rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

ADD, Tips on How to Stop being Stupid

Hi Roosh and People,

I have "Attention Deficit Disorder", which means specifically for me:
-Spending endless hours at the Computer not doing anything [browsing the Web, Starting different Videogames and Quitting them after ten minutes.]

I wondered if someone has the same problem? Often I zone out, stare at the wall and spend hours in front of my pc not doing anything just similar to a zombie browsing. [ heh yes in common interpretation this would be called stupidity ]

I came up with this:
-Get your own Apartment
-Check Testosterone Levels
-Check Thyroid Levels
-No P00n
-Replacing The Computer with MMA, Kickboxing and Gym

There's basic software that will "kill" your internet for a set period of time after a certain amount of use. It seems like you need more structure to your schedule more than anything.

Quote: (03-06-2014 10:20 AM)EisenBarde Wrote:  

There's basic software that will "kill" your internet for a set period of time after a certain amount of use. It seems like you need more structure to your schedule more than anything.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah this will be one brutal thing quitting my internet. I'm off for awhile now and see how it goes.

Quote: (03-06-2014 10:06 AM)KidfromGermany Wrote:  

Hi Roosh and People,

-Spending endless hours at the Computer not doing anything [browsing the Web, Starting different Videogames and Quitting them after ten minutes.]

I wondered if someone has the same problem? Often I zone out, stare at the wall and spend hours in front of my pc not doing anything just similar to a zombie browsing. [ heh yes in common interpretation this would be called stupidity ]

I came up with this:
-Get your own Apartment
-Check Thyroid Levels
-No P00n

I have ADD myself, at least was diagnosed with it. I don't mean to trivialize it but I think these days everything is a copout. At what point do we draw the line between someone being undisciplined and someone having a legitimate disoreder. I think the term ADD gets thrown around way too much.

Don't get me wrong I know it's real, if I sit at a desk in an office for hours I get to the point where I literally feel like my skin is crawling and I want to scream adn pull out my hair so I get what you mean.

Here's the thing, many very successful people have ADD and to a point if you can direct that nervous energy or energy into something productive and know how you work you can use it to your advantage.

For me I'm constantly learning about myself but one thing I need to do is make a list for myself and no galavanting around the internet aimlessly until my tasks are done. I know exactly what you mean though, I'll make an effort to do some social media marketing or something and next thign I know I'm just browsing the internet or playing on forums.

I would say come up with lists and goals for hte day or even the hour, check those off as you go along. Also, if you know you can only focus on something for 30 minutes do a task for 30 minutes, skip to something else or give yourself 5 minutes to play on the internet and then back to the task for 30 minutes.

This may be am over generalization, but all of the people with ADD I know are among the most sociable and likeable.

Quote: (03-06-2014 12:20 PM)nmmoooreland20 Wrote:  

This may be am over generalization, but all of the people with ADD I know are among the most sociable and likeable.

Your right, many people with ADD are the life of the party or just have that quality you can't put your finger on that makes them very likable, I guess charissma maybe. Not true for all but many people, I think because the hyperactivity just makes you a bit more outgoing.

Me, I'm kinda wierd I guess, I used to be more outgoing, past few months I been getting kinda introverted and just feeling a bit socially awkward, working on getting out more and getting back out of my comfort zone and comming out of this funk.

One thing about ADD from my research when trying to cope with it. There's two probably many more "types" of ADD. There's ADHD whiich is more the hyperactivity part and then there's a silent ADD where your more of a dreamer or your mind wanders. I guess some people are more heaviily one way where as others are more of a hybrid of the two.

I've always kind of dismissed ADD as an exaggerated scapegoating/externalization of needing direction and discipline. If you develop interests/hobbies/passions/etc. that occupy your mind and body and promote personal growth then you should be golden.

Work out, pick up an instrument, learn to cook, do something that is rewarding so it motivates you to keep going. Experiment with different avenues and figure out what you enjoy.

Quote: (03-06-2014 11:47 AM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

I have ADD myself, at least was diagnosed with it. I don't mean to trivialize it but I think these days everything is a copout. At what point do we draw the line between someone being undisciplined and someone having a legitimate disoreder. I think the term ADD gets thrown around way too much.

Don't get me wrong I know it's real, if I sit at a desk in an office for hours I get to the point where I literally feel like my skin is crawling and I want to scream adn pull out my hair so I get what you mean.

Here's the thing, many very successful people have ADD and to a point if you can direct that nervous energy or energy into something productive and know how you work you can use it to your advantage.

For me I'm constantly learning about myself but one thing I need to do is make a list for myself and no galavanting around the internet aimlessly until my tasks are done. I know exactly what you mean though, I'll make an effort to do some social media marketing or something and next thign I know I'm just browsing the internet or playing on forums.

I would say come up with lists and goals for hte day or even the hour, check those off as you go along. Also, if you know you can only focus on something for 30 minutes do a task for 30 minutes, skip to something else or give yourself 5 minutes to play on the internet and then back to the task for 30 minutes.
I have to control my time If I can't do it subconsciously, to solve this bullshit my life currently is. Writing tasks up first thing in the morning and hourly for the first days, will be helpful. I give it a good hit. Wow, nice idea.
Quote: (03-06-2014 12:20 PM)nmmoooreland20 Wrote:  

I heard alot from the Hyperactive part with ADD are more social. I think my attention is shifting away because I have so much chaos in my head. It seems that I literally can't think. I'm highly suspicious that it's relating to having lack of zink, testosterone [??].
Good idea, Thanks.
Quote: (03-06-2014 01:41 PM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

Your right, many people with ADD are the life of the party or just have that quality you can't put your finger on that makes them very likable, I guess charissma maybe. Not true for all but many people, I think because the hyperactivity just makes you a bit more outgoing.

Me, I'm kinda wierd I guess, I used to be more outgoing, past few months I been getting kinda introverted and just feeling a bit socially awkward, working on getting out more and getting back out of my comfort zone and comming out of this funk.

One thing about ADD from my research when trying to cope with it. There's two probably many more "types" of ADD. There's ADHD whiich is more the hyperactivity part and then there's a silent ADD where your more of a dreamer or your mind wanders. I guess some people are more heaviily one way where as others are more of a hybrid of the two.
I always want to scream when I stay long hours of time somewhere. I never do it though, I can always suppress it. It's all on the inside then. Thank you for the hint.
Quote: (03-06-2014 01:58 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

I've always kind of dismissed ADD as an exaggerated scapegoating/externalization of needing direction and discipline. If you develop interests/hobbies/passions/etc. that occupy your mind and body and promote personal growth then you should be golden.

Work out, pick up an instrument, learn to cook, do something that is rewarding so it motivates you to keep going. Experiment with different avenues and figure out what you enjoy.
If I listen to my gut this is what I found out:
Rent a guitar and make some songs. It probably sounds beta but I think everyone has some kind of inner melody and by "inventing" your own songs you know how it sounds like.
Going to the Gym or, or even additionally going to a Kickboxing or MMA Beginner Course will maybe lay new neurological pathways, that help my brain coming to its senses again.
If I check my hormones then and fix them, I bet my ADD Stuff is just the result of sitting in my room allday. A common cliche is that prisoners go insane when you leave them too long in solitary confinement.
Thanks for the response.

Dude, I have ADHD. Mom fought to keep me off meds as a kid.

The best thing that has helped my attention span has been lifting and eating right. A high protein, fat, and carb diet mixed with a routine of heavy compound lifts will make you new man.

I read somewhere it has been theorized that in the past ADD/ADHD sufferers were actually hunters in original hunter/gather societies. This definitely rings true for me. Once I started working out and releasing all of the pent up energy I became a new man. Modern society doesn't do guys like us justice.

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_vs._...hypothesis

Quote: (03-06-2014 01:58 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Agree. I always thought it was over diagnosed and a copout, even though I was probably a candidate for Ritalin myself when I was younger.

Learning a specific skill, trade, hobby disciplines your brain to focus better.

For me, caffeine helped to focus better rather than jack me up.

ymmv

http://www.returnofkings.com/29561/how-t...meditation

check out this site: http://e.ggtimer.com/
it's helped me stay motivated when applying for jobs, writing stuff, working on money-making
ideas. I set it for an hour, or use the Pomodoro cycle (look this up as well-it's helpful for some tasks)
also, if you have a laptop, take it to the library or a coffee shop. It does you good to get out of your usual environment
if you HAVE to do something on the computer.
And eat some fish or eggs for breakfast, take a walk to break up the interval of sitting and staring at the monitor.
ADD is real but very rare and massively overdiagnosed.

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

My ADD mentality and horrible short term memory (10 concussions) has just became part of my game. Nothing fucks with a girl more than occasionally forgetting her name, spending days to reply, and having it seem completely natural because I'm really not trying to.

On the other hand its hell for regulating my diet, meeting up with friends, doing homework, remembering why I walked into rooms, etc... but, you win some you lose some.

Seems to me, for every person with ADD, there's ten using it as a cop out.

Quote: (03-06-2014 04:27 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

Dude, I have ADHD. Mom fought to keep me off meds as a kid.

The best thing that has helped my attention span has been lifting and eating right. A high protein, fat, and carb diet mixed with a routine of heavy compound lifts will make you new man.

I read somewhere it has been theorized that in the past ADD/ADHD sufferers were actually hunters in original hunter/gather societies. This definitely rings true for me. Once I started working out and releasing all of the pent up energy I became a new man. Modern society doesn't do guys like us justice.

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_vs._...hypothesis

Doing, heavy, compound Lifts in the gym, Cooking high protein fat and carb rich diet, got it. Thanks!

Quote: (03-06-2014 04:30 PM)Sombro Wrote:  

Agree. I always thought it was over diagnosed and a copout, even though I was probably a candidate for Ritalin myself when I was younger.

Learning a specific skill, trade, hobby disciplines your brain to focus better.

For me, caffeine helped to focus better rather than jack me up.

ymmv
Caffeine wakes me up like everyone else while I heard people with ADD makes them to focus more. It only matters if I apply and not just think.
Thanks for the headup!

Quote: (03-06-2014 04:33 PM)Blaster Wrote:  

http://www.returnofkings.com/29561/how-t...meditation

Meditation is a good resource aswell and wow the article points many good reasons out to do so. Thanks!
Quote: (03-06-2014 07:06 PM)shameus_oreaaly Wrote:  

check out this site: http://e.ggtimer.com/
it's helped me stay motivated when applying for jobs, writing stuff, working on money-making
ideas. I set it for an hour, or use the Pomodoro cycle (look this up as well-it's helpful for some tasks)
also, if you have a laptop, take it to the library or a coffee shop. It does you good to get out of your usual environment
if you HAVE to do something on the computer.
And eat some fish or eggs for breakfast, take a walk to break up the interval of sitting and staring at the monitor.
ADD is real but very rare and massively overdiagnosed.
I wasn't aware of this site. Nice, It will be useful for me when http://online-stopwatch.com/ should be down someday. Thanks!
Quote: (03-06-2014 07:18 PM)LaserBear Wrote:  

My ADD mentality and horrible short term memory (10 concussions) has just became part of my game. Nothing fucks with a girl more than occasionally forgetting her name, spending days to reply, and having it seem completely natural because I'm really not trying to.

On the other hand its hell for regulating my diet, meeting up with friends, doing homework, remembering why I walked into rooms, etc... but, you win some you lose some.
Hahah don't lose hope I give it a good shot to erase this state of mind and body completely out of my life. Thanks!

Quote: (03-06-2014 08:51 PM)astronut Wrote:  

Seems to me, for every person with ADD, there's ten using it as a cop out.
I need to kick my ass, nothing will change playing hide and seek with reality. Thanks!

I think ADD is a bullshit disease and it's just a kid who has a lot more energy than average. treatment? doing sports or a hobby that requires a lot of energy out of you. none of that medicine crap which will fuck you up far worse than some of those "illegal" drugs.

Most of the people posting here saying they have ADD are likely in their 20's - late 20's? Means you were a 90's kid and ADD was a fad disorder that was real hot in the 90's. Just like Bipolar and OCD was huge in the early 2000's, and now Autism is all the rage. Pharmaceutical companies and big-medicine make me sick. It's one thing when popculture trends convince the population to wear stupid clothes, buy shitty pointless products, or watch/listen to garbage, but when mass media and large corporate special interest convince people to put certain mind altering drugs in their body or undergo unnecessary and potentially risky medical treatments then shit is pretty real.

Ya know, Mosanto, BP, HAARP machine, GMOs, 9/11, private banks, aliens, etc.

What helped me the most with ADD was eating a vegan diet with lots of banana smoothies. You need to be running a clean system, with lots of potassium and carbohydrates from fruit. Check out 80/10/10.

My focus and mood definitely improved.

Quote: (03-07-2014 10:04 AM)Hispanic_Reasoning Wrote:  

I think ADD is a bullshit disease and it's just a kid who has a lot more energy than average. treatment? doing sports or a hobby that requires a lot of energy out of you. none of that medicine crap which will fuck you up far worse than some of those "illegal" drugs.
I think alot of this medicine sucks too if not 90%. Thanks for the reminder.
Quote: (03-07-2014 12:41 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Most of the people posting here saying they have ADD are likely in their 20's - late 20's? Means you were a 90's kid and ADD was a fad disorder that was real hot in the 90's. Just like Bipolar and OCD was huge in the early 2000's, and now Autism is all the rage. Pharmaceutical companies and big-medicine make me sick. It's one thing when popculture trends convince the population to wear stupid clothes, buy shitty pointless products, or watch/listen to garbage, but when mass media and large corporate special interest convince people to put certain mind altering drugs in their body or undergo unnecessary and potentially risky medical treatments then shit is pretty real.

These Medical Solutions are usually short term and the real challenge was never examined. Thanks.
Quote: (03-07-2014 01:53 PM)deathtofatties Wrote:  

What helped me the most with ADD was eating a vegan diet with lots of banana smoothies. You need to be running a clean system, with lots of potassium and carbohydrates from fruit. Check out 80/10/10.

I heard of banana smoothies, I check them out. Diet is a big part on this. Thanks.

Quote: (03-11-2014 01:33 PM)KidfromGermany Wrote:  

Quote: (03-07-2014 01:53 PM)deathtofatties Wrote:  

I heard of banana smoothies, I check them out. Diet is a big part on this. Thanks.

Also try vegetables like red cabbage, kale, spinach, carrot... You can juice greens, or blend them in a blender and keep the fiber.

After you have a full glass or two of blended/juiced veggies/fruits, you'll feel your brain turn on.

Quote: (03-07-2014 12:41 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Stalin you don't really know what you're talking about. I'm not trying to put you down. In fact, I once thought the same thing. My line was always "It's a symptom-based disorder...c'mon. Sure a broken arm is broken. A blood clot is a blood clot. So these people just can't concentrate...whatever". I was wrong.

If you care to, read up on ADD and fMRI scans or read the first few pages of the book Healing ADD. If you don't care to, I'm just letting you know you don't know the science behind it. You may could claim that it's not a medical disorder. That's fine, but regardless it does occur in 9% of people and has a huge impact on their lives.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Quote: (03-06-2014 10:06 AM)KidfromGermany Wrote:  

Hi Roosh and People,

I came up with this:
-Get your own Apartment
-Check Thyroid Levels
-No P00n

I have ADD as well, always have. Many very successful people have ADD. Richard Branson, Albert Einstein, the list goes on and on. In many ways it can help you. I can be all over the place but if I get myself on track I can be a machine at knocking out work. My thing is I can't sit still doing monotonous or detail oriented things for hours so I break them up into small chunks move on to something else and go back to it. Like you said, it's too easy to sit down and find that 6 hours have gone by and you've done nothing but go from youtube vid to youtube vid.

Set goals for yourself not only short, medium and longterm but even for a day or for a blcok of a few hours. Make a list of things that need to get done and go down the list doing them. If you need a break give yourself 10 minutes to go hit the punching bag or watch a few youtube vids but set a timer and after 10 minutes force yourself to go back to being productive.

I think too many people use ADD and even things like aspergers as a copout or a reason to explain their lack of succes or why they aren't doing what they want. If you want to be a victim of your circumstances you will be. I dont say I have ADD, I just think of it like I'm wired differently than other people, I can't sit for 6 hours looking over excel sheets so I wouldn't go out and get a job that required me to do that. The same way you have strentghts in other areas that other people dont and some things come easier to you this is one thing that comes harder to you so you deal with it and do the best you can