rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Are genuine sunglasses a good investment?

Hi all,

Since summer is coming and The Netherlands is (finally) showing some signs of good weather, I decided to get my sunglasses out their box where they have been for a long time. I came to the suprise that my favourite sunglasses is broken, so I am about to buy a new one. While I was searching for cool, cheap sunglasses I found pretty expensive sunglasses too. The price was close to 200euro's.

Now my question: is buying a genuine fesigner sunglasses a good investment? Obviously I could also but a fake one but I don't know if a fake one is worth it.

Thank you in advance.

If they do not block the UV. Then the UV rays are going to go straight through your pupil and fry the shit out of your retina.
After many years of wearing $4 Ray Bans, what do you think is going to happen?
Its absolutely worth it in areas where there is depleted ozone layer or any hot sunny country. In Australia you HAVE to wear sunglasses.

If its just for looks.... The majority of people who pay $800 for sunglasses are not wearing genuine brands anyway.

All you get is a bullshit warranty.

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.

The vast majority of sunglasses are made by a single company: Luxxotica. Yes, even designer sunglasses. I would not pay more than about $100 for a pair.

Ultraviolet keratitis, or snow blindness, is the exposure of insufficiently protected eyes to UV light. It is basically the outer layer of the cornea protecting the rest of your eye being eaten away. Obviously this is an extreme example, but over the course of a lifetime of exposure protecting your eyes will help. Like was stated above, 5$ glasses are doing you nothing.

100$ a pair plus or minus about 40$ is my price range for sunglasses. I'd rather have 2 or 3 quality pair than 15 shitty pairs.

Quote: (03-14-2014 07:07 AM)Menace Wrote:  

The vast majority of sunglasses are made by a single company: Luxxotica. Yes, even designer sunglasses. I would not pay more than about $100 for a pair.

Exactly. The $200 pair of sunglasses is made on the exact same machine right next to the $50 pair. You're paying extra for the branding.

Personally, I buy $5 pairs, because I consistently lose them. I also wear contacts that have UV protection, though.

Hi all, I know that $500 dollars sunglasses don't differ too much in terms of quality from $100 dollars sunglasses. My question was: is it worth investing in a genuine one? So a genuine designer vs a fake designer. A real rayban vs a fake rayban(for example).

I know that I mostly pay for the designer, but I don't care. I like the design and I am willing to pay for it; that is also one of the reasons I want the glasses. I find them beautiful.

Thanks for the comments.

Polarized comfortable sunglasses are a great investment. I have had the same pair for like 4 years I wear them everyday. I think I paid 140 usd for them.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

I wear Maui Jims.

Team Nachos

Polarized Ray-Ban Aviators.

/thread

Quote: (03-14-2014 09:56 AM)Vicious Wrote:  

Polarized Ray-Ban Club Masters.

/thread

I started buying more expensive sunglasses 2 or 3 years ago. In my opinion it is definitely worth it.

My current go-to is a pair of vintage 60s Ray ban aviators. My barber gave me them for free last summer. I really want to upgrade to Persol 649s though.

Any one know of custom glasses? My face and head are too large for majority of sunglasses I've ever tried on. Last pair I had I let a buddy borrow and he 'lost' them.

Quote: (03-14-2014 10:08 AM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Any one know of custom glasses? My face and head are too large for majority of sunglasses I've ever tried on. Last pair I had I let a buddy borrow and he 'lost' them.

http://www.fatheadz.com

Sunglasses for dudes with huge domes.

I guess it depends on if your someoene who takes care of sunglasses. I know I'll lose them or break them so I shell out enough to get a halfway decent pair that actually work and protects your eyes but no need to spend $500 just to get a pair of sunglasses that work.

I find the plastic type glasses hold up better than wire frames however I prefer wire frames which bend and break so easy so I normally get a cheaper pair but still uv protected and everything

I can't say much about Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses but i heard a lot about cheap sunglasses being very dangerous
I say cheap meaning cheap like those
[Image: 20130216100048_DSC_7610.JPG]

"Go be fat on someone else's time."

Quote: (03-14-2014 10:23 AM)Doctor Wrote:  

Quote: (03-14-2014 10:08 AM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

http://www.fatheadz.com

Sunglasses for dudes with huge domes.

Thank you. Those will do the job. I'd love a classic ray ban or aviator look though. I will wear these for function and not style.

I'm fairly certain that my hard contact lenses have UV protection.

I buy my sunglasses at walmart for around $10 a pair, there IS a UV sticker on them however.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Quote: (03-14-2014 07:37 AM)j r Wrote:  

Personally, I buy $5 pairs, because I consistently lose them. I also wear contacts that have UV protection, though.

how do you lose jeans man?

Quote: (03-14-2014 11:04 AM)monster Wrote:  

Quote: (03-14-2014 07:37 AM)j r Wrote:  

how do you lose jeans man?

Are you a Native English Speaker or just being funny? We refer to glasses, jeans, trousers (pants in US English) etc. using the word "pair" as a quantifier.

Guys might want to check out http://www.warbyparker.com/ for sunglasses. For most of the pairs you can get free home try on, which is pretty important with glasses. Never tried them myself, but might consider getting a pair of tortoise shells.

Some faces look good in almost any pair of sunglasses...jealous of that.

Not all high end sunglasses are created equal. Saying they come off a factory line is together with $30 dollar glasses is wrong.

Many high end frames have to be made by hand. Persol for example are handmade. That in itself will have the minimum cost for retail at probably $150.

They key is to shop around. A pair of Carrera might not feel that different than a pair of knock offs. Some knock offs are decent and when companies try and dumb down their product and put them into mass production they are then ripe for the fake market.

I have two pair of Ray Ban Wayfarer. One I paid $100 and they are legit. The other I paid $30 for and they are fake. I can tell a slight difference, but its mostly the weight that I feel in the lens. The frames are fairly close.

Some of the more expensive glasses the store can use heat guns and stuff to get a better fit. With the cheap ones, they just usually snap if you try to modify the fit at all. I think they're worth it, as long as you stick with one pair that looks good with your face.

I have a question.

Does anyone know any good racing glasses?
Shitloads of people on my team wear Oakleys, but I do not have Oakley money.

Nope.

I haven't bought a pair in years. I have the luck to occasionally find sunglasses without having to pay for them. (The downside is I often break them as well.)

I've had these for awhile:
[Image: attachment.jpg17595]   

Basic tortoise wayfarers with built-in bottle openers. Looks like they retail at about 10 bucks.

Lens are the most important part of sunglasses. The best you can get is polarized UV A and B protection with ophthalmic quality lens. They can run you over 100-200 for the lens alone. Ophthalmic lens have no distortion, unlike a cheap pair of sunglasses. The distortion can be as bad as seeing a halo around letters, which will tire you out quickly. Polarized lens allow you to see the fish in murky waters, and the some hidden things in glass. I would also think a metal frame would last you a lot longer if you leave the sunglasses in the car a lot. The car can heat up hot enough in direct sunlight to comprise the plastic holding the lens in. When you make a pair of glasses with a plastic frame you, you use heat to get the lens to stretch a bit to fit the lens in. If it gets hot again it can get loose.