rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best set up for having a dedicated US number abroad?

Wondering if anyone knows the best set up / app to have a US number to use while abroad.

From my quick research talkatone and google voice seem to the a fairly good option.

I am trying to sign up for a google voice number and it ask me for a US number that calls will be forwarded to. Is this just for activation purposes or will all my calls get forwarded to that number? I was planning on using my friends US mobile number for activation.

Anyone have any experience with this or other suggestions?

Try Grasshopper.

http://www.grasshopper.com

Quote: (11-06-2013 06:09 PM)5th Street Wrote:  

Wondering if anyone knows the best set up / app to have a US number to use while abroad.

From my quick research talkatone and google voice seem to the a fairly good option.

I am trying to sign up for a google voice number and it ask me for a US number that calls will be forwarded to. Is this just for activation purposes or will all my calls get forwarded to that number? I was planning on using my friends US mobile number for activation.

Anyone have any experience with this or other suggestions?

I think you can use your friends mobile for activation and then change where they are forwarded to. I do know you need a cell to activate.

With Skype you can get a "normal" phone number

Google Voice

google.com/voice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice

Google Voice + Talkatone App (for iPhone). Credit your Google Voice account with $10 and you'll be set for a while.

Quote: (11-06-2013 10:16 PM)Northern Wrote:  

With Skype you can get a "normal" phone number

Only problem is the voice mails are a bit sketchy with Skype In, at least in my experiences. Sometimes it would just ring and ring, so if you're using it for business and stuff like that, its not 100% reliable.

I use a ip PBX and sip trunks on a computer sitting somewhere with a stable data connection. And what's called a soft phone, purchase sip trunks from any provider,
There are a million free ip PBX software solutions you can use. Asterisk, 3cx, just google it. Best thing your not dependent upon Skype, google, or anyone else's server so no quality issues at all. If you pm me I can definitely assist, this is what I actually do for living and would be more than happy to assist. Don't worry I would t charge to help someone iut, I'm a bit if a nerd a genuinely like what I do and helping.

I use viber. It's not quite as clear as a regular phone line but close enough. If you have a strong wifi or mobile connection the calls will come in clear.

I will say if your business/employment are dependent upon phone this is the one place where you shouldnt be cheap, I'm not saying spend a fortune on voice but if your livelihood depends on the phone I'd stray away from apps like google voice, skype, Magic Jack, Vonage, viber etc.... Maybe a hosted solution like an 8x8 or RingCentral would be alright as you'd have a US number though you'd still be dependent upon the data connection which in places like Philippines is hit or miss. If looking for quality calls hosting your own PBX in a data center it doesnt haven the states somewhere is the only route to go. The reason I say a data center is best because as long as you have a decent data connection where you are physically located; it doesnt have to be great, doesn't even have to be that good to tell you the truth, just something decent you are good to go. Reason being QoS (quality of service) will be handled in the data center as they will definitely have fiber no matter which you use cutting down on jitter, and latency (the two biggest foes in the world of VoIP telephony). Data centers have very stringent guidelines ie. not in a flood zone, earthquake and tornado rated buildings, multiple security check points at the one point of entry and a backup data center for redundancy at another like facility usually in a different state so if your server goes down for whatever reason your backup server is turned up and you are good to go. Will it cost more absolutely with that being said its not a fortune and if your lively hood depends on your communications surely its worth additional cost. There are many IP PBX's that are completely free ie asterisk, and many that have a free open source versions 3cx, trixvox, freepbx, vodavi with call recording features, auto attendants, find me follow me features, voice mail, smart phone apps, and fax to email capabilites. If you have any technical ability its something you can figure out or just pay someone to set it up for you. Once its in its in and changes from then on out are minor and pretty inexpensive. Not trying to piss on anyone who uses those services but I make a good amount of money from people wanting a solution with superb voice quality and more/better features to fit their business needs. Mind you I'm being very impartial here by not recommending anything specific which as a sales man goes against everything I believe. Hope this helps!

jj1up speaks the truth. I tried doing the telecommuting thing back in 2005/6 before 4 hr workweek came out and used Vonage, then later Skype of course and also have google voice. It's not the service but really how fast your connection is. When i had a good wired connection, ppl in us thought i was in the next room but if i had a shitty connection, sucks and even now when im in the us, voip sucks if my connection is shit. gonna pm ya jj

localphone.com