rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best place to register a business in SEA?

I'm looking at registering a business in South East Asia and so far, the places I have in mind to do that on top of opening a business bank account are:
a) Hong Kong
b) Singapore
c) Taiwan

Which one is the best to open and register a business? Best in terms of ease of opening the business, speed of opening/registering the biz in # of days and in terms of restrictions and tax benefits? and also where has the lowest fee for opening/registering a biz and lowest banking fees? Anyone in here with first hand experience of opening/registering a biz in SEA?

Much appreciated for sharing any first hand experience and or tips to where to look for more info.

Thanks guys.

Singapore for every reason, and the other don't even come close.

http://www.singaporestartup.com/why-singapore

Hong Kong, although a former British colony, does not have the level of English that Singapore does. Trust me, Taiwan doesn't have much going for it. Language would be a massive problem and if I remember correctly, VP, I don't think you speak any of the Chinese dialects, much less Fujianese or Cantonese.

Thanks YMG.
Just saw on tv here that the World Bank has ranked Singapore as the best place in the world to do business and this for the 5th straight year. That is impressive. I'm now planning for a visit for a week there to get things rolling.
Btw, anyone in here with first hand experience of registering a bizz/opening a biz account there?
You're right YMG that I do not speak any of the SEA languages yet.

Thanks again.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/03/how-sin...ing-world/

Simon from the Sovereign Man (http://www.sovereignman.com) has his business setup in Singapore. That tells me a lot.

Let us know how it goes in Singapore. I didn't have a chance to make it out there. I planned on going sometime early next year.

Quote: (11-04-2010 10:47 PM)Passport Hustler Wrote:  

Simon from the Sovereign Man (http://www.sovereignman.com) has his business setup in Singapore. That tells me a lot.

Let us know how it goes in Singapore. I didn't have a chance to make it out there. I planned on going sometime early next year.

Yeah Simon is one guy I read his emails religiously each day. This is what I and everyone aspiring to living the jet set lifestyle should aspire to reach. I'll also register my biz to Singapore in the next few weeks. I'm off in a couple of hours to the beaches of Southern Thailand. [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (11-04-2010 10:47 PM)Passport Hustler Wrote:  

Can someone explain to me why "Simon," who fancies himself a successful international deal-maker, jetting off to every country under the sun "on important business," seems to spend most of his time selling memberships to his web site?

To me, this is no different than guys who make money teaching other guys how to make money on the Internet.

To nail the lid in the coffin in my mind, "Simon" brags about working together with Doug Casey of Casey Research. A total scumbag newsletter outfit that uses its subscriber base to pump & dump stocks, make money off promoting worthless companies, among other unethical and unsavory methods.

The guy's newsletter is interesting at first glance, but is eerily similar in tone to "The Sovereign Society," which uses a combination of "The US is DOOMED. INFLATION IS COMING. THE DOLLAR IS HISTORY!" scare tactics combined with "Buy our newsletters NOW to SAVE YOURSELF!" to make all of its money.

Quote: (11-05-2010 03:25 AM)subutai Wrote:  

Can someone explain to me why "Simon," who fancies himself a successful international deal-maker, jetting off to every country under the sun "on important business," seems to spend most of his time selling memberships to his web site?

To me, this is no different than guys who make money teaching other guys how to make money on the Internet.

To nail the lid in the coffin in my mind, "Simon" brags about working together with Doug Casey of Casey Research. A total scumbag newsletter outfit that uses its subscriber base to pump & dump stocks, make money off promoting worthless companies, among other unethical and unsavory methods.

The guy's newsletter is interesting at first glance, but is eerily similar in tone to "The Sovereign Society," which uses a combination of "The US is DOOMED. INFLATION IS COMING. THE DOLLAR IS HISTORY!" scare tactics combined with "Buy our newsletters NOW to SAVE YOURSELF!" to make all of its money.

Hey Subutai I agree some of things you wrote here, especially using FEAR as a selling point. That's a classic marketing technique that will probably never die.

As someone who has blogged and has worked with several successful bloggers, I'd argue that he has time to write the blog he does while traveling and investing abroad. His posts really aren't that in-depth. Most of the time he's just answering reader's questions based off his personal knowledge and experience.

Roosh doesn't spend all his time blogging. Also check out Chris Guillebeau - another guy that travels A LOT and still writes a blog and now a book.

I know nothing about Doug Casey or Casey Research so I can't argue your point there. Although the product I bought from them and Sovereign Man together was solid.

I have a personal friend who works with Simon and he's told me he's the real deal as far as lifestyle goes. (Is it a front? Maybe, I don't know for sure.)

All in all, I've received tremendous value from his blog and writing so I can't complain. He appears to be providing a service to people who want it.

And sh*t, his stuff is just COOL.

It would be funny if Simon Black turned out to be Neil Strauss. It would also be funny if he was David DeAngelo/Eben Pagan, as this would be his third alter ego in the online business world.

I'm also a bit confused as to why he would need to monetize a wordpress blog if he is really as successful as he says he is. However, if I'm ever rolling in shitloads of dough I suppose I'd still want to be helping people out, so why not, right? Mayor Bloomberg takes a 1 dollar salary to be mayor of New York. Simon Black might be doing the monetizing thing so that he can weed out people who are unlikely to commit to whatever he's got planned, I know he was talking about setting up sustainable off-the-grid communities in Panama. Cool idea, but I wouldnt want to do something like that with a bunch of people I didn't know or trust.

Anyway, to get back onto the OP's topic, here is a good site that compares business across Asia:

http://www.business-in-asia.com/

Trends in general that you will find across Asia is that relationships/networks play a bigger role here than they would in the West. The culture of "face" is very important and can make Asian businesspeople do things that seem completely irrational by western minds.

I suggest you read this blog if you want to learn about how to do business in China:

http://www.chinalawblog.com/2010/07/ten_...iness.html

I get daily google alerts for the following items:

-China
-South Korea
-Indonesia
-Mongolia
-Cambodia
-Vietnam
-Singapore
-Thailand
-BRIC
-Frontier Markets

Google alerts are a great way to get daily updates on what is happening in countries of your interest.

Quote: (11-04-2010 01:15 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

I'm looking at registering a business in South East Asia and so far, the places I have in mind to do that on top of opening a business bank account are:
a) Hong Kong
b) Singapore
c) Taiwan

Which one is the best to open and register a business? Best in terms of ease of opening the business, speed of opening/registering the biz in # of days and in terms of restrictions and tax benefits? and also where has the lowest fee for opening/registering a biz and lowest banking fees? Anyone in here with first hand experience of opening/registering a biz in SEA?

Much appreciated for sharing any first hand experience and or tips to where to look for more info.

Thanks guys.

I only know 1 person with experience. My buddy Tyrone Jenkins from NYC lives in Singapore. He has a new baby and wife. He's around 55 and just had his FIRST kid with a 32 yr. old Asian. He has a house in Singapore and LA. He's my inspiration.

He's rolling, his business did $5M last year and he only worked 15 minutes a day! Here's his company website: http://www.breezeglobal.com/. I think he sells like $15K camera lenses throughout Asia.

He has had his clients for years so he told me all he did was basically take orders..... he's a Sufi, very spiritual, asian religion type of guy.

Quote: (11-05-2010 03:25 AM)subutai Wrote:  

Because there is a sucker born every minute. Even if 1/10 of them would buy it from him, it would be enough to continue his jetting-off lifestyle.

Don't also forget tax purposes - it is much easier to jet when Uncle Sam pays 40% of your expenses through tax deductions.

I don't actually think you COULD register your business in Taiwan. I live in the R.O.C. right now and it's pretty difficult for a foreigner to set up shop here as a corporation based in Taiwan. I've looked into it and determined it would be best to get a silent partner or friend from Taiwan to register everything and just pay him and run my business as an entity owned by him.... but no one in their right mind would want to do that.

Taiwan also apparently has some weird rules about who you can hire and how you can do it. For instance, one of my Taiwanese friends said she COULD NOT work from home, legally, in this country, because of labor regulations.... even though her job doesn't really need her to be present at all. When she is "on the clock" and doing business in Japan, it's all under the table.

On the other hand, you can get anything you want "under the table" here. You could definitely live here and register as a "student" while you pay a bogus Chinese Language academy (or a legit one, if you actually wanted to learn the language).... No extradition treaties with the U.S., as a recent case made clear, where a corporation in Taiwan refused to pay fines in the U.S. but sent a representative to try to clear things up and they wouldn't let the representative come home because there aren't extradition treaties and they wouldn't be able to get anyone stateside again.

What's the deal in Singapore? How hard is it to set up a corporation there? I'd love to do it, to get out from under U.S. tax rules.

Anyways, I'm curious about this.....

--Funky

Hong Kong is good if you do business in China or HK [Image: smile.gif]

I'm going to incorporate my biz in Singapore. I'll be in Thailand anyway so it's a short flight away.

No question in my mind that SG is the place to be.

Quote: (05-20-2011 04:32 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

I'm going to incorporate my biz in Singapore. I'll be in Thailand anyway so it's a short flight away.

It depends what the purpose of your company is... I own both Singapore as well as HK constructions. The thing is that if your main purpose is to transfer money out of sight, then a HK construction would be the way to go. It's much easier to add another company (even blacklisted) and invoice/transfer money without any questions asked.

However, if the purpose is to build a stable and solid reputation and future wise maybe get some investors in, Singapore would be a good choice.

Quote: (05-20-2011 05:24 AM)GiovanniRio Wrote:  

Quote: (05-20-2011 04:32 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

It depends what the purpose of your company is... I own both Singapore as well as HK constructions. The thing is that if your main purpose is to transfer money out of sight, then a HK construction would be the way to go. It's much easier to add another company (even blacklisted) and invoice/transfer money without any questions asked.

However, if the purpose is to build a stable and solid reputation and future wise maybe get some investors in, Singapore would be a good choice.

Exactly, no tax evasion or money manipulation here. Just want to build a solid reputable business.

then singapore

also if you are economically sound you can get a residence permit quite easy

I never been to Singapore yet but I have a strong feeling I would like this place alot... beautiful asian girls, alot of english speakers, good weather... Hmmm

VP - Simon Black did not register his company in Singapore. He registered it in the Marshall Islands and banks out of Singapore.

Singapore is a wonderful jurisdiction but there are significant reporting requirements that can be costly.

PM me and I can give you more info.

Incorporate in Singapore, and operate out of a PEZA zone in the Philippines. 0% taxes more or less if you do biz outside the Phils. Skip Singapore if you want, as well. Have met with attorneys in Phils personally about this.

Quote: (05-30-2011 07:05 AM)Lief Wrote:  

VP - Simon Black did not register his company in Singapore. He registered it in the Marshall Islands and banks out of Singapore.

Singapore is a wonderful jurisdiction but there are significant reporting requirements that can be costly.

PM me and I can give you more info.

Lief,
I tried pming you but it says your PM option hasn't been enabled....I'd love any tips/suggestions on that from someone who's already done it. So can you PM please?

Cheers man.

VP - I'll look into the PMing issue and contact you now.

My best place to register a business would be Kathmandu, I would be very happy to invest in hydro power since the country is lacking electricity at the moment when we talk about investing money it should be done in the right place at the right time. There are not to many fulfillment companies in Kathmandu and it obvious that country can face a very critical economic situation in coming years. If we invest and are able to come up with the different strategy then we can create very heavy amount of electricity and will also be able to cell in other countries. Though I would like to hear some more feed backs and would take it as a suggestion for future. As Singapore and many different cities are already developed I would give importance to a country where the number of investors are low.