rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What do you think about country music?

I recently stumbled on country singer Jason Isbell and his newest album Southeastern. There is actual weight to his lyrics without talk about pickup trucks and beer. At the same time he doesn't cross over into overtly beta territory, though he songs do reflect life's pains.

I'm finding it hard to identify with the themes in pop music and hip hop. They're not so realistic.

I'm a country music fan; it's a very broad genre and I've made a few posts about it. One of my friends who is the most mobile and discerning renaissance man I know (and also black) put me onto it a few years ago. Can't get everything from a single genre is what I say.

That's because pop music these days deal with real problems- most it is stuff like girls complaining about being texted while they are dancing; they have nothing to say. Good country music lyrics are some the best across all genres.

I'm not too familiar with country music but those songs above were pretty good.

I like singer/songwriter folksy music with a hint of country or blues (think Josh Rouse or Ray LaMontagne), but that full-blown twangy honky-tonk stuff is not for me.

Greatest country band ever:

Just gonna leave this here.

http://youtu.be/WySgNm8qH-I

Some country music has lyrics that are truly funny or other times, even poetic. I like it in small doses. It's what I call "warm" music. Like if I were in my house by myself and it were cold and dark outside, that's when I would listen to it.

I'm no expert, but I generally prefer the older stuff, say pre-90s

Keep the links coming.

I should like country music--especially the stipped-down kind with heavy folk and/or bluegrass influence (that is, not the over-produced top-40 shit). It has all of the elements I like in my music. A big part of the problem is simply ignorance; I don't know it very well. I tend to like a lot of neo-country hipster music like this.

Or this (Neko Case):

This bitch has pipes. Period. Very blue-grass sounding:

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Country music is...well not good. Fortunately, Jason Isbell and some of the other bands I'll post below get put into a category called "americana" which I guess you could also call 'southern folk music'. I think its a pretty small genre, most of the bands below all play together on tours.

Lucero

Cory Branan

some of the best lyrics written "they say I'm a bad man, and they're right. I think a bad man would do you good"

American Aquarium

Will Whitmore

Justin Townes Earle

Edit: fixed broken link

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

hey, I quite like country music, and I feel it draws a lot of similarities to Scottish/European folk songs for the story telling point of view(I'm not a 100% sure but American Country has to be an off-shoot/ evolution from that sort of music)

Also there can be a lot of historical information in the lyrics.

Quote: (12-28-2013 12:23 PM)Laurifer Wrote:  

Thats awesome

Tom Hall Learns and teaches life

Quote: (12-28-2013 01:18 PM)Haig Wrote:  

hey, I quite like country music, and I feel it draws a lot of similarities to Scottish/European folk songs for the story telling point of view(I'm not a 100% sure but American Country has to be an off-shoot/ evolution from that sort of music)

Also there can be a lot of historical information in the lyrics.

You're right actually. Tennessee (well the east) was settled by scots irish aka ulster irish aka scots who supported william of orange.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Johnny Cash is the king, but Waylon Jennings is really the best too:

Quote: (12-28-2013 12:23 PM)Laurifer Wrote:  

Damn. That was awful. Is that what they call "The Nashville Sound"?

I like country music in theory, but, to be honest, it all sound like computers nowdays.

I'm more into the 'Hipster Americana' side of things.

— What do you get when you play a country song backwards?
— You get your house back, your wife back, your dog back, your truck back...

They were good actually. Might look a bit more into his stuff.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Always listened to the guitar more than anything else.

Country music used to be great.

"Equality may perhaps be a right, but no power on earth can ever turn it into a fact."

"Want him to be more of a man? Try being more of a woman!"

"It is easier to be a lover than a husband, for the same reason that it is more difficult to be witty every day, than to say bright things from time to time."

Balzac, Physiology of Marriage

Rambling. Girls. "Don't give your heart to a rambling man."

Laying down the law.

"Equality may perhaps be a right, but no power on earth can ever turn it into a fact."

"Want him to be more of a man? Try being more of a woman!"

"It is easier to be a lover than a husband, for the same reason that it is more difficult to be witty every day, than to say bright things from time to time."

Balzac, Physiology of Marriage

Probably way too hillbilly for most of you, but any outlaw country fans on here will know this classic.

I dedicate this song to Ali.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

strong WK song back from a time when WKing was accepted

Isbell came from a band called Drive-By Truckers. Seen him perform several times with different sets and groups. Cincinnati seems to be a regular stop for him.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.