rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A couple of Paris questions

Going to Paris at the end of the month for a week. I was there last March for a day and a half, not enough time to see how things work. I see a few posts on here so I know some of you guys have some experience:

1. Is staying around the Eiffel tower area that bad? I have a bunch of points and can stay for free in the Raddison Blus next to the Trocadéro. The hotels are pimp but I had read somewhere that the night life in that area is non-existant. Would it hurt me that much? Staying there would save me hundreds.

2. What the hell do I wear? Granted, last time I was there I was in the area by arc de triomphe, but I remember sitting at a bar during the day in an Obey t-shirt and everyone else around me was wearing suits, collared shirts, etc.I felt like an idiot. I looked at some club pics and saw guys wearing t-shirts. I'm 31, so not really that young or old, just looking for something I can wear and not look out of place in this fashion conscious city .

Thanks in advance

What else do you know of Paris?

There is NO nightlife around the Eiffel Tower at all, it's besides the river and surrounded by a huge ass park.

Have you tried airbnb? Plenty of accomodation there. Paris doeesn't really have an intense nightlife anyway, really it is only a killer if you have a social circle to co-opt.

March is still a bit cool temperature wise, I was last there in March, tended to wear long sleeve v-necks and a stylishly cut denim jacket. I bought a scarf while I was there, I found I needed it on cold days and evenings.

haha I don't know much. I might have to look at staying elsewhere then. I did have a girl on okcupid tell me she always recommends just staying in the nicest place you can afford and taking public transport to bars. I kind of want to avoid that though. I didn't look into airbnb because even if I'm only paying $100 a night it would still cost me over $400. Not that I can't afford it but its hard to beat free.

As for the weather, its going to feel downright balmy for me. I live in the midwest of the US. Its currently -14 here and 4 degrees there [Image: smile.gif] Thanks for the advice!

Quote: (03-05-2014 08:35 PM)ridiculous_nicholas Wrote:  

Going to Paris at the end of the month for a week. I was there last March for a day and a half, not enough time to see how things work. I see a few posts on here so I know some of you guys have some experience:

1. Is staying around the Eiffel tower area that bad? I have a bunch of points and can stay for free in the Raddison Blus next to the Trocadéro. The hotels are pimp but I had read somewhere that the night life in that area is non-existant. Would it hurt me that much? Staying there would save me hundreds.

Staying around Trocadéro is only interesting for the Arc de Triomphe nightlife. The most popular club burned last year though, don't know if it re-opened. But you will encounter logistics problems by staying there. It's quite away from the areas of Oberkampf, Grands Boulevard, Republique, La Butte aux Cailles or Odéon, just to mention those spots.

You could spend the money you save by getting free accomodation on taxis. You should though know that taxis are hell after midnight. I would advise you to stay somewhere else for logistics reasons, but hundreds are important.

Quote: (03-05-2014 08:35 PM)ridiculous_nicholas Wrote:  

2. What the hell do I wear? Granted, last time I was there I was in the area by arc de triomphe, but I remember sitting at a bar during the day in an Obey t-shirt and everyone else around me was wearing suits, collared shirts, etc.I felt like an idiot. I looked at some club pics and saw guys wearing t-shirts. I'm 31, so not really that young or old, just looking for something I can wear and not look out of place in this fashion conscious city .

If you want to get into clubs, forget the combo T-shirt + sneakers. This is rule number 1. Especially around Arc de Triomphe, in the 8th, 16th and 7th districts.

Nowadays, even pubs like "O'Mailay" "Corcoran's" and others give you trouble getting in if you're a single male. The "my sister is having her birthday Inside" and "I'm meeting friends, come on man, I'm the last one I'm just late" tricks works half of the time. This is the Grands Boulevard area. If you target those (but will meet many aussies, English and americans), you can avoid both the big black guy at the entrance and the cover charge if you arrive before 9PM. But it's a handicap for changing venues after, and the party starts around 11PM.

If you go to areas such as Butte aux Cailles, Oberkampf and so, wear what you want. As long as it's not sweatpants. Wearing a suit would make you look weird in those areas.

Thanks, really solid advice Ruban! You think I would be ok staying there for 2 nights then? I mean is there at least something to do around there at night or is it absolutely dead? I don't necessarily need to go to a large night club but a few places to hang out would be nice. I think I will definitely start looking elsewhere. The one girl from France (shes an American) told me the best bars are in the 18th, 19th, and 20th arrondissement. A buddy that lived there in high school mentioned the Latin Quarter as being good. Any truth to those statements? Should I look at staying in one of those areas?

I'm far from a supermodel but I have never been rejected from getting into a club, unless there was some list or or party going on that you had to be a part of. Do I need to say anything special to these door guys? Do they speak English? Do I have to show an ID? I know its not rocket science but I just don't know how the process works there.

So finally, if I were nice jeans and a collared shirt I can fit in just about anywhere?

Quote: (03-06-2014 12:13 PM)ridiculous_nicholas Wrote:  

Thanks, really solid advice Ruban! You think I would be ok staying there for 2 nights then? I mean is there at least something to do around there at night or is it absolutely dead? I don't necessarily need to go to a large night club but a few places to hang out would be nice. I think I will definitely start looking elsewhere. The one girl from France (shes an American) told me the best bars are in the 18th, 19th, and 20th arrondissement. A buddy that lived there in high school mentioned the Latin Quarter as being good. Any truth to those statements? Should I look at staying in one of those areas?

Yeah, good advice. Quartier Latin is what I called Odeon, and 18 / 19 / 20 what I called Oberkampf. You'll mostly find students in the first area. The 3 districts are big. These are the hipsters areas, unlike Trocadéro which is more "aristocratic" type. You'll have venues, but they're more "local, neighbourhood" style or for tourists. Crazy expensive and with low interest. What your friend said is true. You can add Butte aux Cailles that I particularely like.

You can also check Bellucis at metro Jaures or Rosa Bonheur in Buttes-Chaumont. These are massive pickup places.

Quote: (03-06-2014 12:13 PM)ridiculous_nicholas Wrote:  

I'm far from a supermodel but I have never been rejected from getting into a club, unless there was some list or or party going on that you had to be a part of. Do I need to say anything special to these door guys? Do they speak English? Do I have to show an ID? I know its not rocket science but I just don't know how the process works there.

So finally, if I were nice jeans and a collared shirt I can fit in just about anywhere?

Yes usually they speak English. The problem is not your face. Paris is stupid. No girls, no clubs unless you don't know the doorman. But I have to be honnest. I'm NOT a clubber and I don't go there. I'm not so sure how it goes now. But when I see Brit pubs doormen refusing single guys, or groups of guys, I guess it's the same for clubs. The ID becomes more and more necessary. The earlier you arrive, the better.

But we're not talking about 18 / 19 / 20 districts. Or Butte aux Cailles. It's just about clubs and pubs that let you dance.

Thanks for all of the info, its been great. 2 places I've found so far but of course the reviews are mixed. Lots of people complaining about the locations and stuff like that. I can't tell if its just people expecting tourist stuff around or if there are actual issues with the location. You know anything about these places?

http://www.mamashelter.com/en/paris/guide/

http://www.kubehotel-paris.com/fr/page/k...es.23.html

Just heard about this club at Trocadero last night http://yoyo-paris.com
It's an electro music venue. So there is 1 venue near where you wanna stay.
You can thank my last night bang for this information.

If you come thursday on paris , you have to go on after Work (choose between Palais M ,club79 or regines) .
You can check on internet the website.

There is tons of girl and entrance restriction is not too hard (Most of the time i go there with my co worker and we are 8 Men - 2 girls )

And it start at 19h and entrance is 15 euros if you print the pass for drink all you can (mousseux ) and there is some food .
Or take a bottle ,it only 140-150 .

But dress code is really strict . You have to wear dress shoes and shirts .
NO SNEAKERS ,NO T SHIRT.

If you like nu disco , tonight my friend mix at wanderlust .
you can come with sneakers and t shirt .
BUT COME BEFORE Midnight because after door restriction is HARD AS HELL .But it s really hipster

If you want the easy path and want tourist bang ,go to point ephemere in 19 district on saturday .