rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Used Car Selection

Used Car Selection

Planning to buy a used car for around $7000. Just moved to Austin from NYC and realized you need a car for almost everything over here. I'm 24 years of age, just started working. Not looking for Honda Civics and Toyata Camrys.
I'm looking for a car with a bit of personality & character and fun to drive.
Something like a Mini Cooper or Mazda MX 5. I'm open to suggestions.

Used Car Selection

Nor sure what the car market in Austin is like but have you considered a diesel VW - Jetta TDI or Passat TDI. I can only imagine gas prices will be going higher as we head into the summer so diesel may help save you a bit at the pump.

Used Car Selection

Id buy a diesel jetta if I knew how to work on it. Put 7 down, get a prius or other hybrid that does not devaluate as fast as other cars. Keep it in great shape and sell it when time comes

Used Car Selection

Even though Emech talks mad shit about them you could get a mid 80s 944 for 7k

[Image: 1986+Porsche+944+Turbo.jpg]

Also:
mid-90s mustang
late 60s VW Karmann Ghia
Hyundai Tiburon

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Used Car Selection

How much are you willing to put into maintenance is the question.
Old Porsche would be a serious drain. Not to mention Karmann Ghia.
I would go for e46 328i/330i mint condition and keep some bucks for maintenance apart from purchase price.
Where I'm from we say "TDi engines are for senior citizens". And I fully support this having driven companys Golf 1,9 TDi for some time. Joy killer.

Used Car Selection

I just spent a lot of time looking for a car in that price range, ended up paying $10000 but I think I got a fair deal (price includes a 4 year warranty)

That being said what is your number 1 priority for your car?

Gas mileage
Resale value/depreciation
Reliability
Insurance costs
Repair costs
Looks
Performance
Interior luxuries
Etc

For $7000 you can get mediocre in all those fields but just pick a few categories and look for the best car of that kind.

Girls don't really care too much about cars. As long as you keep it clean and its not falling apart. I got a new car. A few weeks back , fully loaded. It's relatively quick, sounds nice, and has some aesthetic modifications etx. Girls like it, but it's hardly a game changer.

As for the hybrid/diesel cars just be cautious. They're more to fix and not all they're cracked up to be from what I've read. If you're driving so much that the slightly lower mpg of a gas car (like a civic) is going to break the bank I'd re-evaluate your money situation instead of getting a hybrid

Get an older coupe with lots of features.Throw a cold air intake in, tint the windos, get some rims, chrome accents, aftermarketstereo etc. Enoug personalization so that your car is yourown but not so much that it breaks the bank. If you were looking for performance money wouldn't really be your main concern.

If you want mileage/reliability:
Civics/accords, Mazda 3s, Celica/tiburon, vw golf , ford fusion

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-09-2014 03:50 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Also:
mid-90s mustang
late 60s VW Karmann Ghia
Hyundai Tiburon

this one looks good. if i can get one id be all over it.

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-09-2014 04:18 PM)artur jedi Wrote:  

How much are you willing to put into maintenance is the question.
Old Porsche would be a serious drain. Not to mention Karmann Ghia.
I would go for e46 328i/330i mint condition and keep some bucks for maintenance apart from purchase price.
Where I'm from we say "TDi engines are for senior citizens". And I fully support this having driven companys Golf 1,9 TDi for some time. Joy killer.

not looking for a porsche. i also have to consider the insurance premium and at my age they tend to be high.

i like the e46 328i lets see if i can get one in my budget

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-09-2014 04:19 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

I just spent a lot of time looking for a car in that price range, ended up paying $10000 but I think I got a fair deal (price includes a 4 year warranty)

That being said what is your number 1 priority for your car?

Gas mileage
Resale value/depreciation
Reliability
Insurance costs
Repair costs
Looks
Performance
Interior luxuries
Etc

For $7000 you can get mediocre in all those fields but just pick a few categories and look for the best car of that kind.

Girls don't really care too much about cars. As long as you keep it clean and its not falling apart. I got a new car. A few weeks back , fully loaded. It's relatively quick, sounds nice, and has some aesthetic modifications etx. Girls like it, but it's hardly a game changer.

As for the hybrid/diesel cars just be cautious. They're more to fix and not all they're cracked up to be from what I've read. If you're driving so much that the slightly lower mpg of a gas car (like a civic) is going to break the bank I'd re-evaluate your money situation instead of getting a hybrid

Get an older coupe with lots of features.Throw a cold air intake in, tint the windos, get some rims, chrome accents, aftermarketstereo etc. Enoug personalization so that your car is yourown but not so much that it breaks the bank. If you were looking for performance money wouldn't really be your main concern.

If you want mileage/reliability:
Civics/accords, Mazda 3s, Celica/tiburon, vw golf , ford fusion

which one did you get ?
i was looking at a mini cooper yesterday. its a 2006 model, has a 100,000 miles on it. the dealer finally brought it down to $8000 with finance. if i paid in cash i believe he will give it for $6500.

i used to drive my girl's mazda 3 back in nyc for almost a year. its a great car but i want something different.

would you say that a convertible has more lets say 'sex appeal'?

Used Car Selection

Why would a dealer sell it to you for less just because you pay cash?

hint-Dealers make money on the financing. They want you to finance. Not pay cash.

Get your own financing to save money. Cash won't do it.

You can get an e46 for less than the 7 grand you have to spend, but figure on spending at least a grand on regular maintenance unless it has had the upkeep done, verified by records and an independent inspection. Cooling systems basically need to be replaced along with several other things once you are over 75K. A grand is if you do the work yourself.

Note-I have an E46, so this is the voice of experience. Yes, I will sell it with all the stuff replaced if interested.

I really don't get all the foreign car shit for a daily driver when you don't have much to spend. You guys have no idea what the maintenance is on these things. Pick up a 2006 Buick La Crosse for 4 grand and drive the wheels off it. Reliable as hell and if anything does break it's at least 50% cheaper to fix.

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-09-2014 03:02 PM)sinnerman Wrote:  

Planning to buy a used car for around $7000. Just moved to Austin from NYC and realized you need a car for almost everything over here. I'm 24 years of age, just started working. Not looking for Honda Civics and Toyata Camrys.
I'm looking for a car with a bit of personality & character and fun to drive.
Something like a Mini Cooper or Mazda MX 5. I'm open to suggestions.

I was looking for a car about a year ago. Unless your pulling in good money I think it's better to be practical. Sure I would have loved to get a Cadillac CTS or something like that, maybe even a Mercedes but repairs are expensive, not great warranties, not great on gas. I wound up going with an elantra, a newer one, was planning on buying used but with my past few cars being nothing but money pits figured id go for something with a good warranty and good gas. Hardly a player car but I got a bumper to bumper warranty up to 100k miles and am getting about 36 miles a gallon.

I'm doing a bit better finaically in the past year so have been considering maybe picking up a used 540 or something like that but just don't see a reason for it at this time.

My main thing with cars is dont stunt if you dont got money. I have tons of buddies working low paying jobs driving bmw's and mercedes and stuff, got car loans for like 10k to 15k at like 18% interest costing them a fortune and they are always putting money into the cars. I know we got a lot of beamer drivers on here but my old one was nothing but headaches nothing huge but constantly taking it in for rattling noises, electric problems, lights out, etc. Couple of my buddies have similar issues

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-09-2014 08:34 PM)sinnerman Wrote:  

which one did you get ?
i was looking at a mini cooper yesterday. its a 2006 model, has a 100,000 miles on it. the dealer finally brought it down to $8000 with finance. if i paid in cash i believe he will give it for $6500.

i used to drive my girl's mazda 3 back in nyc for almost a year. its a great car but i want something different.

would you say that a convertible has more lets say 'sex appeal'?

I got one of the cars I suggested with some of the modifications. Low KM for the year which was good.

Girls do like convertibles, but theres more that can go wrong with it.

That being said if I were you I'd figure out something that goes with your style, but is cheap to maintain, reliable, low milage, no accidents etc (like what hotwheels suggested) and go with that for now. Save extra cash for a car you really want one day. Once you start driving around in it you'll realize a nice car isn't really all its cracked up to be (unless you want to make the sacrifices to have one).

I really wanted a g37 or a cadillac CTS. I 'could' have gotten one but would have been a broke-ass motherfucker after buying it. Gas, insurance, new tires, maintenance, repairs etc. all add up. I'd rather have the extra thousands over the time of ownership to spend on more useful stuff.

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-10-2014 08:59 AM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

My main thing with cars is dont stunt if you dont got money. I have tons of buddies working low paying jobs driving bmw's and mercedes and stuff, got car loans for like 10k to 15k at like 18% interest costing them a fortune and they are always putting money into the cars. I know we got a lot of beamer drivers on here but my old one was nothing but headaches nothing huge but constantly taking it in for rattling noises, electric problems, lights out, etc. Couple of my buddies have similar issues

bingo

I picked up my E46 convertible as a fun summertime car. It is NOT my daily driver and if I was looking for a daily driver it would not have even made my list.

Even at that Mech warned me about buying it. It hasn't been bad but it is not for the faint of heart. Entire cooling system replaced, EGR system and suspension work. All before 75K. And currently there is something wrong with the electrics as it drains the battery and the Vanos seals need to be done.

If the tranny goes, not uncommon, that will be 3 or 4 grand.

No problems with the top. Yet.

Anyone that has 7 grand to spend on a daily driver is nuts to buy an older luxury car. Your fronting will cost a lot of money in keeping it on the road.

Buy something non descript that is reliable and you will be much happier.

Edit-I like how guys are considering CTS'. Finally making inroads on the German only mentality. I wanted a ragtop, hence the Beemer. Only Caddy option was the XLR and I'm not really a fan of those.

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-10-2014 10:27 AM)Hotwheels Wrote:  

bingo

I picked up my E46 convertible as a fun summertime car. It is NOT my daily driver and if I was looking for a daily driver it would not have even made my list.

Even at that Mech warned me about buying it. It hasn't been bad but it is not for the faint of heart. Entire cooling system replaced, EGR system and suspension work. All before 75K. And currently there is something wrong with the electrics as it drains the battery and the Vanos seals need to be done.

Anyone that has 7 grand to spend on a daily driver is nuts to buy an older luxury car. Your fronting will cost a lot of money in keeping it on the road.

Edit-I like how guys are considering CTS'. Finally making inroads on the German only mentality. I wanted a ragtop, hence the Beemer. Only Caddy option was the XLR and I'm not really a fan of those.

It's always perplexed me why the luxury vehicles which are supposed to be true drivers cars are the worst in terms of reliability and maintenance costs.

Does anyone know why this is? All I can figure is they build a car for performance but in a sense its like a finely tuned machine where as your economy cars are not built for performance just built not to break. Any truth to that? Maybe someone who's good with cars can comment I'm not very mechanical.

Agree thogh, if you wanna get a fun car for the weekends or for dates or for summer by all means get what you want but dont buy a 10 year old luxury car as your sole car and daily driver.

My bmw drove great, felt solid, you definately feel the quality and performance but always had stuff going wrong from tie rods to cooling system to electrical stuff.

Used Car Selection

bingo

These guys are awesome

http://www.drvanos.com/

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-10-2014 11:01 AM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

bingo

It's always perplexed me why the luxury vehicles which are supposed to be true drivers cars are the worst in terms of reliability and maintenance costs.

Does anyone know why this is? All I can figure is they build a car for performance but in a sense its like a finely tuned machine where as your economy cars are not built for performance just built not to break. Any truth to that? Maybe someone who's good with cars can comment I'm not very mechanical.

Agree thogh, if you wanna get a fun car for the weekends or for dates or for summer by all means get what you want but dont buy a 10 year old luxury car as your sole car and daily driver.

My bmw drove great, felt solid, you definately feel the quality and performance but always had stuff going wrong from tie rods to cooling system to electrical stuff.

In my opinion they build them to make it through the warranty period. 4 years/50,000 miles. And even then they are in the shop a fair bit for warranty work. Warranty work isn't such a big deal for the buyers as they generally have more than one car and get a loaner anyway. They get the "prestige" implied by the badge.

Things like suspension bushings are designed primarily for performance and NVH qualities, not longevity, so they end up being shot before 70k.

German cars are notorious for this but seemingly get by on the "German Engineering" meme. That just reminds me of the Tiger tanks of WWII. Great machines when they worked. Too complicated to be reliable. Germans do the same with their cars.

They are great cars when new and under warranty. Not so much with some miles on them and you have to foot the maintenance bills. This effect can be seen when it comes to resale as they drop like stones past warranty.

Used Car Selection

Well about 3 series. The same shit breaks on all of them and it's a one day job to change ALL of it.

That 944 is a different story though. Everything breaks and after you fix it all you have to start over again.

Used Car Selection

How are the newer 3's? The E46's are not bad to work on but I hear the newer ones are a pain in the ass.

Saying that, I MUCH prefer wrenching the '70 442 W30 versus the Krautmobile.

edit-And how bad is the final stage resistor or whatever the fuck it's called to get at? It seems thats the common cause of draining the battery.

Used Car Selection

^ you know what was a surprisingly easy car to work on? Never Mitsubishi Lancers, including the evolution. I could actually look into the hood and identify parts, reach them with my hands easily and pull things apart without having to take off other parts. The evolution also breaks small things all the time so its a perfect car for anyone looking to learn some auto skills in your own garage. Evolution is not a good daily driver though. Girls seem to like the ralliart well enough though and AWD is fantastic if you deal with winter.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Used Car Selection

Great advice everyone. I think the beamer will have to wait for another day then.

Does anyone here have experience with mini, acura or mazda rx8 ?

Used Car Selection

Anyone have experience with Land Rovers? I know they are extremely unrealiable but its hard to beat their prices when you buy one that is 7 years old and it has depreciated 80%. I know it sounds strange but I almost want to buy a high mileage one. The way I look at it is that if someone drove it 150k miles it either must not be a lemon or they have already footed the bill for the expensive repair work.

Used Car Selection

[Image: one-does-not-simply-fix-a-landrover.jpg]

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-09-2014 03:50 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

plus 7K for the mechanic

Used Car Selection

Quote: (03-10-2014 11:41 PM)ridiculous_nicholas Wrote:  

Anyone have experience with Land Rovers? I know they are extremely unrealiable but its hard to beat their prices when you buy one that is 7 years old and it has depreciated 80%. I know it sounds strange but I almost want to buy a high mileage one. The way I look at it is that if someone drove it 150k miles it either must not be a lemon or they have already footed the bill for the expensive repair work.

Same question here...I was looking to buy a 2003-2004 Discovery in perfect cosmetic shape. Bad idea or good idea? They seem to look cool and drive in all terrain and are under 6 k.

Used Car Selection

2004-2007 Acura TL
Don't let the high mileage scare you away.
They are very reliable for the money

Heres a good article on those Rovers...DO NOT TOUCH ONE WITHOUT A WARRANTY!
http://dougdemuro.jalopnik.com/why-your-...-814250605