rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Man Lives on $5K a Year - 360 View of his "hobbit hole"

Man Lives on K a Year - 360 View of his "hobbit hole"

Quote:Quote:

"This place is like my church, my meditation room," said Dan Price, 56, about his home of the last 10 years. "This is where I recharge my batteries, this is where I do all my deep thinking." Price has plenty of time to recharge, since he keeps his expenses so low that he only has to earn around $5000 a year.

Go to the link below to check out where he lives.
http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/...house?lite

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Beautiful. That's true freedom right there.

I'd say the majority of Americans are programmed and function to constantly add more to their physical surroundings. Bigger couch, bigger TV, bigger everything. I admit at one point I started on this path, before the red pill kicked in.

I haven't owned a TV in 13 years or so but I've started to reconsider everything else. I never ride my bike. I've got hundreds of books I never pick up that I read years ago. I could definitely downsize my personal belongings.

Imagine coming home to something like this:
[Image: tatami_floormats.jpg]

To me, it seems instantly calming.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (11-06-2013 06:12 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

I'd say the majority of Americans are programmed and function to constantly add more to their physical surroundings. Bigger couch, bigger TV, bigger everything. I admit at one point I started on this path, before the red pill kicked in.

I haven't owned a TV in 13 years or so but I've started to reconsider everything else. I never ride my bike. I've got hundreds of books I never pick up that I read years ago. I could definitely downsize my personal belongings.

Did not owning a TV affect your game ?

I don't watch TV either & didnt own one until bitches started getting flabbergasted by the fact that i don't have one when i brought them over. How about getting one & placing it in your bedroom instead of the living room so when you bring a girl over you can immediately take her to your fuckpad with the solid excuse of " watching a movie". Increased my chill-to-pull ratio by about 20% !

As for the guy ... even Captain Capitalism won't live like that !

I don't want to live like that. But more power to him.

That's not living ...it's existing.

I don't need too much to get by. Probably just a laptop
and maybe an acoustic guitar.

Team Nachos

Quote: (11-06-2013 06:32 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

That's not living ...it's existing.

I don't need too much to get by. Probably just a laptop
and maybe an acoustic guitar.

I think that hobbit hole has good acoustics. [Image: smile.gif] jk

That is just existence, I agree. It isn't living. But it is a start and you could build on the existence to then be living.

I think I have like 3 laptops floating around my place. Just a lot of crap. Sometimes just seeing nothing is very soothing.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Looks more like a rape den than a hobbit hole... Look at all those damn locks. WTF does he have to steal?

[Image: ss-131010-frugality-tease.photoblog900.jpg]

Stealing that line! "Hey babe, u wanna see my hobbit hole?!"

Team Nachos

Quote: (11-06-2013 06:20 PM)Broseidon Wrote:  

I don't watch TV either & didnt own one until bitches started getting flabbergasted by the fact that i don't have one when i brought them over. How about getting one & placing it in your bedroom instead of the living room so when you bring a girl over you can immediately take her to your fuckpad with the solid excuse of " watching a movie". Increased my chill-to-pull ratio by about 20% !

While I know that "Let's watch a movie at my place" is a solid move, I don't think I've lost any bangs because of it. I replace it with "Let's have some wine at my place." or "Let's have dinner at my place."

I just hate T.V. I've sat through some shows that people freak out over and I just don't get it. It does absolutely nothing for me. The only thing I'm interested in are Science and History shows which I can just watch online. I hate that people make T.V. the focal point in their living rooms, and it's incredibly uncomfortable for me to sit in a room with other humans and all of us watching a glowing screen. It's like being face-to-face with The Matrix.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

It shows an iPad and what looks like an Asus Ultrabook in the picture.

I couldn't live in something with such a low ceiling and no kitchen but it's always interesting to see things like this. Very smart building it into the side of a hill.

If he made this with $750, it'd be interesting to see what a bigger budget could get you.

I've always been somewhat interested in minimalist living, maybe not this extreme but having a smaller home vs all these rooms you never used, not buying bigger and better stuff just for the sake of buying bigger and better stuff. The idea of shipping contianer homes really appeals to me, some really cool ideas you can do with them.

People do things like this because they hate and fear life. They feel the need to shut themselves off from the world at a time when life has never been more interesting, various, and pleasurable. Why do they hate and fear it so much? Good question.

By "people" I really mean men. I'll give this to women, they may pay lip service to an ideology but in their animal health they're built to roll with the punches of everyday life. They would not stand for nonsense like this for a second, and that's a good instinct they have.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

I bet this guy gets zero ass.

The only reason guys acquire wealth is to get pussy. Minimalism is like pussy Kryptonite.

Team Nachos

This guy's story is so ripe for discussion.

During the winter, he decamps to Hawaii to surf and avoid the harsh weather.

How often do you go to Hawaii to surf? Anyone? Crickets.

Quote: (11-06-2013 09:18 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

People do things like this because they hate and fear life. They feel the need to shut themselves off from the world at a time when life has never been more interesting, various, and pleasurable. Why do they hate and fear it so much? Good question.

Maybe you're right, maybe it's fear, maybe they simply function differently than the rest of us and simply do not care or need what most of us need, but whatever the reason I know I could never do what this guy did, but I admire people that simply say fuck it and live on their own terms. More power to him. But yeah, this lifestyle is probably the most powerful pussy repellant ever.

Quote: (11-06-2013 06:12 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Quote: (11-06-2013 08:56 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Quote: (11-06-2013 06:20 PM)Broseidon Wrote:  

While I know that "Let's watch a movie at my place" is a solid move, I don't think I've lost any bangs because of it. I replace it with "Let's have some wine at my place." or "Let's have dinner at my place."

I just hate T.V. I've sat through some shows that people freak out over and I just don't get it. It does absolutely nothing for me. The only thing I'm interested in are Science and History shows which I can just watch online. I hate that people make T.V. the focal point in their living rooms, and it's incredibly uncomfortable for me to sit in a room with other humans and all of us watching a glowing screen. It's like being face-to-face with The Matrix.

It's funny, I'm very much like this, I don't own a TV and don't care about it at all. I'm also mostly interested in science and history docus and some movies, which I watch online.

Obviously I wouldn't go to this guy's extreme but I definitely like that minimalist house you posted, it makes you feel serene and calm and is aesthetically wonderful, and with all the sensory overload we experience in our modern lives we need more of that.

Anyone trashing on this guy should read (or re-read) Walden by Henry Thoreau.

You cannot make the assumption that this guy does this out of fear of the outside world. Throughout history there have been many naturalists that choose nature over society. Look at John Muir.

I've had some deeply profound moments out in nature, and I mean out in the boonies away from civilization for a few weeks. At some point you start to question the need to live in cities and in such close proximity with other humans. To quote Maynard James Keenan from Tool: "One great big festering neon distraction."

There was a quote on the forums a while back, some quote from a famous Indian (feather, not dot) chief. Basically referring to the fact that before white man came to North America, Indians would hunt out in the open, fish from clean waters, smoke, and have sex while their women did all the cleaning, cooking, and domestic duties. Then white man came and brought the concepts of property ownership, government, and taxes.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

An extremely short sighted opinion to think people only do this sort of thing because they are afraid of the outside world. Nothing wrong with sacrificing a TV, a car and 2 extra bedrooms if it means being able to travel/surf/(insert passion) for 6 months in every year

I am getting claustrophobic just looking at the place. I noticed the roll of toilet paper but see no toilet. Not sure I even want to know how this is done.

Good for him but to each his own. No way I could do it. I am guessing he has given up on women too?

I am thinking in the next 50 years we will all be living like this but for now I like my bathroom, kitchen and central ac.

I see he has power. So what is it's source?

thedude3737, I hear what you're saying...

Yes, there can be intense and even ecstatic relief in nature. I know that.

But that's what it is, at its best -- relief from the fuller and more meaningful life of the world.

I've had some deeply profound moments out in nature, and I mean out in the boonies away from civilization for a few weeks.

Yes -- a few weeks -- that sounds exactly right.

But I'd wager you would not want to make it much more than that because there is not enough there for a man with a heart and a mind.

And I do not feel that the people who do the sorts of things described in the article actually love nature in the way you speak about. Not any more than the "animal rights" activists you wrote about some time ago really love animals. There are other things going on there... the things that I characterized as fear and hatred of life.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

It doesn't look that bad. I've lived in a tiny cabin which was almost as claustrophobic. Had the time of my life.

I was young and naive. I assumed at first that girls would freak out. Turned out they didn't mind coming to my shed in the woods.

This guy's taking it to the extreme, but honestly, consider how stories like this expose our whole economic system.

We're still recovering from a recession caused by the federal government and Wall Street trying to prop up the housing market.

But why should houses be so expensive that people need help from Uncle Sam to save themselves from foreclosure to begin with?

Quote: (11-06-2013 11:41 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  

thedude3737, I hear what you're saying...

Yes, there can be intense and even ecstatic relief in nature. I know that.

But that's what it is, at its best -- relief from the fuller and more meaningful life of the world.

I've had some deeply profound moments out in nature, and I mean out in the boonies away from civilization for a few weeks.

Yes -- a few weeks -- that sounds exactly right.

But I'd wager you would not want to make it much more than that because there is not enough there for a man with a heart and a mind.

And I do not feel that the people who do the sorts of things described in the article actually love nature in the way you speak about. Not any more than the "animal rights" activists you wrote about some time ago really love animals. There are other things going on there... the things that I characterized as fear and hatred of life.

As much as I hate to admit it, there is a reason I live in L.A... It's a love/hate relationship. And I'm not at a point where I could be happy living out in nature all the time, at least I don't think so. Who knows? I've never really gone for it.

I disagree on some points though. I know for a fact that there are certain guys, city life just does nothing for them. A couple of my friends are in this category. One of them is a forest ranger and spends most of the year out in the woods at his station. On the rare occasion he has to come into town he absolutely hates it and can't wait to get back out. He's a weird guy (who isn't?) but he's not antisocial or at odds with the world in any way. He truly feels home out there.

Another friend moved up to Alaska. He's not entirely remote but last I checked he's in a village of 220 people teaching Yupik kids. I've known this guy since high school, very warm and funny guy, just has no use for highly populated areas or 99% of the stuff that most of the population indulges in.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (11-06-2013 09:20 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I bet this guy gets zero ass.

The only reason guys acquire wealth is to get pussy. Minimalism is like pussy Kryptonite.

You might be surprised. I could see some green, vegan, hippie chics getting wet over something like this.

Speaking of minimalism, maybe these will be the apartments of the future:

[Image: coffinhotel.jpg]

Good luck trying to bring some poon back to that thing. Half the female population in America wouldn't fit through the front door.