rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The strangest food you've tried abroad

Have any of you guys tried any fried insects? How about puffer fish?

The strangest thing i've tried is blood pudding. I'd be curious to see what you guys have tried.

Chicken feet soup (in Indonesia). Pretty good, would eat again.

[Image: 1345662222.jpg]

[Image: melaka_0015.jpg]

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

"Dancing shrimp."

Essentially, it's a bunch of tiny live shrimp covered in a spicy lime sauce that makes them jump all over the place. Insert a spoonful of them in your mouth and they try to dance away from your teeth. The bowl has a lid on it, but sometimes they get out and start hopping across the table.

I do believe I've had me some testicles a time or two as well. And a cold pig blood soup.

Insects and chicken feet were basically like muching on peantus for us when me and my Thai buddies would hang at the sit-down bars. LOL

I'll essentially try to eat anything once, as long as it is something people enjoy and not just to gross me out. I do still get queasy when it comes to eating live animals though - depending on the circumstances I may turn that away, even though I've done it a couple times with the shrimp.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (02-01-2014 03:48 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

"Dancing shrimp."

Essentially, it's a bunch of tiny live shrimp covered in a spicy lime sauce that makes them jump all over the place. Insert a spoonful of them in your mouth and they try to dance away from your teeth. The bowl has a lid on it, but sometimes they get out and start hopping across the table.

I do believe I've had me some testicles a time or two as well. And a cold pig blood soup.

Insects and chicken feet were basically like muching on peantus for us when me and my Thai buddies would hang at the sit-down bars. LOL

I'll essentially try to eat anything once, as long as it is something people enjoy and not just to gross me out. I do still get queasy when it comes to eating live animals though - depending on the circumstances I may turn that away, even though I've done it a couple times with the shrimp.

Snake curry in Cambodia. It was kinda chewy and overpriced.
Huge fried bugs, also in Cambodia. Unremarkable. Good with beer.
Japanese stinky soy beans (natto) - cool stuff, has some good vitamins.
Chocolate balls with magic mushroom powder in Thailand. Now that was some good stuff )

Had mixed plate of parts (tongue, face, eye, etc.)from a lambs head for dinner last night. They had brains, but I guess you had to order that separately.

Redacted

Balut in Manila (a partially formed duck embryo inside an egg). From a street vendor, I was sick the rest of my trip.

Poodle soup at Kirogi, a Korean restaurant, in Kazakhstan.

Rats and raw pork. Thai jungle. Yum.

Taipei really does have some odd mainstream food. Absolutely terrible place for food IMO. Here's a photo of a very typical street food stall:

[Image: 9tfy.jpg]

If you live there, you'll be eating that very regularly I'm afraid. After a while you'll get pretty sick of it and will become a regular at Subway.

Some of the delights I used to eat regularly:

Stinky Tofu (Fermented Tofu): This stuff absolutely stinks out the streets of Taipei. In the 7-11's it's all you can smell. Still, despite its bad reputation I got used to it and ate it regularly.

Pig's ear: The only street food place open at 3am near me was a place serving pig's ear and noodles. Not so good, but I ate there sometimes.

Pig's blood cake: Pork blood, sticky rice and soy broth. It's fried and coated in peanut flour. It's meant as a snack, and it's pretty good!

Chicken Arse: They put five chicken arses on a stick

Chicken Heart: They also do it with hearts

Taiwanese breakfast is fucking BOSS though! Bacon, fried eggs, hamburgers, pancakes, crepes, soy sauce. It's like England, America, China and France teamed up to make Super Breakfast!

Cow tripe in Kenya, known as Matumbo. Never again.

[Image: attachment.jpg16804]   
[Image: attachment.jpg16805]   

hmm crocodile and balls of a bull, pigs ear, cow stomach soup, those chicken feet soup I had as well, ... all pretty nasty stuff

"Chinese medicine in brain stew" in Hanoi, Vietnam. Some green leafy vegetable and pig brain.

Piranha

This fruit (Inga):

[Image: 600]

Quote: (02-01-2014 03:44 PM)Soma Wrote:  

Chicken feet soup (in Indonesia). Pretty good, would eat again.

[Image: 1345662222.jpg]

[Image: melaka_0015.jpg]

i've had balls, brains, tongue, stomach, heart, liver but had chicken feet once in Los Angeles and hated it. would not eat again if sober

bugs from a pot in dixie cup with toothpicks in korea.

Too much drama for a hit it and quit it brutha such as myself
Gotts Money - Law & Order SVU: Wildlife

Don't make taiwan hard. Peking duck pizza from Napoli, pepper steak pizza from pizza hut, baguettes from carrefour, and meatballs, mashed potatos, and endless espresso from ikea. . . and, costco!

lowbudgetballer

Quote: (02-01-2014 06:17 PM)LeightonBlackstock Wrote:  

Taipei really does have some odd mainstream food. Absolutely terrible place for food IMO. Here's a photo of a very typical street food stall:

[Image: 9tfy.jpg]

If you live there, you'll be eating that very regularly I'm afraid. After a while you'll get pretty sick of it and will become a regular at Subway.

Some of the delights I used to eat regularly:

Stinky Tofu (Fermented Tofu): This stuff absolutely stinks out the streets of Taipei. In the 7-11's it's all you can smell. Still, despite its bad reputation I got used to it and ate it regularly.

Pig's ear: The only street food place open at 3am near me was a place serving pig's ear and noodles. Not so good, but I ate there sometimes.

Pig's blood cake: Pork blood, sticky rice and soy broth. It's fried and coated in peanut flour. It's meant as a snack, and it's pretty good!

Chicken Arse: They put five chicken arses on a stick

Chicken Heart: They also do it with hearts

Taiwanese breakfast is fucking BOSS though! Bacon, fried eggs, hamburgers, pancakes, crepes, soy sauce. It's like England, America, China and France teamed up to make Super Breakfast!

Too much drama for a hit it and quit it brutha such as myself
Gotts Money - Law & Order SVU: Wildlife

I have eaten insects, blood pudding, chicken feet, snake, alligator, and tripe -- all in the U.S. lol

I have a good Asian friend here in the U.S. and he knows that I am willing to try anything once. Asians joke amongst themselves that they will eat almost anything, especially if it is free!

I have eaten venison, rabbit, bear, duck, goose, partridge, pheasant, and assorted organ meats (sufrite) at game suppers. I highly recommend attending a game supper if you have a friend who is a member of a sporting club. Sorry for going off topic.

forgot to mention this before:

smoked beaver, in Estonia. I got a pretty nasty stomach ache after that

Damn, I was about to chime in with kangaroo and ostrich steaks, but you guys got me beat. I got nothing.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

One time I was sitting around drinking beer with a couple of Thai guys and a Dutch guy at my apartment in Bangkok.

Motorcycle pulls up with a side car with an installed propane tank and wok. Guy gets off the moto and starts sauteing what looked like mealworms and crickets. The Dutch guy bought a few bags, they were pretty good snack food, crunchy with a little pepper and salt.

Worst weird food was when I was drinking with Eskimos from Greenland in a bar in Aaborg, Denmark. One guy unwrapped a chunk of whale blubber and cut off a piece for me. It was terrible, a fishy, chewy jelly, but I choked it down with the beer and pretended to like it.

You guys are the shit. I could imagine drinking and swapping stories.

As for me, barbque scorpion, iguana, some Tapir, and pig snout which is huge in New Orleans. I feel like a pussy after reading all this crazy stuff you guys have eaten haha. Can't really be surprised but some stuff on this thread I have never heard of.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

Tacos surtidos with copped up cow's eye, tongue and brain in Mexico DF. Not the best food I've ever had, but not the worst.

Quote: (02-02-2014 11:32 AM)BoiBoi Wrote:  

Tacos surtidos with copped up cow's eye, tongue and brain in Mexico DF. Not the best food I've ever had, but not the worst.

Cabeza tacos?

My mouth is watering. If it's the one where they cook the whole head up until all the meat and "fixings" become like a soft stew, it is seriously delicious. At least it is if they do it right - I used to hunt it down in California. Only the real authentic spots have it. Killer in a burrito too.

Mexican food is what I miss most when I'm overseas.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Camel kebab in Dubai

Still beating cobra heart in Hanoi

Crocodile barbecue in Vietnam

[Image: bj3o.jpg]