rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Yoga & Martial Arts

Yoga & Martial Arts

Is anyone practicing a yoga or martial art style that has been really effective in improving your overall fitness and peace of mind?

If so, please post links to resources that provide more information on that particular style.

Yoga & Martial Arts

I've seen martial artists do yoga stretches. Don't know how much good it does.

Yoga & Martial Arts

MMA in general- it really boosts self confidence, teaches you how to destroy opponents, and builds character.
If you want more specific, the various U.S. Military Combatives are pretty good, but hard to find a good training gym that offers that kind of training. Krav Maga is good too- it's understated and devastating.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, boxing and Muay Thai. I've personally done each one (though much less Muay Thai) and if you take any of them seriously, you will significantly improve your fitness and also helps your mental well being.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Krav Maga and nothing else.

With God's help, I'll conquer this terrible affliction.

By way of deception, thou shalt game women.

Diaboli virtus in lumbar est -The Devil's virtue is in his loins.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (10-08-2013 10:27 PM)Luvianka Wrote:  

Krav Maga and nothing else.

[Image: tard.gif]

Yoga & Martial Arts

I think choosing the type of martial art / yoga is not the main factor in how much benefits you will get in terms of health/mental state. The main factor is your dedication. You can pick any of them, and if you are dedicated and train seriously, it will greatly benefit you.

Yoga & Martial Arts

You could go running and do basic exercises ONLY and get in decent enough shape and gain self confidence. Joining a program will only escalate that. Remember, don't blame the tools- blame the craftsman.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (10-08-2013 10:16 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, boxing and Muay Thai.

You just described Krav Maga. It integrates the most effective elements of all the self-defense disciplines. It uses a boxing stance and all the basic punches, it emphasizes use of the devastating power of elbow and knee strikes from Muay Thai, and addresses the defensive role of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (with the object of getting back on your feet ASAP before a second unknown attacker can kick your head in). Every combative has three elements: (1) immediate defense, (2) simultaneous counter-attack, and (3) escape. It is real world self-defense: strikes to the groin, throat, eyes, knees, etc.

I practiced Krav Maga for several years and I highly recommend it. You will keep in fantastic shape. A police officer pulled me over for speeding. He saw my Krav Maga shirt and said "I practiced Krav Maga and I puked during my first class." He let me off with a warning. [Image: thumb.gif]

My opinion regarding self-defense effectiveness:
1. Krav Maga -- just be sure that it is a real Krav Maga school, not just some add-on to a karate dojo.
2. U.S. Military Combatives -- may currently be only offered by the military. That will change as military instructors leave the service and open schools.
3. Russian Sambo
4. Muay Thai

Any of these disciplines will keep you in great shape!

Yoga & Martial Arts

You can learn Combatives from someone with experience in the military who's focused on those aspects of training. Usually it's a trainer who's a vet/reserve/active duty. You just need to ask around. I honestly love it because it's a mix of everything, taking from the best. It is powerful but you can gauge the power you're putting down. Krav Maga is good because it's accessible and easy to find a gym/club. It's a no-bullshit martial art, like Combatives. Muay Thai is a good supplementary technique, but I don't like it as a sole focus. SAMBO is very effective as well, if you can find a true course.

One thing I've always wanted to get into is Systema, but it's expensive to go to seminars and easy to get scammed too.

Remember: use Yelp to research the places you're looking at!

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (10-09-2013 12:06 AM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

You can learn Combatives from someone with experience in the military who's focused on those aspects of training. Usually it's a trainer who's a vet/reserve/active duty. You just need to ask around. I honestly love it because it's a mix of everything, taking from the best. It is powerful but you can gauge the power you're putting down. Krav Maga is good because it's accessible and easy to find a gym/club.

The only reason that I listed U.S. Military Combatives second was its relative lack of unavailability versus Krav Maga. Both schools are built on the very same principle: taking the best from each martial arts discipline and constant evolving techniques based on real world experience (i.e., no sacred cows).

Krav Maga might have one edge over U.S. Military Combatives. It is divided into (1) private (non-lethal), (2) police (restraint), and (3) military (lethal). So, strikes are divided into non-lethal and (potentially) lethal, depending upon whether you are in a life-threatening situation. You do not want to punch someone in the throat in a bar skirmish (unless they are menacing you with a weapon). True U.S. Military Combatives might be lethal only. I don't know.

Yoga & Martial Arts

I'd just learn boxing and read Pavel's "Relax Into Stretching".
Mental well being and flexibility right there. Few people know how to throw a punch and boxing will give you the know-how. Getting better at boxing also requires a lot of conditioning (burpees, jumprope, running, etc; not my cup of tea but it should keep you in shape)

Haven't developed the front or side splits yet as Pavel's RIS promises (it seems sort of gay) but supposedly he has some excellent Russian insights into how to do it.

I used his methodology to narrow my (broomstick) shoulder dislocations to just over shoulder width - which is pretty good.

OP, what do you consider peace of mind? Why not go fishing?

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (10-09-2013 02:09 AM)Hades Wrote:  

OP, what do you consider peace of mind? Why not go fishing?

I guess its the feeling I get after doing a yoga class. Feeling aware of your relaxed breathing,and your body is energized from all the postures.
Its that "being in the now" feeling.

Im assuming that martial arts can give you that same integrated "body/mind" experience?

However martial arts classes seem to be harder to find...yoga studios are in most suburbs these days.

I get bored with fishing since the body is not being challenged, and weights/gym work doesnt give me the "peaceful mind" state.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (10-09-2013 12:44 AM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

Quote: (10-09-2013 12:06 AM)CaliforniaSupreme Wrote:  

You can learn Combatives from someone with experience in the military who's focused on those aspects of training. Usually it's a trainer who's a vet/reserve/active duty. You just need to ask around. I honestly love it because it's a mix of everything, taking from the best. It is powerful but you can gauge the power you're putting down. Krav Maga is good because it's accessible and easy to find a gym/club.

The only reason that I listed U.S. Military Combatives second was its relative lack of unavailability versus Krav Maga. Both schools are built on the very same principle: taking the best from each martial arts discipline and constant evolving techniques based on real world experience (i.e., no sacred cows).

Krav Maga might have one edge over U.S. Military Combatives. It is divided into (1) private (non-lethal), (2) police (restraint), and (3) military (lethal). So, strikes are divided into non-lethal and (potentially) lethal, depending upon whether you are in a life-threatening situation. You do not want to punch someone in the throat in a bar skirmish (unless they are menacing you with a weapon). True U.S. Military Combatives might be lethal only. I don't know.

You are taught different methods, not everything is lethal. There are different holds and strikes that you can use- holds and takedowns are used for restraint, but you can still escalate. Strikes are divided into lethal and non-lethal. You're taught to scope out the situation and act accordingly- different procedures for situations. If someone breaches through a crowd control barrier and is unarmed, you take him down- not kill him lol.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Some yoga moves must increase T for older guys, my libido improves after some sessions. I don't know if anyone has done any research on this.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Wrestling, BJJ and Judo. Regular hard training at 80% intensity against uncooperative, resisting opponents who are trying to do the same to you. With a lot of martial arts you can't go at 80% let alone 100%. Having rules in the grappling arts lets you go all out without too much fear of hurting your opponent which not only strengthens your psyche and confidence but seems to boost testosterone levels.

Yoga & Martial Arts

I took Shaolin Kung Fu for some time. It wasn't the Chinese gov't approved overly acrobatic Wushu of the current era, it was the form that evolved into Kenpo. Classes also included meditation, qigong, and Tai Chi practice. Deep stance work and traditional forms were part of the training, as well as sparring and Chin Na (self defense against common attacks). Weapons were even taught from the beginning stages, too.

What I liked about the class is that the self defense drills were taught from a real-world perspective, ie, the attacker wasn't in some traditional forward stance, launching some fist to the hip style karate punch; they were regular boxing punches, kicks to the legs, foot-stomping, wrestling holds, etc. The counters were brutal, definitely not stuff you can take into a ring, because they're meant to break knees, elbows, even necks.

Felt great after each class, relaxed in body and mind. Google "Chinese Shaolin Center", the main school is in Denver CO, but there are others in states all over the US and even in Ireland.

"Make a little music everyday 'til you die"

Voice teacher here. If you ever need help with singing, speech and diction, accent improvement/reduction, I'm your man.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (10-09-2013 01:21 PM)Fitzgerald Wrote:  

I took Shaolin Kung Fu for some time. It wasn't the Chinese gov't approved overly acrobatic Wushu of the current era, it was the form that evolved into Kenpo. Classes also included meditation, qigong, and Tai Chi practice. Deep stance work and traditional forms were part of the training, as well as sparring and Chin Na (self defense against common attacks). Weapons were even taught from the beginning stages, too.

What I liked about the class is that the self defense drills were taught from a real-world perspective, ie, the attacker wasn't in some traditional forward stance, launching some fist to the hip style karate punch; they were regular boxing punches, kicks to the legs, foot-stomping, wrestling holds, etc. The counters were brutal, definitely not stuff you can take into a ring, because they're meant to break knees, elbows, even necks.

Felt great after each class, relaxed in body and mind. Google "Chinese Shaolin Center", the main school is in Denver CO, but there are others in states all over the US and even in Ireland.

I concur with this advice, if you are looking for yoga+martial arts+meditation pick a classic martial art like Kung Fu, JAPANESE Jiu Jitsu, Aikido or Karate taught by a 'real deal' instructor. You'll get all of the meditation and self disclipline in the same package from an old martial art with a good teacher.

MMA and BJJ are excellent sports that teach you technique and application. They are good if you don't want to learn proverbs, meditate, learn basic japanese or bow to anyone.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Yoga & Martial Arts

I'll be training muay thai in BKK in a few months. The camp has a full time yoga instructor babe. And after training sessions you can probably go hang out in some temples if you want to meditate.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (10-09-2013 02:05 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

Quote: (10-09-2013 01:21 PM)Fitzgerald Wrote:  

I concur with this advice, if you are looking for yoga+martial arts+meditation pick a classic martial art like Kung Fu, JAPANESE Jiu Jitsu, Aikido or Karate taught by a 'real deal' instructor. You'll get all of the meditation and self disclipline in the same package from an old martial art with a good teacher.

MMA and BJJ are excellent sports that teach you technique and application. They are good if you don't want to learn proverbs, meditate, learn basic japanese or bow to anyone.

I hate the cultural stuff lol

Yoga & Martial Arts

Doing meditation daily has proven to be the most effective for me.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (10-09-2013 02:05 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

I took karate for over 10 years, starting out when I was a teenager and taught for a while as well. The bowing is just a display of respect for your opponent, same as boxers touching gloves. Some schools focus on it more, some less. Teaching things like that to children gets them to focus more on things like respecting the instructor and fellow students - you don't want little Timmy going around punching and kicking everyone, with adults the bowing tends to be more of a "we both have to go to work tomorrow, let's not send anybody to the hospital tonight".

I remember working with one guy a few years ago who was eager to take classes and start learning, then walked out the door as soon as we got on the subject of bowing. He looked me dead in the eye and said, "The only person I bow to is to God." Then he walked straight out the door.

I've seen some people get in serious shape with more traditional martial arts, and I've seen people continue to be the fat slobs they were years after signing up for classes. You get what you put into it, just like anything else.

That all being said, I've been taking krav maga for two months now and I'm really liking it. It's much more informal than what I'm used to doing, but fun.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Yoga & Martial Arts

There is no one size fits all martial art or yoga routine, IMO. Having said that, a lot of people swear that just jiu jitsu or just yoga or just anything changed their lives. I think those people are nuthuggers who got emotionally attached to one art. The bottom line is they all have their limitations.

After doing jiu jitsu for many years I began to do yoga to improve my flexibility which would improve my game, plus the spiritual crap. Later, I realized that jiu jitsu limited my physical well being and only prepared me to do jiu jitsu. I started lifting weights and running in order to be more balanced. Ideally, I try to do ju jitsu 2 days a week, run or play basketball once, and lift weights once or twice. After I lift I often go to the yoga class to stretch out and help recovery.

To answer your question, yes, I find yoga and martial arts increases my peace of mind.

Yoga & Martial Arts

http://krauserpua.com/2013/07/13/daygame...ompliance/

The above is a link to a post Krauser made a little while back about his opinions on the various martial arts and their respective utilities. Draws parallells between each one and daygame and whether or not they require "compliance". Interesting reading. I happen to agree completely with his analysis. Yoga is great and bjj/boxing/judo/muay thai are all also great choices. Krav maga is a worthless practice along with tae kwon do, karate, etc. Well perhaps "worthless" is a bit extreme. Let's just say "vastly inferior". Check out the link and comments. Its a good read.

Yoga & Martial Arts

Quote: (11-13-2013 08:11 AM)RedPillMind Wrote:  

http://krauserpua.com/2013/07/13/daygame...ompliance/

The above is a link to a post Krauser made a little while back about his opinions on the various martial arts and their respective utilities. Draws parallells between each one and daygame and whether or not they require "compliance". Interesting reading. I happen to agree completely with his analysis. Yoga is great and bjj/boxing/judo/muay thai are all also great choices. Krav maga is a worthless practice along with tae kwon do, karate, etc. Well perhaps "worthless" is a bit extreme. Let's just say "vastly inferior". Check out the link and comments. Its a good read.

In regard to Krav Maga, this article contains one of the most imbecilic statements that I have ever read.

Quote:Quote:

Now consider the worthless martial arts…. Krav Maga, Karate, Ninjutsu, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do. What they all have in common? They are Dead. There is no serious competition (or in the case of TKD so removed from anything that resembles fighting it is simply the Dance Of The Foot Fairies). Dead martial arts fossilise. They have rigid grading hierarchies where senior grades don’t have to prove themselves. The respect for teachers is fake. It’s a bunch of guys who never get good at techniques that are never tested.

Never tested? I assume that he means because the object of the martial art is self-defense and not competition. First, they are tested everyday in the Israeli military and on the often deadly streets of Israel. Second, how do you seriously compete in a discipline when you routinely use strikes to the eyes, neck, groin, and side of the knees? How would you know the real winner with the half-measures necessary for competition?

As someone who practiced Krav Maga, I can tell you that -- unlike the truly dead martial arts where nothing really changes -- combatives are updated, often because of an improved technique stemming from a someone actually dying in real life combat on the streets of Israel or someone who narrowly escaped death using that particular technique. I have personally witnessed these updates and have had to re-learn techniques because of them.

I can also tell you that to advance to the upper levels of Krav Maga, you must fight not only other Krav Maga instructors but also instructors from other martial arts disciplines. The testing can last for several days and involves full-on full-contact fighting. In fact, I met a very skilled instructor who actually broke a leg during testing for the next level of advancement.

Regarding the very few women who advance to the upper levels (most women lose interest for top level advancement) they would kick the asses of 99.9% of the men on this forum -- even those who have advanced training in the non-lethal martial arts.

This Krauser guy demonstrates the type of ignorance of someone who writes about something that he has never witnessed, much less practiced.