rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

When did Atheism become trendy?

I'm spiritual but not religious. I don't think anyone knows this except some family members. When did it become cool and trendy to be an atheist? Why do people have to announce to the world that they don't believe in a God and how backwards and closed minded Christians are (it's cool to and funny to hate on Christians. You're mean if you say anything about any other religions).

I don't think it necessarily became cool and trendy, I think people just started to realize that religion is a crock of shit.

[Image: atheism1.jpg]

I'm not saying all atheists are smart, what I am saying is it's pretty hard to buy a story about a man who packed 2 of every animal in the world on one ship during some great flood. Or the earth is 6,000 years old.

I pick Moromism over this BS.

And atheism isn't a religion in any way.

I don't mind atheists. I know some that are atheists...just can't stand the ones that outwardly proclaim it excessively...like in every sentence..good for you. I was raised Catholic..and am a very apathetic one...yet I don't proclaim it every second I get.

...come to think of it..I'll mention the Catholic part when I'm around Brazilian or Polish chicks...cause it's beneficial

Quote: (05-23-2013 08:07 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Tell that to Richard Dawkins' Acolytes.

My brother's best friend is a hardcore atheist. He goes to conventions and shit.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Quote: (05-23-2013 08:12 PM)renotime Wrote:  

My brother's best friend is a hardcore atheist. He goes to conventions and shit.

Going to conventions isn't the same as worshiping an all-powerful invisible super being who lives in space.

I'm an atheist.

Having said that, atheism has become another Hip trait that lefty scum can flaunt to show how much smarter they are than the Red State Losers, you know the guys who put in at least 40 hours a week working like Real Men for a living.

For every Hitchens or Dawkins there's a bunch of Hipsters that don't know jack about anything.

Then there's the ones that don't believe but think it's ok for lesser people to believe, just like kids believe in Santa.

I don't care what anybody believes anyomre as long as they shut up, obey the law, work and pay taxes.

I live by the mantra that "there is nothing worse than trying TOO hard." Whether this involves trying too hard to be an atheist or trying too hard to be a Christian zealot...yeah, both suck pretty hard.

Note: I don't know many hot atheists, although I do know a few hot Christian zealots (granted, your dick either stats dormant or you have to fuck at church)

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Quote: (05-23-2013 08:22 PM)JimNortonFan Wrote:  

I'm an atheist.

Having said that, atheism has become another Hip trait that lefty scum can flaunt to show how much smarter they are than the Red State Losers, you know the guys who put in at least 40 hours a week working like Real Men for a living.

For every Hitchens or Dawkins there's a bunch of Hipsters that don't know jack about anything.

Then there's the ones that don't believe but think it's ok for lesser people to believe, just like kids believe in Santa.

I don't care what anybody believes anyomre as long as they shut up, obey the law, work and pay taxes.

Yeah, they like to think of themselves as heretics standing up to the church.

Newsflash, retards, Atheism, is NOT a heretic belief anymore, it goes pretty mainstream, the way I see it.

Aurini made a video about this.

I personally think most people who are vocal about being atheists end up just being nasty and vitriolic. Chris Hitchens was a prime example.

I think it became more 'trendy' due to the influence of the Internet, social networking, and sites such as Reddit.

Quote: (05-23-2013 08:12 PM)renotime Wrote:  

Just because you don't believe an outrageous claim doesn't make you religious.

Quote: (05-23-2013 07:58 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

I don't think it necessarily became cool and trendy, I think people just started to realize that religion is a crock of shit.

This. Militant Islam coupled with fundamentalist Judaism and right wing Christianity leaves no "attractive" major religion for progressives.

I never understood religion. Never have and never will, and I went to Catholic school as a kid. Didn't believe it even then.

That said, I don't like it when atheists bully people by putting down people who believe religion. People seem drawn to religion, and even though I am not, I don't try to make fun of someone just because they do. Different strokes for different folks. The only time I get upset with religious people is when they try to advocate for certain laws based only on their religious beliefs because I sure as hell don't want to live in a theocracy.

I blame reddit

Also understand that religion, for many people, is a nonaggression pact between man and woman that says no hypergamy for her, no young fresh tail for him.

I think people are also sick of all the problems religion has caused over the last couple decades. I'm personally sick and tired of hearing about the situation with Israel in the middle east. I'm all for the average religious person. That's straight, believe what you want, especially if it better your life. But I think as a whole, the world would be much better off without it. The extremists from all sides have taken things too far.

Quote: (05-23-2013 07:55 PM)houston Wrote:  

I'm spiritual but not religious. I don't think anyone knows this except some family members. When did it become cool and trendy to be an atheist? Why do people have to announce to the world that they don't believe in a God and how backwards and closed minded Christians are (it's cool to and funny to hate on Christians. You're mean if you say anything about any other religions).

Forgive me, but what does this mean?

Why is religion a crock of shit?

The media has gradually pushed religion into the margins of society. In Europe this process is all but complete for Christianity but even in the U.S. it's made enormous progress in even just the last decade. It's no surprise since most journalists and media executives are not only not religious but aren't even of Christian ancestry. As a result, the media and academia have an axe to grind to ensure that Christianity is ground to dust and it looks like they're getting their wish.

My sense is that atheism leaves an enormous vacuum in society, which is being replaced by nothing except political correctness, environmentalism, feminism, and the like. When historians look back they'll observe wistfully that purely secular societies fell into technological and economic stagnation precisely because they lost the Protestant work ethic which Max Weber so ably described.

Quote: (05-23-2013 08:52 PM)Galnuc69 Wrote:  

Why is religion a crock of shit?

Which one? Christianity? Do you sincerely believe that a dude packed 2 of every animal into a boat and kept them afloat while the whole world flooded? Religion is out dated man. It just doesn't make sense. I'm all for people following the good parts of it while turning their head to the bad parts, but really? A lot of it just doesn't add up these days.

Agree with this fully.

It has become a little trendy and a cool thing amongst feminists and few factions of the left.

However, knowing what we know today because of science it is pretty difficult to believe in a "God". Especially when most religions argue that the earth is only 1000s of years old and disregard evolution, religion does seem like a crock of shit.