rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Study: BDSM Correlated With Better Mental Health

Quote:Quote:

People who are into kinky sex may be psychologically healthier than those who are not, says a new study. Researchers found that people who were involved in BDSM -- bondage, discipline, sadism and masochism -- scored better on certain indicators of mental health than those who did not bring kink into the bedroom, reported LiveScience.

The study, which was published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine in May, surveyed 902 people who practice BDSM and 434 people who prefer so-called "vanilla" (non-kinky) sex. Each person filled out questionnaires regarding their personalities, general well-being, sensitivity to rejection and style of attachment in relationships. The participants were not aware of the purpose of the study.

Despite past assumptions that BDSM proclivities might be correlated with previous abuse, rape or mental disorders (research has shown that they're not), this survey found that kinky people actually scored better on many indicators of mental health than those who didn't practice BDSM, reported LiveScience. According to Reuters, BDSM-friendly participants were found to be less neurotic, more open, more aware of and sensitive to rejection, more secure in their relationships and have better overall well-being.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/05...90676.html

What's with all these studies, like that one that said homos raised kids better? Its almost as if the cathedral wants people to believe the alternative is the norm.
"No, red blooded traditional sex is for freaks, better take a strapon up the ass, it'll make you a better dad"

I see two simple explanations:

1. People who have more sex are healthier, and happier. BDSM people have more sex.
2. BDSM people have more sexually polarized relationships, which leads to more sex and more relationship satisfaction.

I haven't read the study. If I were doing the research, the first thing I'd do is try and control for sex frequency - eg compare BDSM and non-BDSM people who have sex 3-5 times a week.

Quote: (06-08-2013 01:09 PM)basilransom Wrote:  

I see two simple explanations:

1. People who have more sex are healthier, and happier. BDSM people have more sex.
2. BDSM people have more sexually polarized relationships, which leads to more sex and more relationship satisfaction.

I haven't read the study. If I were doing the research, the first thing I'd do is try and control for sex frequency - eg compare BDSM and non-BDSM people who have sex 3-5 times a week.
Those were my first thoughts before I even opened the thread.

We're probably healthier because we do not repress our sexuality.

This leads to less bitterness and resentment.

Why do you think gay people are so out there? It's because they've had to repress an essential part of themselves.

If you're into kink and not getting what you want, you're going to go crazy.

I wonder how many alcoholics are getting good sex? I'll bet most aren't. In my experience, alcoholics have severe issues with their sexuality and turn to the bottle rather than deal with those issues.