rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Employing people whilst travelling

I have a small biz that allows me to be location independent. I'd be interested in occasionally employing some people whilst travelling and staying in a place for a couple of months.

Has anyone done this?

I wonder what the visa issues would be? I can quite easily outsource work to some of these people in different countries and have no problems but then if I'm actually sitting there with them and doing work would I then have problems with my tourist visa?

I'm looking into doing that as well here in BKK. I'm leaning towards hiring people on a commission based only but these are very generous commissions. I think one way not to have to deal or at least to minimise that as much as possible with all the employment rights/laws and regulations of a specific places is by hiring people on commissions only as sales people. Am I right with this assumption/approach? Maybe those who have successfully done that before and/or are in the legal field (Jim Kirk for example [Image: smile.gif] ) could shed some lights into the legal aspects of hiring employees internationally? For example, me in Bangkok, on a tourist visa, could I do that? Or would I need to apply for a business visa in Thailand? of course, before actually doing that, I'll consult a local lawyer but I'd like to get an initial idea from those who have done it or are in the legal field.

Thanks guys.

Quote: (12-12-2010 02:37 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

I'm looking into doing that as well here in BKK. I'm leaning towards hiring people on a commission based only but these are very generous commissions. I think one way not to have to deal or at least to minimise that as much as possible with all the employment rights/laws and regulations of a specific places is by hiring people on commissions only as sales people. Am I right with this assumption/approach? Maybe those who have successfully done that before and/or are in the legal field (Jim Kirk for example [Image: smile.gif] ) could shed some lights into the legal aspects of hiring employees internationally? For example, me in Bangkok, on a tourist visa, could I do that? Or would I need to apply for a business visa in Thailand? of course, before actually doing that, I'll consult a local lawyer but I'd like to get an initial idea from those who have done it or are in the legal field.

Thanks guys.
It depends if your employees are Thai or foreigner. If they are Thai you can just put up a Thai Limited Partnership and hire your staff thru this partnership which has to be 51% Thai and 49% foreign owned. If your employees are foreigners then things get a little bit more complicated.

you can always hire them as contractors by the company overseas

Yes, I'm with VP on this one. Get a lawyer on your side.