rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Most effective home workout?

I'm looking to start an effective home workout routine that I can do daily. I'd like to hear what has worked and what hasn't from those who do have a routine that they follow.

My father has always told me pushups and sit-ups are all you need, but since I've done squats, deadlifts and benchpress before, I'm more keen to trying exercises that are close to what I could do at the gym.

If anyone has any insight it terms of routine, or even diet for that matter, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks.

I can go in greater detail, and probably should once I sober up right proper, but all you really need is the Armstrong Pullup Program - google it since I don't have the link handy.
Get yourself a pullup bar and do the routine every morning. If you have big arms, that's all that matters in the wide wide world of girls judging men for musculature.

How about Convict Conditioning?

https://www.google.com/search?q=7+minute+workout

What equipment do you have?

For bodyweight, pushups, squats and pullups are what you do.

With a bar,

Deadlifts
Squat
Benchpress
Over-head press

are all you really 'need'

If you want to do a 5th, do a bent-over barbell row
If you want to do a 6th, do barbell calf raises
If you want to do a 7th, do barbell curls

After getting sick of spending $40 a month on a gym with 100 treadmills and bikes and dozens of cable machines that I never used - but only a single squat rack, I put together a home gym in my garage with all I needed, mostly second hand from gumtree (an australian online classifieds site).
Best of all it's only cost me $100 for:

squat rack
Adjustable bench
doorway chin up bar
2 barbells
1 ez bar
4 adjustable dumbells
~300kg weight

Weights and fitness gear is something that a lot of people have lying around that they want to get rid of, but they often don't know the going rate. By checking the site for new ads often, I was able to pounce on underpriced deals quickly. I bought a few of these packages, I was able to accumulate close to 500kg of weight at around $1 per/kg, which is ~1/2 the going rate for second hand weights and ~1/4 the price of new, and got the squat rack and adjustable bench for just $100. When I went to collect these items, each and every person remarked how the phone just didn't stop ringing from the moment they posted the ad - proof that there are quite a few people doing the same thing, and that the deal is a good one.

Of course, nobody needs dozens of 2.5 and 1.25kg plates, so I took the bars and plates that I needed, and put together my own packages to sell online at the proper market rate, recouping most of my costs. The only thing I wasn't able to get cheaply were the rubber floor tiles which cost $50/sqm, but are a must to stop from cracking my homes foundation when dropping heavy deadlifts, .

I keep my workouts simple:

Deadlifts
Squats
Bench press
Overhead press
Chins

And if I wanted to, I could do all sorts of dumbell and vanity exercises. There's nothing holding back my progression - I've got more weight than I can lift, and for the chins, I use a martial arts belt to add weight. And best of all, I can lift barefoot, wearing nothing but my undies [Image: banana.gif]

The only thing I miss from the gym is checking out the fine girls, but I can live with that.

Quote: (11-21-2013 03:20 AM)Sharkie Wrote:  

My bro swears on it.

It's not bad, but the set and rep schemes are awful and there's just not enough volume.

If the guy (who assuredly did not go to prison) rewrote everything in accordance with Zatsiorsky's rules for making strength gains then you could expect the Convict Conditioning athletes to look somewhat more swole.

I do one hand push ups with a filled rucksack. I use it for many different work outs. As for pull ups I use some construction outdoor.

Hades----- could you elaborate a bit?
I've just gotten off heavy smoking so will go slow into a new regime.

Convict conditioning has a gradual improv, so preferring that, although it isn't the best. Fits in to a variable work week also, since it doesn't take as much time, atleast initially. Thoughts?

p90x actually worked out pretty well for myself.. learned a bunch of different exercises now I don't even watch the videos and just make up my own routine based off of the different things I learned from it. The p90x routine is somewhat time consuming (~1hr a day)

Quote: (11-21-2013 02:05 PM)d3traktion Wrote:  

p90x actually worked out pretty well for myself.. learned a bunch of different exercises now I don't even watch the videos and just make up my own routine based off of the different things I learned from it. The p90x routine is somewhat time consuming (~1hr a day)
I saw good gains from p90x myself. Its good cause its structured and gives you a gide line all you have to do is man up and follow it. I still use the p90x but I added heavy lifts to the appropriate days (like incline chest press on chest days, I sub out on of the push up variations for a heavy lift)

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Are you already in good shape?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I did it for about 6 or 7 months. I really liked it at the time, and I still believe it has value, although, like Hades, I believe the routines are not enough. It's good for getting shredded, but it's not optimal for getting big.

Quote: (11-21-2013 11:19 AM)Sharkie Wrote:  

Hades----- could you elaborate a bit?
I've just gotten off heavy smoking so will go slow into a new regime.

Convict conditioning has a gradual improv, so preferring that, although it isn't the best. Fits in to a variable work week also, since it doesn't take as much time, atleast initially. Thoughts?

I was a smoker when I did CC, and I smoked between 5 to 20-30 cigs a day. I always felt like shit during it (couldnt breathe) and afterwards (nauseous from the effort).

[Now I only smoke when I really feel the urge and I must have smoked less than 20 cigarrettes in the last 6 months).]

Any kind of training is a gradual improv, as you go from weaker to stronger, sedentary to athletic, slow to fast, etc. I'm on 5/3/1 and if you have access to equipment basic equipment, I would highly recommend.

Pull ups are a brilliant compound exercise and should be top of your list

Quote: (11-21-2013 03:18 AM)Hades Wrote:  

I can go in greater detail, and probably should once I sober up right proper, but all you really need is the Armstrong Pullup Program - google it since I don't have the link handy.
Get yourself a pullup bar and do the routine every morning. If you have big arms, that's all that matters in the wide wide world of girls judging men for musculature.

For the most part, but you need the back/chest to compliment. Pushups/pullups cover most of those muscle groups I believe.

[Image: attachment.jpg15540]   

[Image: attachment.jpg15541]   

Quote:Quote:

RIP Major Charles Lewis Armstrong
Note: It has recently come to the attention of the blog that the near-mythical Major Armstrong, of the famous Armstrong Pull-up Program, was a real historical figure, and of course, a Marine, as the legend claims. He died this summer in Texas from cancer. His career spanned from 1966 all the way until 1991, and the pull-up record was his at one time. The following is from the University of Texas NROTC alumni newsletter this fall:

In Memoriam
Charles L. “Chuck” Armstrong (MOI ’80-’82)

Major Charles Lewis Armstrong
Major Charles Lewis Armstrong

Charles L. Armstrong, LTCOL USMC (Ret) passed away quietly in his sleep early on the morning of August 14, 2011 in his Trophy Club, TX home from recently diagnosed brain cancer. Chuck, a native Texan, graduated from High School in Paris, TX in 1966, where he was an All-State coronet player.
Upon graduation he enlisted in the Marine Corps, with the expressed intent of serving a combat tour in Vietnam. He eventually did that after graduating East Texas State University and receiving his commission as a 2ndLT. While studying, Armstrong managed and coached at the Paris Karate School, Texas Karate Institute (Dallas) and East Texas State University, where he was a nationally ranked competition fighter and Co-Captain of the school’s competition team. Choosing to remain in the Marine Corps until 1991, Chuck’s career involved him in four shooting wars across 22 foreign countries. He held the posts of Marine Officer Instructor (MOI) at UT, Head of Regular Marine Officer Procurement, U.S. Naval Attaché in El Salvador, G3 of Marine Forces Central Command in Riyadh, as well as others. He was Commanding Officer of units as large as 650 and Chief Operations Officer of units as large as 7,000 and received over 40 decorations, medals, and citations, including the Defense Superior Service Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Medal, and Purple Heart.
Following his retirement from the Marine Corps, LTCOL Armstrong completed the executive MBA program at SMU’s Cox School of Business and went on to work in various executive positions in companies ranging from start-ups to “Fortune 500” before making three returns to combat zones as a civilian. These included Egypt, Lebanon, and, most recently, the Anbar Province of Iraq. Throughout this period, he wrote dozens of articles published in books, periodicals, and professional journals, such as The Marine Corps Gazette, one of which won the Wilcox Award for professional writing. In recent years he enjoyed mentoring several military, retiring military, and graduating MBAs. In addition to competing in numerous karate tournaments, Chuck, a lifelong fitness enthusiast, has run marathons and on two occasions set the world record for the most pull-ups completed in a single session, performing 1,435 repetitions in under five hours during his second attempt. He was a certified parachutist and scuba diver, and an avid weight lifter. He was also fluent in Spanish and enjoyed using the language on a nearly daily basis for the latter twenty years of his life. Armstrong is survived by his wife Marlys, his son Jason, his sister Jane Harper, his wolf Ringo, and countless friends scattered in every corner of the world.

http://armstrongpullupprogram.com/

I would liked to have met this man. Looks like a good program. I'll start in a couple days and report back. I can't do much on my legs right now anyway.

Recommended, Im reading it right now. Looks tough but achievable, my goal is to be able to do the one armed pullups.

20 minutes of:
5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 squats
20 sit ups

See how many rounds you can do in twenty mins.

Consistent morning pushups are good. I own a couple of kettlebells(a 24 & a 32kg), a 50lb weight vest, some rings and straps, sandbags for the beach, an ab wheel, a large workout mat, foam roller. But I live in a 600sq ft apt and end up at the gym almost every day. If I had a bigger place or a home I would have a full power cage set up or one of these packages http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts...1&pid=3234

I used to do the Matt Furey program a long time ago, it was good, but the way he teaches squats I disagree with. Back bridges though are great. Get a good bicycle too.

Quote: (11-23-2013 05:40 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

20 minutes of:
5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 squats
20 sit ups

See how many rounds you can do in twenty mins.

or the crossfit cindy workout, 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats, as many rounds possible in 20 minutes. Got up to 23 when I was doing crossfit. Even 10 rounds for time is a good option for a warm up or a short burner.

I'm currently trying Convict Conditioning based on Roosh's recomendation.

So far, it's pretty good. The program makes sense in terms of hitting every muscle group and allowing for progressively increasing strength.

I still find I get better results with a four-day gym workout (Mon/Thurs - Legs, Back, Biceps, Tues/Fri - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps) doing 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps. Could probably make that even more minimalist, but it's worked in the past.

Still, I wanna commit to convict conditioning for a couple months, as I do a lot of travel and being able to workout without a gym would be awesome.

If you were wanting a home gym, one barbell with weights and a rack could cover squat, deadlift, and bench. Get an ez bar and you can do curls.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Quote: (11-23-2013 06:05 PM)puckman Wrote:  

Consistent morning pushups are good. I own a couple of kettlebells(a 24 & a 32kg), a 50lb weight vest, some rings and straps, sandbags for the beach, an ab wheel, a large workout mat, foam roller. But I live in a 600sq ft apt and end up at the gym almost every day. If I had a bigger place or a home I would have a full power cage set up or one of these packages http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts...1&pid=3234

I used to do the Matt Furey program a long time ago, it was good, but the way he teaches squats I disagree with. Back bridges though are great. Get a good bicycle too.

I did Never Gymless for awhile and liked the layout. He covers resistance band, isometrics, and good diet tips. Unfortunately I gave the book away. The only downside, like most programs, is you need a good pull up bar, which is a bitch when traveling. I'd be curious to put his and Matt Fury's programs side by side.

Quote: (11-23-2013 06:39 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (11-23-2013 06:05 PM)puckman Wrote:  

I did Never Gymless for awhile and liked the layout. He covers resistance band, isometrics, and good diet tips. Unfortunately I gave the book away. The only downside, like most programs, is you need a good pull up bar, which is a bitch when traveling. I'd be curious to put his and Matt Fury's programs side by side.

Furey was all about high reps, do 1000 hindu squats in a day, 1000 hindu pushups and back bridges. It was his basic program, and was really simple. I really liked his ab program, I think thats his most advanced stuff.

My recommendations:

2 workouts:
Simple fit 3x a week - Tue, Thur, Sat as an example
Kettlebell swings 3x a week - Mon, Wed, Fri

Simple fit web site

Go to Marks Daily Apple forum and find the simple fit thread for results from this workout.

You do not need an actual kettlebell. . . just make a T-handle and buy some standard sized weights, not olympic weights, to fit the T-handle.

To start on the KB swings do 30 seconds on and 30 off, goal is 20 minutes. Buy a Timex Ironman watch and use the count down timer for this, i.e 30on/30 off, or apps are available for smart phones if you have one. Over time add weight to the T-handle to make the swings more difficult.

A badass KB swing workout - Plenty more to be found out on the web.

Diet
LCHF

These 2 workouts are very scalable and in conjunction with a good clean eating diet will take you from beginner to being muscular and ripped. You may not get giant, you need weights for that, but you will look solid and very good.

Quote: (11-23-2013 02:38 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

Quote: (11-21-2013 03:18 AM)Hades Wrote:  

For the most part, but you need the back/chest to compliment. Pushups/pullups cover most of those muscle groups I believe.

To be fair, Armstrong pullup program actually includes pushups.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling