rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I want to move to NYC

I want to move to NYC

But I need to formulate a plan on how to to do this...I could use any suggestions/tips anyone could provide. I actually lived there briefly for a time in the late 90's but I had no game at all and I suppose I didn't want it bad enough so I kind of gave up on the place.

Years later and I've "woken up" so to speak. I've realized I'm bored as heck out in exurbia.

What kind of money would I need to save up to make a move like this and will I be able to get a decent job there and hit the ground running? It seems like NYC has something for everyone. However, I have no illusions that this will be very hard to pull off. I believe that city will eat you alive if you're not prepared for it.

I'm pretty good at accomplishing specific goals when I put my mind to them and break them down into actionable tasks but it's my experience that vague "wishes" never come to fruition. I want to be as practical and hard-headed about this as I can.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I want to move to NYC

I wouldn't move to New York without at least 150,000$ salary or some way to pull that yearly. The city is a mess and will suck you dry.

I want to move to NYC

redacted

I want to move to NYC

I know many people in Manhattan on the wrong side of 30 who don't have one dime of savings to their name. Nothing in cash, nothing in the bank, nothing in the market, nothing in a retirement fund, nothing in inheritance. Don't be one of those people.

I want to move to NYC

Move next to where soup lives.

I want to move to NYC

25% of take home income is not a regular standard. Its 33% take home or 25% gross. Its also different at upper income levels. Paradoxically, the more money you make, the higher percentage you can pay for rent, since the same person could save more money even paying more.

Also consider things like retirement. If youre like me and max out you IRA contributions, thats over 1k saved a month. Dont forget to add that to your home pay.

Living in Manhattan, you probably won't need or want a car either.

This all being said, you get shit for your money there. I was at a couples place one bedroom in West Village which ran for the same Im paying in South Beach. It was a 300 sq ft shithole. My place in Sobe is amazing, place the huge state tax break.

I want to move to NYC

How old are you? Based on the late 90s reference I assume 30s+.

If you were under 25, you can rough it and hustle by on a few thousand dollars a month. I've seen well nightlife related jobs do best for low income + lots of bangs in NYC.

If you are older its not going to fly.

One problem is poor finances = working longer and harder hours = barely any time left to game.

I want to move to NYC

All depends on your age and what you want in terms of lifestyle. At 24, I lived in NY on $30Gs and had a blast. I wouldn't be happy doing that now.

Don't believe all the hype about NY being terrible of you're not rich. NY is only terrible of you're chasing some lifestyle. You can never have enough money for that, cause you'll always want more.

Right now, I could easily be happy in NY for as little as $75Gs. I wouldn't be completely happy, but I'd be fine.

Break down the lifestyle you're trying to put together and I can give you an idea of a number.

I want to move to NYC

If I were you.

1. Lockup a real career/job first. You don't move to a city with bullshit hopes and dreams of eventually getting something. Get a decent job then move there which leads me to point 2.
2. On your résumé use a bogus NYC address, yeah not "legit" who cares, after you get an offer you call HR and tell them to log address in city you are in as the main residence (problem solved) then just move there ASAP.
3. Once you have a job come back here and post up your numbers. If you're looking at $60K I would avoid the best spots (soho/meatpacking etc) and instead look for roomates out in Brooklyn. Simply put once we have the numbers we can help you.
4. If you are young, the ability to live in manhattan increases a lot, at the low end With roomates I would be eyeballing the lower east side.
5. New York will make your head spin, don't let the city destroy you. Very few make it out with $$$ in their pocket. Find a way!

NYC = on stage with spotlight on you. Lights are on don't expect handouts everyone works hard.

I want to move to NYC

Quote: (12-05-2013 09:31 PM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

How old are you? Based on the late 90s reference I assume 30s+.

Yes, that's true.

Quote: (12-05-2013 06:07 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

I know many people in Manhattan on the wrong side of 30 who don't have one dime of savings to their name. Nothing in cash, nothing in the bank, nothing in the market, nothing in a retirement fund, nothing in inheritance. Don't be one of those people.

Hmmm. Well at the moment I'm close to being there as well. I guess I feel as if I've got nothing to lose in that regard, and so it's pointless to worry, but maybe I need to think this through more carefully.

I'm just not sure where else there will be more opportunities.

I want to move to NYC

I live on less than 3k a month and that is with paying for 2. But i pay only 690 rent in Bklyn.tHE AVG SALARY AND HOUSEHOLD INCOME IS PRETTY LOW SO IF THEY CAN DO IT S OCAN YOU BUT WHY??
caps srry.

I want to move to NYC

That's what I'm thinking...why does it have to be Manhattan? Brooklyn or Queens.

I want to move to NYC

Quote: (12-06-2013 08:53 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  

That's what I'm thinking...why does it have to be Manhattan? Brooklyn or Queens.

I agree, I was in NYC this summer and I stayed in Brooklyn (Flatbush, Biggie!). It didn't take long to hook up with forum members in Manhattan. Just jump on the F train and I got to Manhattan in mins. NY is expensive and a lot of people from Manhattan are moving to Brooklyn which is driving prices up. I saw a 1 bed in Brooklyn going for about 1500 which shocked me. I think also..with the Barclays Center opening..this may play a part in driving up estate prices.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I want to move to NYC

Good advice being given all around.

Moving to NYC without having the cashflow situation squared away really is like hustling backwards. Just having a place to put your air mattress on, keeping the lights on, and food in the fridge takes a huge chunk of your net pay. Chances are you won't even have the disposable income to go the places listed on the data sheets in NYC.

I am afraid that the reports from NYC is making it sound that getting top notch pussy is easier than it really is. You read about the bangs but you miss the infrastructure(apt, suit, bankroll, Game) that was needed to be in place before you even leave the crib.

Also, guys come here on vac for a week or so and they get lucky. Then they make the math in their heads and figured; "ok, i banged 2 dimes on a week trip, if i lived here I would be able to bang 102 a year." The only problem is just doesn't work that way.

Like I written here countless of times, "NYC is not for your average guy, with average game, average bankroll." There are ton of guys in NYC with tight game and the income to out trick you six ways till Sunday.

I want to move to NYC

PWP - man you nailed it, I can't understand the hype that city gets.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

I want to move to NYC

Some points:

Yeah you can easily live in Brooklyn - Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint, Fort Greene etc. are all really cool neighbourhoods from where you can get to Manhattan quickly with the subway

You don't need much money if you want to hook up with good looking girls. Most of the girls who are early 20ies are broke anyway - if you have your own place - however small - you're golden in my opinion. Sure, if you want to date rich kids / trustafarians that might be different, but why would you want to do that ..

It's hard to find a job in NYC if you're not there physically. Sure, you can put a local address on your resume, but you will still need to be there to go to the interviews. Those can be very short notice. In my opinion you actually need to be in NYC to find a job.

It's not like everyone in NYC is a genius doing amazing work. Sure, people do work a lot, but if you're a smart guy you can easily compete with the majority of professionals there

Same with game: I am assuming your game is good. So in that case you shouldn't have any problems competing in NYC

I want to move to NYC

Living in brooklyn, I'll tell you one thing. Shit's expensive, and then some.

I want to move to NYC

Quote: (12-05-2013 02:40 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

I wouldn't move to New York without at least 150,000$ salary or some way to pull that yearly. The city is a mess and will suck you dry.

lol Chill... $150K would be great in NYC, but no way is it a bare minimum. Bare minimum, I'd say $50,000--and that's WITHOUT living in Manhattan, but in a place like Astoria. (Anyway, unless you earn at least half a million a year, I think paying Manhattan rents is retarded, no matter how "well paying" your job).

I don't really understand why anyone would want to move to this god-forsaken city, but I guess I get that for many people this is some kind of dream place. Best of luck to the OP.

AB ANTIQUO, AB AETERNO

I want to move to NYC

I made a thread asking the same thing. Look at my threads in the travel section. It seems like locals are eh about the city and transplants hype it up.

I want to move to NYC

Quote: (12-07-2013 01:35 PM)Ice Wrote:  

Some points:

Yeah you can easily live in Brooklyn - Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint, Fort Greene etc. are all really cool neighbourhoods from where you can get to Manhattan quickly with the subway

The Nabes you mentioned in Brooklyn are no way as nice as "Prime Brooklyn"(Park slope, Cobble hill, Brooklyn Heights) but they are just as expensive because people keep hyping them up. Btw, Bushiwick is still a guetto, an expensive one at that. You step to the wrong guy's girl, be prepared to have a liquid only diet when he breaks your jaw. Dimes in the hood are very far and rare in between. These guys hold on to them for dear life and are willing to kill if you threatened their pussy supply.

But I digress, Even the shittier areas of Brooklyn aren't cheap(going rate for a 1bd in East New York is 1,300), Queens can be a little bit more affordable but subway lines only run thru some neighborhoods and the closest option is going to be Long Island Railroad, so you'll be paying 7 bucks a pop peak to go into Penn station. Good luck getting a chick back to your crib from club if she has to take 3 buses to get there and you too broke to pay the 20+ cab drive.

Quote:Quote:

You don't need much money if you want to hook up with good looking girls. Most of the girls who are early 20ies are broke anyway - if you have your own place - however small - you're golden in my opinion. Sure, if you want to date rich kids / trustafarians that might be different, but why would you want to do that ..

I reckon everything is possible. Live in NYC long enough and you have seen/heard everything. However, the chances of you banging dimes consistently and are counting pennies are slim to none. That is unless you have a niche/fishbowl that you are able to keep interloper free. In NYC you have to pay to play, a lot of the venues being hyped here aren't free and there's the opportunity cost of chasing tail all day. If are working 2 or 3 jobs to keep your head above water, when are you going to have the time to go on OKcupid?

Does that mean you can't get laid in NYC if you are broke? Of course not, There are a ton of broke, dusty, thristy jailbird and FOB dudes who get pussy all the time but I'll tell you this much; they aren't fucking Ukranian models with shaved pussies every other week. And if for some reason there's some glitch in the matrix and they do get a dime, she usually drops him after the 2nd fuck session for a guy who isn't constantly glued on his Obama phone checking his checking account balance when they are at a bar.

Quote: (12-07-2013 03:09 PM)Fathom Wrote:  

Quote: (12-05-2013 02:40 PM)frenchie Wrote:  

lol Chill... $150K would be great in NYC, but no way is it a bare minimum. Bare minimum, I'd say $50,000--and that's WITHOUT living in Manhattan, but in a place like Astoria. (Anyway, unless you earn at least half a million a year, I think paying Manhattan rents is retarded, no matter how "well paying" your job).

You can live on 50k a year in a Astoria? You really need to break this down homie.

I want to move to NYC

^Distant Light is a good example of a broke dude who built a fishbowl. He's broke and he fucks the hottest girls and gets into all the top NYC clubs. Although personally I'd rather be making money and living centrally.

If you are living anywhere long term I don't see why you can't build a fishbowl.

I want to move to NYC

Quote: (12-08-2013 02:18 AM)playa_with_a_passport Wrote:  

Quote: (12-07-2013 01:35 PM)Ice Wrote:  

Some points:

The Nabes you mentioned in Brooklyn are no way as nice as "Prime Brooklyn"(Park slope, Cobble hill, Brooklyn Heights) but they are just as expensive because people keep hyping them up. Btw, Bushiwick is still a guetto, an expensive one at that. You step to the wrong guy's girl, be prepared to have a liquid only diet when he breaks your jaw. Dimes in the hood are very far and rare in between. These guys hold on to them for dear life and are willing to kill if you threatened their pussy supply.

Nah, Bushwick is not the Ghetto, I am talking about Morgan L and Jefferson L, in these places there are new bars & restaurants etc. opening up all the time. LOL @ getting into fights there - never had any problems at all. I never had the impression that it's a "tough" neighbourhood at all. And it really depends what girls you are into - I 've seen so many good looking girls in that area. But maybe we're not into the same type of girls. I'm not very interested in "posh" girls with mini skirts and high heels - it's just not my style. I think these types of girls tend to be quite stuck up and not very fun to hang out with.

But I digress, Even the shittier areas of Brooklyn aren't cheap(going rate for a 1bd in East New York is 1,300), Queens can be a little bit more affordable but subway lines only run thru some neighborhoods and the closest option is going to be Long Island Railroad, so you'll be paying 7 bucks a pop peak to go into Penn station. Good luck getting a chick back to your crib from club if she has to take 3 buses to get there and you too broke to pay the 20+ cab drive.

Well yeah, you should be able to afford a cab ride home ..

Quote:Quote:

I reckon everything is possible. Live in NYC long enough and you have seen/heard everything. However, the chances of you banging dimes consistently and are counting pennies are slim to none. That is unless you have a niche/fishbowl that you are able to keep interloper free. In NYC you have to pay to play, a lot of the venues being hyped here aren't free and there's the opportunity cost of chasing tail all day. If are working 2 or 3 jobs to keep your head above water, when are you going to have the time to go on OKcupid?

There are a ton of parties that are free or almost free - warehouse parties, loft parties, openings etc. But yeah, if you have to be working 2 or 3 jobs then it's probably gonna be problematic .. when I say you don't need much money in NYC I am not talking about a situation where you're working 3 jobs minimum wage ..

Does that mean you can't get laid in NYC if you are broke? Of course not, There are a ton of broke, dusty, thristy jailbird and FOB dudes who get pussy all the time but I'll tell you this much; they aren't fucking Ukranian models with shaved pussies every other week. And if for some reason there's some glitch in the matrix and they do get a dime, she usually drops him after the 2nd fuck session for a guy who isn't constantly glued on his Obama phone checking his checking account balance when they are at a bar.

Yeah sure, you can always do better in terms of girls. But that depends on so many factors - not only money. The question is, who is fucking Ukranian models with shaved pussies every other week? There might be some dudes - guys who run model agencies or own a fashion magazine or something like that. Great for them. But do you think you can recreate that when you have a 150k office job as a lawyer? I doubt it. But as I said above, you def need a certain amount of disposable $$$.

I want to move to NYC

redacted

I want to move to NYC

Houston has a good point here, when you live in NYC your standards just start shooting up.

People who visit NYC usually love it for about 6 months then start bitching about the mean people and the cost of living. So you get this back and forth where some NYC people get sick of it and party less and guys from outside NYC can't believe the talent.

That said if you have good cash flow there is literally no reason to hate on NYC. That's where you see the divergence occur.

Based on the OP if I was in my 30's and didn't have a good/solid job locked in I would probably opt out.

I want to move to NYC

Well for the sake of argument, what other cities in the US offer as much (or better) in terms of social life and opportunities to earn a living? I can think of places with nicer weather, for sure.