rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

May lose job soon, seeking career advice

Hi all. I have a bit of an issue on my hands with my career/life path and I'm seeking advice from wiser, more experienced members on the forum.

I'm 26 years old, currently in a job I do not like, but up till recently was tolerably boring. Primarily involves event planning and non-profit fundraising. It used to be fun since my team's old boss used to hang out with us and drink and bullshit, it was great. The job could be very stressful (I am constantly juggling 2-3 major projects at once) but since we all had that camaraderie it made it bearable. But he has been promoted and transferred to a different part of the country around the same time several new people have been added to upper management and have really changed the culture there- endless mandatory meetings, hard-assed about everything, the whole place has just done a complete 180 in the last 4 months.

It was originally my plan was to quit in June by which point I'd have 12-15k saved up, then jet off to SA for a few months. Unfortunately I may get fired in April. Long story short, I did not meet my fundraising goal last year- I raised more total dollars than anyone else there, but it didn't matter. (since I work in relatively affluent area, I am held to a higher standard than most of my peers). The new upper management doesn't like me, and I believe they want me gone, but since I have been there 3 years (doing well most of the time) it was cheaper to put me on probation than hire a replacement.

If I don't reach a fundraising goal by April I will be let go. I've made progress, but due to the shitty economy and incompetence of people I am working with on my campaign, we may not reach it.

By that time, I will have around $8k in the bank. I have been taking lessons in bartending just for fun but now that may be something I have to fall back on.

If I lose job, current thinking is this:

A) Fly off to SA for 2-3 months for a few months a Spanish, rejuvenation and chasing tail

B) delay trip indefinitely, finish bartending course, network with others in the area for the field I am interesting in (film industry).

I really, really want to get the hell out of the US for a while but I am always thinking "how long will the money last? What am I gonna do? How will this affect my life and career?"

Sorry if this is post is all over the place, this situation has been causing me tremendous anxiety and stress- my personal goals, including game, have been sidelined as I come home physically and mentally exhausted each day. I haven't felt like myself in months. I am so tired of doing shit I don't like to do just to earn money.

Any constructive advice is appreciated. Thanks.

The Peru Thread
"Feminists exist in a quantum super-state in which they are both simultaneously the victim and the aggressor." - Milo Yiannopoulos

Quit before they can fire you.
Start looking for another job now. Like today.
If you know you're gonna get fired, just put all your energy into finding a better job.

No use in trying to please people who will never like you.

I quit a job last year when they tried to put me on probation. I was working with a bunch of non-profit dykes (man:women ratio was around 1:10). All of them were either scissoring each other during lunch or divorced living in an apartment filled with cats.

So I left and went to Ukraine. Now, for obvious reasons that may not be a great idea now, but I found out that:
-There are feminine, good-looking women in this world who cook, clean, wash (and starch) clothes and want to fuck your American brains out.
-You can live comfortably teaching English in much of the world without TEFL degree or even a work visa.

So now I'm in Thailand and the situation is similar.

I'd recommend selling your car (if u have) and taking your 8k abroad for 6 months.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Also nothing like being able to tear up that probation slip when they tell you to sign on the dotted line while saying, "fuuuck yooou!"

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Which country are you in?

I am guessing in the US?

Sounds like you are an employee instead of a contractor.

Get fired take the unemployment. Don't give them CAUSE, which means you were belligerent or whatever, failing to hit goals happens in a tough economy and is understandable.

Do you want to continue fundraising in the future? If not, not sure how it affects your career.

You explain in future interviews - tough economy etc. You get a reference from your previous boss - if he likes you and glows about you, a future employer won't care.

I don't want to be a total asshole - but if you feel like you were picked on unfairly, you could always hint at a lawsuit (but being a male, assuming white - might be harder) and they give you severance.

I think you are leaving money on the table.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I'm not sure which State you're in, but firing someone for a lack of sales or not generating enough new business is not a fireable offense. These are beyond anyone's control. Think about it, a company or a sales person can't literally control how much they can sell, factors like competition, the economy, the particular market or product are all factors beyond your control.

They can fire you, but they would either have to prove that you were not doing anything to try to improve your situation, slacking off, not showing up for work, disregarding job duties etc. or they would have to pay you unemployment.

As a former manager I could not fire someone for lack of sales, so I would have to find, document, go through the motions of verbal and written warnings for fireable offenses unrelated to their sales performance, then fire them. If you are past an agreed upon probationary period (appears you are) and are not being reprimanded for fireable offenses, then wait it out, let them fire you and collect unemployment.

Most States either mail it to your house or direct deposit it, you usually just have to telephone it in and push a few buttons. If you have someone you trust, they can do it for you and deposit the checks so you can travel around while being paid. However, you do risk the random call for you to come and check in personally. Each State has a different proceedure so check. But as someone who had come from a sales and management background and know people who have done this, it seems like an easy way to collect and go.

Quote: (03-14-2014 10:36 AM)Eddie Morra Wrote:  

However, you do risk the random call for you to come and check in personally. Each State has a different proceedure so check. But as someone who had come from a sales and management background and know people who have done this, it seems like an easy way to collect and go.

+1000

OP, I would suggest you take some time and understand how unemployment and how they check on you in your state. That would be a high ROI on your time.

Figure out how much you would get. See if you could live on it. I know you wanted to bolt to SA. But if you were highly motivated and could survive on unemployment, stay in town or state, you could do the following:

1) Save some money, if possible. Maybe move to cheaper digs, share an apt
2) workout a ton
3) make your own food - better quality and cheaper - I have been on a cooking binge and enjoying it. At least I know what I am eating
4) Practice gaming/stay out late partying whateveter
5) Learn spanish
6) Develop online business/freelance busineses

I believe unemployment applies statewide. Is there a cooler place to live?

If you can make the numbers work, you would be on a paid sabbatical. You can use this time to reset your life for the long term.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Agree with samx3 110%

If you go the hint-at-lawsuit route, here are the keywords that will strike fear into the HR department:
"Discrimination" and "hostile workplace"

I tried it. It didn't work. If you are a 26-year-old white male, it probably won't work for you either but worth a try.

Even if you don't "get yourself fired," you've already admitted guilt by accepting a probation correction plan so they can fire you without fault. Wait six weeks and collect unemployment while you travel.

Think I'm joking? That's exactly what I did. Laughed all the way to the bank.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Actually, you can even travel across the States or abroad for that matter (a little riskier) and draw on the unemployment. I think now you can get up to almost 2 years or so as they keep extending it. I know someone who went to Europe while drawing his umemployment from his bank account off his ATM card. If they call you in, it's usually for an appointment. You may have some lead time to hop on a quick flight back depending on where you are.

Fundraising from high net worth individuals is a good skill to have, but you should absolutely get the hell out of NGO-land. It's toxic. The pay is generally low. And those at the top can make good money, but the people who make it to the top are the ones with the most social and family connections. It's a career field full if rich kids ad women married to rich dudes. And they dot need the money, so that's pushing compensation down.

You should find a way to leverage the fundraising and get into something more real. Maybe link up with some finace types or tech guys and raise money for a startup.

Hey man -- Do not mean to demotivate, but $8k in the bank at 26 is not really that much - By around 30-35 your body will start slowing down -- Now is the time to stack as much cash as possible. If I were you and could not immediately find comparable employment I would at least take a job at a restaurant which would help you eventually leverage your bartending certificate while you look for other work. Save up money and invest in yourself, invest in a business idea, etc. Stack that cash at least for a few years, so that you can party it up a few years down the road! If you do want to travel, try to line up a job teaching English or something along those lines, but also be thinking about how you can make start some kind of business where people are working for you and helping you make more $.

I imagine in that industry you have a lot of clietns and contacts. Make copies of everyones emails and contact info and everything before you leave. If you've done a good job for your clients you may have some people eager to hire you. Also if you have any desire to get into that industry for yourself down teh road that could be helpful.

@se7en: if this playa is US-based, 25 y/o, not laden with 100k uni debt and has 8k in his account he is doing pretty damn well.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys! Some great advice here, I have some thinking to do.

@Svenski7- you mentioned waiting six weeks before filing for unemployment. Is it normal to have to wait a certain time period before filing? I've researched it for my state (Maryland) but I can't find any rules indicating this.

Looks like they mail pre-paid debit cards to you in MD. Hmm..

As for expenses- very low. Only paying $300 month for rent and only about $11k left in student loans.

Appreciate all the help! Whether travelling or staying here, this would definitely be an opportunity to decompress and hit the reset button on life.

The Peru Thread
"Feminists exist in a quantum super-state in which they are both simultaneously the victim and the aggressor." - Milo Yiannopoulos

Quote: (03-14-2014 10:08 PM)NovaVirtu Wrote:  

@Svenski7- you mentioned waiting six weeks before filing for unemployment. Is it normal to have to wait a certain time period before filing? I've researched it for my state (Maryland) but I can't find any rules indicating this.

Looks like they mail pre-paid debit cards to you in MD. Hmm..

That's a hard one because it varies from state to state. I quit my job and had to wait six weeks to collect unemployment insurance. If you get fired, I believe you can collect immediately. The exception would be if you did something fucked up like steal property (obviously not a problem here).

I've heard some people need to put down the name of businesses and managers they have contacted to continue to receive benefits. Just go through the phone book and look up restaurants. Call them up, ask for a job. If they say no, politely ask if you can put the manager's name of the list of people you contacted. If they say yes...well that's your call.

I don't know what to say about the debit cards. If you travel internationally, this will be hard to pull off. I had the option to get money loaded up on a Chase card or direct deposited to my bank account. I chose the bank deposit.

Maybe a friend can intercept the cards in the mail, use them and they deposit the cash in your checking account?

Keep us updated on this.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

OP, I was in a very similar situation where the change in management made the job a complete PITA.I was turned down for several promotions in my department and others until I became apathetic about the job. They found a ticky tack reason to fire me but I took my savings and unemployment to do what everyone else here suggested and re-evaluate. I ended up moving to a new city several hundred miles away, becoming self employed, and having a much different satisfaction with life. The drawback is that I haven't replaced the money in my savings that I burned through during that time a couple of years back. I also regret not doing any traveling during that time, so take a couple of weeks or a month overseas if you can.

Personally I'd recommend finding another job because of your age, taking a two week vacation somewhere just to refuel and start thinking about collecting that savings pile before you decide to fly off to a far flung foreign destination. Think about clearing your loan, cutting all ties with any financial debt, that way when you do decide to leave you really will be free. You're young, make most of your earning potential now.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

I recommend updating your resume and looking for another job immediately.

I would rather be fired or laid off than quit voluntarily. That way you can collect unemployment.

This is especially true if you could care less about staying in the industry you're in. It's a little riskier if you're going to rely on your current coworkers and managers to give future references, but if they want to fire you what good are they anyway?

My $.02

- I'm in agreement with j_r, non profit is a toxic environment
- you should go into sales in private sector
- apply whatever time you are wasting at job to getting a job (e.g if you are doing Facebook or this site, replace with sending resumes)
- practice your pitch on why you are leaving ("I'm eager to apply sales skills from raising money to private sector because..."). Most importantly, believe it and make sure you want to take yourself to next level
- never mention that you are leaving because your boss left or performance or any other "it isn't my fault stuff", just moving on
- for love of all that is holy, don't be an able bodied 26yr old man living on the dole of unemployment. Might sound cool and relaxing now and this will be really expensive later

This is a big opportunity to make a change for the better. Pushing yourself hard in your twenties is critical. You can work on building yourself like a maniac and still make time for chasing tail. If you don't work hard in your twenties this will bit you in the ass by the time in your early thirties (right around corner)

And on another note (and for benefit of all), never underestimate how easy it is for an employer to unload an unwanted employee. Even in the nanny state of California. Not able to can you for not meeting performance goals? BS. This "you can't fire me" is a weak mentality to have at best.

Well, tomorrow is the big day; I have my review at end of the work day and I find out if they are firing me or not.

I did not make the fundraising goal, so all signs point to them giving me the axe. I don't care. It will be good to be free of that place. Like ripping off a band-aid.

I've made so many phone calls and reconnected with so many people I haven't seen in months. Some are trying to help me out with a new gig, inviting me to visit, etc... I'm optimistic- it's going to feel great to have my life back.

Thanks to everyone here who offered advice, it was and is greatly appreciated.

The Peru Thread

Will you be eligible for a redundancy package if they let you go?

I can't stress this enough : ALWAYS be looking for a new job EVEN if you have one now.

Too many people think they have to wait to market themselves until they LOSE their job. That's not true.

It's like girls; do you settle for one or "interview" as you're slaying. Same concept.

There are a lot of things you can do to market yourself now. For example, take a day off just to do a few interviews if you can, go to lunch with people etc. etc.

Look out for my ROK article in a couple weeks that breaks down what you can do NOW.

Feel free to PM me as well. I'm going through the same issue. I may have 3 months left until I either get let go or I can't stand it anymore.

Well it's all over- here's how it went down:

Worked a normal day then called in for review at the end of the day. My boss, her boss (did I mention my immediate supervisor was a woman?), his boss (the COO) and the HR lady all sat down with me and went over the terms of my probation, and, as expected I was told yesterday was my last day. I was not fired with CAUSE, just due to performance.

I will be paid for my final 2 expense reports, beginning of the month thru yesterday, plus 1 month's pay and three vacation day's pay.

Not a bad severance- I was fully expecting them to pull some shenanigans with my pay and came prepared to go to war, but things ended pretty amicably. Handed over my key and laptop and that was that.

Had my exit interview with the aforementioned HR lady morning and answered some questions about how the new management sucks, etc...she told me I was eligible for rehire in 6 months if I choose and she would agree to sign off on unemployment benefits if I apply for them. HR people get a lot of hate on RVF (with good reason) but she and I have always gotten along well she was very nice and helpful. (Interestingly she predicted this was the beginning of an exodus of sorts of staff members, including most of my former team)

My old boss and colleagues have all offered to be references for me, and another coworker is trying to hook me up with a bartending gig with a company he moonlights for.

Things ended about as well as they could have. Thanks again to all the RVF brothers for the advice. I'll put it to the best use I can.

For all you cats out there in a similar situation- I hope this thread was of benefit to you as well. If you took only one thing away from my story, let it be this; we are on this earth for a brief flicker of time. Don't spend that time doing things that make you miserable. I was working a job that sucked the life out of me and spent the majority of my waking hours doing things I didn't like to do and didn't want to do. I woke up day after day thinking "Why am I doing this?"

Don't be one of those people.

Find that path that's right for you and get on it, NOW- or at least begin devising a plan to get on it.

In the meantime- it's time for me to decompress, and enjoy a little "funemployment". I could describe how I feel right now, but I think Jesse Pinkman paints a better picture:

PS: Oh yeah, now I can bang that Hatian girl in the accounting office who's been eyeing me for months and not get in trouble [Image: icon_lol.gif]

Cheers

The Peru Thread

Man up and quit. It pains me to see guys hang on to the bitter, bitter end.

I got fired last month. I felt like sh*t for 48 hours, then I manned up, got some new skills and hit the job boards with a vengeance.

The result? For the first time in my life I turned down a job offer.

Coping with redundancy/being fired is one of the most important life skills a dude can learn.

Small side tip for UK guys in the same boat: If you think it will take you a while to find a new gig, don't walk out, and don't get fired for misconduct. Both mean you can't claim unemployment benefit.

Edit: Just spotted your update OP. Well good luck, it seems you're on the right path.

[Image: banana.gif]

Quote: (03-14-2014 10:14 AM)svenski7 Wrote:  

I quit a job last year when they tried to put me on probation. I was working with a bunch of non-profit dykes (man:women ratio was around 1:10). All of them were either scissoring each other during lunch or divorced living in an apartment filled with cats.

So I left and went to Ukraine. Now, for obvious reasons that may not be a great idea now, but I found out that:
-There are feminine, good-looking women in this world who cook, clean, wash (and starch) clothes and want to fuck your American brains out.
-You can live comfortably teaching English in much of the world without TEFL degree or even a work visa.

So now I'm in Thailand and the situation is similar.

I'd recommend selling your car (if u have) and taking your 8k abroad for 6 months.

I agree with this option. You did not mention whether you have a college degree. Any degree would help your marketability, but you can still absolutely teach English in many places without one. You don't even need a degree to take the Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) which is the most recognized and legit TEFL course worldwide (there are a lot of scam TEFL courses). I took the CELTA, which was very difficult but rewarding (paying 2K + living expenses in a city offering a CELTA may be out of your price range). However, you can combine traveling with taking the CELTA and, provided you pass, can teach English nearly anywhere you want. You can take the course in the country that you want to move to, thus decrease living expenses (compared to the US) and have a much better chance of landing a job immediately (compared to taking the course in the US). I'm in Latin America, obviously, but part of me really wanted to go to Russia or another country in eastern Europe. I looove Russian women. Maybe someday...

Teaching also helps you be a leader, be social, be authoritative- all attractive qualities.