rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's the Deal With Genderneutral Names in America?

Reading about the latest allegations against Woody Allen by his adoptive daughter, I once more stumbled over the name giving customs in the US and other Anglophone countries.

That woman's name is Dylan.

Dylan.

As someone who did not grow up in an Anglo-Saxonian cultural context, this strikes me as extremely dissonant and hard to swallow as I would always think of Dylan as a guy's name. I'm not gay, and I can't imagine fornicating with a girl while I whisper in hear ear "Yeah, Dylan. Suck me dry". Why in the world would parents, who are not some lunatic gender feminists, give their boy or girl a name that cannot be clearly identified with one sex? In Germany, it was only until a few years back that administrative bodies demanded that the first given name of the child must be unambiguously male or female in order to secure the welfare of the child. That is not the case anymore, which is okay because I don't think that the government should dictate how you can baptize your child.

However, for some reason I always shudder when I hear of a guy whose name is Ashley or Lindsay. Total mindfuck. Apparently, some of these names were clearly male in the past but then became common for girls as well.

It also seems that this trend for unisex names occurs in some cultures as well (Japan, Turkey, indigenous tribes in the Americas) while it is totally unheard of in others (Germany, Finland, Spain).

Does anyone here have a unisex name? What is it like?

This is less "gender neutral" and more like simply giving boys' names to girls. A sister-in-law of mine did this and her reason was "when they grow up and send out job applications they'll get called in sooner."

She and her husband are conservative born again Christians, which shows you how much feminist paranoia has seeped into all corners of our society. They also had their daughter on the boys football team, but I digress.

I've brought up this matter and I'm glad someone else is noticing. IMO it's part of the larger problem of American parents raising their girls as boys: sports, college, career. Then the girls take it one step further: tattoos, drinking, behaving like frat boys...

Then we all wind up on here talking about going abroad to find decent women. Because one place you won't find them is an American neighborhood full of female Dylans, Ryans and Quinns.

The first step in oppressing women is giving them a feminine name. It makes then want to dress pretty, stay thin and pop out babies.

Team Nachos