rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Do you do HIIT strength training?

The goal is fat loss/cutting.

Do you do your High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) after your weight training?

Or do you dedicate an entire session to HIIT on a separate day from your weight/resistance training?

WIA

I do not think you would be able to do a succesful HIIT training ( I do something like 30 secs hard bicycling followed by 60 secs pause) right after a good workout. Although, if you are able to then by all means go for it. Usually, what I did was to do it on a seperate day followed by some light running, skipping or swimming to that that last piece of sweat off.

If you are going to do it on the same day, I would suggest doing HIIT first as it raises your hormonal levels if done right thus making your weight lifting training more effective and beneficial.

I do HIIT 2-3 x per week on days I don't lift.

I warm up by jogging for 4-5 minutes. Then I sprint hills or stairs for 30 seconds 5 x with 3 minutes of jogging in between.

I downloaded a free app to my phone which tells me my timing in my ear buds.

Take care of those titties for me.

have you considered combining the two?

its possible to use weights and do interval training.

Kettlebell workouts tend to work pretty well for it.

I'm pretty spent after HIIT and spent after lifting so for me doing the same day wouldn't work well.

Take care of those titties for me.

Ideally on it's own separated by a few hours from lifting.

If I can't do that, it's after lifting.

It might look like:

3 minutes warmup,
then 15 sets of
30 seconds 100% intensity followed by 30-60 seconds low intensity
3 minutes cool down

depends on what I'm doing

recumbent bike is favourite
if sprinting in summer: 20s full on, 40 seconds rest x 10 sets.

you can get interval apps for your phone that will beep (with warning) before the next phase of the workout.

I used to do HIIT on stationary bike directly after lifting, but found that to be taxing over time. Now it's alternating days and progress overall seems to have improved.

I do it after lifting and I lift everyday. I don't get all nerdy with "HIIT" though, I just try to do X reps of burpees, KB swings / snatches etc. in say 10 mins. If you wanna have some fun, roll a pair of dice (there's a phone app for that) and whichever number comes up, do that many minutes.

There's no rule that you have to do it on your off-day. You can do it either way, you get used to it eventually (i.e your work capacity increases).

tabata is the only form of HIIT I have ever done. it works. combined with IF (fasting on alternate days) you lose weight fast!

I go in the swimming pool, just deep enough to have my belly covered and then do on the spot sprints with the resistance of the water.

Lost 7KG in 10 days!

It's unnecessary for weight loss, if that's the main reason you're doing it. Just manipulate your diet to lose the desired amount of weight.

maybe I am confused with HIIT and Tabata then. Anyway Tabata increases your metabolism and creates an 'afterburn effect' which means you keep burning calories for long after you have stopped exercising. It worked for me. Or maybe it was just the fasting.. hmmm. lol

If you're going to HIIT or a Tabata type workout it shouldn't be heavy weight or a compound exercise like squats or dead lifts. When you get gassed your form suffers and it could lead to injury. There are a lot of kettle bell exercises, battle ropes, and bodyweight exercises that you could do.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Quote: (01-16-2014 08:36 PM)Seaver Wrote:  

have you considered combining the two?

its possible to use weights and do interval training.

Kettlebell workouts tend to work pretty well for it.

I hadn't thought of that. I thought HIIT was more sprints or rapid fire calisthenics.

*eyes dusty kettlebell in my room*

I was doing HIIT sprints in the summer/fall and now I miss doing them now. Too cold. Plus I prefer to run on grass and that's covered in snow.

I believe it's not the calories burned during the activity itself, but the resulting hormonal + metabolism effects which make them beneficial.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (01-16-2014 10:36 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

It's unnecessary for weight loss, if that's the main reason you're doing it. Just manipulate your diet to lose the desired amount of weight.

Yeah, working on that aspect.

I've found that if I don't go to sleep early, I don't wake up early enough to make a proper breakfast or even a protein shake, which might bleed into not prepping a good lunch ahead of time.

The key i'm finding is to pick a handful of good for me meals that I really like, and just eating those.

WIA

Quote: (01-16-2014 10:48 PM)vinman Wrote:  

If you're going to HIIT or a Tabata type workout it shouldn't be heavy weight or a compound exercise like squats or dead lifts. When you get gassed your form suffers and it could lead to injury. There are a lot of kettle bell exercises, battle ropes, and bodyweight exercises that you could do.

Yeah, that's not even on my radar. I think I fucked up the title when I posted from my phone.

WIA

I used to do Tabada bike sprints a few times a week at the end of my workouts to maintain my speed when I was playing soccer.

It's the most intense form of HIIT in shortest amount of time. Thankfully it only lasts 4 minutes.

@Nascimento

most of the hiit/tabata routines I see are about 4-12 , minutes, which makes it b tempting to just tack it on at the end. But I did chest yesterday and was about 90% wiped out.

Hmm, testing time

honestly WIA I might hold off on going over board with this until you lose some weight. HIIT or met cons several times a week can stunt your fat loss. Lift 3-4x a week or less and focus all of your energy on your diet. Its actually hard to lose fat banging away at these workouts, not only slowing your fat loss but losing your diet motivation. Lose it first then bang away.

WIA, 4-8 week cycles will be the most beneficial way to utilize this style. Go 4-8 weeks of High Intensity Interval Training and then go to intervals of heavy weight.

Reporter: What keeps you awake at night?
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

OKC Data Sheet

Quote: (01-17-2014 11:11 PM)puckman Wrote:  

honestly WIA I might hold off on going over board with this until you lose some weight. HIIT or met cons several times a week can stunt your fat loss. Lift 3-4x a week or less and focus all of your energy on your diet. Its actually hard to lose fat banging away at these workouts, not only slowing your fat loss but losing your diet motivation. Lose it first then bang away.

Really? My understanding is the opposite is true. That is part of the popularity, in addition to the shortened time required to do it. There's lots of research behind this.

Reminder that you really can do anything:
Sprint, jumping jacks, bike, elliptical, jump rope. As long as you are giving 100% during the intensity interval. Easy for anyone to do. Whether you're Usain Bolt or a beginner, if it's your max effort you're doing it right.

You can use a treadmill for your sprints if you can't get outside: Don't turn the machine on. grab the bar tight with both hands. Start sprinting, manually pushing the treadmill mat behind you. 20s on, 40 off. Did it this am at the end of my workout. It's great. Much more enjoyable than jogging for 30 minutes while watching a sitcom.

Quote: (01-18-2014 12:48 PM)bigxxx Wrote:  

Quote: (01-17-2014 11:11 PM)puckman Wrote:  

Really? My understanding is the opposite is true. That is part of the popularity, in addition to the shortened time required to do it. There's lots of research behind this.

Really, and there is a lot of research in reverse. Can you share that research? Everything I have seen and experienced all shows that intense frequent exercise makes you hungrier and can suppress weightloss, and unless you are training 10+ hours a week, you wont burn the food off from your increased appetite. Any workout under 2 hours will not make you lose fat. At that point its almost entirely diet. Maybe you will with swimming but thats due more to thermal dynamics. That is why you see a lot of chubby crossfitters who have been doing it for a while, maintaining the workout 5-6x p.week schedule, the near daily intense output in the workout and any nagging injuries almost assuredly will derail your diet. Met cons and HIIT make you hungry as hell, just like swimming. Its a Herculean feat to do all of that AND nail a diet. That is why if you have weight to lose, and HAVE to train like this I would recommend the Zone diet. Weigh and measure your food, and attack the diet with the intensity of a workout, and you will lose the excess fairly quickly. It will be a struggle and this is not easy with a full life.

If you want a more casual and enjoyable approach, I would nix the hardcore training for a month or two and focus squarely on the diet with light-moderate exercise a few times a week, with at the most 1-2 HIIT workouts/week. I would include lots of long walking, cycling, jump rope, hiking, etc. You will lose the weight that much faster because your body will not be in a catabolic state constantly trying to heal itself, and keep your motivation from not having a destroyed central nervous system.

^
Impact of Exercise intensity on body fatness and skeletal muscle metabolism. Metabolism 1994 july; 43 (7)

Effects of high intensity intermittent exercise training on fat loss. int J obesity 2008 apr 32 (4) 684-691

many others; too lazy to list more.

anways, like anything, the OP should try different things and see how it works for him. I can only say it's been helpful for myself.

Quote: (01-19-2014 01:42 AM)bigxxx Wrote:  

^
Impact of Exercise intensity on body fatness and skeletal muscle metabolism. Metabolism 1994 july; 43 (7)

Effects of high intensity intermittent exercise training on fat loss. int J obesity 2008 apr 32 (4) 684-691

many others; too lazy to list more.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04...blogs&_r=0

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2009/0...7.abstract

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/19/fo...cise-less/

"modest reduction" http://scholar.google.com/scholar_url?hl...i=scholarr

too many to quote as well. Mostly speaking from anecdotal experience and watching dozens of friends/clients, plus whatever science is out there. If you have 20 or 30 to lose, nail your diet first for a while then get intense.

This is about the easiest way I have done it recently;
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/200...-exercise/