rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Shaving : ingrown hairs and pimples, especially neck

I've got a thick (but keep it trimmed short) beard and find that every time I shave with a razor (or even electric shaver) I get pimples, occasional rash, and ingrown hairs. I'm sure the same applies to other parts of the body that are prone to this.

I've tried quality razors and a quality newer (panasonic) electric shaver. A beard trimmer on the lowest setting is what I've been using, but I would like to be able to keep my neck shaved daily or every other day.

That's because I find that the full neck beard isn't my favorite style...and I grow a full neck beard that fills in pretty quickly..

Even with a beard trimmer I get occasional irritation, pimples and ingrown hairs. I'm white and use primarily dr bronners soap or the like, coconut oil sometimes, wash my face with water often, and know how to shave properly.

Thoughts and advice? Truthmosis thread on no homo skin care tips is gold, but no specific advice on this. Much appreciated!!

I would like to know as well, identical problem. Happens in other places I shave as well.

[Image: attachment.jpg14648]   [Image: attachment.jpg14647]   

This is the only thing I've ever used that worked for ingrown hairs. It's a little expensive, and it burns a bit going on, but it works for me. It comes in different sizes, including a small, refillable roll-on size that's good for flying with. Larger drugstore chains may carry it, or you can get it on Amazon or tendskin.com.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

My brother had this problem as well and asked me to look around in the US to see if there were any products that would help. Apparently black guys have had this problem forever so I hooked him up with a couple of products from the afro american section in walmart. No problems anymore, I think they were all basically acid.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Quote: (09-25-2013 05:21 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

This is the only thing I've ever used that worked for ingrown hairs. It's a little expensive, and it burns a bit going on, but it works for me. It comes in different sizes, including a small, refillable roll-on size that's good for flying with. Larger drugstore chains may carry it, or you can get it on Amazon or tendskin.com.

ha! thats one of the ones I bought for my brother.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Quote: (09-25-2013 05:24 PM)wiscanada Wrote:  

My brother had this problem as well and asked me to look around in the US to see if there were any products that would help. Apparently black guys have had this problem forever so I hooked him up with a couple of products from the afro american section in walmart. No problems anymore, I think they were all basically acid.

Yes. Black men's hair tends to grow out curlier, and sometimes the tip of the hair curls back and sticks into the skin, creating an irritation, or it doesn't break through at all, and curls UNDER the skin, creating those fluid-filled bumps. Obviously, non-blacks can also have this occur, but it's probably more frequent in blacks on average.

"The best kind of pride is that which compels a man to do his best when no one is watching."

[Image: SBS-320954?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&...iccEmbed=0]

Sea Breeze is the only product you'll ever need. Used it for years. If you take hot showers you can apply this right afterwards when your pores are opened up. Will never have that problem again.

Or you can just get the water as hot as you can get it and put a towel under it and then apply it to the problem area. That heat will open up your pores and then you can apply the sea breeze.

Great product.

Quote: (09-25-2013 05:21 PM)Timoteo Wrote:  

this x 100000

it works so well that i think to myself, boy i dont get in growns anymore, i can quit using this. and then days later, they come back

i give this the reaper23 10000 thumbs up - its a MUST HAVE

Do you guys know of any UK products that work? I've tried everything over the years, shaving with the grain, against the grain, sideways across the grain, using different aftershave lotions, different types of shaving foam, different razors (up to 5 blades now - doesnt help). I've also tried shaving slower which helps a bit but still I get the rash and ingrown hairs. I've had a neck that looks like the lunar surface for 15 years. What's the secret?

Quote: (09-25-2013 06:27 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

[Image: SBS-320954?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&...iccEmbed=0]

Sea Breeze is the only product you'll ever need. Used it for years. If you take hot showers you can apply this right afterwards when your pores are opened up. Will never have that problem again.

Or you can just get the water as hot as you can get it and put a towel under it and then apply it to the problem area. That heat will open up your pores and then you can apply the sea breeze.

Great product.

TendSkin has worked for me, but now I'm curious about this. It's considerably cheaper, so at some point I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Do you use normal shaving foam when shaving and use the Seabreeze/TendSkin afterwards?

How you shave also matters. You want to leave a little bit of hair sticking up through the follicle so that the hair doesn't have a chance to grow into the skin. I used to use a razor called Proven Bump Fighter that has a tiny guard above the blade to keep it from citing to close. I've switched to a safety razor though, and haven't had any problems.

What you want to avoid is blades with multiple razors. The way those work is that one blade lifts the hair out of the skin and the next one cuts it short enough that it retracts back under the skin.

Shave in one direction only, and never against the direction of hair growth.

Bumpfighter 1 blade disposable razors, in the ethnic section.

Why has no one mentioned straight razors yet.
I switched to straight razors. I let my hair grow out enough that the bulk of bumps heal and go away. I also used a cream called soft sheen bump rescue.

Learn to shave with a straight razor. shave with the grain.
It might be a while before you become proficient..but not only does it stop a lot of the problems that multiblade razors cause. but it turns shaving into more of a hobby instead of a choir.
You will take more joy in it and do it right

I still have a slight amount of razor bumps..but no way near what I use to have.

*I shave once every 2-3 days

I am the cock carousel

The reason this happens is because your razor is not sharp anymore.

My friends who are black have a really hard time shaving. Where as the white guys I know can basically use soap and water followed by moisturizer and be fine. Strange the op is having an issue, sensitive skin maybe?

Can I ask is the op black? My friends who are black have a really hard time shaving. Where as the white guys I know can basically use soap and water followed by moisturizer and be fine.

Quote: (09-25-2013 07:50 PM)germanico Wrote:  

Shave in one direction only, and never against the direction of hair growth.

i never bought this argument.

who has hair that all grows in the same direction?

mine changes directions all over the place and even in the same location has hairs growing different ways

i've tried every method possible and the only thing i can say that works for sure is tendskin

Thanks for all the input guys!

Tend skin and sea breeze both contain salicylic acid. I am more inclined to try "natural" products. I'm thinking of trying apple cider vinegar wash after shaving. (acetic acid). I'll report back

Also thanks for the tip to try a single blade razor...

As mentioned I am white and shave "properly" with the direction of the hair, using a clean/new razor. I have always had this problem and it is mostly due to how close together the hairs grow in.

Cheers and keep it coming!

I've shaved with shaving soap and a shaving brush for years, with cartridges or a safety razor. I shave with the grain first, then either against or sideways. My ingrown hairs usually are on the neck and the area of the jaw, below the ears. TendSkin has done a great job of eliminating them. I only shave every two to three days - if I shave more often than that, my skin gets really irritated. After shaving and using TendSkin, I splash some Lucky Tiger tonic on my face to sooth it (it's got aloe vera, chamomile and calendula in it). At some point in the future, I'll experiment with a straight razor.

Shaving my neck is impossible. The hair grows in all different directions, there is no grain to shave with. I've tried multi-blade razors, single-blade safety razors, and electric razors. They all leave my neck raw and bloody. The only thing that comes close to working is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cleancut-ES412-Per...B001IZZX1C

It's actually marketed towards shaving your genitals but I use it on my face and neck. It uses a different mechanism than electric razors. It cuts the hair off AT the skin (not below it like many razors do) and wont ever cut your skin. The blade isn't even sharp, it works more like clippers. Which means it doesn't ever really get dull, which is nice.

It takes a long ass time, usually 15-20 minutes. It's not a one-pass deal. Instead of shearing the hair off at the skin, it kinda "eats" it up from tip to stem over several passes.

It also won't shave hair that has gotten too long. You have to combine it with a pair of clippers to take care of any stragglers it misses, or to give yourself an overall trim if you let your beard grow out too much. I shave every 2-3 days and rock stubble in between. I won't lie and say it's an amazing shave, but it's the best I've been able to get with my facial hair.

You want to use it when your face is bone try. You can try some talc or something if you have oily skin. Follow-up with Tendskin. You'll also want some rechargeable AA batteries.

I ordered the tendskin from amazon yesterday, and purchased some baby oil today. I used baby oil to shave for the first time. The shave didn't get as close, and my sink is a gunked up mess; however, I did get quite a pleasant shave. Doesn't burn afterwards, no nicks, and neck isn't red. Don't know about ingrown hairs yet, but time will tell. It's looking like a winner.

How do you treat an ingrown hair in the downstairs department, especially one which turned red and painful although now decreased slightly in size? (Asking for a friend) I will never use an electric shaver there again. Do I need to visit the doctor? I really hope it heals soon.

You might want something specific to ingrown hairs (Vanish PFB) or something with a high concentration of salicylic acid, like a wart treatment (haven't tested it, use at your own risk, don't use it for too long, and keep a baking soda and water slurry ready to neutralize the acid).

Overall goal is to 1) reduce inflammation (salicylic acid is aspirin) 2) get the hair to come out via exfoliation

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""