rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Undershirts Master Thread

So after getting a couple messages about fashion and seeing the subject being debated across the forum, I thought I'd make a thread to settle it once and for all: undershirts - what they are, why wear them, and what to wear (styles, colors, etc...).

For starters, an undershirt is any shirt worn underneath a dress shirt. It can be worn for warmth, to make a shirt less see-thru, or to prevent a dress shirt from getting sweaty and smelling terrible at the end of the day. They typically have short sleeves, but can be longer if worn for the sake of an extra layer of insulation in the cold.

My understanding is that undershirts typically need to follow the shirt going over it in terms of color; light colors under light colors, darks under darks. An undershirt with writing on it is going to be visible under a lighter coloured shirt, which should probably be avoided if you can help it. Wearing a clashing color will draw plenty of looks, so be ready if you're going to rock different colors.

Now I turn the questions over to you guys:
What are you wearing in terms of undershirts? T-shirts? V-necks? Underarmor? Wife beaters? Nothing at all?
Are t-shirts really a no-no?
What do you wear/suggest wearing undershirts with?
Should they ever be visible? Why/why not?
Any advice/suggestions you have on undershirts?

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

I wear Costco Kirkland brand white T's every day under my shirt and tie at work. The thick fabric hides the tattoos so they don't show through the dress shirt. Plus they are long cut so my shirt stays tucked in nice. If I'm suiting up to go out on the town, I wear a wife beater.

I like deep v neck white undershirts on the smaller side, because they dont show, I hate when my white undershirts show. Gap makes them. 2Xist makes them too but they are pricey.

This ribbed tank top by Uniqlo is what I use when I want to hide my tats under a white dress shirt. Quality is very good for it's price, looks better and lasts longer than kmart / ross equivalent and keeps you warm in excessively air-conditioned offices.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/lifewear/...rch%2Ftank

Quote: (06-25-2013 12:15 PM)Osiris Wrote:  

Capt Power is the expert on undershirt + dress shirts combos. [Image: smile.gif]

All I know is you look like a herb if it's showing. I don't want to see it poking out, it looks like an apology for your masculinity.

Worst I ever saw was in Florida. The guy had his buttons done up and was wearing a tie, and i could still see his T shirt! What a loser.

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

I wear an undershirt most times I wear a dress shirt, and depending on how much of a fuck I give, I either select a V-neck (3 pack on sale at Kohl's or whatever) or a regular T-shirt, round neck. My dress shirts are thick enough that I don't worry about the t-shirt showing through.

Wife beater at all times unless it's too hot.

My first consideration: I want to be able to wear a shirt more than once, though on non-consecutive days, before it's headed for the laundry. An undershirt helps by catching the sweat.

Second considerations: I do not want the undershirt to be visible as I like to unbutton two, instead of just one, top buttons to show my manly chest hair. A T-shirt would mostly likely show in this scenario.

Third consideration: comfort. A wife beater already provides enough insulation against low temperatures, a T-shirt wouldn't add much to that.

Please note that on most days I go with a high/low combo of jeans with an either dress or casual shirt with long sleeves and a jacket.

Never worn an undershirt iny life, must be an American thing, dress shirt on skin then throw in the wash after.

Wore a crew-neck undershirt because all my v-necks were dirty.

Was that beta?

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

What are you wearing in terms of undershirts? T-shirts? V-necks? Underarmor? Wife beaters? Nothing at all?
What do you wear/suggest wearing undershirts with?

I wear v-necks from American Apparel, usually white but I have a few coloured ones that I love. The quality is top notch and they wash well. In the winter time I will wear them under shirts or sweaters and in the summer I wear them on there own.
I also have a few deep v-necks, yes I can be a douche bag sometimes.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

Wait, teekay you want your chest hair to show? Are you Austin Powers?

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

I would never under and circumstances wear an undershirt under a dress shirt.

Aight Mike, why not?

I wear undershirts/T-shirts under all of my shirts except when wearing a thick t-shirt for hot weather. About 95% of time, my undershirts are V-neck. I only wear a crew-neck undershirt if I am wearing a shirt that I know will hide the undershirt and/or I am all out of clean v-neck undershirts.

Quote: (06-25-2013 07:34 PM)Osiris Wrote:  

Aight Mike, why not?

1. It looks dorky.

2. It adds bulk to your shape. I wear athletic cut shirts since I have a taper from my shoulder to waist. Even in a shirt you can tell I train. Undershirts destroy that effect.

3. It's not needed. Get better quality shirts, softer shirts if the shirt irritates your skin. Put baking soda under your pits if you don't want stinky shirts.

4. You look like every other nerdface with bulky, ill-fitting clothing. When I wear a suit, I intend to stand out. This means having the suit and dress shirts cut properly. (If you buy off the rack and can't afford custom, get your stuff altered at a tailor.)

Well, I have no idea whether you are able to get these in the United States, but the Germans came up with an invisible undershirt that does absolutely not show underneath my shirts:

[Image: 41bd2TaHVhL._SY445_.jpg]

It looks UBER-gay and should not be worn on its own, but it gets the job done. [Image: gay.gif]

I wear Target's "perfect T" v-neck from Hanes. They are tight in the chest and slim at the waste.

Most small shirts from companies are perfect in the chest and length, but the sleeves are too short. These perfect T's get everything right and fit me perfectly. I where these causally with slim jeans and vans when I game. They make my athletic body pop in all the right places (chest/arms).

Pro tip: Quit wearing white undershirts and white socks

-Wear dark blues, blacks, and greys.

I been wearing undershirts since (and because of) Menace II Society.
As for rocking dress shirts,

I used to rock white crew cut t-shirts, but they tend to be so white they "shine" underneath whatever you're wearing (esp. a white dress shirt)

Switched to Grey per some GQ style guide, so I don't get that look any more.

During the summer, it's grey wife beaters/marinas under dress shirts, but they actually don't serve any purpose - I guess it's just habit.

Nowadays I'm less likely to wear a wifebeater/undershirt cause I recognize how warm they make me.

WIA

The only way to wear an undershirt is on its own, if you can pull it off, that is.

But don't take my word for it.

[Image: Steve%20McQueen.jpg]

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Found an 'invisible' undershirt that's sold in the US.

http://www.collectedthreads.com/

[Image: Maxim-Magazine-Invisible-Undershirt-jT-b...hreads.JPG]

Here's a story. I first came to DC for a grad program and right before classes they held a welcome reception on the roof of the Hotel Washington, which is now the W. It's a roof, so the AC didnt do all that much. This was towards the end of August and DC is a swamp, literally. You could tell who all the guys from Cali were, because they were the guys who had completely sweat through their shirts.

I've noticed that lots of guys from the west coast and from Europe are completely anti-undershirt. In NY during a heat wave or DC all summer, you're looking at temperatures and humidity into the 90s. And remember, we dont go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned office. If you're a light sweater you may be able to get away with just a dress shirt, but anyone else will will be a mess after a ten minute walk outside.

If I go out at night, I usually don't wear an undershirt, but I couldn't make it through a work day without one. One trick, if you're going out after work is to wear the undershirt to work and then take it off before you leave. You look better and your stays fresher because you wore te undershirt during the day.

Another trick to avoid t-shirt showing under dress shirts is to try gray or black. Depending on your skin color, gray or black will show a lot less than a white one.

There are a lot of undershirt options available. From crew necks to a shirts to v necks with varying length to slim cut to lightweight.

I agree that a crew neck showing with an open button down or other shirts with an open collar, e.g. polo shirts, creates a visual distraction.

If you can afford taking your shirts to get dry cleaned, or don't mind cleaning them yourself, then I wouldn't an undershirt.

If you're worried about sweating through your dress shirt and having it show in public, use Certain Dri.

http://www.amazon.com/Certain-Dri-Roll-O...ertain+dri

...Armpits used to drip like crazy and create unpleasant stains - I use this before bed and now only sweat heavily when working out or playing basketball.

Quote: (06-26-2013 04:20 AM)Mr. Cameltoe Wrote:  

Well, I have no idea whether you are able to get these in the United States, but the Germans came up with an invisible undershirt that does absolutely not show underneath my shirts:

[Image: 41bd2TaHVhL._SY445_.jpg]

It looks UBER-gay and should not be worn on its own, but it gets the job done. [Image: gay.gif]

Are there any brands in the US that have "low neck line" or "deep neck cut" in normal under shirts and/ or also in thermal under shirts (for nights out in cold cities where you take off the coats/ jackets once inside the clubs)?

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63

try tommy john and ribbed tee for deeper cut vnecks, although both can be a little pricey