rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Music Thread

The Music Thread

I haven't seen a thread on music yet, which is big part of my life.

I've always loved music and I use it to improve myself. I remember a Return of the Kings article by McQueen on how he puts some old movie scenes on before he goes out to set the game mood. I usually do the same with music.

Bottom line, music can be used to pump yourself up in the gym, used to music game a chick, set you in the mood for a bang, set the girl your're with in the mood for a bang, help you assassinate the beta within or whatever. Music has power, so lets share.

So here is the motto for a music thread, which I hope gets a following. I intend do drop some album reviews here and since I am a very eclectic guy listening form everything from dubstep, to jazz, to blues, metal or hiphop, lets set the rule that over here, anything, any style or any artist is valid.

I'm going to start by introducing Nas' Life is Good, just because I've been hooked on it for a while now and still plays on my iPod.

[Image: nas-life-is-good.jpg]

Rappers, or at least the good ones are commonly recognized as the role model of the alpha male of our society. Now, I am not really the rapper type and I don't hold 2 pounds of bling on my chest, but I recognize this character's got game and respect him for it.

On the cover of this album he is holding Kelis' wedding dress on his lap after a nasty divorce, soon after the marriage. So obviously this sets the background for the whole album. It's all about his point of view on what happened and his overview on his own life. And basically the philosophy is:

it didn't work out? fuck it, I'm better than ever and got lots of chicks to bang ahead of me
I have to pay over half a million to that girl? fuck it, there's more where that came from because I'm the source of my richness
I screwed up? fuck it, it only made me better and I need to focus on raising my kid

He reminds the audience and himself of what his life is all about and... Life is Good. He doesn't even feel mad at the girl. He does not give her that much importance. To be angry or show that off would be to irradiate weakness. I think a lot of us here in the forum who have been in tough burned out relationships can learn from that. Women aren't even worth being mad at because they don't pose a threat to a true player and because they don't even know what they're doing.

Now, about the music itself. The album has some REALLY great beats and this guy is a master at his craft. He's a pro and it shows. The sounds are clean, tasteful and the album itself offers very good sound engineering/production qualities.

The rhymes are tight and they deliver clear messages. The album becomes a good source of empowerment and at the same time allows you to enjoy some tasteful harmonies brought from the past (Nas always excels at this). Of course you also get some unexpected feature guests besides the homies such as Amy Winehouse for example.

It is an album to be listened to with some attention, and not as ambient music. However some tracks can even provide a good bang to song such as "Stay" - a good song to impress a girl who's giving you a hard time opening her legs. Every track is different in someway and that makes it a good listen from beginning to end without getting boring.

Don't forget this is still a HipHop/RnB piece of work, so if you don't enjoy the kind at all, don't expect to like it.

Enjoy!