rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Some questions to the guys who lived / live in Moscow

I'm considering moving to Moscow for a year or two.

I was there in October only 3 days, i have not seen a lot of this great city
but i had to see what was going on in the street and i fell in love at first sight in this city.

I wanted to know if it is difficult to get a work visa and find a job to a stranger but who speaks Russian [Image: smile.gif]
I am working now as a PHP developer with 1 year of experience what is the average salary ?
What salary needs to live well(go clubbing on weekends take a girl to restaurants/bars) and to rent an apartment in the center ?

If anybody has any other helpful information would love to hear!!!

Was going to start a thread but I saw this and didn't want to clutter up the board.

I've been offered a job in Moscow, about 150k rubles per month. Tax free.

Shoot...

Could use your thoughts.

150K roubles a month is about $50k/year after tax. I haven't been to Moscow recently, but the people from Moscow I've met here in the US and other places keep saying how expensive it is and how little value they get for the money. From what I know, rent is still less compared to good parts of NY, for example, but many other prices are higher. If I were considering moving to Moscow, I would use New York salaries as my benchmark.

Quote: (02-01-2014 11:20 AM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

150K roubles a month is about $50k/year after tax. I haven't been to Moscow recently, but the people from Moscow I've met here in the US and other places keep saying how expensive it is and how little value they get for the money. From what I know, rent is still less compared to good parts of NY, for example, but many other prices are higher. If I were considering moving to Moscow, I would use New York salaries as my benchmark.

I think that's a good way to look at it. I've ranted on and on about how expensive Moscow is, but you can cut corners here and there is you want (share an apartment, live a little outside the center, don't hit up the 'hot' restaurants and bars/clubs (pretty much all of them!) etc.). Taxes are 13% flat too so you get a lot more of your paycheck than in NYC or Europe. But you would need to watch your expenses like a hawk especially if you're going out a lot. Can be done, but I don't think you'd be saving much, if anything.

2015 RVF fantasy football champion

Surprised you didn't get the typical expat package.Most that I have known get free flats and even tax payments.

Update....I turned down the job offer.

Quote: (02-01-2014 04:53 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

It's a shame, you would not be rich at all making only around $4.8k/month in Moscow BUT you can't put a price tag on meeting the world's most beautiful women!

Quote: (02-01-2014 05:00 PM)TripleG Wrote:  

It's a shame, you would not be rich at all making only around $4.8k/month in Moscow BUT you can't put a price tag on meeting the world's most beautiful women!

Or you can go to a gentle mans club and MEET them!

Quote: (02-01-2014 05:19 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2014 05:00 PM)TripleG Wrote:  

Or you can go to a gentle mans club and MEET them!

Don't worry #1 girl right now is Russian[Image: hump.gif]

Quote: (02-01-2014 02:35 PM)Akula Wrote:  

Quote: (02-01-2014 11:20 AM)Brodiaga Wrote:  

I think that's a good way to look at it. I've ranted on and on about how expensive Moscow is, but you can cut corners here and there is you want (share an apartment, live a little outside the center, don't hit up the 'hot' restaurants and bars/clubs (pretty much all of them!) etc.). Taxes are 13% flat too so you get a lot more of your paycheck than in NYC or Europe. But you would need to watch your expenses like a hawk especially if you're going out a lot. Can be done, but I don't think you'd be saving much, if anything.

I live in Tel Aviv(center) 5 minutes walk from the beach, sharing an apartment with a friend each pay $ 850, and I go out almost every weekend to clubs/bars. In middle of the week I go out to restaurants often with girls. And my salary now is $ 3,500 and that's enough not at the highest level but you live good, how do you say "but you can cut corners here". How much more expensive Moscow? Tel Aviv is also considered expensive city the cost of living soared here in recent years, especially real estate!!!

Somebody cut a corner by offering you that

In the end we need to hear cost of basket of goods and after tax dollars.
For example....if you make 100k how much do you keep?
Then what does that buy you.
For example a couple making 50k in the USA wil only pay 7% of it in federal taxes.Then they have 7.65% fica. Some don't have state taxes.But if you are paying 50% taxes your take home will be much less!