rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

At What Point Are Children Capable of Formulating Questions?

There is more to come from me here, but before I describe the reasoning for this thread, I'm curious for your opinions.

What would be the age that you think a child who is in an effective classroom in the US should be able to formulate higher order questions about their learning? Meaning: these questions come organically out of classroom teaching related to that day's content. These questions are not asking for restatements of information previous learned, but rather to enrich a student's learning. These types of questions typically involve synthesis of multiple concepts or deal in hypotheticals, where there is more than one answer.

Six or seven

Quote: (05-08-2013 05:49 PM)BLarsen Wrote:  

Six or seven

i dont know what kids you're dealing with at 7 but mine could ask questions like this at 3 and 4. at 6 years old they are reading 100 page books and writing stories.

where do such and such come from?
why does blahblah happen?

synthesis of information and taking it to the next level. happens much earlier than 7

Experience comes from my own kids. They've always asked "why" since they could speak. I don't consider "Why?" to be a higher order question. I've found that "Why?" is usually code for "I don't know WTF you're talking about" or "I don't understand but don't want to look stupid."

Quote: (05-08-2013 07:07 PM)reaper23 Wrote:  

Quote: (05-08-2013 05:49 PM)BLarsen Wrote:  

Six or seven

i dont know what kids you're dealing with at 7 but mine could ask questions like this at 3 and 4. at 6 years old they are reading 100 page books and writing stories.

where do such and such come from?
why does blahblah happen?

synthesis of information and taking it to the next level. happens much earlier than 7

little kids saying "why?" and "no" is far.from synthesizing information and rationalization. its more jusy expressing a word that can get a respinse from an adult and confirming theyre individual beings. for a good exampke.of the "why?" phenominon check louis ck.
i could see 6 or 7. around that age questions start out of pragmatism and curiousity, not just to hear their own voice.