rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best long-weekend destinations outside the U.S. (with limited spanish skills)

I've studied Brazilian Portuguese for months, but it appears that a Brazil trip is not in the cards for a while. I just can't get away from work long enough to make that trip worthwhile.

Now I'm basically trying to plan out a Labor day weekend trip to a closer S.A. or C.A. location, even though my Spanish is non-existent.

Since I only have from Sept 2nd - 6th, I would really appreciate some help in picking a good location. I have traveled across Europe, but this will be my first trip south.

I'm not looking to explore ruins or take bus trips across cities. I just want to find one good location and spend 4 days/nights hitting on lots of attractive women, drinking, walking the city, and enjoying no work. Being within a reasonable distance to a beach would be a plus, but not a big concern. The women and the nightlife are my biggest concerns, and the city being "in season" as opposed to someone later saying, "You should have been there in May or later in December" type of thing. College towns/vacation spots for locals are a huge plus as well. I will be staying at a nice hotel wherever I go, so obviously I don't want to end up around ladies that would almost never consider a ONS.

The big issue is that I will have to rely on my looks, body language, and the girls ability to understand/speak some English. I'm not expecting her to be fluent but I need something to work with. I will put as much effort as possible into learning some Spanish before I go, even though it will start blending with my Portuguese.

As a 27 yr old white American, what do you consider my best option?

Is Colombia out of the question? If not, is Medellin better or should I try my luck in Periera with the group heading that way? Or some other town? Is Spanish a must in one city but not necessarily in another?

Is Mexico a good choice? If so, is Guadalajara best or somewhere else? Where is English understood and spoken enough by locals to give me a chance? Am I better off just going to Puerto Vallarta this time and working on my Spanish before trying other areas?

Where else would you recommend?

Mixx, would you mind following up on something you posted a while back.

"If you are a decent looking gringo (white blue/green eyed dude whith limited spanish skills) You will get laid easier in Brazil, Honduras/El Salvador (definitely anywhere in C.A), and Panama, and please do yourself a favor and go to El Salvador, you will fly back home in a wheelchair from all the sex you will have!

Mexico is good for gringos too, but Mexican women are used to seeing gringos get hammered during spring break and Gringos are not really a novelty as a Spaniard or Puerto Rican in Mexico. However, you will still get laid....so have fun."

I think your location in the U.S. makes a pretty big difference, as far as how accessible certain spots may be. If you're in Miami/Orlando/Atlanta then Colombia may only be a few hours away, but a bit further if you're in Chicago, Seattle, etc. Right off the bat I'd say Mexico, if you have decent Spanish then Guadalajara might be a good option, never been myself, but it sounds dope, I'm just not too sure how widely English is spoken. Otherwise I bet you could get by pretty easily and have a good time in Puerto Vallarta. If you're not intent on hooking up with the local population and/or you Spanish is non-existent, then I'd say Cabo San Lucas, from what I hear mostly American tourists down there, but lot's of fun, good party scene, and all the vacationing women want to fuck. As far as that Mixx quote, I went to school with lots of El Salvadorans, some of the women are hot if you like dark skinned, big booty Latina chicks (which I do), but overall they are not the hottest IMHO, and they are not the most consistent. Panama sounds dope, but places I want to go aren't big party spots. Honorable mention, never been myself, but if you are on the east coast and like black women, then maybe check out Trinidad, I hear there's a good party scene over there. Also, I hear great reports about Iceland, this is the best time of year to go, with lot's of partying, close enough to the east coast, and the women are supposed to be pretty easy to lay.

In Guadalajara and in Mexico in general only the upper wealthy class speaks fluent English(with an accent of course).

In Guadalajara it would be all the Zapopan zone, staying in Fiesta Americana in front of the "Minerva" is a good choice.

Quote: (08-27-2010 01:32 AM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

As far as that Mixx quote, I went to school with lots of El Salvadorans, some of the women are hot if you like dark skinned, big booty Latina chicks (which I do), but overall they are not the hottest IMHO, and they are not the most consistent. Panama sounds dope, but places I want to go aren't big party spots.

Yup - agreed.

Go to Colombia/trinidad/Dominican Republic if you live anywhere in the South Eastern States. Careful with the P4P scene in DR, its heavy!

Go to Mexico if you live in the Midwest.

Forget Mexico if you live in California, Texas, Nevada or Arizona, you see enough Mexicans there already =)

If you live in CA,TX,AZ or NV, then head on down Colombia/Peru/Carribean and try something new aside from Mexican tacos.

If you live in the North East States, then go to Montreal or Toronto for a big Colombian scene, but you can go to Jackson Heights, Queens in NYC and see mad-fly Colombianas too. =)

If all else Fails hit Miami man - consider it a "training ground boot camp" for Latin America.

Mixx

Quote: (08-27-2010 10:27 AM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

As far as that Mixx quote, I went to school with lots of El Salvadorans, some of the women are hot if you like dark skinned, big booty Latina chicks (which I do), but overall they are not the hottest IMHO, and they are not the most consistent. Panama sounds dope, but places I want to go aren't big party spots.

Yup - agreed.

Go to Colombia/trinidad/Dominican Republic if you live anywhere in the South Eastern States. Careful with the P4P scene in DR, its heavy!

Forget Mexico if you live in California, Texas, Nevada or Arizona, you see enough Mexicans there already =)

If you live in CA,TX,AZ or NV, then head on down Colombia/Peru/Carribean and try something new aside from Mexican tacos.

If you live in the North East States, then go to Montreal or Toronto for a big Colombian scene, but you can go to Jackson Heights, Queens in NYC and see mad-fly Colombianas too. =)

If all else Fails hit Miami man - consider it a "training ground boot camp" for Latin America.

Mixx

Honestly...agree with Mixxx...hit Miami, Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic first for Boot Camp....flights are reasonable, women are abundant....it's far away to be considered exotic yet close enuff to get back in time for work...

Easy coast, if you want cheap, go to D.R., P.R., or Colombia.

West coast: Costa Rica?, Antigua, Guatemala if you want to pick up on a steady stream of backpackers.

Nightlife is a huge question mark as far as what your talking about. For me, nightlife equals available alcohol and women. That could be in a dive beach bar or anywhere. To others, they need a packed club to feel like they are participating in nightlife.

"West coast: Costa Rica?, Antigua, Guatemala if you want to pick up on a steady stream of backpackers."

Its kind of funny, most people don't realize that you have to fly from the west coast, then to the east coast, and then down to go to Costa Rica. (I am not saying that you, specifically, don't know this Hydro, you obviously know what's up, just making a point). Costa is more or less directly south of florida.

That is one thing that sucks about the west coast, it is hard to do "close" travel. (except Las Vegas.)

Cabo is a good close trip for West Coast and would seem to fit your criteria. Although I don't think its the right time of year to go, you might need to check on that. Also, I don't thinks its the best place to swoop Mexican girls. More tourist American girls if my memory serves me correctly. Its been a long time since I went there.

Or Norte Baja.

Thanks for all the posts so far.

Quote: (08-27-2010 10:27 AM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

Yup - agreed.

Mixx

I actually was considering Miami since the flight is like $161 round-trip from CLT. It would be a nice "training ground", and I've been considering moving to Florida for the last year. I travel solo a lot but I was hoping to meet up with some guys from the forum and get properly introduced to South Beach. Looks like Mixx and others will be in Periera that week. I've read everything posted on Miami, but any rec's on specific places to stay and clubs that are a must? Of course the Delano, but what else?

Quote: (08-27-2010 02:04 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

"West coast: Costa Rica?, Antigua, Guatemala if you want to pick up on a steady stream of backpackers."

Its kind of funny, most people don't realize that you have to fly from the west coast, then to the east coast, and then down to go to Costa Rica. (I am not saying that you, specifically, don't know this Hydro, you obviously know what's up, just making a point).

ha..no, please correct me. That's why I put a question mark there. I was just taking a stab at CR being a good solution for him. I know guys here, maybe even yourself, have recommended it. That's funny about what you say about CRs location, as I haven't looked at a map in a while. Time to pull it out. I was under the impression that it was convenient to California similar to Mexico, just further South. I can recommend Guatamala as a destination though, but maybe not for this guys needs. I'm not sure how much of a city he's looking for.

Quote: (08-27-2010 02:04 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

That is one thing that sucks about the west coast, it is hard to do "close" travel. (except Las Vegas.)

This is the main reason that I have chosen not to plant roots in CA or Las Vegas, even though I could live in the nicest areas no problem. They would both be a huge improvement over my current location, but I feel like my S.A. ambitions would be put on the back burner.

Quote: (08-27-2010 01:40 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Easy coast, if you want cheap, go to D.R., P.R., or Colombia.

West coast: Costa Rica?, Antigua, Guatemala if you want to pick up on a steady stream of backpackers.

Nightlife is a huge question mark as far as what your talking about. For me, nightlife equals available alcohol and women. That could be in a dive beach bar or anywhere. To others, they need a packed club to feel like they are participating in nightlife.

I'm East Coast. The consensus seems to be just what you said, D.R., P.R., or Columbia and maybe Costa Rica. In terms of nightlife, I prefer an area with lots of smaller bars/clubs as opposed to 1 or 2 packed clubs. I'm more concerned about the consistency of the nightlife and being able to communicate on some level in English with people other than tourists. Is this possible in Colombia? Which city would you recommend?

Miami would be dope, but to do it "properly" nice hotel, restaurants, night clubs, alcohol, etc., you might end up spending as much as going to a more 3rd worldly country (Colombia, Mexico, D.R., etc.), please correct me if I'm wrong. Dominican Republic sounds cool, but from what everyone says it sounds like you'll need extra sharp game and Spanish to pull non-pro action there. Costa Rica is cool, I wasn't into the game and was clueless with women when I went (I was 20 at the time) and wasn't focused on partying/picking up so much, so I couldn't really say how gaming is there.

I will say that there are some very, very hot Costa Rican women, but my impression was that they weren't as keen to hook-up with gringos as say in Colombia or Brazil, also C.R. is basically the number one tourist destination for Americans after Mexico, so it's pretty heavily saturated. Tourist action with traveling bohemian backpacker type chicks is probably pretty easy if you're into that, and also if you're a surfer there are definitely babes I saw basically just watching the surfers, waiting to get swooped. One thing about C.R. is that English is spoken every where there, and I basically got by w/o knowing any more than "hola, adios, gracias, etc.) If you do go I'd reccomend Puerto Viejo or Tamarindo, but both aren't big towns with huge club scenes, which you'll find in San Jose, but San Jose is a shit hole with nothing to do IMHO.

Final thought about C.R. it's closer to the east Coast, because of way the the Central American "sub-continent") curves away from west coast towards the Carribean. Guatemala is fucking awesome, but not a destination to party and pick up women. No offense, but I'm not a fan of the east coast, especially everything south of NYC, except for maybe Miami or Atlanta, I think it's totally worth it to live on the west coast if you can. If I were you I'd go to Colombia, or Playa Del Carmen on the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico.

Check out Trinidad, non stop from NY and Miami

Quote: (08-27-2010 07:10 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Miami would be dope, but to do it "properly" nice hotel, restaurants, night clubs, alcohol, etc., you might end up spending as much as going to a more 3rd worldly country (Colombia, Mexico, D.R., etc.), please correct me if I'm wrong.

My sentiments exactly. I wouldn't mind staying at a hostel or cheap hotel in Colombia, but I would never do the same in Miami.

Quote:Quote:

Dominican Republic sounds cool, but from what everyone says it sounds like you'll need extra sharp game and Spanish to pull non-pro action there.

I agree. Not looking to spend my first trip avoiding pros nonstop. Sounds stressful.

Costa Rica is cool, I wasn't into the game and was clueless with women when I went (I was 20 at the time) and wasn't focused on partying/picking up so much, so I couldn't really say how gaming is there.

I will say that there are some very, very hot Costa Rican women, but my impression was that they weren't as keen to hook-up with gringos as say in Colombia or Brazil, also C.R. is basically the number one tourist destination for Americans after Mexico, so it's pretty heavily saturated. Tourist action with traveling bohemian backpacker type chicks is probably pretty easy if you're into that, and also if you're a surfer there are definitely babes I saw basically just watching the surfers, waiting to get swooped. One thing about C.R. is that English is spoken every where there, and I basically got by w/o knowing any more than "hola, adios, gracias, etc.) If you do go I'd reccomend Puerto Viejo or Tamarindo, but both aren't big towns with huge club scenes, which you'll find in San Jose, but San Jose is a shit hole with nothing to do IMHO.

Great Info. This is what I need. Can anyone else share their opinion on C.R. as well?

No offense, but I'm not a fan of the east coast, especially everything south of NYC, except for maybe Miami or Atlanta, I think it's totally worth it to live on the west coast if you can.

No offense taken.

If I were you I'd go to Colombia, or Playa Del Carmen on the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico.

Thanks. Both are solid choices.

There are as many or maybe more pros in Costa Rica as there are in DR. In fact, hoeing is such a money maker in Costa Rica that you'll find a lot of Dominicans doing God's work in San Jose and Jaco. However, I wouldn't worry too much about the Putas, there are plenty of easy European and American ass to be had in either place. Also, being White helps in a lot of places in Latin America but not in overly tourist places like CR and DR because those places have been invaded by Hawaiian shirt clad chancletas wearing with socks Gringos for more than a quarter century now.