rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Military ousts Morsy in Egypt coup

Morsy, the President of Egypt, just got ousted in a coup d'état:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/03/egypt-live-blog/

This shit is like ancient Rome. The generals are on TV talking for the government.

[Image: 130703142520-14-egypt-0703-horizontal-gallery.jpg]

Let's hope the egyptian people don't screw it up the next time an election comes around. I'm not optimistic though - their economy is nearing bankruptcy and there is no tourist money to save them.

So within two years of overthrowing Mubarak, the military now ousts this guy? Egypt is heading towards an even tighter Islamic government or maybe even a failed state if this keeps up. As ao85 said tourism is almost dead in Egypt and their economy is in shambles. Need to get their shit together.

[Image: 6a00d8341c60bf53ef017d4072b0a8970c-600wi]

Egypt needs an Ataturk-type guy to take control. I have a sneaking suspicion that the only people available are small-minded men who are more interested in lining their pockets and with power rather than the welfare of the Egyptian people and building a stable and prosperous nation. I'm glad I was there while Mubarak was in charge, had a great time.

We need a uprising in Australia too, or at least a election date set, the people have had a gut full of the ALP, time to go Dudd

"Lifes about, shooting your load"

There is no justification for any military coup. Everybody in Egypt has lost today. It seems like the problem is not the Morsi's policies carrying out, Tahrir just don't demand an Islamist government. As long as they can manage keeping religion out of politics, everything will turn out to be ok however I wonder how could be the election make it all any better since majority of the people have religious tendencies.

How unlikely is it they'll ever get tourism going again while the gubmint is the "Muslim Brotherhood"? Anyone with Mideast living experience know how that plays with Europeans?

FINALLY. Things can at last look up for Egypt, Morsi was just another pawn, the arabs need to obliterate the Muslim Brotherhood, for their own sake!

"Christian love bears evil, but it does not tolerate it. It does penance for the sins of others, but it is not broadminded about sin. Real love involves real hatred: whoever has lost the power of moral indignation and the urge to drive the sellers from temples has also lost a living, fervent love of Truth."

- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

The news is refusing to give context. Only focusing on the (impressive) images of the protests. If anybody has been following this story from the start (Arab Spring) you could of see this coming. The Arab Spring was not real, nor was the backlash as big as this. Egyptians are pissed off since they got played like dupes (twice). The M-Brotherhood, Morssi, etc were all Western stooges and never had any real intention to truly govern. They love the formalities but could never get any concrete policy in place.

The military has been sitting licking its chops, waiting for the M-Brotherhood to flop. If people think they army will have daisies and democracy on the other end they are smoking that good stuff. The Army will put the clamp down and cool down the over radical Islamic tones present in the country now, but "democracy" won't be on the table going forward for some time. Can legit candidates come to the fold? Whom would want that job right now with radical creeps, western whores, and the military chilling hovering over your shoulders.

This was a major chess piece of Hillary Clinton also. The State Dept was the soft hand behind the Arab Spring as a policy push to radicalize and fracture many Arab states. It's all coming back to to implode.

Quote: (07-03-2013 05:43 PM)signoria Wrote:  

There is no justification for any military coup.

You mean in this particular case or in general? Because I can think of plenty of justifications for military coups.

Rather than encouraging democracy this guarantees that democracy in Egypt is now doomed. Every single democratically elected leader will now have to look out to the support of the military for his legitimacy because the precedent of the military overthrowing the government is now set, the military will once again become the most powerful branch of the government.

I think that staging a military coup to design societies is not a correct thing in the 21st century, and it shouldn’t be accepted. I hope that democracy will triumph soon and whoever take the charge, won't be ignoring the people's demands.

We have the same problem in Turkey. We seem like a totally democratic and secular country. The PM who got the power for more than 10 years have been deaf and ignoring the minorities voice. That's why the protests occurred in Turkey. Democracy doesn't mean that 'I have the majority of the votes, so I do what I want'. They have to listen people' voice!

Crude oil futures just broke $100 a barrel following the coup. Zerohedge has been efficient in covering this, and it's fascinating to see how since 2011 oil hitting $3.80 a gallon has been followed by a massive drop in S&P's 500 valuation. Relations with Egypt will be tense until it's clear that the new regime won't close the Suez Canal.

I normally wouldn't approve of military coups, but this is isn't Caesar violating posse commitatus and overthrowing the republic, this is the Egyptian military aligning itself with the people to overthrow White House-approved puppet dictators who won fraudulent elections, which is what both Mabarak and Morsi were. The Egyptians have been disenfranchised for long enough, now they have another shot.

Quote:Quote:

I think that staging a military coup to design societies is not a correct thing in the 21st century, and it shouldn’t be accepted. I hope that democracy will triumph soon and whoever take the charge, won't be ignoring the people's demands.

We have the same problem in Turkey. We seem like a totally democratic and secular country. The PM who got the power for more than 10 years have been deaf and ignoring the minorities voice. That's why the protests occurred in Turkey. Democracy doesn't mean that 'I have the majority of the votes, so I do what I want'. They have to listen people' voice!

May I ask whether any of the demonstrations are concerning foreign policy? Erdogan is committed to his anti-Assad position so the U.S. and NATO has a vested interest in having him stay in power, since Syria is bound by mutual defense treaty to Iran, which is threatening the petrodollar through its oil bourse and is sending 4,000 troops to aid Assad.

The presstitute media in the U.S. has been essentially silent on the Turkey demonstrations, and the few sources I've been able to read have mostly covered the actions of the police like arresting doctors for treating injured protestors, and not so much the demands and desired changes the people are seeking.

Quote: (07-03-2013 11:11 PM)SexualHarrasmentPanda Wrote:  

Rather than encouraging democracy this guarantees that democracy in Egypt is now doomed. Every single democratically elected leader will now have to look out to the support of the military for his legitimacy because the precedent of the military overthrowing the government is now set, the military will once again become the most powerful branch of the government.

It is interesting what is defined as democracy. I think the muslim brotherhood got elected because the secular/liberal/moderate candidates split the vote while the conservatives consolidated around one candidate. Conservatives in general are better at doing this.

Egypt is pretty much in a fucked though.

They are becoming an oil importer.

[Image: egypt-oil-production-and-consumption-v2.png]

They have a big and growing population and import food. Tourism used to employ around 12% of the workforce and is down 40-50%. Their government debt is rising and cash reserves are dwindling. At least with Morsi out maybe they will get more international aid and investment, but it will take a while and is basically dependent on a moderate getting elected.

Syria was facing similar economics with their energy exports going down and food prices going up.

Muslim Brotherhood is bullshit. The only reason Morsi won was because MB was the only organized party. They were even organized while Mubarak was in power, even as he created a political system in which his power could never be threatened. Egyptians didn't have much of a choice after Mubarak stepped down. Everything happened so fast and MB was the only group ready to move in. But now everyone knows that the current regime isn't what they signed up for. MB is continuing Mubarak's style of governance and reaping all of the benefits they have long sought, at the expense of the Egyptian people and their tanking economy. The coup presents new problems but at least the people are behind it and all the big stakeholders (non-MB sunnis, christians, shia, and seculars) are in support as well.

Quote: (07-05-2013 02:03 AM)CactusCat589 Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

May I ask whether any of the demonstrations are concerning foreign policy? Erdogan is committed to his anti-Assad position so the U.S. and NATO has a vested interest in having him stay in power, since Syria is bound by mutual defense treaty to Iran, which is threatening the petrodollar through its oil bourse and is sending 4,000 troops to aid Assad.

The presstitute media in the U.S. has been essentially silent on the Turkey demonstrations, and the few sources I've been able to read have mostly covered the actions of the police like arresting doctors for treating injured protestors, and not so much the demands and desired changes the people are seeking.

There're a lot of reasons of these protests. Foreign policy is one of them. Protestors including myself are generally unhappy with Erdogan's Neo-Islamist social agenda and his incremental autocratic style each passing day. They undermined the secularist influence of the Turkish army by putting generals in jail. Over the last decade, there's been restrictions on human rights, most notably freedom of speech and freedom of press.(Turkey has jailed more journalists more than any country in the world) The government's stance on the civil war in Syria is another cause of social tension. Because Erdogan's policy on Syria made Turkish cities a camp area for murderers, rapists and terrorists. We also had the deadliest single act of terrorism to occur on Turkish soil. This is unacceptable. I mean how could a PM expose his own countries door to bring its people danger?

The funny thing is that we couldn't even saw such things on our media. They didn't show anything. It's so sad for the name of democracy in Turkey while CNN Turk is broadcasting a documentary on penguins, CNN International was showing live coverage of the protests. What people demand is simply more freedom and democracy. A free media to act in ethical and professional way. The right of people to express their needs and complaints withouth experiencing fear, arrest or torture. End of police brutality. End of any restrictions. No intervention to any life-style and a more considirate PM who doesn't name his own people as loopers, drunks, terrorists, or heathen. All his actions and statements is about to seperate his own people.

Quote: (07-03-2013 03:59 PM)Menace Wrote:  

Egypt needs an Ataturk-type guy to take control. I have a sneaking suspicion that the only people available are small-minded men who are more interested in lining their pockets and with power rather than the welfare of the Egyptian people and building a stable and prosperous nation. I'm glad I was there while Mubarak was in charge, had a great time.

The country was better with Mubarak? I also believe that some countries should be ruled by militars till they build a more stable society with well educated middle class

U.S. interests in the region were best fulfilled under the secular leadership of Hosni Mubarak. A democracy in any of these islamic countries is only going to lead to an islamist state. Salafism, the radical wing of islam that is most responsible for terrorism, is quite often a big backer of the revolutions that lead to these islamic states and is likely to spread if more such states are established. Anti-American sentiment is always highest in such states.