rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Starting a business

Starting a business

Excuse the unorganized post, I'm on an extreme lack of sleep and stressed out.

Can anyone help me with just a few tips on starting some sort of consulting business in the US? The only purpose for this is so a Canadian company can contract my business while they push for my work visa. I am having a ton of trouble finding information on this because everything I find is steps on how to have a succsesful business. All I need is a legal business for them to pay. I want to say F it but the money is extremely good.

They want me on the work site by the 2nd week of July.

I dont have the slightest clue what I'm doing here

How long will it take me to start the most basic business? Is there even enough time? Who do I contact?

Starting a business

Is doing this much easier in Canadia than the USA because the company seems to think this is no big deal.

Starting a business

American?

- get yourself a taxpayer identification # - I got one through my bank, took 5 minutes. Free
- set up an LLC in your state - You can do this online easy peasy.
- talk to an accountant to make sure the money they pay your business is taxed properly,

kaching.

WIA

Starting a business

Quote: (06-20-2013 08:13 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

American?

- get yourself a taxpayer identification # - I got one through my bank, took 5 minutes. Free
- set up an LLC in your state - You can do this online easy peasy.
- talk to an accountant to make sure the money they pay your business is taxed properly,

kaching.

WIA

And you may need to set up a business account at your bank, explain your situation, and they should be accommodating. In fact, you may want to shop around to see who will give you the best deal.

This should take all of an afternoon, but I'd do it ASAP.

WIA

Starting a business

Quote: (06-20-2013 05:18 PM)Jaydublin Wrote:  

Is doing this much easier in Canadia than the USA because the company seems to think this is no big deal.

Nope Canada doesn't have LLC, and it's rather easier to set one up online in the US via Legal Zoom. Much much easier to start one in the states than in Canada.

Starting a business

Check the states website to see if you can do it yourself online.

I set up my LLC myself on Wisconsin's. No need to pay someone else to do it if the option is available.

Starting a business

Thanks a ton for the help guys. I was in near meltdown mode due to lack of sleep. So an llc is all I should need. That should be easy enough. Ill search up legal zoom tonight and I shouldn't need a tax Id since it's just me.

Only think is it won't be taxed money. I'll have to pay Canadian taxes on it down the road so I'm not sure how the treaty works with USA-Canada in regards to business. It's a Canadian company and the job is in Mexico.

Starting a business

redacted

Starting a business

WIA. But aren't their treatys? I know what your talking about but also I believe if I pay a foreign government tax(depending on the country) I am exempt from paying in the US. Of course all depending on the situation, countries, amount. I know I won't have to pay full income tax in both countries.

But definitely on the tax professional, in both countries will be necessary.

Starting a business

Since it takes a few weeks to get an EIN has anybody ever just had their payments sent to a personal bank account? It sucks that I'm living far from my hometown and don't really know any CPAs here in this state.

Starting a business

Quote: (06-20-2013 11:35 PM)Jaydublin Wrote:  

WIA. But aren't their treatys? I know what your talking about but also I believe if I pay a foreign government tax(depending on the country) I am exempt from paying in the US. Of course all depending on the situation, countries, amount. I know I won't have to pay full income tax in both countries.

But definitely on the tax professional, in both countries will be necessary.

Uncle Sam always gets his money somehow, if you're a citizen.

But definitely talk to a Tax Guy. It's worth the 100 or so bucks to not have to end up paying 1,000s.

WIA

Starting a business

Quote: (06-20-2013 11:52 PM)Jaydublin Wrote:  

Since it takes a few weeks to get an EIN has anybody ever just had their payments sent to a personal bank account? It sucks that I'm living far from my hometown and don't really know any CPAs here in this state.

It should take 5 minutes, took me 5 Minutes @ Chase. It's a website and they generate the # and print you out a sheet. You may even be able to do it on your own.

WIA