rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Long distance buses in Brazil

Hey Guys!
Would anyone comment on the situation with long distance travel between Brazilian cities, please? Other than air travel.
Just wondering if it's generally safe to take a bus say for example between Porto Alegre and Curitiba. Assuming I carry more than a backpack (a couple of suitcases, an Apple laptop, etc.)
Thanks!

I traveled from Rio to Sao Paulo by bus. I took a large suitcase and I have an apple laptop. I carry my laptop in my backpack which I kept on me in the bus. You put your luggage under the bus. I say you'll be fine just keep your laptop on you in the bus and don't take out to take extra precautions. I don't know know how far Curitiba is from Porto Alegre but just be aware of your surroundings.

In the south you should be ok. However, be extra careful if taking a bus in the North/Northeast. For the long distance ones, I'd personally not take the bus and do it by plane as it is not much more expensive and a lot faster and safer.

Bring a sweater. Trust me on this.

Quote: (09-06-2010 05:01 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Yeah, I keep hearing about the A/C issue on long-distance buses.
I wonder if renting a car could be a better idea overall (if I'm willing to spend the money). If they allow a different city drop-off option...

Quote: (09-06-2010 07:53 AM)digitalamish Wrote:  

Quote: (09-06-2010 05:01 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Yeah, I keep hearing about the A/C issue on long-distance buses.
I wonder if renting a car could be a better idea overall (if I'm willing to spend the money). If they allow a different city drop-off option...

You could rent a car, but again, some key points to keep in mind:
Renting a car in the south is safe. The road condition is good. The same can'tbe said about the North and North East where I wouldn't nor any Brasilian I know dare driving at night specially in the interior where car jackings and bandidos are always on the lookout for easy targets.
Believe me, I have thought a lot to rent a car in Brasil and just drive all around the country but all my Brasilian friends have told me that it's crazy and dangerous. I ain't a pussy but I do believe them specially after seeing the Northeast and some parts of the interior with my own eyes. Places I wouldn't dare driving at night alone nor god forbad if your car were to break down in the middle of nowhere where the nearest town is 300kms away. Keep that in mind.

Speakeasy is on the money about suggesting a good and warm sweater/jacket as they put the ac to the max on the buses.

PoA to Curitiba by car is not that far. But it is a tiring trip to go by yourself, plus there is a lot of trucks on the road, belive me I almost was involved in a huge car accident in July due to that. How is you Portuguese?
But I rather go by bus or plane and in Curitiba rent the car.
I agree with VP, it is very dangerous if your car break in northeast or north.

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

I probably took 20+ busses in Brazil. From what I understand the dangerous places to take a bus are near the Colombian/ North East. I took buses from Vitoria to Florianopolis and never had any troubles. I didn't have much luggage for most of my trips. And I agree on bringing a sweater. Those busses are either too hot or too cold. And pay a little extra for the executivo or duplo or whichever the nicer busses are. Not the real expensive ones though unless you have the money. I wouldn't recomend avoiding driving in Brazil if you have only driven in the US.