rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Eating right while travelling

Any tips on how to go about getting the best food available when you are travelling?

I have been putting a lot of effort into eating healthy, organic food, wild caught fish, grass fed beef etc. I don't want to lose all that when I hit the road, or at the very least I want to minimize having to eat bad food.

How do you year round travellers manage that?

Only way is to cook for yourself. Stay at hostels with kitchens and frequent the local markets. Dont know about grain fed beef but no doubt you'll get great fish and veges.

Quote: (08-07-2010 08:56 AM)DevoLach Wrote:  

Only way is to cook for yourself. Stay at hostels with kitchens and frequent the local markets. Dont know about grain fed beef but no doubt you'll get great fish and veges.

Yeah, I think it is very dependent on the country as well. I am not a big beef eater anyway. Mostly I eat eggs, wild caught salmon, organic chicken, beans and fruits and vegetables.

Ask the locals places where you can buy fresh veggies. In Br, the best place to buy fruit and greens is the Street Market. Try to go around 11am, when starts to pop the "sales" (or, as we say, a hora da xepa)

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

This is a good thread. I gained a ton of weight in Hong Kong and Manila in only ten days.

My face is puffy and I have a hard time sitting down in my pants.

Unacceptable.

I will be rocking the Bikram Yoga all week. Nothing has given me better results so quickly in my life.

As long as I can avoid getting sick from foreign food, I won't complain. I remember traveling with a buddy in Thailand and he was taking down for 3 days. Diarrhea, puking, fever. He was a wreck. My stomach felt pretty messed up for several days when I first got to Brazil.

"Any tips on how to go about getting the best food available when you are travelling?"

Find the markets. I always visit the markets in other countries, for food and the cultural experience.

I haven't seen much "organic" food outside the US... yet.

However, a good way to eat abroad if you don't want to cook is to find the self-serve places that charge per kilo. That way you know what you're getting and you avoid the crappy crap that restaurants throw on your plate when you try to order healthy.