rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sustainable Off Grid Living

-

Is anyone else here interested in sustainability, off grid living, aquaponics, aquaculture, stuff like that?

Right now I'm involved in a startup and hopefully selling out for a fortune in the medium term future.

Once this happens I would be very interested in buying myself agriculturally productive land and learning how to live off the grid.

I'm worried about the collapse of various systems that we depend on, namely those specific to food, energy, economics, and general security.

I've been hearing a lot about how great Chile is as a target for foreigners purchasing agriculturally productive land.

The US also seems like a good place to be although it depends on whether you are the kind of person who views the US gubmint being part of the problems and thus wanting to get up and abroad.

Anyway, I'd love to hear people's thoughts or experiences.

I was trying to understand this business few years ago. There are lots of opportunities in this area in Brazil, actually I knew few farmers years ago who were making great money doing this.

Any books that you recommend for me to understand this area and side of business?

For a while I've been interested in permaculture, which is the idea of integrating sustainable agriculture and food production with the man made and natural environment.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I've looked into aquaponics a bit and the idea of having my own fishery is alluring, but I don't really know where I'd put that! My apartment is too small for that, and I don't have a garden.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

delete double post..internet tripping

Quote: (11-18-2013 07:33 AM)pitt Wrote:  

I was trying to understand this business few years ago. There are lots of opportunities in this area in Brazil, actually I knew few farmers years ago who were making great money doing this.

Any books that you recommend for me to understand this area and side of business?

This is a site I follow specifically about off-grid living: http://www.off-grid.net/

This is a documentaries website that has a lot of great environmental films. You can browse through these:

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch_environment_videos/

I recommend that anyone interested in the general area of sustainable economics and sustainability to check out these two books:

Natural Capitalism

Cradle to Cradle

A TED talk from William McDonough, the guy who wrote Cradle to Cradle:

http://www.ted.com/talks/william_mcdonou...esign.html

Permaculture Video