rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Sheffield, England- Data Sheet

Thought I'd bang this out, for UK players, and any Americans who fancy visiting an authentic 2nd tier English city.

[redacted]....Anyway, Sheffield is a 2nd tier city in Yorkshire, England. Side note - the working class people here talk like Ned Stark, which is understandable considering Sean Bean hails from this part of the world, and is a fanatic about one of the city's two football teams.

[Image: 24506673.jpg]

Anyway, I recently revisited this city for two nights out in the last month. I was also around in the day, but didn't daygame as I was having a nostalgic wander around some familiar places. Obviously some places have changed since I resided there, and these two nights were sufficient for me to be able to give solid info.

Obviously, Sheffield is a student city, and as such has lots of young girls. There are two Universities here, one is Sheffield University and the other is Sheffield Hallam. The two universities differ in that one is what one may call a 'proper' uni, whilst the other is a former Polytechnic, or, 'new' uni. I went to the latter, or 'new' one, as I also did in Oxford. The majority of students in the city, attending either uni, are Northern. I don't think Sheffield has the same pull as say a Manchester or Liverpool (or Edinburgh for that matter) does for the Southern crowd. There is the odd exception and you do get a fair few foreign students. Spanish mainly. I mean from Spain, not 'Hispanic' or 'Latino' or other such nonsense (sorry, that was an 'in joke' for speakeasy [Image: wink.gif] )

Being a Northern 2nd tier city there are also the local girls, who are often uncouth, loud and yes indeed, easy. You will find a plethora of underclass single mothers living exclusively off welfare, jobless men stumbling in and out of pubs in the mid afternoon etc. However, avoid these types and you'll be fine. This is standard for any British city I think.

For the student venues, on weeknights you'll need a student I.D, so for the very much younger guys reading this, you're good to go, for the rest of us, there's no point in me going into much detail. For the same venues, at weekends, the clientele shifts into a 50/50 of students and locals. These nights offer less attractive women in terms of ratio, but a higher chance of securing a SNL with a dirty local. Haha. During my time in Sheffield as a student (years before game), I had dalliances with both. Put it this way, it's a lot better to go home with a student, and waking up in Halls of Residence, than in some grotty council estate when you've got a horrid hangover. In Sheffield, those places are grim.

Game

Standard Western game works fine here. Obviously alter that for foreign students, but cocky/funny 'arrogant' game is your best way to go here.

Daygame
OK, the city centre itself isn't great for daygame, however venture slightly out of the centre and head for Ecclesall Road, a very lively street where both sets of students hang out. It has a variety of bars, and one of the Hallam campuses is located just off it. Bear in mind, this is a small city, so when I say out of the centre I'm talking a mile or so. Other places for daygame would be the Meadow Hall shopping centre, a huge indoor complex a short car/bus away from the city. The West Street area is also full of students, however this is better at night where 'street game' at night is very fruitful. I'll discuss this later. There are transport links to neighboring places, however if you're here for a short stay, there's nothing worth venturing for. There are the Blue John Caverns, but that's about it.

Pre-Night out

To begin the night, in my student days, we would usually catch a footie match in a place called The Old Monk. It was midweek and it was a fucking great place to socialize and watch the game on the huge projector screen. When I went there recently, it was still the same, although it was a weekend and the nostalgia wasn't enough for me to declare it as brilliant as I once did. That said, I would still recommend it as it has a good range of beers, some sourced locally, and a lively atmosphere. It has an older crowd on weekends, in comparison to weekdays, but it is located very close to the main nightclubs so I would still recommend it. It's not like you need a student card to get in on weekdays, so if you're ever in the city on a weekday, especially if there is a big game on, check it out.

[Image: dsc00658.jpg?w=630]

Other places to go would be the aforementioned Ecclesall Road or West Street, which has a variety of bars to cater to a wide array of tastes. Street game is excellent here, as due to it's close proximity to the clubs, you can catch girls moving bar to bar or on their way to the larger venues. There's also a cool little pub called the 'Royal Standard', however I mention this place out of loyalty to it rather than through any objective recommendation on it's ability to provide girls.

Night

Ok, Sheffield used to have 2 signature nightclubs, one being 'Kingdom' and the other the legendary 'Gatecrasher'. However, Gatecrasher burned down (don't know how) back in '07 I think, and Kingdom is now called 'Embrace'. Embrace is where I found myself a few weeks ago. There are the 'second string' nightclubs too: 'Corporation', 'Leadmill' and 'Plug'. Feel free to add any more below if you know of any.

Corporation is a more dingy affair, catering to students both on weekdays and weekends, probably best to be avoided if you're looking for educated and classy - if you want young students and bohemian types it's a great bet. It does however, also have frequent live music acts which make it popular for non-students. If you're a student and you can go on a 'School Disco night', it's epic though.

[Image: 123.jpg]

Leadmill was always a favorite of mine. Very, very studenty, although has live bands often, and non-students can go on weekends as far as I'm aware. I won't go into it, as my knowledge is based on experiences years ago and as a student.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTns76BrN71Ijr1CroRqwo...8Mm-d40Avg]

[Image: l.jpg]

Plug is slightly more 'upmarket' in its decor, but not in terms of the clientele. Just your standard nightclub. Three rooms, all playing separate styles of music. I'd recommend the large room, very busy and when the lights come up at the end of the night, you're almost guaranteed to be able to swoop someone. Very centrally located, and if you're staying near Matilda Street, this is the venue I would recommend.

Now, we reach Embrace - Massive place, several floors, different type of music. However, in the Rap/R&B room, fights often break out so be on your guard. If you can't pull on a weekend in this place, then either your standards are too high, or you're not taking advantage of the atmosphere. Tons and tons of horny students, along with locals make this the main nightclub in the city. It's where I ended up on both my nights recently and it resulted in 2 SNL's. One with a History student, one with a 24 year old PR girl.

[Image: 2931405_13341c7f.jpg]

[Image: EMBRACE.jpg]

Obviously, outside of these places, there are tons of bars you can go to. However, too many for me to go into detail about. Like I said, keep to West Street and Ecclesall Road and you can't go wrong. Sheffield is a strange one, as it has a huge number of attractive student girls from across the North of England, yet the working-class locals are particularly ghastly in most cases. Forgive my snobbery. It is a huge student town, as I mentioned previously, so I would recommend visiting it during term time only. As with most British cities, drunkenness means trouble is never far around the corner, whether it be students or locals - you're guaranteed to see a fight at some point during the night. It's usually propagated by the folks from the Lowedges area, best avoided. As is the case with Universities in Britain, a lot of the students shouldn't really be students, but the Labour government encouraged everyone to go to Uni, my point being - this isn't Cambridge. The 'students' from Hallam are often doing crappy degrees and aren't much different from the locals.

All in all though, it's a cool city. Authentically 'Northern'. If you're from overseas, I'd place Leeds higher on a 'go to' list if you're in the Yorkshire area, but if you're in the North West for a very short time, I'd say put the mileage in and go to Manchester as it is much bigger and much better. If you wan't to sink really low though, I mean really, really low, then head for the hellhole that is Liverpool.

Typical Liverpool suburb:

[Image: 62078d1250534196-iny-idea-where-banking-...oxteth.jpg]

(Only joking Matt!) [Image: grouphug.gif]

P.S Anyone who wishes to add to this, go ahead!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Quote: (06-08-2013 03:32 PM)Teedub Wrote:  

Thought I'd bang this out, for UK players, and any Americans who fancy visiting an authentic 2nd tier English city.

[redacted]....Anyway, Sheffield is a 2nd tier city in Yorkshire, England. Side note - the working class people here talk like Ned Stark, which is understandable considering Sean Bean hails from this part of the world, and is a fanatic about one of the city's two football teams.

[Image: 24506673.jpg]

Anyway, I recently revisited this city for two nights out in the last month. I was also around in the day, but didn't daygame as I was having a nostalgic wander around some familiar places. Obviously some places have changed since I resided there, and these two nights were sufficient for me to be able to give solid info.

Obviously, Sheffield is a student city, and as such has lots of young girls. There are two Universities here, one is Sheffield University and the other is Sheffield Hallam. The two universities differ in that one is what one may call a 'proper' uni, whilst the other is a former Polytechnic, or, 'new' uni. I went to the latter, or 'new' one, as I also did in Oxford. The majority of students in the city, attending either uni, are Northern. I don't think Sheffield has the same pull as say a Manchester or Liverpool (or Edinburgh for that matter) does for the Southern crowd. There is the odd exception and you do get a fair few foreign students. Spanish mainly. I mean from Spain, not 'Hispanic' or 'Latino' or other such nonsense (sorry, that was an 'in joke' for speakeasy [Image: wink.gif] )

Being a Northern 2nd tier city there are also the local girls, who are often uncouth, loud and yes indeed, easy. You will find a plethora of underclass single mothers living exclusively off welfare, jobless men stumbling in and out of pubs in the mid afternoon etc. However, avoid these types and you'll be fine. This is standard for any British city I think.

For the student venues, on weeknights you'll need a student I.D, so for the very much younger guys reading this, you're good to go, for the rest of us, there's no point in me going into much detail. For the same venues, at weekends, the clientele shifts into a 50/50 of students and locals. These nights offer less attractive women in terms of ratio, but a higher chance of securing a SNL with a dirty local. Haha. During my time in Sheffield as a student (years before game), I had dalliances with both. Put it this way, it's a lot better to go home with a student, and waking up in Halls of Residence, than in some grotty council estate when you've got a horrid hangover. In Sheffield, those places are grim.

Game

Standard Western game works fine here. Obviously alter that for foreign students, but cocky/funny 'arrogant' game is your best way to go here.

Daygame
OK, the city centre itself isn't great for daygame, however venture slightly out of the centre and head for Ecclesall Road, a very lively street where both sets of students hang out. It has a variety of bars, and one of the Hallam campuses is located just off it. Bear in mind, this is a small city, so when I say out of the centre I'm talking a mile or so. Other places for daygame would be the Meadow Hall shopping centre, a huge indoor complex a short car/bus away from the city. The West Street area is also full of students, however this is better at night where 'street game' at night is very fruitful. I'll discuss this later. There are transport links to neighboring places, however if you're here for a short stay, there's nothing worth venturing for. There are the Blue John Caverns, but that's about it.

Pre-Night out

To begin the night, in my student days, we would usually catch a footie match in a place called The Old Monk. It was midweek and it was a fucking great place to socialize and watch the game on the huge projector screen. When I went there recently, it was still the same, although it was a weekend and the nostalgia wasn't enough for me to declare it as brilliant as I once did. That said, I would still recommend it as it has a good range of beers, some sourced locally, and a lively atmosphere. It has an older crowd on weekends, in comparison to weekdays, but it is located very close to the main nightclubs so I would still recommend it. It's not like you need a student card to get in on weekdays, so if you're ever in the city on a weekday, especially if there is a big game on, check it out.

[Image: dsc00658.jpg?w=630]

Other places to go would be the aforementioned Ecclesall Road or West Street, which has a variety of bars to cater to a wide array of tastes. Street game is excellent here, as due to it's close proximity to the clubs, you can catch girls moving bar to bar or on their way to the larger venues. There's also a cool little pub called the 'Royal Standard', however I mention this place out of loyalty to it rather than through any objective recommendation on it's ability to provide girls.

Night

Ok, Sheffield used to have 2 signature nightclubs, one being 'Kingdom' and the other the legendary 'Gatecrasher'. However, Gatecrasher burned down (don't know how) back in '07 I think, and Kingdom is now called 'Embrace'. Embrace is where I found myself a few weeks ago. There are the 'second string' nightclubs too: 'Corporation', 'Leadmill' and 'Plug'. Feel free to add any more below if you know of any.

Corporation is a more dingy affair, catering to students both on weekdays and weekends, probably best to be avoided if you're looking for educated and classy - if you want young students and bohemian types it's a great bet. It does however, also have frequent live music acts which make it popular for non-students. If you're a student and you can go on a 'School Disco night', it's epic though.

[Image: 123.jpg]

Leadmill was always a favorite of mine. Very, very studenty, although has live bands often, and non-students can go on weekends as far as I'm aware. I won't go into it, as my knowledge is based on experiences years ago and as a student.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTns76BrN71Ijr1CroRqwo...8Mm-d40Avg]

[Image: l.jpg]

Plug is slightly more 'upmarket' in its decor, but not in terms of the clientele. Just your standard nightclub. Three rooms, all playing separate styles of music. I'd recommend the large room, very busy and when the lights come up at the end of the night, you're almost guaranteed to be able to swoop someone. Very centrally located, and if you're staying near Matilda Street, this is the venue I would recommend.

Now, we reach Embrace - Massive place, several floors, different type of music. However, in the Rap/R&B room, fights often break out so be on your guard. If you can't pull on a weekend in this place, then either your standards are too high, or you're not taking advantage of the atmosphere. Tons and tons of horny students, along with locals make this the main nightclub in the city. It's where I ended up on both my nights recently and it resulted in 2 SNL's. One with a History student, one with a 24 year old PR girl.

[Image: 2931405_13341c7f.jpg]

[Image: EMBRACE.jpg]

Obviously, outside of these places, there are tons of bars you can go to. However, too many for me to go into detail about. Like I said, keep to West Street and Ecclesall Road and you can't go wrong. Sheffield is a strange one, as it has a huge number of attractive student girls from across the North of England, yet the working-class locals are particularly ghastly in most cases. Forgive my snobbery. It is a huge student town, as I mentioned previously, so I would recommend visiting it during term time only. As with most British cities, drunkenness means trouble is never far around the corner, whether it be students or locals - you're guaranteed to see a fight at some point during the night. It's usually propagated by the folks from the Lowedges area, best avoided. As is the case with Universities in Britain, a lot of the students shouldn't really be students, but the Labour government encouraged everyone to go to Uni, my point being - this isn't Cambridge. The 'students' from Hallam are often doing crappy degrees and aren't much different from the locals.

All in all though, it's a cool city. Authentically 'Northern'. If you're from overseas, I'd place Leeds higher on a 'go to' list if you're in the Yorkshire area, but if you're in the North West for a very short time, I'd say put the mileage in and go to Manchester as it is much bigger and much better. If you wan't to sink really low though, I mean really, really low, then head for the hellhole that is Liverpool.

Typical Liverpool suburb:

[Image: 62078d1250534196-iny-idea-where-banking-...oxteth.jpg]

(Only joking Matt!) [Image: grouphug.gif]

P.S Anyone who wishes to add to this, go ahead!

Hey Teedub out of interest what would be the equivalent city to Sheffield in the USA?. Your observations about the ridiculous amount of people living off welfare in the UK are very accurate especially in various Northern cities.

Haha you didn't need to quote the whole post to ask a question! I don't know which cities in the U.S would be equivalent, however I'm sure someone like Aliblahba would be able to answer, as he has been to these kind of places in England as an American.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Never been to Sheffield, but it looks worth a visit. I'm willing to bet that there are some parallels that can be drawn between Sheffield and Lancaster, which is the nearest place with a decent club scene to me. (Carlisle isn't too far either, although it's rough as fuck!).

Not been to Sheffield, but I do like the Arctic Monkeys.

Agree that Leeds is higher on the go to list.

I heard Sheffield is a cultural place...or was that 2008 Culture Capital of Europe Liverpool? [Image: wink.gif]

Haha I'll concede Liverpool was indeed the Culture Capital...

Yeah Leeds in great, but I don't know enough about it and haven't been there enough to do a sheet for it. I'd do one for Manchester, but it's already been done. I think I added to it actually.

Yeah, I did: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-6531-p...#pid372112

Liverpool is the best nightlife in the North i would say then again i am biased. Planning to go to Sheffield in a few weeks for a proper night out. I went once but only stayed in the lead mill to watch Hotchip, then went back to a house party instead of seeing what the city had to offer. Look forward to checking a few of these places out, I've heard good things about cheap quad vods in corporation.

If I'm honest, I haven't been on a night out in Liverpool. I've been for a few drinks in the evening, but not a proper night out. I got the impression that the city centre was really small compared to Manchester?

The city center is smaller than manchester but all the clubs and bars are closer so makes for a much more intense night out. The problem i found in Manchester was having to get taxi across the city say from deansgate to the city center which tends to ruin the flow of the night.

Nice data sheet.

I always have a blast when i go to 2nd tier cities in England. Women are so much easier comparing to London and they are also better quality and more feminine.

How did you find them in terms of easiness?

Actually,whats the easy city in England in your opinion? I will go with Leeds. Leeds is so easyyy. I need to visit Leeds when i get back to England.

is Sheff the type of city where local women will bang you at the bus stops ?

I was at Sheffield for half a day in May. It seemed really industrial, but there were lots of students in the city, and the little market and trams are okay for daygame. I have no idea how the nightlife is, but you got it all covered man! I don't think I will have the time to visit Sheffield again, my time in the UK is almost coming to an end, but if I decide to stay here till January, then I'll certainly go back to Sheffield.

Quote: (06-10-2013 04:33 PM)pitt Wrote:  

Nice data sheet.

I always have a blast when i go to 2nd tier cities in England. Women are so much easier comparing to London and they are also better quality and more feminine.

How did you find them in terms of easiness?

Actually,whats the easy city in England in your opinion? I will go with Leeds. Leeds is so easyyy. I need to visit Leeds when i get back to England.

I wouldn't say the locals are more feminine. Perhaps the students though. The locals have adopted all the worst aspects of 'lad' culture, and it's turned them into masculine sluts. Well, a large proportion. Where else in England have you been, where the girls were really feminine, please tell!

Quote: (06-10-2013 05:09 PM)GameTheory Wrote:  

is Sheff the type of city where local women will bang you at the bus stops ?

Yep. Haha, you love that aspect of British life! [Image: banana.gif]

I would never even consider going to England for women.

Just as I wouldn't ever consider going to Belgium. For anything.

Apart from to protest against the EU! [Image: wink.gif]

Belgium is great if you go just for the beer, the trappist beers are the shit.

I was just messing around, he dissed England - I was doing my bit [Image: wink.gif]

I'm really curious as to if American guys have any advantage/disadvantage in England. If it's just the sake of being from somewhere else, +1 for us Yanks but I have a feeling so many American guys go to England, girls no longer have that 'exotic' and 'mysterious' vibe for us.

Trust me, go to any city besides London (Fuck, even London tbh) and you'll almost have 'fame game'. Almost. You'd definitely be seen as higher value than a Brit who looked exactly like you, at the very minimum. If you had some cool 'American' stories to tell, you'd clean house. Especially amongst girls 18-22.

To be honest if you have a different accent to the area you from you'll tend to do well. Surprising how many girls are intoxicated by the scouse accent i guess we are also good at stealing female hearts. A foreign accent would do a million times better though.