rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Magnesium = Gnarly raccoon eyes

Hey all,

I've been supping with this brand of Magnesium:

[Image: File_1582_56_a.jpg]

I break the tabs in half and take 1/2 about two hours before bed. Then I sleep like a rock. Sometimes I'll take 1/2 in the morning as well.

For some reason, when I take this stuff more than 3 days consecutively, I get these crazy bags under my eyes. Not just a little bit. I'm talking chemotherapy style:

[Image: bags.jpg]

That was after 5 days of supping. I stopped and in 2 days I was back to normal.

I Googled this and magnesium is supposed to improve bags under the eyes, not make them worse!

Here are the ingredients. Any clue as to what the culprit might be...?

[Image: mag.jpg]

Don't know anything about the magnesium, but that looks like Nai Harn beach.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

I don't know, but I'm guessing that it might be a simple case of overdose. Have you tried taking it less if it's allowed, like once every 3 days? I take zinc on such a regimen, because it's helpful but taking it every day makes me nauseous. What is your weight? If you're a small guy, it's especially easy to be sensitive to these sudden intake increases.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

My first suggestion would be to take some zinc along with the mag, and see if it helps. They fight eachother for absorption and upping your intake of one could be effectively reducing your bodies supply of the other.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinutrient
That being said, it's really hard for me to imagine that some sort of antinutritive factor could be kicking in THAT quickly, in the order of 5 days...

It is also possible that it could just be a weird reaction, and your body getting used to the supplement.
For the first 3-4 days, when I started taking the multivitamin I'm still on, I would get severe hot flashes, flushing, and even slight headaches. I chalked it up to the niacin content, and it eventually went away.
Maybe just try to ride it out, worst case scenario you won't be doing too much damage to yourself in two weeks of taking a mineral supplement.

Quote: (01-07-2014 12:47 AM)Soma Wrote:  

Don't know anything about the magnesium, but that looks like Nai Harn beach.

:-)

Quote: (01-07-2014 01:03 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

I don't know, but I'm guessing that it might be a simple case of overdose. Have you tried taking it less if it's allowed, like once every 3 days? I take zinc on such a regimen, because it's helpful but taking it every day makes me nauseous. What is your weight? If you're a small guy, it's especially easy to be sensitive to these sudden intake increases.

Good call, I'm 170 pounds. I'll try cutting it back to every other day and see what happens. Might be the form of magnesium as well?

Quote: (01-07-2014 01:14 AM)Ziltoid Wrote:  

My first suggestion would be to take some zinc along with the mag, and see if it helps. They fight eachother for absorption and upping your intake of one could be effectively reducing your bodies supply of the other.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinutrient
That being said, it's really hard for me to imagine that some sort of antinutritive factor could be kicking in THAT quickly, in the order of 5 days...

It is also possible that it could just be a weird reaction, and your body getting used to the supplement.
For the first 3-4 days, when I started taking the multivitamin I'm still on, I would get severe hot flashes, flushing, and even slight headaches. I chalked it up to the niacin content, and it eventually went away.
Maybe just try to ride it out, worst case scenario you won't be doing too much damage to yourself in two weeks of taking a mineral supplement.

Yes, I take a zinc/copper formulation every day. I'll try it every other day or try a different form of Magnesium. Thanks for the tips.

Possible scenarios off the top of my head (in order from most likely to least likely, but all are possible)
- You might be reacting to some other ingredient in the pill (preservative, colourant)
- Your pills might be counterfeit/fakes and actually have some other random stuff/pesticides/herbicides in them that cause that toxic look. Fake medications/supplements are a growing problem in some parts of the world.
- You have undiagnosed kidney failure and your kidneys are unable to get rid of the excess magnesium, leading to hypermagnesium-induced weakness of the facial muscles, causing a saggy face look
- You may have a genetic abnormality that leads to reactions to this particular product or to all magnesium supplements in general.
- You might have early pre-diabetes, and maybe in order to make the pills bigger/heavier the manufacturers are dumping sugar into the pills, so everytime you take one it triggers a diabetic state, which in some people causes dark rings under the eyes and also in the armpits. Alternatively, the magnesium is conflicting with the calcium-channels that regulate insulin production in the pancreas, shutting down insulin and pushing you in a diabetic state while you're taking the pills.

I'm sure there are other possibilities.

Maybe you're just not using a high quality brand.

Try using another companies brand of Magnesium, with the same dose, and see if you still get the weird eyes.

A lot of us use ZMA before sleep - a combo of zinc, mag, and a little vitamin b6. Try that next since they're supposed to work synergistically.

Buy your supps from Bodybuilding.com Great website, and it avoids a lot of the BS problems you will run into (poor quality products).

Maybe it's just the way your body is reacting to the magnesium? We do all have different bodies.

Perhaps try magnesium oil as a supplement. I was taking magnesium orally and once that finished I decided to experiment with the oil instead. Can't say there's been a large difference, although my sleep has been deeper with the oil for sure. I think your body absorbs the oil applied to the skin much more efficiently.

Quote: (01-08-2014 03:18 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

Maybe it's just the way your body is reacting to the magnesium? We do all have different bodies.

Perhaps try magnesium oil as a supplement. I was taking magnesium orally and once that finished I decided to experiment with the oil instead. Can't say there's been a large difference, although my sleep has been deeper with the oil for sure. I think your body absorbs the oil applied to the skin much more efficiently.

Magnesium improves your sleep quality? I take Melatonin once in a while to induce sleep. It works great but It feels more like I passed out and 8 hours flew by in 5 minutes. It's not the deep kind of rested sleep you get after a day of hard labor.

The only other time I get a real deep rejuvenating sleep is after swimming in the ice cold ocean for a while. When I get home and shower and hit the bed I'm out for the count. Feels amazing though.

Team Nachos

Something wrong here. Throw these pills away or have them tested.

also, magnesium oxide is the least bioavailable form of magnesium, and is generally worthless. Basically, your body doesn't absorb it.

Quote: (01-08-2014 04:06 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Magnesium improves your sleep quality?

Big time.

Quote:Quote:

The only other time I get a real deep rejuvenating sleep is after swimming in the ice cold ocean for a while. When I get home and shower and hit the bed I'm out for the count. Feels amazing though.

Just so happens that magnesium is the third most abundant element in ocean water. And your body absorbs magnesium through the skin while you're swimming until it reaches equilibrium (like sitting in a bath of epsom salts). So there you go.

I would definitely ditch that brand and go with a high-quality, transdermal magnesium that you apply topically.

I use the magnesium oil offered by Ancient Minerals. There's none better.

I bought a bottle of magnesium from GNC. They're 250mg pills. Been taking one before bed. I feel like I've been sleeping better. I don't feel as exhausted in the morning like when I take melatonin for sleep. Added benefit ...been super horny as well. Very easily aroused lately.

Team Nachos