rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Greatest US Television series of All Time

Unlike most Americans, I don't spend more than 3 hours a day watching TV (unless its for sports)

My TV watching mostly consist of Sports, some news, Homeland, Walking Dead and a few judge shows.

So I was thinking back through the years, which shows would be in the Greatest of all time category for me? More importantly the debate between many for the best television series goes to The Wire vs Sopranos.

To me it has to be the wire. Yes the Sopranos had more highlight moments but with it came lows to where I found it extremely boring at times. On the other hand, The Wire was more entertaining through the five seasons, culminating with the death of Omar.

Some other favorites have been Friday Night Lights, Smallville, Supernatural, Sopranos, Homeland and a few others.

What's everyone opinion on the two shows or maybe their favorite series? Maybe I will find something worth watching

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock

Prison Break (first season especially)
Lost (first few seasons)
Sons of Anarchy (watch it for the build up to season 3's ending alone)
Dexter

The Shield
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Breaking Bad

Sopranos trumps them all tho......

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

To me, The Wire is the greatest show of all time.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Dexter seasons 1 and 2 and californication first three seasons

Seinfeld
The Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits

I always get hooked if any of those are on TV.

Team Nachos

OUter Limits..def forgot about that one. I remember I use to love that show when I was younger.

Dexter seasons 2-5 were the peak. Ever since then its gone down and now I can't even watch the ending

I forgot to add 24 into my mix. That last episode or two when Jack put on his "ironman" mask and when HAM was epic.

Anyone seen Entourage? I enjoyed the first few seasons

The Wire is absolutely one of the best.

Sopranos.

Twin Peaks.

(and Streethawk of course)

Lost, prison break, breaking bad, John doe

Right now we're living in a "golden age" of television. The past decade has seen the release of some of the best shows of all time.

The Wire (seasons 1-4) - Man the school in season 4 was dead on my what my jr high was like. Season 5 was still good, but not up to the quality of the previous 4.
Chapelle's Show - Possibly the funniest show ever.
The Sopranos (minus a couple of the middle seasons) - This show went on a couple of seasons too long before ending strong.
Band of Brothers - Still holds up on second and third viewings
Generation Kill - Criminally underrated mini-series
Breaking Bad - The best on right now.
Mad Men - Regardless of how you feel about it now, the first few seasons rank up there as some of the best TV ever.

Honorable Mention:
The Shield - Vic Fucking Mackey
Lost (seasons 1 & 2) - Lost started strong, but jumped the shark by the end of its run.
The Simpsons - Never great, but consistently good for a long, long time.

Personal Favorites:
Max Headroom
The Boondocks (season 3) - After rewatching the Obama election episode, I have to say Aaron McGruder absolutely nailed it.
MacGuyver - Because...MacGuyver!

-

The Simpsons

South Park

Cowboy Bebop

For me it's

Wire
Breaking Bad/The Sopranos

If Breaking Bad finishes its last two episodes strong it will move ahead of Sopranos for me definitively.

Other shows that I like: Simpsons (I still watch a lot of the older seasons online), Seinfeld, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead (although it's not a tier 1 show), and Suits is in the same category as Walking Dead (especially after season 3).

I may someday decide to watch the Shield, Mad Men, and Dexter.

PS. Am I the only one or do you guys rewatch shows like Sopranos, Breaking Bad and Wire etc. too?

Seinfeld
The Sopranos
South Park

My honerable mentions
King of the Hill
V (the first one)
Jericho

The Twilight Zone

Mr. Ed

Rico... Sauve....

Married With Children
Oz
Breaking Bad
Curb Your Enthusiasm

How you desrcibe The Sopranos ("had highlight moments but with it came lows to where I found it extremely boring at times") is how I'd describe the Wire.

I love Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Lost. Honourable mentions go to The Wire, The Simpsons (obv) and Family Guy, Game of Thrones, Prison Break season 1, Dexter until I got bored of it (S3).

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Hannibal is right up there too.

Twin Peaks

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

It seems like most shows peak at season 3 or 4 and then go downhill.

I think back to The Wire, Dexter, Entourage and 24.

Anything more than 5 seasons and shows begin to loose something. That's why I like The Wire so much. It ended on a very good note as opposed I Dexter where it's gone 2 or 3 seasons too long.

Archer

Exo Squad. This cartoon was on at 5:30 in the morning when I was a kid. Unlike other cartoons the story and war for earth and mars actually progressed and was resolved. Main characters died. It was like a combination of Mars Attacks (if you are familiar with the trading card storyline) and Robotech.

Everyone else has mentioned the modern gems. Oh except for Arrested Development, C'mon!

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Family Matters
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
The Borgias
Strike Back
Martin
Shameless
House of Lies
How to Make It In America

[Image: taxicab-confessions-7-las-vegas-america-undercover.jpg]
or
[Image: real-sex-7.jpg]

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Breaking Bad is the best I've seen.

Six Feet Under
Wire
Sopranos
Southland

I try a lot of shows, but most don't hold my interest after one or at the most two seasons.

I like(d) some mainstream network stuff too, like Criminal Minds and the old Law & Order.

Fave shows when I was younger

Brady Bunch
Emergency
The Rookies
Gilligan's Island
Saved by the Bell -- especially the episodes when Kelli Kapowski was in a bikini or cheerleader outfit.