rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

3 weeks to play with in Central America. Any thoughts?
weeks to play with in Central America. Any thoughts?
After my Spanish course is done in Puebla, Mexico, I have roughly 3 weeks to play around with.

My top three choices were Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize, although I haven't found anything decent on the forum that was more recent than 2012. Any updated info on these 3 countries would be much appreciated. If I've missed a thread please link me to it!

Otherwise, I would 100% go to Cuba but I want to do that a bit later when I can take 2 weeks and just go there straight instead of having to travel from Mexico to Cuba, back to Mexico City, and then back to my home country.

Would love to hear if anyone has thoughts on El Salvador or Nicaragua. I get the impression from some RVF posts that Nicaragua is the best of the countries I'm considering, but I'm worried it's a little far if I'm backpacking and need to somehow make it back to Mexico in a mere 3 weeks. I can afford to take more flights but after forcing myself to do Asia on a budget I found that I actually enjoyed traveling a little cheaper. It feels more real, in some ways. Thus, odds are I won't have the time to make it as far south as Panama or Costa Rica.

Thanks for the help,

Hank

PS - I've been meticulously writing down my nights out in Mexico so far to post some serious DF and Puebla datasheets when I return. Very briefly, Mexico City (DF) is fucking wild and if you meet some locals the city truly lives up to its hype. Outstanding talent, outstanding tourist attractions, relatively cheap, totally feels safe, and the people are wonderful.
Go to cuba
Quote: (02-24-2014 08:31 PM)El_gato Wrote:  

Go to cuba

Fuck, I knew this would happen.
Sorry man but I couldn't resist. But cuba is the bomb! I studied Spanish in Antigua de Guatemala - great scene there - good amenities , hot euro chicks and wild nightlife
Quote: (02-24-2014 08:28 PM)HankRearden Wrote:  

After my Spanish course is done in Puebla, Mexico, I have roughly 3 weeks to play around with.

My top three choices were Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize, although I haven't found anything decent on the forum that was more recent than 2012. Any updated info on these 3 countries would be much appreciated. If I've missed a thread please link me to it!

Otherwise, I would 100% go to Cuba but I want to do that a bit later when I can take 2 weeks and just go there straight instead of having to travel from Mexico to Cuba, back to Mexico City, and then back to my home country.

Would love to hear if anyone has thoughts on El Salvador or Nicaragua. I get the impression from some RVF posts that Nicaragua is the best of the countries I'm considering, but I'm worried it's a little far if I'm backpacking and need to somehow make it back to Mexico in a mere 3 weeks. I can afford to take more flights but after forcing myself to do Asia on a budget I found that I actually enjoyed traveling a little cheaper. It feels more real, in some ways. Thus, odds are I won't have the time to make it as far south as Panama or Costa Rica.

Thanks for the help,

Hank

PS - I've been meticulously writing down my nights out in Mexico so far to post some serious DF and Puebla datasheets when I return. Very briefly, Mexico City (DF) is fucking wild and if you meet some locals the city truly lives up to its hype. Outstanding talent, outstanding tourist attractions, relatively cheap, totally feels safe, and the people are wonderful.

Man, it would be so much better if you could just fly to Costa Rica or Panama. Those two countries are the best in Central America, which is otherwise an immense shithole.

But if you're looking to do the other spots, just know that it's a backpacker kind of scene. Unless you know rich people in those places you're not going to be plugged in to anything better than that.

Guatemala - Antigua; Livingston (Carib coast).

Honduras - San Pedro de Sula; Roatan Islands

I wouldn't go to Belize.

Nicaragua - San Juan del Sur; Granada; Leon.

That's about it man. But I'd urge you to just hit Costa Rica or Panama instead. Panama is my favorite spot in Central America.
Just got back from a ten day stay in Belize on Saturday. Need to drop a sheet but I just started my new gig today. Right now it's high season so all the European and Canadian it's are down. I have family and houses out there so I don't do the tourist areas.

Was in San Pedro on Wednesday and it seemed dead. Was in Placentia on Friday and the whole beach was taken, but I didn't see the birds around. I couldn't get a room so I left.

You can take a boat from Belize to Livingston. Suppose to be the shit. I dropped the ball by not going. From Livingston bus it to Boca Raton.

I'll try to drop a datasheet but if you ha e any questions ask. Is Belize worth it strictly for the women? Naw but if you want to see Mayan culture, dive, and have a thing for black bishes then cool, otherwise pass. Then again I wouldnt hit the other two spots for women. Id do it for the stamps and the beach plus it's cheap as hell.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.
@Hencredible: Thanks. Part of my planning as well is that as a 21 year old guy I want to visit some countries that I don't plan on going back to. My family wants to plan a trip to Panama and I know some people in Costa Rica so those places aren't going anywhere. But will I go to Belize twice in my life? Unlikely. Panama seems especially awesome. I tend to do pretty well in the backpacker scene so I'm not too worried. I'm more worried about taking stupidly long buses to reach a place with a shitty nightlife, shitty girls, and that's overpriced and touristy. My nightmare!
I'll look into Livingston though. I wonder if Guatemala/Honduras/Nicaragua are even doable in 3 weeks...

@Belize King: Thanks. I don't mind not going out 3/4 nights a week to get some culture in - I would love to see some Mayan ruins - but I'm not a big diver (and can do it cheaper elsewhere), and I tend to prefer lighter skinned women. What do you make of Caye Caulker, Orange walk, or San Ignacio?

Would love to hear if anyone has thoughts on El Salvador or Nicaragua. I get the impression from some RVF posts that Nicaragua is the best of the countries I'm considering, but I'm worried it's a little far if I'm backpacking and need to somehow make it back to Mexico in a mere 3 weeks.

I like Nicaragua a lot and it is not really that much of a stretch for you, considering how cheap it is and that there is daily bus service from Managua to Tapachula.

Granada is the usual city that backpackers go to, and worth the trip, but if you want to go a little more off the beaten path, give León, Matagalpa or Estelí a shot.
Quote: (02-24-2014 08:54 PM)WD-40 Wrote:  

Would love to hear if anyone has thoughts on El Salvador or Nicaragua. I get the impression from some RVF posts that Nicaragua is the best of the countries I'm considering, but I'm worried it's a little far if I'm backpacking and need to somehow make it back to Mexico in a mere 3 weeks.

I like Nicaragua a lot and it is not really that much of a stretch for you, considering how cheap it is and that there is daily bus service from Managua to Tapachula.

Granada is the usual city that backpackers go to, and worth the trip, but if you want to go a little more off the beaten path, give León, Matagalpa or Estelí a shot.

There is a daily bus service from Mexico to Nicaragua?! How long does that take?

The more I hear about Nicaragua the more I like it. Think I could do Nicaragua in a week, Guatemala in a week, and Honduras in 5 days? I wonder if this is all a little ambitious. Maybe it's worth throwing in El Salvador in for 3 days instead of trying to cram in Honduras?
Quote: (02-24-2014 09:01 PM)HankRearden Wrote:  

There is a daily bus service from Mexico to Nicaragua?! How long does that take?

The more I hear about Nicaragua the more I like it. Think I could do Nicaragua in a week, Guatemala in a week, and Honduras in 5 days? I wonder if this is all a little ambitious. Maybe it's worth throwing in El Salvador in for 3 days instead of trying to cram in Honduras?

There's bus service all the way to San Jose, CR and Panama too.

If you don't go to Panama or CR, then it's not going to be a game trip. The local chicks in the countries you're thinking of going to are horrendous. You'll be gaming backpacker chicks from western countries just so you know.

As for diving, Roatan Islands in Honduras is one of the cheapest places to get Scuba certified.

Two days.

I live in this corner of the world and I can tell you one thing. Hurrying just does not work. Don't try to cram too much in too short of a time.

Travelled by bus from Tapachula to Managua/Granada a couple of years ago... there was a stopover in San Salvador for the night.
The only place I think worth visiting in Nicaragua is Managua, my buddy lives in San Juan and said the women are nothing special.

May be worth to check out San Salvador, that city has some sexy mamacitas.
Ticabus is the bus line that goes from Tapachula, Mexico to Guatemala City, San Salvador, San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa, Managua, San Jose, Panama.
http://www.ticabus.com/eng/index.html

I took the Tica several years ago and it was freezing even in the middle of the night. It has really good AC.

I'd recommend sticking to Guatemala and El Salvador even though I really like Nica...it's a lot of extra travel time.

I agree with the poster above...San Salvador girls are very friendly too...
Quote: (02-24-2014 11:18 PM)buja Wrote:  

I took the Tica several years ago and it was freezing even in the middle of the night. It has really good AC.

Tica always blasts the AC, so do make sure you have a microfiber hoodie or something.

However, the cold air does help a lot in cutting down on the olfactory overload that tends to build up during long trips like these.
Quote: (02-24-2014 09:05 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

If you don't go to Panama or CR, then it's not going to be a game trip. The local chicks in the countries you're thinking of going to are horrendous. You'll be gaming backpacker chicks from western countries just so you know.

To be fair, there is some talent in the other countries on the list, but to be able to tap that tail you will need to run long game and speak fluent Spanish. A quick smash expedition to Nica, for example, is not a super bright idea.
I've done the central american route. Here's the lowdown on some points you made:

1) DO NOT go to Caye Caulker. Over touristed with busted European Women and some old couples trying to live the "relaxed life". So tourist out even the local restaurants want tips. Lots of afro-Caribbean hustlers (rasta guys) there. Only a few bars to go to, no real "club" night life. The backpacker crowd is way too much to handle. Overpriced, and way over hyped. You have been warned. No attractive local women, unless you like Afro-Carib look (we are talking about black). We stayed for a few days and got the hell out of there. Waste of time.

2) Get out of belize unless you want to bang some afro-carib girls. Not worth it for me, go straight to Guatemala.

3) Ignore the travel guides. If you are smart and use reliable taxis, go to Guatemala City. You can live like a king for the same amount you pay for Antigua. Antigua way over hyped and way too many backpackers these days. I personally avoid any place where the lonely planet trekkers decide to show up. Nightlife a bit more sketch in Guatemala City. Heard gunshots at night outside the clubs, and yes muggings occur on a daily basis. AVOID every place except the hills / Zone 10. Zone 10 is relatively safe and if you you will absolutely stand out if you are white. Easy as hell to run any sort of day game and get numbers. Then roll them up to your nice apartment. It will mind blow these girls.

4) Managua was great. Loved the people. Love the atmosphere. And love the low gun crime right compared to Guatemala and El Salvador. Felt MUCH safer. Nightlife centers around Zona Viva for high end. Lots of white looking chicks (spanish). Best place to find them. If you want to rage i highly recommend Chamán, which is basically a club in a PYRAMID. Was amazing. All these places are pretty much devoid of any backpacker from Scandinavia (thank god).

All info is more then a year old so take it with a grain of salt.
@Caracal: Does this mean you get to have a night out or something in San Salvador? If so this sounds like a good experience.

@WD-40: Thanks. Nicaragua seems like the place to go, even if it means I need to cut out Belize and shave off a part of my stop in Honduras.

@BlondeChaser: Really appreciate the input, thanks. I definitely want to go to Antigua - in fact I like the whole backpacker scene. You're the first person I have ever spoken to that liked Guatemala City and, although I can understand why, I'm not entirely convinced that it's worthwhile. Managua, however, is now near the top of my list. Considering you've been through many of these countries, are there any other cities you would recommend around the region? For culture, if not for girls?

@Hencredible: Have you ever been to Managua? Wondering because its left out of your Nicaragua recommendations above.
Depends on what you want to do. For girls in Central America I guess Heredia Costa Rica.
Went to Granada, San Juan del Sur, Tamarindo, and more beaches and towns and nature. Have been to Nicoya quite a lot during daytime for example which has colonial buildings. No tourism there, but expats and tourists-on-the-way.I think they live indirectly from tourism and locals there, though.
More rural areas are cool for outdoor stuff but nothing special for women, although stunners occasionaly, and I think Nicaragua is more relaxed than Costa Rica.
You can have ONS with Nicaraguan girls easier than with Ticas in Costa Rican beach towns for some reason, but the Ticas from Heredia or something are really hot, sometimes they work as servers in the restaurants at the beaches or something.
But there could be a lot more cool places and would love to go to Cuba.
I'm heading to Nicauraga in early March. Probably going to check out Managua, San Juan del Sur, Granada. I'm there for 9 days so its a short recon trip.
Quote: (02-25-2014 03:47 PM)BlondeChaser Wrote:  

I've done the central american route. Here's the lowdown on some points you made:

1) DO NOT go to Caye Caulker. Over touristed with busted European Women and some old couples trying to live the "relaxed life". So tourist out even the local restaurants want tips. Lots of afro-Caribbean hustlers (rasta guys) there. Only a few bars to go to, no real "club" night life. The backpacker crowd is way too much to handle. Overpriced, and way over hyped. You have been warned. No attractive local women, unless you like Afro-Carib look (we are talking about black). We stayed for a few days and got the hell out of there. Waste of time.

2) Get out of belize unless you want to bang some afro-carib girls. Not worth it for me, go straight to Guatemala.

3) Ignore the travel guides. If you are smart and use reliable taxis, go to Guatemala City. You can live like a king for the same amount you pay for Antigua. Antigua way over hyped and way too many backpackers these days. I personally avoid any place where the lonely planet trekkers decide to show up. Nightlife a bit more sketch in Guatemala City. Heard gunshots at night outside the clubs, and yes muggings occur on a daily basis. AVOID every place except the hills / Zone 10. Zone 10 is relatively safe and if you you will absolutely stand out if you are white. Easy as hell to run any sort of day game and get numbers. Then roll them up to your nice apartment. It will mind blow these girls.

4) Managua was great. Loved the people. Love the atmosphere. And love the low gun crime right compared to Guatemala and El Salvador. Felt MUCH safer. Nightlife centers around Zona Viva for high end. Lots of white looking chicks (spanish). Best place to find them. If you want to rage i highly recommend Chamán, which is basically a club in a PYRAMID. Was amazing. All these places are pretty much devoid of any backpacker from Scandinavia (thank god).

All info is more then a year old so take it with a grain of salt.

What's the point of going to Central America to bang white looking chicks? Might as well stay in the West....

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.
Quote: (02-25-2014 08:09 PM)torontokid Wrote:  

I'm heading to Nicauraga in early March. Probably going to check out Managua, San Juan del Sur, Granada. I'm there for 9 days so its a short recon trip.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes! At this stage, it's looking like Granada, Managua, Leon and maybe the Corn Islands in the same amount of time. From what I've read on RVF it seems like there's really nothing in San Juan Del Sur...
San Juan del Sur has what's considered to be the best surfing in the Western Hemisphere besides Hawaii. The talent is also pretty good for Nicaragua, but nobody with any sense goes to Nica for the talent anyway. It's a beautiful country, but the women aren't the primary part of the allure.
Bocas del Toro (island) in Panama is really cool. Lots of european girls go there to rent a rasta. As a latin guy I was able to hook up quite easily. Also theres good diving and beautiful beaches. Relativily cheap. The island gives you easy acess to the border to Costa Rica.
In Costa Rica you can try either Puerto Viejo de Talamanca and Tamarindo, both excelent places to party.

I have mixed toughts about Guatemala. The scenery is awesome but there´s limited local talent. Citys like Antigua or San Pedro can be handy to score some gringas. Semuc Champey and Tikal are OK for sightseeing.

There´s not much in Nicaragua or Honduras (except great diving in the Bay Islands).

I´ll not even mention Mexico, since I´m sure you have plenty of info already.
Quote: (02-26-2014 03:44 PM)Ramone Wrote:  

In Costa Rica you can try either Puerto Viejo de Talamanca and Tamarindo, both excelent places to party.

There is shuttle service from Bocas to Puerto Viejo that takes about a half a day, but to get from PV all the way to Tamarindo by bus will probably take you a day or more, transiting via San José.