rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Ukraine Data: Summer 2013

I've been to poosy paradise (Ukraine) twice, once in 2008 (pre red pill) as well as this summer.

Here is what I've learned:

Reference:
Young Ukrainians = born after fall of USSR
Old Ukrainians: born in USSR

Getting in:

There are many flights to Kiev. I flew with Austrian Airlines out of Vienna. The plane was packed with rich Ukrainians and Ukrainian expats. This might be a better gaming opportunity than flying Lufthansa.

You can also take a train. Don't take the train if you don't know any Russian or what the fuck you are doing. I speak from experience. I took the train from Berlin in 2008 and got kicked off in Lviv because I did not understand the bribe system. If it wasn't for an awesome Ukrainian, a Belorussian, and a 8+ Moscow chick, I'd probably be in a ditch near the Polish border.
The main train to EU runs from Berlin -- > Krakow -- > Warsaw --> Lviv --> Kiev Pass

The train is blue and a piece of shit. You can't miss it sitting next to modern Deutsche Bahn trains. They only served tea and crackers and the toilets were just holes onto the track. In hindsight, getting on and off this train would be a great way to see Poland and Ukraine if you speak some Polish or Russian.

Getting out:

The same way you got in unless something terrible happened.

The Country:

Ukraine is a divided and dysfunctional country. People in the western half of Ukraine speak Ukrainian and feel "European" — whatever the hell that means. They are more likely to support joining the EU, although most Ukrainians are quite honest by saying that their country's infrastructure will never be on the same level as Western Europe. Lviv, a beautiful city, is the cultural capital of the Kiev Rus, a ethnic/cultural group that controlled much of Eastern Europe during the Middle Ages. The Kiev Rus dominated Ukraine and much of Russia, outshining Moscovites for centuries. When economic and military power shifted to Moscow, Russia took control of Ukraine and Ukrainian culture declined.

Eastern Ukraine is more Russian. The first language for most people is Russian. People identify with the policies of Moscow and Putin more than their western comrades. Eastern Ukraine is also much more of an industrial shithole than the west.

Kiev, the capital, is a split city where both Russian and Ukrainian are spoken and often mixed together. The signage is in Ukrainian.

The People:

Ukrainians are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. A Ukrainian friend will give you the shirt off his back. I can't count how many huge favors I owe over there to people who didn't think it was a big deal at all.

Ukrainians can be icy at first, especially in a Street Approach setting. This is in part because of their recent history as part of the USSR. People will be suspicious of someone approaching them just to shoot the shit, especially in English or poor Russian. You may get matter-of-fact answer to "pet shop" type questions although these openers will work well on young Ukrainians who speak some English and are interested in traveling or living in the West.

I have to disagree with Roosh on Ukrainians wanting to stay in Ukraine. Most of the people I met wanted to leave Ukraine. Most mentioned NYC which has a large Ukrainian diaspora. California and Miami were also popular. Canada was surprisingly popular. I would always say, "Canada? WTF?" haha. Inside of Europe, most Ukrainians wanted to live in London.

That said, most of the Ukrainians I met had experienced the USA through J1 Work-Study visas. The English groupies wanted to tell me about their year in Indiana, Wisconsin, Maine, Wyoming, etc...sell the dream....

Ukrainian men will ask you what you think about their women. I recommend being completely honest and telling them that they are beautiful. They will smile and thank you. They will tell you that is the only thing going for them in their country. They will offer to find you a wife. If you know the person at all or through social circles, the offer is not a scam. They aren't making a commission. The men will literally call the girl in the apartment upstairs or their cousin to come and meet you.

In my experience, western Ukrainians generally like Americans and the USA. They like a country that projects strength (debatable) and gives Russia shit every once in a while.

The Women:

I unfortunately didn't get as much time with the women as I would have liked but here is what I know:

The problem with meeting Ukrainian women through social circles is that they are looking for a very serious relationship. They are less likely to resource mine you because it would be embarrassing if it got back to your contact. On the flip side, if you spit bad game and try to isolate they will report you to your contact.

If a Ukrainian woman maintains eye contact with you for longer than three seconds, you should approach no matter what.

If a Ukrainian woman claims she doesn't speak English, there are several possibilities:
1) She doesn't speak English. Time to fuck off or speak Russian.
2) She isn't confident in her language ability. Reassure her that you understand her, even if you don't. If she continues to try, the odds are that you will understand and that the conversation will smooth out after a minute or two.
3) She speaks English but isn't sure if she wants to speak with you. Stand your ground. Always stand your ground and keep talking!!!

The Men:

No homo. This all relates back to your game.

Outside of the clubs and bars, young Ukrainian men will generally react positively to the idea of you getting with a Ukrainian women. There were a few times I was this close to just saying, "Yeah, so I read this book called Bang Ukraine on the airplane. I want to rail as many fine young Ukrainian women as possible." Some of the men would have given you a high five and said game on!

Older Ukrainian men will not like the idea of you coming to country to take their most valuable resource. These people did not grow up in a globalized world with an international economy. They were taught in school that NATO members, led by the United States, were enemies to the cause.

One thing that concerned me was that most young Ukrainians asked me if anyone had accosted me yet while I was in Ukraine. At first I thought they meant something like yelling "Fuck USA" from across the street but I realized they definitely meant something more physical. During my time there I did not have a single incident of hostility. That said, I did not try to walk unlit streets while drunk like an English teacher I worked with. The first time he did this he was stalked for a couple hundred yards until he gave the man money ($5-8). The second time, he was headbutted by a drunk Ukrainian man. So don't be fucking stupid.

Ukrainian men run caveman game.

To Do in Kiev:

Go to the Perchersk Lavra. One of the oldest and holiest sites in Orthodox Christianity. It is still an active monastery so be respectful. Men need to remove their hats. Women need to wear a scarf over their head.

There is a crypt in an huge underground cavern. There are two ways to get in:
1) Towards the top of the hill there is an entrance where an English-speaking guide will offer to take you (with a bunch of other Americans/Brits) for a fee.

2) At the bottom of the hill there is an entrance that is free to enter. There will be a long line. You pay about 20 cents for a candle to help you see while inside. There are monks and attendants to make sure you find your way. The mummies are saints and tradition states that the remains of saints do not decompose like a normal corpse. These corpses look life-like. There is one where the hand is extended toward the viewing glass — freaky shit.

Sidebar: Told a feminist coworker about this crypt. When I told her she needed a headscarf, she went on a rant about how Orthodox believe that a woman should cover her head so that God doesn't see her small brain.
Sven: "That's right. Now do you want to see some zombies or not?"

Statue to the Motherland
A huge titanium statue of a woman (mother Russia) holding a sword and shield in the direction of Germany. It's basically saying, "Don't fuck with me." Kiev was invaded by the Nazis in WW2 and is considered a "Hero City" of the USSR for its resistance. You can see the statue from the Metro, especially when you cross the Dnipro River. It's basically a huge war museum.

Soviet Air Museum
This is basically a huge park with a bunch of old Soviet military aircraft parked inside. It is next to Zhulyany Airport. If you're into MiGs and jet fighters, go here. The info signs are in Russian and English. There is a comprehensive book about the park in English at the gift shop. If you pay more ($1-2) at the entrance you can climb the stairs into what amounts to an old Russian 747. Not that exciting.

Khreshchatyk Street
Times Square of Kiev. Great place to people watch (as told to me by a Ukrainian friend). Probably a good place to Day Game. On the weekends they close the road next to it so you can walk down that, too. If you need help with an Apple product or something specific to an American franchise, go here.

Andriyivsky Uzviz - Andrew's Descent

This is the tourist flea market. It's right next to St. Andrew's cathedral which is beautiful and has a great view of the city.

As far as the market goes, the vendors won't negotiate very much on the prices. They know you're from the West. I even had one guy say, "That's a difference of five dollars, that's nothing for you. I won't go lower." There are some good deals but a lot of outrageous stuff. I wanted a Hard Rock Cafe Chernobyl t-shirt. It was $30-40...wtf? Deck of cards, $5, Soviet Navy Hat $25, Decent knife $3, decorated coffee mug, $3.

Last Thoughts:

Always ask the price of a taxi fare before you close the cab door. A friend that spoke Russian asked a cabby about 50 feet away. He couldn't go with me so when I got in and asked the cabby the price jumped $5. Called him on his shit, gave me the price he quoted my friend.

Separate occasion, asked the cabby while on the way. He ignored me and when we got to the airport it turned into the most expensive three miles in history. Freaked the fuck out, told him I was broke and that I knew he ignored me earlier — got a decent rate worked out.

If they pretend not to understand you, just say "Skolka" (How much?) Have them write a number down on the newspaper they are no doubt reading while waiting for a customer.

Corruption is rife.

Ukraine is actually not far from some African countries on a corruption index. As a western tourist, you probably won't be harassed by the police if you're minding your own business. They generally don't speak English which makes getting the bribe harder. It's much easier for them to screw other Ukrainians over.

If they give you shit, offer to call your Ukrainian friend so that he can translate for them. A good Ukrainian will them to fuck off and tell you what to say next. After that, offer to call the embassy.

Ukrainians hate the police. They flash their headlights at each other to signal a cop up ahead. Why don't we do this in USA?

Ukrainians don't wear seat belts.

Ukrainians are deathly afraid of drafts from open windows.

Ukrainians are great cooks but it takes time to adjust to their food. Vegetarians will have a hard time. They will probably think you're a pussy. So do I.

The most important thing I can tell you about Ukraine is this:

Bring your own toilet paper. No seriously, bring your own or you will get caught with your pants down leaning over a squat toilet or hole in the ground.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Great info here, thanks! Do you know anything about taking the bus into Ukraine? I'm going to Krakow in the spring and I saw that there's a daily bus that goes to L'viv.

Quote: (10-18-2013 12:18 AM)svenski7 Wrote:  

As a western tourist, you probably won't be harassed by the police if you're minding your own business

And if you are NOT minding your own business in Ukraine, you won't have trouble with the police, who don't care. But, you'll have trouble with other people. Local, serious people.

But anyway, if you just travel around, enjoying this beautiful country and its often gorgeous girls, you'll be perfectly all right. Just, don't make enemies in Ukraine, male or female actually.

If you foolishly do, take a plane out. Or a train, if you can bear it.

Awesome data sheet, thanks for the info.

Quote: (10-18-2013 12:18 AM)svenski7 Wrote:  

Ukrainians hate the police. They flash their headlights at each other to signal a cop up ahead. Why don't we do this in USA?

But IDK where you are from in the US, but where I live we do this.

Continued...

Metro:

There are three subway (Metro) routes in the capital, Kiev. Maps of the routes with each stop can be found inside of each train. Additionally, the routes are painted onto the wall behind where the train arrives. So if you are standing at the ledge and the train is not there, you are basically staring at a route map. These diagrams will show the current station you are at in yellow.

Many trains have TV monitors inside with some kind of entertainment on them. As you approach a station, the TV monitor will show the name of the station in Ukrainian and then transliterate it into English. This is helpful if you cannot understand the verbal announcement.

To ride the metro, you must purchase little plastic chips for 2 Hyrivna (25 cents) a pop. You can either buy these at machines that take bills and spit them out or at the ticketing window (my preference). There are usually one or two women sitting on the other side of the window with stacks of these chips taking money and handing them out. I would go INSANE doing that job. Just hand them the money and indicate how many chips you want.

There are gates setup at the entrance to the metro that take your chip. Insert the chip and a light will turn from red to green. Proceed.

Warning: There are some stations where the gates have nothing physically stopping you from walking in. If you try to enter without first depositing the chip, bars inside the gate will extend, snapping the gate shut. The bars will slap you right in the nuts and your gaming days will be over.

If you have a suitcase, you have to buy two chips, one for you and one for the suitcase.

You can ride around in the metro as long as you want for one chip. Once you leave a station, you will need another chip to reenter.

People will probably look at you in the Metro. They will realize that you are not Ukrainian. I was not approached or asked any questions.

You are expected to give your seat to little old ladies and you will see most men showing deference. If you feel like you need to get up, just get up. Don't say, "Would you like my seat?" in English. Remember, the people you are giving your seat to are the people most likely to have a negative view of westerners and not speak English.

The metro closes at 3:30 a.m.

Buses:

There are local buses that can take you from town to town or around Kiev. They are usually an ugly orange color. They have the number posted in the window and the price (which will be posted above the driver) is generally 2 Hrivna and 50 Kopecs. You can ride shotgun with the driver or take a seat in the back. These buses, like the metro, are usually carrying twice as many people as they should. The driver usually has some sort of carpet behind where he sits. You throw your money on the mat and the driver will grab a wad of money from up on the dashboard and give you your change. The drivers drive with one hand (holding a cell phone) and provide change or smoke a cigarette with the other.

I found that Google Maps works well giving you the times and routes to get from point A to point B.

If you are on a bus from one town to the next, you will either pay just before the driver starts driving or somewhere down the road. A few times the driver started and then stopped 20 minutes later at a pull off, got up and collected the fare which made me wonder what he would do if someone didn't pay.

I traveled on one of these buses from a town about an hour and a half away from Kiev for 50 Hyrivna. The buses get hot and there is no air conditioning. The buses are in poor shape but didn't break down while I was there. The drivers were aggressive and weave in and out of lanes to pass. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. If it is raining try not to sit next to window as sometimes the seal around the window leaks and you get wet. I literally wore a raincoat on one bus ride.

Cell Phones:

Ukrainian cell phones run on GSM networks. The two major networks are Kyivstar and life ; )

You can either bring an unlocked GSM phone or buy one there.

Each text or talking minute is approximately 10 kopecs (2 cents)

You can buy credit for the phone at street kiosks or at your provider's outlet stores. If you buy from a street vendor you will be charged 2 Hyrivna in commission. Also, the people who work at the kiosks don't speak English and are usually unfriendly (first mentioned to me by a Ukrainian). This is another bullshit job that would be depressing.

When you purchase credit, you get a code that you must text to the provider. The provider texts back your new balance. If you purchase credit at the provider's store, you don't pay a commission.

You can also get a prepaid SIM that provides 2G internet for a flat daily rate. I think Kyivstar charged me 1.19/day. Micro SIMs are available so you can use prepaid SIMs in your iPhone.

Money:

Ukraine is cash-based society.

Don't expect to be able to use credit cards anywhere. I wouldn't recommend using credit even if you could.

I brought a couple hundred dollars in local currency with a hundred dollars US to help in case I got in a bind.

Ukrainians want US dollars. The exchange rate is pegged by the government and every few years it changes — causing people to lose a significant portion of their savings.

If you need to exchange money, you will need to bring your passport with you. Currency exchange is monitored and recorded by the Ukrainian government.

Debit cards will work well at ATMs as long as your bank doesn't cockblock you. I used one debit card for almost two months before my bank decided that my activity in Ukraine was suspicious. This is where my dollars in the back of my wallet saved my ass. I also feel that the risk of identity theft from ATM use is low. Ukrainians told me just to go to the banks that looked most legit (no shit). Every once in a while a fly-by-night bank with a cheesy name like "Easy Bank" will appear. Avoid them.

There are European banks like Bank of Cyprus (lol) and Santander (Spain). Although their respective countries are bankrupt, their ATMs still spit out money and probably won't steal your identity.

A huge Ukrainian bank is PrivatBank. Someone told me that this bank was organized through the pension of former police officers. The former police officers front the money and if you default on a loan, they send the current police force to threaten you. Interesting story. Their ATMs work fine and you won't "owe" them anything.

Any decent US bank or credit union should only charge you a 1% foreign transaction fee for removing money abroad. Check with them when you tell them you will be traveling abroad.

Kopecs are useless. They are like pennies. Nobody wants them. When you buy something at the grocery store, the cashier will usually hit you up for the exact amount so that they don't have to give you a bunch of kopecs. I never remembered to bring them with me so I always got a bunch more...

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Risk of identity theft in Kiev from ATM exists.It happened to me.Sb made a transaction in Moscow the next day using my data.Fortunately I had few money left in the card.
Metro is really dangerous if you are good dressed and look foreigner there are thieves there who will try to rob you.(usually one gets in front of you to block you once you enter the door and another one behind you searches your pockets while you cannot move sandwiched between the two).With marshutka you save money it is rather cheap compared to taxis but there is no girl who will accept a marshutka ride except she intends to marry you.
Ukrainians paradoxically value US dollars more than euros.If you have euros convert them before you go there to US dollars and you will see your expenses reduced.Maybe it is a cold war remnant when US dollar was considered hard currency and euro was unknown.
Mobile telephon calls are rather cheap maybe the cheapest in Europe.You can call abroad and talk for hours with very little charge(almost as VOIP call rate).

In genral the centre of Kiev is full of thieves and scammers who search for you as you search for the girls.They constantly watch you on every move.You need to disappear from time to time and always be careful who comes from your back or who tries to talk to you.

I can confirm just about everything in this thread so far is true.

A common trick taxi drivers use is to not give change.For example you have negotiated a ride for 40 grivnyas you give him 50 and he says I have no 10 grivnyas to give you back.So you leave him 50 because you cannot get out in the cold searching for change.
Another common trick is to overcharge you if you do not know exactly the place you are going.In one case I paid almost 10 euro for a 200 m route.It was ridiculous as the driver turned back and left me almost to the same place.You should always choose the old Lada taxis as they are the cheapest ones(apart from being the dirtiest) and almost always older Ukrainians drive them.
To avoid exaggerated taxi expenses tell the girl to call a taxi for you.They can get mass discounts especially when they call taxi drivers they already know as friends to who they make favour.

Never use the taxis parked outside the expensive clubs.They will try to rip you off 100%.Just walk 100 m away and get the next ones parked on side of the street preferably the LADAs.By negotiation you should know the common prices.For example the route from the airport can be negotiated down to 120 grivnya but as newbie in Ukraine you will not manage to get it under 200 grivnya(mot pay even 300 grivyna).You should know how much the taxi costs once you cross the river and how much when you stay at the same side of the city.You should also know the adress of your apartment since streets outside Kreshatik can be really weird and taxi drivers do not know them all.

Also if you let a girl negotiate a pirate taxi(common cars passing by which you can always stop for a ride) she can get a big discount.Taxi fares are among the most unjustifiable expenses in Ukraine and a pain in the neck(though needed as most clubs are not in walking distance).
Some taxi drivers offer their cards to use them as personal chauffeurs everytime you need them.The good thing with taxis in Ukraine is the drivers always know the best clubs and where the girls are so they get you to the right places.The other good is that you can finger a girl in the taxi without the driver raising any objection they generally keep cool.

As for toilet paper truly does not exist however it is better to buy some handkerchieves before you go to club than enter with toilet paper in hand.Girls always ask for cigarettes and drinks from kiosk so you can get handkerchieves as well for the case the inevitable happens.Ukrainian women do not ask for condoms like Russian do(they ask in less than 20%) so if you are a raw dogger and a fan of STDs you do not have to worry.Otherwise you have to buy condoms from kiosk or apteka especially if the girl appears rather slutty.However in the last case most victims have already condoms in their bags before they enter the club.They want to save themselves of course but they save you as well.
In clubs you will get ripped off as a foreignr when buying drinks it is almost inevitable.There is no way to avoid since girls order and you cannot really control the prices.If you feel getting drunk or dizzy after a few drinks leave immediately because the dangers will be multiplied.

Some Thoughts on Language:

Ukrainian and Russian are both Slavic languages and are very similar. The difference resembles that between Danish and German or Norwegian and Swedish — many of the words are direct cognates. Ukrainian is also closely related to the Polish language because of centuries of Polish influence in Western Ukraine.

Currently, the official language of Ukraine is Ukrainian.

There have been many recent attempts to add Russian as an official language of equal status. This is usually proposed by Eastern Ukrainian politicians who consider themselves ethnically Russian. Western Ukrainians strongly oppose any change.

The paradox is that about 52% of the country actually speaks Russian as their first language. Regardless, most people can fluently speak both languages.

If you are interested in learning a language for travel in Ukraine and EE, you should be learning Russian. I only had one Ukrainian take slight offense to the idea that I would practice Russian instead of Ukrainian while in his country. He then tried to convince a security guard to let me in the National University (a beautiful bright red building) so he couldn't have been that upset.

If for some reason you learn Ukrainian, you should understand the trade off. Knowing Ukrainian as a Westerner would obviously be more exotic than knowing Russian. In Western Ukraine (Lviv) it would DHV. There is a strong possibility that Russians will not understand your Ukrainian. They sure as hell don't study Ukrainian in school.

Alternatively, the linguistic barrier with Poles might be slightly lower. Realistically, these language are so difficult for an Anglophone that learning one to be "exotic" is absolutely ridiculous. How many Anglophones do you know that have learned either language to a conversational ability?

Visas:

US citizens don't need a visa to enter Ukraine as a tourist. Similar to the EU, you have 90 days upon entry. I did not stay over 90 days but I have the feeling that if I did, nobody would have cared. It is possible to make border runs to Poland or Russia to avoid the 90-day rule. Roosh blogs about taking the bus to Poland which is what I would recommend.

Because US citizens need a visa to travel to Russia, a border run isn't possible unless you already have your entry visa for Russia. From what I understand about Russian visas, you are also asked to specify when and where you will be. This disqualifies Russia as a border run weekend trip unless it was already in your plans.

the peer review system
put both
Socrates and Jesus
to death
-GBFM

Realistically many western Ukrainians understand polish and do business with Poles.I have never heard of any foreigner learning Ukrainian.In eastern Ukraine and Crimea the people do not even understand Ukrainian. All this is already written before.
The Poles are considered masters of the universe in western Ukraine as in Belarus.They enter usually loaded for the Ukrainian standards and give serious fuckings to Ukrainki.Western Ukrainians hate Russians and regard themselves as true Russians. They are afraid of Poles because they "stole" their land and maybe one day the Poles will come back to claim the properties.Galicia was always the poorest region of Europe and the girls from there quite famous for their appearance,delicacy and connoisseurisms in Austrohungary,Poland and Russian Empire.A really historical place thirsty for Balkan dick.Just kidding.
Anyway you will spend there always less than in Poland and get more.

Ukrainian clubs look like this.

Slavic heaven.