rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Having a goal?

Having a goal?

However often this is referred to in the articles, books and forums I read, I cannot for the life of me ascertain what indeed my goal is, or should be.

If pushed, I would say something like 'Be a millionaire by 2020'. However, this is obviously very generic. Indeed, is a millionaire enough? Should I aim higher? Never lower, surely; for a goal you are almost certain to reach is no goal at all.

I'm not sure, however, that being a millionaire should be my one goal- will it bring happiness? Sure, it'll help. But possibly travel and friendships regardless of money would bring more happiness. Different goal- be happy? Is that not a bit of a weak goal, a cop out?

How do you approach this? Do you have one overriding goal, and strive for nothing else? Do you have one main goal, and approach it with a selection of different goals in order to achieve the one goal? Examples would be appreciated.

I feel at times like a bit of a drifter. Sure, business is going OK, and I enjoy it. But I can't help but feel that if I get to fifty and I'm ten times bigger, employing 20 staff, I'll still not have achieved that much in the scheme of things.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Having a goal?

For a while, my goal in life was to work out what my goal in life was. In the end, everyone's goals should reflect what makes them happy

Having a goal?

Your goals should be of two types.

1) long term desires that motivate you when life gets tough, and
2) very short term milestones that improve your life and steer it closer to the long term goals.

I think you can do better than a million.

Having a goal?

Keep in mind your goal(s) can always change. Set the ones that matter for you with deadlines. As you continue to grow and change as a man (like we all do) you can re-evaluate what your goals are.

I have goals, many, but my life doesn't end if I fail to meet them by the desired deadline. But they are the lighthouse in the dark that provides some guidance for my life.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Having a goal?

Do you mean your life mission or purpose, or just something to work towards at the moment?

I once read that the mission part is like an onion. Every time you complete one mission or think you find your purpose, another layer peels back to reveal a new mission. But that can take time sometimes...

As for goals, like a previous poster said, it's good to break a big goal down into smaller ones. SMART goals as they call it in life coaching circles...

Having a goal?

Happy and rich it is then! Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

I have plenty of mini goals, mostly to do with becoming a more rounded individual. Many props to this forum in that department.

The general consensus would perhaps be that there is no harm in having multiple long term goals?

I'm reminded of a quote, attributed to the great Benjamin Franklin: "He that pursues two hares at one, does not catch one and lets the other go." Should this apply, do you think, to the short term goals in order to more quickly realise the long term goals that they constitute?

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Having a goal?

Quote: (09-02-2013 04:18 AM)roberto Wrote:  

Happy and rich it is then! Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

I have plenty of mini goals, mostly to do with becoming a more rounded individual. Many props to this forum in that department.

The general consensus would perhaps be that there is no harm in having multiple long term goals?

I'm reminded of a quote, attributed to the great Benjamin Franklin: "He that pursues two hares at one, does not catch one and lets the other go." Should this apply, do you think, to the short term goals in order to more quickly realise the long term goals that they constitute?

Franklin may have said that, but if you read his autobiography, it sounds like he always had his hands in a ton of different endeavours at once.

Anyways, if no major goal speaks to you at the moment, pursue a couple smaller ones until something strikes you. I like Tim Ferris' dreamlining process for goal-setting.

Say to yourself, "if I was the richest and smartest man in the world, in 6 months I would..."

Then write three categories. Have, Be, and Do. Try to come up with 3 - 5 items for each category.

Choose the 3 from the overall list that would have the most profound impact on your life and write out steps you can take towards them for the next three days.

You can do this for several different time periods if you like (3 months, 6 months, 12 months, etc).

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Having a goal?

I'd suggest writing down your Goals for Life and Goals for the Year/ Quarter (or any other short-term time period) and pinning them up next to your table or bed (you should look at them everyday).

I have Goals for Life and Goals for the Semester (I'm a sophomore at College)

Goals for Life:
Things like making money, sleeping with a certain number of girls, and a bunch of plausible crazy shit you can think of.

Goals for the Year/ Quarter/ Semester:
Getting a promotion, getting a new job, learning something, goals for an organization, etc. Things that are quantifiable in the short run.

Think of mission and vision statements.

Having a goal?

I was always a big proponent of setting concrete goals for both long and short term, but recently I've been thinking a bit differently.

I'm now leaning more towards a model in which you define a general 'code' by which you live, the type of person you want to be and the lifestyle that person has, an underlying philosophy for each aspect of your life. Only after this do you create smaller term goals/projects that build on what you want to be and chip away at what you don't want to be.

Having a goal?

Quote: (09-03-2013 07:24 PM)coolkid Wrote:  

I'd suggest writing down your Goals for Life and Goals for the Year/ Quarter (or any other short-term time period) and pinning them up next to your table or bed (you should look at them everyday).

I have Goals for Life and Goals for the Semester (I'm a sophomore at College)

Goals for Life:
Things like making money, sleeping with a certain number of girls, and a bunch of plausible crazy shit you can think of.

Goals for the Year/ Quarter/ Semester:
Getting a promotion, getting a new job, learning something, goals for an organization, etc. Things that are quantifiable in the short run.

Think of mission and vision statements.

I do indeed have that all set out, on a 'Personal Strategy Tracking Template' which I found on here somewhere. Haven't been too strong on visualizing it every morning, however.

Having a goal?

Quote: (09-03-2013 09:38 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

I was always a big proponent of setting concrete goals for both long and short term, but recently I've been thinking a bit differently.

I'm now leaning more towards a model in which you define a general 'code' by which you live, the type of person you want to be and the lifestyle that person has, an underlying philosophy for each aspect of your life. Only after this do you create smaller term goals/projects that build on what you want to be and chip away at what you don't want to be.

That's a really interesting way of looking at things; I like it a lot. Thank you.

Having a goal?

Another cool approach to goal-setting is the 7Life System. The original article I originally saved a link for seems to be down, but this other guy here gives a synopsis and basic breakdown:

7Life System: The Simple Structure That Will Change Your Life

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Having a goal?

Quote: (09-04-2013 02:08 AM)roberto Wrote:  

I do indeed have that all set out, on a 'Personal Strategy Tracking Template' which I found on here somewhere. Haven't been too strong on visualizing it every morning, however.

You don't need to visualize it. Just write them down and keep them next to your bed. It helps you keep your eye on the goal every single morning.