rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Help me with sociology thesis

In 2 days I have to start with my bachelors thesis - sociology (I know the uselessness of these fields but I am a victim of brainwashing, masters will be in finance /real estate)

Im looking for something fun and a bit easy to research, in the field of sociology.

Funny thing is, that one of the teachers is about to obtain his PHD with the subject pickup: he lived among PUA's in San Francisco and did his research about the community there, picking up girls at the same time. Will post his paper later, have to catch a flight now. I can tell you already that he loves pickup, but he felt that most of the PUAs he lived with were losers (lol)

I dont necessarily want to research 'community stuff' but this anecdote shows that that is possible as well.

What would you research for a sociology thesis?

Help me please!!

Let's see the teacher's PUA dissertation first.

Here it is:

http://www.uva.nl/over-de-uva/organisati...rmans.html

He is at my faculty.

Its getting too intellectual for the Everything Else` section lol.

If your goal is graduate school, pick something easy and boring that you can get done with ease and high marks. Don't delude yourself into thinking you have to do something important, especially if you are switching fields.

Pick something like "social impacts of 2013 economic program rule changes on single parent households" grab the data, bang it out, be done, have a beer.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

That's exactly my goal.

Who has ideas for very easy subjects? Preferably real estate related, or anything to do with the urban domain

I would examine the effect upon the social structure, community cohesiveness and overall happiness that the rapid increase in the square footage per person in houses has had on American culture over the last 50 years ago(267 sq ft/person circa 95 to over 1000 sq ft/person today). I believe that this rapid expansion of the suburbs, and the disappearance of children from neighborhoods compared to the 1950s-70s has had an extremely deleterious effect upon everyones happiness.

When i was a senior in college, i had 3 credits to kill so i took women's lives.

At the end, we had to do a research paper. I decided to do a paper on Vin Di Carlo's Pandora's box. I think i got a 97% on it.

Be creative, and not afraid to push the envelope. If you stick within the confines of the report and not go to off base you can introduce some serious red pill into higher ed.

Hey man,

Im about to graduate with a Diplom (its like a masters) in Sociology ... and yes its fucking useless.
My final paper is gonna be about online-freelancing. Just take something that interests you and where you can analyze some existing data.
Dont start doing interviews or collecting data yourself, way too much work!

btw I think there have been various sociological studies about PUA communities already!

Pick something that:

A) Interests you
B) Will be easy to put together

or

C) Has already been done and you can just copy/"re-structure" it.

or

D) Will give you a rewarding experience that will you propel you into the career that you want.

Quote: (02-01-2014 11:15 AM)mastauser Wrote:  

Here it is:

http://www.uva.nl/over-de-uva/organisati...rmans.html

He is at my faculty.

Its getting too intellectual for the Everything Else` section lol.

So the guy actually exists. When can we get a link to his papers?
(Ahem, what time was your flight, again?)

Elephant, I'm going to dig for the papers. However I think that they will be available later on, I can only find some Dutch newspaper articles about in from our highest quality newspapers.

And w00t, I was thinking about something:

The marxist view is that only capitalists possess resources of production, and that the remainder of the population suffers. I was thinking about that with the internet this trend is being reversed:
resources of production (internet) are now open for everybody, which argues against the traditional vision that only the capitalists own means of production towards 'everybody can start an internet business' , you only got to bust your ass off!!!
Your point about conducting interviews is valid, my faculty is very qualitative, though. Need to sort it out.

I think that I want to do my research about that:

It will force me to interact with entrepreneurs, it is interesting and quite red pill : I debunk the victim mentality that is still present in my country among a lot of people (who endorse the vision that to succeed you got to have 'a very good idea'.

Any thoughts? I catch the flight in a few hours, greetings from Panama Tocumen , a lot of RVFers have been here I guess, so shitty that there js no smoking lounge I had to go all the way through immigration to light up lol.