rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

East Village/NYC - Cheaper places to eat and drink please?

Hi all,

Spending a few months in Manhattan, living in the East Village. Fun place but damn everything is so much more pricey than Chi city!

Anyways, would love some recommendations on cool, cheaper places to eat and drink in the area or Manhattan as a whole?

Any good happy hours/specials appreciated too!

Gracias!

Continental. 5 shots $10. It's not classy, but I've had some fun nights there.

Go for a walk and you'll find cheap eats everywhere. EV is NYU land so it shouldn't be hard.

LES is pretty cheap man. I mean they got $1 dollar pizza and a papaya hot dog stand has to be around there. Not to mention the rest of the junk/fast food franchises that are basically everywhere in NYC.

As for cheap happy hour. Basically they are all the same $4 well drinks and beers.

With all that said I would head to St Marks place. There are a ton of college bars and quasi restaurants to eat at (pretty good halal places mostly) that are reasonably priced.

Kenka on St Mark's is a pretty cheap izakaya spot. The food is OK, not great, but cheap and they have $1.50 Sapporo drafts.

Sushi Lounge on St Marks and Avenue A gives you half off your sushi if you order $16 dollars or more. I have had insane feasts there

If you're on a tight budget in NYC you should be macking on the student crowd. The good news is that the East Village is a student hotspot!

Get yourself a burrito at Downtown Bakery - it's legit, and cheap - http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/downtown-bakery-new-york

There's a cheap falafel spot on St Mark's, something like two pittas for $5.

Opposite the Ukrainian church there's a basement that serves really cheap borscht and other Ukrainian specialties a few nights a week. It's served up by cheerful old Ukrainian ladies. It's called Streecha I think.

East Village is dive bar central. Plenty of cheap bars catering to the college crowd. I was off my head last time I went there, but the 13th Step on 2nd around 9th is often buzzing. They do promotions such as $1 for a beer on certain nights. Don't remember much about the crowd. There are similar places along St Mark's, often with plenty of students. Not the best talent though.

A short walk to the West you have the Fat Cat - again cheap beers and plenty of NYU college crowd action - http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/fat-cat-new-york-2

For a more clubby vibe there's Lit Lounge on 2nd ave between 5th and 6th. Plenty of fashion girls and model types come here and it's not too expensive - http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/lit-lounge-new-york

For top talent (as of a couple of years ago at least) hit up the Blind Barber on 10th between A and B. It's a speakeasy but cheaper and less pretentious than most (read: Crif Dogs / PDT, also in the EV but expensive). Entrance is through a barber shop but it's obvious that there's club action going on there. Entry is free, but they sometimes run a tight ship on the door so be well-dressed and don't roll with a group of guys.

If you're really on a budget why not pregame at home and then go easy on buying drinks. You'll get better mileage than restricting yourself to only places with cheap drinks. Check out my NY datasheet.

Only bad thing about the EV is that you can go out every night till 5am easily. Half the fun of that part of town is walking around, exploring, talking to people and getting their tips.

And once you've done the rounds drop us an East Village datasheet!!

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Quote: (10-15-2013 08:49 PM)Jbk Wrote:  

Hi all,

Spending a few months in Manhattan, living in the East Village. Fun place but damn everything is so much more pricey than Chi city!

Anyways, would love some recommendations on cool, cheaper places to eat and drink in the area or Manhattan as a whole?

Gracias!

Hey man I'm the king of East Village happy hours so happy to help haha...

One of the all time best is Key Bar on 13th btw 1st and A. 241 till 10pm every night, and all night on Sunday and Monday. Pretty sweet.

Drop Off Service on 13th and A has $3 20oz drafts till 8pm every night.

And yes as MD said, Continental is hard to beat for getting wasted on the cheap with $10 for 5 shots of most liquors.

Boxcar Lounge also has 241 till 10pm most nights. Not a lot of ladies though.

Cheap with chicks would probably be Central Bar and Solas. About as good as it gets for college girls and $6 beers $7-$8 wells at night.

Hope that helps.

Quote: (10-15-2013 08:49 PM)Jbk Wrote:  

Hi all,

Gracias!

Mamoun's on St Mark's. Falafel sandwiches for about 4 bucks

- "Poco" on 3rd street and B offered unlimited drinks with its brunch menu. The menu actually stated "3" drinks, but the waiters all just gave unlimited. Hope this is still going on, def check it out once the weather is nicer.

I always wondered on Sunday afternoons how many people walking around are actually blitzed from brunch...

- Yoga to the People on St. Marks.

Donation-based yoga spot. Game on.

- Taco stand on 2nd and 2nd. Doesn't get poppin till about 3am.

- Vanessa's dumplings. 4 dumplings for $1.

Quote: (01-14-2014 01:04 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

- "Poco" on 3rd street and B offered unlimited drinks with its brunch menu. The menu actually stated "3" drinks, but the waiters all just gave unlimited. Hope this is still going on, def check it out once the weather is nicer.

I always wondered on Sunday afternoons how many people walking around are actually blitzed from brunch...

Thanks for the tip. I will be in town this week. Any suggestions for the NFL playoff's on Sunday ?

I'm looking for a decent place that don't break the bank.

13th Step for sure. 1/2 all beer. Can't beat that.

Quote: (01-14-2014 01:09 PM)rishboy77 Wrote:  

Quote: (01-14-2014 01:04 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Thanks for the tip. I will be in town this week. Any suggestions for the NFL playoff's on Sunday ?

I'm looking for a decent place that don't break the bank.

One of my friends is a member on here he knows lots of good places to eat...
- Continental has the 5 shots for $10 which is awesome
- Klong has these yummy squid and awesome sauce for about $3.50

As for nightlife, IMO as a new yorker everything is walkable so assuming you have no problem walking. I'm assuming you prefer more "hipster/student" vibe more than anything so.
- Lit Lounge (as already mentioned)
- DL (near delancy)
- Southside (soho area)
- Stanton Social on Mondays (I'm not sure if this event still occurs but lots of promoters used to hang there and do dinner before partying on mondays)

Hey all this is close to an EV datasheet as I could find, gonna be in town trying to bang a chick I met a few months back in Montauk.

It will be this Thursday night around 10pm.

What the best place in EV that will inspire a girl to drink heavily and get in hook up mood on a first date?

Dancing and shots while semi-loud should do the trick.

She is 29yo finance VP chick looking to let off steam and get laid..

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

Bumping one time incase anyone has info.

Or

Quote: (11-03-2014 02:08 PM)Travesty444 Wrote:  

What the best place in EV that will inspire a girl to drink heavily and get in hook up mood on a first date?

There is no Spring Break in Manhattan.

WIA

^ Dream killer.

This is probably why I live in Santa Barbara.

The Montauk bar, The Sloppy Tuna, where we met at was like Spring Break. Too bad Manhattan doesn't offer this.

Or

You can try 13th Step. It's a fratty atmosphere though not sure about the dance floor. Here is there special for Thursday:

THURSDAY 8PM til CLOSE
$8 & $12 PITCHERS
$4 MIXED DRINKS

Alternatively if you go into the Village by Thompson/Bleeker there are hoards of bars the college kids hit up with cheap drinks.

For dates, The East Village/AlphabetCity has a boom of newer, fantastic cocktail bars. But be careful, more than a few will have you on your ass along with your date.

My go to, to meet a chick from that neighborhood;
Pouring Ribbons

Other go tos;
Dream Baby Bar
Louis 649
Amor Amargo

Overall the EV has a really young vibe, I sort of outgrew it as a teenager. The cocktail bars are a newer addition but some of the best in the city. Its really the heart of the cocktail scene in the city.

Quote: (11-04-2014 08:40 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

For dates, The East Village/AlphabetCity has a boom of newer, fantastic cocktail bars. But be careful, more than a few will have you on your ass along with your date.

My go to, to meet a chick from that neighborhood;
Pouring Ribbons

Other go tos;
Dream Baby Bar
Louis 649
Amor Amargo

Overall the EV has a really young vibe, I sort of outgrew it as a teenager. The cocktail bars are a newer addition but some of the best in the city. Its really the heart of the cocktail scene in the city.

Good picks. I would add an Ave C tour:
The Third Man (cocktails)
-bounce to-
Summit Bar (stronger cocktails)
-bounce to-
STUDIO 151 or Babel (dancing and shots)
or
Evelyn or Wayland (more cocktails)

Having the evening on Ave C gives her culpable deniability about taking a cab home with you at the end of the evening.

Quote: (11-04-2014 02:04 PM)slubu Wrote:  

You can try 13th Step. It's a fratty atmosphere though not sure about the dance floor. Here is there special for Thursday:

THURSDAY 8PM til CLOSE
$8 & $12 PITCHERS
$4 MIXED DRINKS

Alternatively if you go into the Village by Thompson/Bleeker there are hoards of bars the college kids hit up with cheap drinks.

13th Step!

[Image: laugh6.gif]

Head over to Continental after. You may bang her, but I guarantee you won't remember doing it.

Edit: I just noticed I mentioned Continental over a year ago in this thread.

Thanks guys appreciate the options I have plenty now. She lives in the EV and I am going to try to pull her back to her place rather than my hotel in UWS (outta my control). She glibly mentioned she lives in EV "the cool part of town" after responding to me staying in the UWS haha.

Or

Quote: (11-05-2014 11:37 AM)Travesty444 Wrote:  

Thanks guys appreciate the options I have plenty now. She lives in the EV and I am going to try to pull her back to her place rather than my hotel in UWS (outta my control). She glibly mentioned she lives in EV "the cool part of town" after responding to me staying in the UWS haha.

if you wind up in the UWS, Shalel is a great panty dropping under ground wine bar good for making out.

Awesome I have Thursday night set up with her in EV. She has Friday open too so if I don't close or want a repeat bang I can shift her to the UWS if I want.

Or

Quote: (11-05-2014 04:21 PM)Travesty444 Wrote:  

Awesome I have Thursday night set up with her in EV. She has Friday open too so if I don't close or want a repeat bang I can shift her to the UWS if I want.

How did it go???

If you're living in or around the East Village, you should read this blog:

http://evgrieve.com/