rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

2 reasons why you aren't making $100,000+ a year
reasons why you aren't making 0,000+ a year
http://www.quicksprout.com/2013/05/09/th...ufferfa063

I found this to be quite interesting. I would like to hear some of the members thoughts on this
3 pop ups and I have to register to read the article?

Fuck that.

Please copy and paste.
"Do you know what you need if you want to make over $100,000 a year? It doesn’t matter if you are an entrepreneur or a 9 to 5 worker… if you want to climb up the corporate ladder there are 2 things you need to embrace.Do you know what they are?No they aren’t ambition or how smart you are. And luck has nothing to do with it.It’s actually communication skills and how hard you work.Lets break each of them down…

Communication skills

According to the dictionary communication is “the imparting or exchanging of information or news.”In the corporate world things don’t get accomplished or done right mainly because of communication. It’s either due to the lack of communication, the speed in which you communicate at, or the fact that you may not be communicating clearly.Let’s break down each of them:Lack of communication – if you decide to not communicate as often or just not communicate, this would be considered lack of communication. A good example of this is not responding to an email or ignoring a phone call or skipping meetings.Communication speed – how fast you respond is the speed you communicate at. For example if someone sends you an email and you respond 3 days later, that’s considered slow communication. If someone sends you an email and you respond within the hour, that is fast communication. The same goes with voicemail messages or follow up tasks you may receive from a meeting.Clear communication – if you answer all of the questions someone asks you in way that they as well as others can understand, that’s clear communication. If you aren’t answering all of their questions, that’s poor communication. And if you can’t give people clear instructions or details on what you want done, that’s also poor communication.So why is communication important? Because it shows that you care and you are on top of things. I actually recommended one of my friends to a local design shop in Seattle. The design shop got a $4000 contract from my buddy, but they ignored some of his emails and they decided to not respond to them in a timely manor.My buddy was going to give them a $25,000 contract after they finished the $4000 contract, but the design firm is most likely going to lose it. It’s not because their work isn’t good, it’s because they don’t communicate effectively.Whether you are an entrepreneur or a 9 to 5 worker you should have great communication skills:Always communicate with people – you should never ignore anyone, no matter how irritating they maybe.Respond on time – it doesn’t matter if it is after working hours or on the weekend, responding within 24 hours at the latest is a requirement.Over communicate – the easiest way to make sure you are communicating clearly is to over communicate. Be thorough on responding to people or even when you are giving tasks to other.Always take notes – whether it is a phone call, or a meeting, you should always take notes and follow up with people. Give them a summary of what happened and follow up steps to ensure everyone is on the same page.If you follow the above communication steps, you’ll be better off then most people out in the corporate world.

Work ethic

As a kid I remember how my parents went from struggling immigrants with very little money to middle class citizens who succeeded through hard work. They did all of this so that they could provide my sister and I a life that they didn’t have.So how did they provide us with a better life? They worked their butts off and did whatever it took no matter how unreasonable it sounded.My mom who was a teacher couldn’t find a paying job when we moved to the U.S. So she worked for free at a school until they hired her. And because we didn’t have 2 cars, my mom had to walk a few miles to work, while pushing my sister and I in a stroller… in hopes that one day she would get a paid job.You don’t have to be the smartest person out there, but if you want to succeed you need to do whatever it takes to get the job done.For example we have a lot of sales reps at KISSmetrics. One of our best sales reps is a gentleman by the name of Brandon. So why does Brandon do so well? It’s not because of his connections because he doesn’t know too many check writers at large corporations. And it’s not because his sales training… he got the same training as everyone else.What separates Brandon from the crowd is that he works more hours than most people. He is the first person in the office every day and the last person to leave. And when he gets home he continues his workday because I continually see emails from him at 9pm or even 11pm at night asking me to review contracts. Heck he even emails me over the weekends when he needs help so he can get some deals closed.If you want to do well take a page out of Brandon’s book and work hard for more than just 8 hours a day.It doesn’t matter how smart you are or how well connected you maybe, working long hours efficiently really helps you get a leg up among your co-workers and the competition.And if that doesn’t convince you to work hard, think about how my mom got a paid teaching job because she continually worked for free. She got a paid teaching job even though English was her second language… all because she worked harder than most people.

Conclusion

I know I typically don’t write blog posts that are rants, but I had to because I continually see people with a ton of potential failing each day.Why?Because they are too lazy to communicate and they aren’t willing to work hard. It’s not that they aren’t smart or talented… they are just lazy.If you want to make a lot of money you need to work your butt off and over communicate. People will eventually see how dedicated you are and you’ll come ahead.And if you don’t care about money, you should still work hard and be a great communicator. No matter what field you go into, such as the non-profit world, those two things will help you accomplish your goals."
Quote: (05-13-2013 02:52 PM)germanico Wrote:  

3 pop ups and I have to register to read the article?

Fuck that.

Please copy and paste.

You need to click "no, thanks" when you are asked to subscribe.

I'm the King of Beijing!
$100K per year ain't what it used to be. I don't know why that number has so much talismanic power...because it's the first 6-figure number?
In all honesty this is hardly insightful advice... you need communication skills and work ethic to do anything, ever.
Wow... Staggering.

Tune in next week for 2 reasons you don't bench press 350 lbs.

1. You never work out.
2. Weights are heavy.
3 step guide to a 100k

1)Get money

2)Count Money

3)Stop counting once you reach 100k

Your All Welcome

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Quote: (05-13-2013 03:24 PM)Menace Wrote:  

$100K per year ain't what it used to be. I don't know why that number has so much talismanic power...because it's the first 6-figure number?

I believe I read somewhere that research shows that your quality of life increases dramatically up until the 100K per year mark but then doesn't increase any more until you hit $1 million per year.

Perhaps subconsciously most people know that hitting the 6 figures will give them a secure, content lifestyle and cover all their bases (as long as they control their spending).

And as you mentioned, it's the first 6-figure number, so I think a lot of people "perceive" it as more than $99,000 a year. It just feels like more - kind of like charging $9.99 for something instead of $10 because people just automatically see it as cheaper.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling
You are being lied to if you believe a one handle is when money doesn't matter.

In the future you may need a new fake heart that will cost $500K. The more options you have the happier you are if you don't get sucked into an endless lifestyle inflation trap.

Quote: (05-13-2013 04:00 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

I believe I read somewhere that research shows that your quality of life increases dramatically up until the 100K per year mark but then doesn't increase any more until you hit $1 million per year.

Perhaps subconsciously most people know that hitting the 6 figures will give them a secure, content lifestyle and cover all their bases (as long as they control their spending).

And as you mentioned, it's the first 6-figure number, so I think a lot of people "perceive" it as more than $99,000 a year. It just feels like more - kind of like charging $9.99 for something instead of $10 because people just automatically see it as cheaper.
For many people, getting to 100k a year is seen as something that could happen. A lot of those same people would see 1 million a year as a dream and not realistic.

I would say it is more about limiting beliefs than anything else.

Now if they reached 100k they would say it isn't enough. haha
Off topic:

It is a myth that things are priced at $9.99 since it fools the customer into appearing much cheaper than $10.

Things are priced that way so that the clerk has to take the money from the customer, ring it through the register and give the customer $0.01 in change.

It would be alot easier for clerks to pocket the 10 bucks and claim an item was stolen - if customers didn't have to wait around for the clerk to ring the register and hand over some change.
1) You're not in sales.

2) You don't own your own business.

Sure, there are other ways to make a 100K. Go to law school and get a good job (harder than ever), become a doctor (lots of student loans), go into finance.

But even guys on Wall Street who make the most money are in sales of some sorts.

If you can sell, you will make 100K.
Have to agree with MikeCF, if you can sell, you can make it.

My cousin is half retarded and makes over $100K selling health insurance, he is just a naturally good salesman...
I only made 95K last year, first time in three years I didn't make at least 100K, I guess I should work on my communication skills and stop slacking off so much at work. Actually, I could have just worked an extra week or two to crack six figures, but five months was enough work last year, I had traveling to do, I'll probably put in five months again this year, working is so beta.
Quote: (05-13-2013 04:44 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Off topic:

It is a myth that things are priced at $9.99 since it fools the customer into appearing much cheaper than $10.

Things are priced that way so that the clerk has to take the money from the customer, ring it through the register and give the customer $0.01 in change.

It would be alot easier for clerks to pocket the 10 bucks and claim an item was stolen - if customers didn't have to wait around for the clerk to ring the register and hand over some change.

That's interesting, never heard that before.

But in the US, things are priced at $9.99 too, before they add sales tax at the register. Which means that whether it was priced at $10 or $9.99, the customer will still expect the clerk to ring it up. Therefore there must be some marketing value to the $9.99 figure.
Quote: (05-13-2013 08:24 PM)Sabra Wrote:  

But in the US, things are priced at $9.99 too, before they add sales tax at the register. Which means that whether it was priced at $10 or $9.99, the customer will still expect the clerk to ring it up. Therefore there must be some marketing value to the $9.99 figure.

You haven't heard it before because it isn't true. You can see the same pricing on the internet where no cashier is present.
Actually Internet sales are to be priced in numbers that end in $7.

$7
$17
$47

If you're using the 9.99 on the Internet, you're mis-pricing your product until you get to the corporate level (have a wide audience). Just look at bold and determined. He is an Internet salesman for sure.

Also Mike is correct, the real money is in sales. Number crunchers getting paid is a myth, that number cruncher is working for a sales person in some fashion. Even on the buyside you must convince people that your sick algos will make them money.

If you can't sell shit, you'll never reach your potential. In the game of life.

Quote: (05-13-2013 08:37 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (05-13-2013 08:24 PM)Sabra Wrote:  

You haven't heard it before because it isn't true. You can see the same pricing on the internet where no cashier is present.
Quote: (05-13-2013 08:40 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

Actually Internet sales are to be priced in numbers that end in $7.

$7
$17
$47

If you're using the 9.99 on the Internet, you're mid pricing your product until you get to the high end. Just look at bold and determined. He is an Internet sales guy.

Also mike is correct, the real money is in sales. Number crunchers getting paid is a myth, that number cruncher is working for a sales person in some fashion. Even on the buyside you must convince people that your sick algos will make them money.

If you can't sell shit, you'll never reach your potential.

I have tested both ending with 7 and 9. No difference.
^^ interesting. Did you try moving it up to the next level then could be a mis price issue eg: $9.99 should be $17 etc.

Guessing you've done this already though.
Quote: (05-13-2013 08:45 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

^^ interesting.

You should test everything to know what really works and what doesn't. Maybe some products sell better at a "7" pricing scheme.

The biggest problem with this stuff is many people regurgitate stuff without ever really testing it.

That is why I always test things instead of taking it as gospel.

Quote:Quote:

Did you try moving it up to the next level then could be a mis price issue eg: $9.99 should be $17 etc.

I don't really sell anything for less than $100. Or I should say $99.. $97. heh You definitely should be testing raising prices. Sometimes you end up making more sales because people equate more value to it.

My main product line starts at $150 and goes to thousands.
Quote: (05-13-2013 08:47 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (05-13-2013 08:45 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

^^ interesting.

You should test everything to know what really works and what doesn't. Maybe some products sell better at a "7" pricing scheme.

The biggest problem with this stuff is many people regurgitate stuff without ever really testing it.

That is why I always test things instead of taking it as gospel.

Quote:Quote:

Did you try moving it up to the next level then could be a mis price issue eg: $9.99 should be $17 etc.

I don't really sell anything for less than $100. Or I should say $99.. $97. heh You definitely should be testing raising prices. Sometimes you end up making more sales because people equate more value to it.

My main product line starts at $150 and goes to thousands.

Ah yes that is a different ball game. I agree yes you price everything, low end internet marketing stuff is usually sales that end in $7. That's how it's easy to tell when a guy is in internet sales. Like B&D
Quote: (05-13-2013 08:52 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

Ah yes that is a different ball game. I agree yes you price everything, low end internet marketing stuff is usually sales that end in $7. That's how it's easy to tell when a guy is in internet sales. Like B&D

I sometimes think people take the easy way out when selling. They price it low instead of trying to find ways to increase the value.

I find I get better customers at higher price ranges and shitty customers who want the world and a refund at the low ranges.
Quote: (05-13-2013 08:58 PM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Quote: (05-13-2013 08:52 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

I sometimes think people take the easy way out when selling. They price it low instead of trying to find ways to increase the value.

I find I get better customers at higher price ranges and shitty customers who want the world and a refund at the low ranges.

Yeah that's why it's generally advised to sell above the $50 water mark.

This is also why you don't sell or hang out with people who have poverty mindsets, they are always begging for a hand out or looking for some scheme to scam a few hundred bucks off of you. Very similar to that one guy who is always asking you to "hook him up with chicks" begging for a handout. Smart people would rather pay the price and learn the trade.

$50? Who cares.

There is a massive difference between minimalism and stupidity. If you're going to sell me a product that saves me $100 I'll happily buy it for $50 and make that trade every single day.
Quote: (05-13-2013 04:05 PM)WestCoast Wrote:  

You are being lied to if you believe a one handle is when money doesn't matter.

In the future you may need a new fake heart that will cost $500K. The more options you have the happier you are if you don't get sucked into an endless lifestyle inflation trap.

Quote: (05-13-2013 04:00 PM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

And you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say money didn't matter after 6 figures, I said research shows that there's a significant jump in quality of life up to that point but that it doesn't jump again significantly until 7 figures (or at least that's what I meant to say).

Also - interesting you mentioned the 500K heart issue. For one, I think if a person obsesses too much and works too hard in an effort to get from 100K to 300K per year, for example, instead of learning to live with that baseline, I would think they are far more likely to need that new heart...

On top of that, I fail to see how the off-chance you might need a new heart at one point would affect your entire quality of life. Sure, it would effect your life to an extreme during the period of time you experienced that, and that's if it even happened, but I hardly think a risk of something happening has anything to do with figuring quality of life unless there's some chance that the variable in question (making 100K instead of more) is going to drastically increase that risk.

That's simply not how figuring out the general happiness level for a given population of people works.

Anyways, I wasn't arguing for not striving for anything above that 6 figure goal post. I was presenting a possible reason why, as Menace mentioned, people focus on that particular figure so much.

In any event, I can't recall where I read that so I might as well be talking out of my ass. But it does make logical sense to me.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling