rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Acting classes can dramatically improve your game

I learned a lot of things, in pretty much every aspect of game from taking just one acting class. I discovered an emotional range I never knew I had, maintaining frames, everything. Highly recommended for all players. No, mandatory. Its no wonder women find actors so consistently attractive.

And I also say this, in a weird way it also helps you identify and work out your issues, kinda like therapy. Its a fantastic way to figure yourself out and really break through.

I know plenty of you who've done the same have similar experiences.

Can you give some additional info?

Costs, frequency, examples and such.

I'm thinking this sounds like improv. They give you a scenario and you act it out with others. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This sounds interesting.

I recommend taking a local community college class ,which is what I did (I live in California). The classes are cheap, transferable and most probably have reputable, legit instructors (rather than some fly by night class taken in a converted yoga studio or something).

Yes its mostly improv , though sometimes your given a script. I met some cool people too as an added bonus.

This has always been at the back of my mind. It takes "fake it till you make it" to an entirely different level - you're essentially jumping into the skin of whatever character you want. I'm definitely gonna check this out - maybe do one at the local community college because I doubt my university is going to provide good acting classes.

Okstudies, it'd be nice if you could keep us updated on how these classes (if you continue to take them) affect your game, and the real world results post-classes.

I thought someone might make a thread about this soon.

I've been considering taking acting in NYC to help develop my game as well as well as develop myself - just need to find a good nyc teacher or class.

...It makes sense that acting would help your game - Doing something out of your comfort zone tends to build confidence. Game is also about playing a certain role, or character, that a girl is (hopefully) attracted to.

I assume it will help in other social situations as well - just talking to different people, job interviews, etc.

I probably won't take acting courses but....I have incorporated at times the Al Pacino character in "Heat" often in my actions. It's "asshole-ish" initially to women but they end up liking it in the end.

Game IS acting. A lot of the time at least, especially when you are new at it. Social skills requires acting at times. CEOs and politicians have to slap backs and act like they like people when they'd rather be doing something else. They also have to look calm and in control during a crisis, when inside they are scared shitless.

When approaching, especially newbies, never let them see you sweat. You might be nervous, but on the outside show a calm and in-control confident person.

I endorse acting classes. Good idea.

Take care of those titties for me.

If you're in LA and you can afford it, I'd absolutely recommend taking a scene study class. You will broaden your social circle, and there are ALWAYS hot girls in them that you start to develop chemistry with.

Start organizing little get together's after class at a bar near by. There was one place called Cat and the Fiddle, right down the street from a place I was taking class.

Goldmine, great recommendation Okstudies

Quote: (07-27-2013 08:26 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

Can you give some additional info?

Costs, frequency, examples and such.

I'm thinking this sounds like improv. They give you a scenario and you act it out with others. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This sounds interesting.

If you are in Los Angeles, Improv Olympic West, Upright Citizens Brigade, Groundlings, and Acme are all legit and will have good instructors. I had to audition into groundlings, but if you have some legit actor training, you will likely get in.

You can only be as good of a person on stage as you are in real life, so as you get to be a better person, you can become a better actor and vice versa.

Someone mentioned taking classes at Junior colleges, that can be good, depends on how solid their theater program is. I would suggest for ANYONE, to get some vocal training- not necessarily singing, but just basic vocal work. For many years, I was not speaking with my actual vocal range(mostly bad habits) and I almost certainly came off as incongruent, regardless of what I was saying or whatever the situation was(not just with women or acting, but everywhere). That doesn't even begin to touch on what you can to with inflection, pitch, volume, speed, and whatnot to be a better speaker, and choosing which operative words to stress in a sentence-all of that can improve your game.

If you are in LA, the last line you wanna use on a chick is "I'm an actor". The sheer high number of actors (both male and female) makes the profession sound laughable. All respect to whoever sticks to that craft, however, in LA you'd be better off telling them you're anything else. You can still pick something fun, but don't play the actor card.
As far as helping with your game, sure. If you hang around many actors, you will observe that the best ones are the ones that play 'method' and embody the character. This means, they don't think and analize much, say very little by talking up only the focal point of their conversation. The less you say, the more you get your point across. It helps to have a resounding voice.

Quote: (07-28-2013 05:24 PM)8ball Wrote:  

If you are in LA, the last line you wanna use on a chick is "I'm an actor". The sheer high number of actors (both male and female) makes the profession sound laughable. All respect to whoever sticks to that craft, however, in LA you'd be better off telling them you're anything else. You can still pick something fun, but don't play the actor card.
As far as helping with your game, sure. If you hang around many actors, you will observe that the best ones are the ones that play 'method' and embody the character. This means, they don't think and analize much, say very little by talking up only the focal point of their conversation. The less you say, the more you get your point across. It helps to have a resounding voice.

Agreed, I used to say "I just wanted to take some classes because I thought it would be neat I'm NOT an actor"

Then if you're good at it, it makes you look even better.

I've been considering this for a while. Any specific recommendations on acting classes / schools in LA?

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

Quote: (07-28-2013 10:43 PM)Soma Wrote:  

I've been considering this for a while. Any specific recommendations on acting classes / schools in LA?

Anywhere in Hollywood. Just pick the cheapest one, for beginners its good to just show up and learn some basics.

I would go to stand up class though...might work better for you game and develop a routine you can say based on your personality strengths.

What part of LA?
santa monica city college has a solid theater department.

Howard Fine, Larry Moss Studio(Edgemar) I have had good experience with.

If you are close to north hollywood, anteus supposedly had some good deal that worked out to like $20/class but I don't see it here.

http://www.antaeus.org/theacademy.html

for commercials, Kilian is the best. I already listed like 4 of the better improv schools.

I would actually suggest avoiding the method acting schools like Lee Strassburg: method acting can fuck you up. This is a whole other conversation.

For the guys who say not to talk about acting, well sure, if you are not going out on auditions and not booking any work, it would be completely incongruent to tell anyone that you are an actor. However, if you say, "Hey I am in a production of "hamlet" that opens next month, I can get you comp(free) tickets, are you interested?" I don't see how that would hurt you. Or if you talk about what a great day you had working on a budweiser commercial that day. Those are actually interesting things to talk about.

Any recommendations for acting classes in NYC?

Quote: (07-30-2013 10:03 PM)Spider Wrote:  

Any recommendations for acting classes in NYC?

I've never studied in nyc, but I mentioned voice classes. I cannot recommend kristen linklater enough, my voice has gotten so much stronger the past 3 years using linklater technique and she is in nyc.

http://www.thelinklatercenter.com/classes-and-workshops

As for 'where to go for acting classes in new york city', that is the biggest pond you will find so try different things and you will definitely find a class that is right for you. My only caution is, definitely try auditing(sitting in on a class and watching) to see if it is the right class for you. if a school won't let you audit, there is something seriously wrong with them.

Los Angeles, and hollywood is another big pond, but it is a whole different animal- more about acting for the camera and not a lot of live theater. I forgot to even mention, the best classes I have taken in los angeles where I got the most out of them were from Will Geer's Theatricum.

Great thread. I was thinking about trying some classes half a year ago but the idea went on the back burner.

I'll say this though: almost all of the male actors I meet are charismatic as shit, tons of game, and getting laid. It makes you wonder if they're actually all that charismatic or if it's all an act. Then you realize: nobody else gives a shit, especially not women.

Quote: (07-29-2013 01:16 AM)master_thespian Wrote:  

What part of LA?
(snip)
I already listed like 4 of the better improv schools.

My bad, I missed your previous post. Thanks for the suggestions. The part of LA doesn't matter; I'd be coming in specifically to take acting classes (though not to actually become an actor.)

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

in NYC I want to try Upright Citizens Brigade. Its all about thinking on your feet and responding to intense scenarios under certain rules and guidelines, to train you to follow the script and stay in character, kind of like a drinking game.

Quote: (07-31-2013 09:43 AM)puckman Wrote:  

in NYC I want to try Upright Citizens Brigade. Its all about thinking on your feet and responding to intense scenarios under certain rules and guidelines, to train you to follow the script and stay in character, kind of like a drinking game.

I was thinking the same.

This is open right now, anyone else interested?

Improv 101: Improv Basics

Prerequisites
All experience levels start with Improv 101

Scheduled
Sundays 12-3pm

Start Date
Sun August 18, 2013, 12:00pm EDT

Price
$400.00

Students will learn the fundamentals of long-form improvisation including: agreement, active listening, playing characters, playing truthfully and to the top of your intelligence and group mind.

Course meets for 8 sessions, each 3 hours long.

Students will take part in a class performance, generally held at the UCB Theatre.

Students required to see at least 2 improvised shows at the UCB Theater before the end of the course.

Class Size: 16 Students

No class Labor Day weekend, but it DOES meet Columbus Day weekend. Check your schedule carefully before enrolling!

Love acting class. Makes me feel really good after.

Last one I took they paired me up with an old ugly lady to do a love scene and wanted us to meet outside of class. I never went back.

But yeah, I've met girls at acting class before that and got the bang all from the working on the love scene premise.

Quote: (07-31-2013 12:50 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Last one I took they paired me up with an old ugly lady to do a love scene and wanted us to meet outside of class. I never went back.

But yeah, I've met girls at acting class before that and got the bang all from the working on the love scene premise.

You had paid up for the class and stopped going because you didn't like the scene and scene partner? You could have kept going and just done monologues and said you weren't interested in doing the scene because of time or some other excuse, no reason for you to eat the cost of a class.

If I was in new york, I would probably try taking more classes in Laban. The classes aren't cheap, and certainly arent for everyone-it helps if you are already in a play.

What I like about ucb and i/o west is that they put you in shows(or at least class showcases) right away to help you get some experience in long form improv.

Anybody have any out-of-class resources for this? Or is it something you have to practice in a group?

Quote: (07-31-2013 08:22 PM)master_thespian Wrote:  

Quote: (07-31-2013 12:50 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

You had paid up for the class and stopped going because you didn't like the scene and scene partner? You could have kept going and just done monologues and said you weren't interested in doing the scene because of time or some other excuse, no reason for you to eat the cost of a class.

If I was in new york, I would probably try taking more classes in Laban. The classes aren't cheap, and certainly arent for everyone-it helps if you are already in a play.

What I like about ucb and i/o west is that they put you in shows(or at least class showcases) right away to help you get some experience in long form improv.

Actually I still owe them for that class.

I was doing a payment plan.

What is Laban ?

Quote: (07-31-2013 08:26 PM)DLZ Wrote:  

Anybody have any out-of-class resources for this? Or is it something you have to practice in a group?

Yes, watch shows. There are also workshops, or improv workouts(you pay $20 or whatever they are charging in cash at the start of the workshop and you do exercises for the next 2 hours).

(edit, looks like ucb wants $50 for this workshop you might be able to find something cheaper but you can definitely take some workshops that are just one day. but definitely see shows and you will get some idea of what works and what doesn't http://newyork.ucbtrainingcenter.com/courses/view/8666 )

If you are currently a student at ucb, they let you see as many of their shows at no extra cost. So see as many as you can.

Laban is about movement. Someone named rudolf laban came up with it, did a lot of work, among other things, fine tuning olympic athletes.

Basically, he came up with 8 forms of movement which are either direct or indirect, sudden or sustained: slash, dab, press, thrust, flick,float, glide, wring.

If you are playing a character in a play, for example Richard III, you will realize that he has a lot of wring in his personality and you want to put that into his movements.

You can also apply this to everyday life, since we are talking about acting, the actors that succeed in booking work long term are the ones that stuck with it for years- they often have a lot of press in their life. As opposed to someone who might have a lot of talent, but their approach may be intermittent and not sustained, they might have a lot of slash or thrust in their personality, come up with a big burst of energy and can get work, but have trouble keeping up that level over a long period).

But more than anything, I have seen people use this technique and get some really good results with their acting. Also, these courses aren't very often offered outside of maybe workshops(where I took them), I don't know of any actual classes in Laban outside of New York and London, but it looks like they have some in toronto, maryland and belguim.

http://www.limsonline.org/program-worksh...nt-studies