rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Google's auto-complete gets man in deep shit

Be careful what you Google these days. Christ [Image: confused.gif]

[Image: tinfoilhat.gif]

Former Contractor Suing Federal Government For Stalking Him After Google Mistakenly Auto-Corrected His Search To Reference Bomb-Building

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/technolog...enly-auto#

By Will Hagle, Tue, December 10, 2013

It’s well known that auto-complete and auto-correct can be either a technological blessing or curse. There’s even an entire website dedicated towards displaying the most humorous instances of the latter. Google’s auto-complete feature, however, has one Virginia man in a not-quite-so-funny legal situation.

Jeffrey Kantor, a former government contractor, claims that an innocuous Google search led to his dismissal from his job and unnecessary harassment from the federal government. Kantor claims that his search for “How do I build a radio controlled airplane” was corrected by the search engine to “How do I build a radio controlled bomb.”

He was subsequently fired by Appian Corporation for reasons involving the search, and he has since sued “a host of government officials, including Attorney General Eric Holder, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, CIA Director John Brennan, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Secretary of State John Kerry in Federal Court, alleging civil rights violations, disclosure of private information and retaliation,” Court House News reports.

Kantor’s complaint explains that he initially searched for how to build a radio-controlled airplane in order to purchase a birthday present for his son.

“In October of 2009, Kantor used the search engine Google to try to find, ‘How do I build a radio-controlled airplane. He ran this search a couple weeks before the birthday of his son with the thought of building one together as a birthday present. After typing ‘how do I build a radio controlled’, Google auto-completed his search to, ‘how do I build a radio controlled bomb,’” the complaint reads.

Kantor claims that this search prompted a government inquiry into his personal life and his personal information, including monitoring of his web activity and emails. He also claims that the government harassed him and threatened him, ultimately forcing him out of his job with Appian.

Kantor is seeking “$13.8 million in compensatory damages and $45 million in punitive damages, as well as an injunction ordering the government to stop stalking him,” according to Court House News.

The case is timely considering the recent developments regarding the NSA’s data-monitoring and spying on individuals throughout the world. Although Kantor’s case is huge and the lawsuits against particular individuals that were likely not directly involved are going to be difficult to argue, his situation still demonstrates a growing resentment with the spying tactics of the federal government.

Team Nachos

I just tried it and google autocompletes to car and airplane. No bomb.

Here we go. We're now just a step away from people being imprisoned for thought crimes. Searching with the wrong terms may be evidence enough to throw you in the slammer.

The problem isn't google's autocomplete. The problem is the pervasive NSA spying.

You can kiss government-by-the-people goodbye in a surveillance state. When the politicians are caught up in the same surveillance dragnet as the rest of the citizens . . . make that 'subjects', there will be enough 'dirt' on them to control their votes.

I would imagine all gubmint contractors are under the magnifying glass after the Snowdun incident.

how does he think it is worth 13.8 million in compensatory damages?

God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked

The Original Emotional Alpha

I hope he fleeces them for tens of millions, just to make an example. Ridiculous!

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Does anyone remember this story after the Boston Bombing? A couple visited by the police after they Goggle searched "pressure cookers and back packs"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/01...90806.html

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine