rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Bangkok Vs Manila & game in SE Asia

I thought I'd write this thread since I spent a decent amount of time in each city (three weeks) and hope to give you guys some insight into my experiences in them and how I feel about each one. I think that there's some keys differences between Bangkok and Manila that guys should be aware of and make their travel plans accordingly. I'll also write about my observations in Thailand and the Philippines in general.

First of all, BKK is a world class city and blows Manila away on many different levels, however, Manila beats BKK in a couple of areas that are important to the traveling poon hound, more on that later. Here's some ways in which I feel that BKK beats Manila (this shouldn't some as a surprise to most guys who read the SEA threads or have been to each city).

-Safety: BKK is way safer than Manila, I would argue that in many ways, BKK is safer than a lot major North American and Western European cities, especially after dark. You can stumble around drunk in the sleazy part of Sukhumvit any time and night and generally, you'll be okay. I didn't spend too much time in the sleazy parts of Manila (Burgos Street in Makati and Malate area) but from what I saw those places are very rough at night, lots of snatchers.

-Poverty: There's a lot less shocking poverty in BKK, sure you'll see some beggers in BKK, many of them aren't even Thai and I'm pretty sure that some kind of mafia employs them (you'll see Thai guys come around on motos collecting their cups of money), contrast this to Manila where, even in Makati, you'll see three generations of a homeless family sleeping on the same card board box. Also, I've seen naked kids running around the street with their own feces smeared all over them in Makati.

-Development: BKK is way more modern and developed than Manila, although the latter has some pretty nice areas (Fort Bonifacio, Greenhills Mall area, etc), there's a lot more nicer areas in BKK. The BTS skytrain is very clean, nice and safe, I never took the MRT in Manila but was told not to due to snatchers.

-Food: Again, no shocker but Thai food is healthier and tastier (although a lot spicier than Filipino food), but there's some decent options in Manila, I just found them fewer and far between whereas in BKK, you just walk out onto the Soi and can get some quality street grub for 50-80B.

-Night Life: I can't comment too much because I haven't seen enough of BKK's night life, only the Farang clubs on Soi 11, Koah San Road and skank bars like Insanity but there's definitely more options in BKK, although I did enjoy the places I went to in Manila.

Hassles/corruption: I never had any problems with police or issues at an airport in Thailand, unlike Manila where I had one of the most stressful days of my life at the airport there. THC and 20nation had a run in with the cops there over open liquor in the streets and they had to pay a bribe, which they managed to talk down to 1000P from an outrageous 5000P.

International vibe: No doubt there's tons more foreigners and foreign business in BKK, this is good for the local economy but not so good for the poon hound as being a foreigner isn't as high value in BKK as in Manila.

I'm sure there's a lot more and feel free to add any more that you may have observed, so I'm done trashing Manila and hyping BKK, now its time to write about the ways in which Manila is better than BKK.

Less xenophobia: I think that's the term I'm looking for anyway, due to the Philippines long history of foreign colonization, many people there have a colonial mentality where some believe that foreigners, in particular Europeans and Americans are better than Filipinos. They are heavily influenced by American media and the history of Spanish colonialism is evident, I read a quote once that stated, "The Philippines spent 400 years in a convent and the past 50 in Hollywood". Basically, they like foreigners and there's little stigma attached to a Filipina dating a foreigner, unlike in Thailand, which has never been colonized and many people are subtly racist, a lot of Thai parents wouldn't want their daughters dating Farang men.

Easier to date HISO Filipinas: To me this has to be the best part about dating in the Philippines, its much easier to meet and date the HISO girls, mainly due to the above factor but also due to the following factor, which may be the best part about Filipinas....

The English Factor: As we all know, the Filipino people speak a English very well, even some of the homeless street people can carry a conversation, although you'll sometimes run into people in the country side who can't so well, or you'll get in a taxi and the driver doesn't understand your directions. On average, Filipinos speak better English than most Thais, actually I was very impressed with the English spoken by the HISO crowd, a lawyer who I went on a date with spoke impeccable English, almost better than me! This is another reason why its easy to meet and date the HISO Filipinas, you'll never hear one say that they can't speak English, that would be almost unthinkable, whereas many HISO Thais simply don't, although a lot of the well educated and well traveled HISO girls in Thailand will.

My experiences with girls in Thailand and the Philippines:

Overall I was a bit disappointed with the girls in Thailand due to a couple of reasons, at first it took me some time, I'd say about 5-6 weeks to get comfortable there with the culture, it was my first time in Asia and it took awhile, the language barrier didn't help either and I just don't have the patience to go out on dates with girls who's vocabulary is exhausted after five minutes (you have brother or sister? How old are you? etc). Instead of focusing on dating, I focused on personal goals and other activities that I wanted to do and I was happy with that. I left Thailand with a good impression but wasn't happy with my lack of success with the ladies, but now I"m back and realize that I really like Thailand, its a great place, but not my poosy paradise.

Shoring: Unfortunately this is where most of my bangs in Thailand came from, I say its unfortunate because although it was fun while it happened (going out and getting drunk and pulling skanks), I didn't feel too great about it after the fact, its like eating at McDonalds, sounds like a good idea and feels good but after you do it, you feel like shit. Fortunately I didn't experience any of the drama that goes along with picking up skanks at places like Insanity (broken laptops, stolen cell phones, calls to the police, etc), but I'd say that it wasn't a very rewarding experience. Banging women who have likely seen more cock ends than weekends is the easy way to get laid in BKK and for someone like me who only goes there for 4-7 days at a time (that's all I can handle!), I figured I wouldn't be able to put in the work required to chase the HISO girls in RCA, but who knows, maybe I could.

Another thought on BKK girls: Despite what you may think, it isn't really easy to bang the hotter girls here, IMO, you can date on-line, run day game and night game but there's a lot of other foreigners in BKK doing the same, you'll have competition. It isn't as tough as back home but don't think that just showing up and being a foreign guy that its going to be a cake walk and you'll be pulling 7s and 8s in BKK.

From what I've observed, the guys who are banging tons of girls (you know who I mean), the more attractive girls, are guys with tight game, they're fit, dress well, are good looking and experienced travelers.

As for myself, like I say, most of the girls I banged in BKK are skanks from some whore bar and I'd rate them 5s and 6s, not bad for a romp in the sack but certainly nothing to brag about. As some of you guys know, I'm not one of those guys who walks into a bar or club and the ladies all turn their heads to check me out, quite the opposite, I have to work for my notches, my game is decent though and I manage.

Now contrast this with Manila where shoring isn't necessary at all, actually from talking to other forum members who've been there, its much harder to shore in Manila. I wouldn't even consider it in Manila for a few reasons; the whore bars are in shitty areas, non-skank Filipinas are a dime a dozen and very easy to game (internet, day/night) and the other reasons I mentioned above.

Down side of Filipinas: This isn't so much of an issue in Manila (where HISO girls abound) as it is in other cities such as Cebu and especially the smaller cities but a lot of these girls are very poor. I traveled to several cities in the Philippines and got lucky in most of them and although I enjoyed my time with these girls, who were mostly "good girls", it wore on my nerves after awhile, hanging out with these poor provincial girls who likely grew up in tin shacks and often don’t know where they’re next meal is coming from. Sure many are cute and they are very nice, but I didn’t have much in common with them and they drove me nuts because they were pretty much all the same: very shy, conservative, uneducated and had limited life experiences. Now before everyone shits on my head for being an arrogant North American, I just want to say that I realize it’s not their fault that they’re poor and I understand the dynamics of dating in the third world and running into these girls is inevitable (especially online) but it’s not something I’m keen on repeating.

Actually, I was so bored of dating Asian women that I started dating African ones, I’m probably the only RVF member that went to Asia to chase Africans, ya I know, it’s fucked up.

Being a notch hound isn’t for everyone: Now, before coming to Asia, I had a decent amount of notches racked up, and I’ve been banging foreign women abroad since I was 16, so I thought “no big deal”, I've done my thing in some pretty rough places like Kingston and Bogota, but the Philippines was on another level. I saw first hand the insane sexual conquests of guys like 20nation and THC and thought “damn I gotta get in on this”, who wouldn’t want to have orgies and bang multiple women in the same day? Well I learned that personally, it isn’t really for me, don’t get me wrong, I like banging new girls just as much as the next guy, I just find that it’s a chore and emotionally draining. Each date is the same, the same mundane questions (so do you have brothers and sisters? Why aren’t you married? etc) then you have to put up with the BS of them taking along a friend and often times that friend is a queer, it gets old, real quick. Like I say, I did some shit in the Philippines that I never imagined would happen, I know that some of you want to hear the details about the sex but I won’t go into the details here because I wrote about them in 20nation's Philippines thread but it involved some raw dogging, shoring, banging a girl in front of her gay friend and a near miss with a lady boy, among other things.

Also, if you meet up with a girl who grew up in a slum, you have to hear their third world drama stories and some of them are quite heart wrenching, one example is this cute girl I met in Cebu. She told me that she loves to watch movies but she can’t anymore and has to read books, so I asked her why and she went on to tell me that her home was robbed and all of the electronics were stolen and the suspect is her own uncle, who is now in jail. 20nation had an even better one where he noticed a girl had a fucked up arm and when he asked her what happened, she told him that her family couldn’t afford a real doctor so they took her to a witch doctor for treatment. Apparently mending a broken arm wasn’t that particular witch doctor’s forte.

To wrap this long winded thread up I just want to say that I'm really enjoying my time in SE Asia, not so much for the women but mostly for the fun things I've done like Muay Thai, fishing, diving, etc. I just wanted to inform some of the guys out there who are searching for their poosy paradise that there's some things to consider before you hop on a plane and start banging tons of chicks, there's good and bad things that you'll see and experience, its up to you to decide if you can handle it.

As always I try to be a straight shooter with my threads, despite the odd retarded post I may make, the topics I brought up in this thread are serious and I hope that you found them useful. Of course they're just my options and observations, I welcome any other ideas or criticisms that any of you may have.

I'm pretty sure that Fisto is killing it in Manila now just as he killed it in Thailand, so we'll see what his final verdict on the two cities are, for me its BKK to visit and possibly live for awhile and Manila all the way for the women.

Yes, game and looks is important in SE Asia. Its really like training in slightly easier mode, but w/in a country which you dont know the rules or language.

That being said, Asia for a Playboy is heaven on earth. Cheap, fun, and great variety.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Good job.

I like these comparison threads.

To me, they are some of the most valuable.

Great thread. I've not been to Phils yet but it's on the cards. So is Indonesia after seeing a thread on Jakarta on here too.

Hi-so girls in BKK...pretty much no foreigner is banging them. Not real hi-so girls anyway. Farang guys seem to think any girl who isn't a hooker at Nana Plaza is a hi-so chick but that's not right. True hi-so is the rich and famous. The girls hanging out at RCA or Thong Lor or anywhere else a farang might end up on a night out are just regular middle class Thais. These girls can be banged but it's generally more effort as they are less likely to hook up with a foreigner. You got to have your shit together and get lucky to meet the right one.

Not impossible though but if you're here for a few days probably not worth your time. Still worth hitting the dating sites because that's an easy way to get some bangs with regular girls who don't hang around after hour clubs in Sukhumvit.

Solid post Scotian - these were my experiences exactly between the two cities.

Fully agree with your "Being a notch hound isn’t for everyone" paragraph. Going through the same questions/comments/reactions with girls that look and think the same gets old fast for me. It's like 'same same, but same'

I value my spare time too much to be on a constant quest for notches. Found the same thing in DR and Colombia hanging out with forum members. It's great to enjoy the hunt for a while, but there's a lot to be said for finding a couple of sexy, local girls to hang out with. For me the benefit getting invited to their friends houses,parties,boats and that the pickup hassle-factor drops to zero outweighs the new girl conquest... at least for a little couple of weeks.

I really enjoy your posts Scotian... we are on the same page when it comes to wanting more than just notches when traveling. Muay thai and diving is a huge passion for me to. I will move to Asia in December so your reports makes me forget the abstinences for a while! I´ve been to the Philippines twice and I very much agree on your view about the girls there.

I was quite surprised on how well pinays responded to cheeky humor and they definitely have a crazy side I didn`t expect them to have. Needless to say I had whats probably the best time of my life there when I was going through some heavy times a few years back. With the exception of Manila I enjoyed the experience very much. Having said that, after reading your datasheets of Manila I will give it a second try and maybe even a third. I will start out in Thailand, and I look forward to check "the buffet" there and some of the crazyness of Bangkok. Thailand to me seems ruthless, and I get the feeling that the girls are even more after your money than in any parts of the Philippines.

Quote:Quote:

Thailand to me seems ruthless, and I get the feeling that the girls are even more after your money than in any parts of the Philippines.

I live in Thailand and don't find it to be true but I don't make a habit of banging bar girls etc. Most regular girls I meet don't come across as gold diggers to me or do much to suggest that money in their main motivator. I tend not to keep most of them around for too long and only a select few become regulars but it's really not my experience.

I don`t bang bar girls either, so I guess my impression comes from the time I had in Phuket vs the Philippines, and that it seems like they love the farang-money like noone else. A regular pinay I have never felt wanted money first, but wanted an emotional connection. Good to hear your input. Nothing would be better if I am proven wrong!

Quote: (05-07-2013 12:04 PM)scotian Wrote:  

I thought I'd write this thread since I spent a decent amount of time in each city (three weeks) and hope to give you guys some insight into my experiences in them and how I feel about each one. I think that there's some keys differences between Bangkok and Manila that guys should be aware of and make their travel plans accordingly. I'll also write about my observations in Thailand and the Philippines in general.

First of all, BKK is a world class city and blows Manila away on many different levels, however, Manila beats BKK in a couple of areas that are important to the traveling poon hound, more on that later. Here's some ways in which I feel that BKK beats Manila (this shouldn't some as a surprise to most guys who read the SEA threads or have been to each city).

-Safety: BKK is way safer than Manila, I would argue that in many ways, BKK is safer than a lot major North American and Western European cities, especially after dark. You can stumble around drunk in the sleazy part of Sukhumvit any time and night and generally, you'll be okay. I didn't spend too much time in the sleazy parts of Manila (Burgos Street in Makati and Malate area) but from what I saw those places are very rough at night, lots of snatchers.

-Poverty: There's a lot less shocking poverty in BKK, sure you'll see some beggers in BKK, many of them aren't even Thai and I'm pretty sure that some kind of mafia employs them (you'll see Thai guys come around on motos collecting their cups of money), contrast this to Manila where, even in Makati, you'll see three generations of a homeless family sleeping on the same card board box. Also, I've seen naked kids running around the street with their own feces smeared all over them in Makati.

-Development: BKK is way more modern and developed than Manila, although the latter has some pretty nice areas (Fort Bonifacio, Greenhills Mall area, etc), there's a lot more nicer areas in BKK. The BTS skytrain is very clean, nice and safe, I never took the MRT in Manila but was told not to due to snatchers.

-Food: Again, no shocker but Thai food is healthier and tastier (although a lot spicier than Filipino food), but there's some decent options in Manila, I just found them fewer and far between whereas in BKK, you just walk out onto the Soi and can get some quality street grub for 50-80B.

-Night Life: I can't comment too much because I haven't seen enough of BKK's night life, only the Farang clubs on Soi 11, Koah San Road and skank bars like Insanity but there's definitely more options in BKK, although I did enjoy the places I went to in Manila.

Hassles/corruption: I never had any problems with police or issues at an airport in Thailand, unlike Manila where I had one of the most stressful days of my life at the airport there. THC and 20nation had a run in with the cops there over open liquor in the streets and they had to pay a bribe, which they managed to talk down to 1000P from an outrageous 5000P.

International vibe: No doubt there's tons more foreigners and foreign business in BKK, this is good for the local economy but not so good for the poon hound as being a foreigner isn't as high value in BKK as in Manila.

I'm sure there's a lot more and feel free to add any more that you may have observed, so I'm done trashing Manila and hyping BKK, now its time to write about the ways in which Manila is better than BKK.

Less xenophobia: I think that's the term I'm looking for anyway, due to the Philippines long history of foreign colonization, many people there have a colonial mentality where some believe that foreigners, in particular Europeans and Americans are better than Filipinos. They are heavily influenced by American media and the history of Spanish colonialism is evident, I read a quote once that stated, "The Philippines spent 400 years in a convent and the past 50 in Hollywood". Basically, they like foreigners and there's little stigma attached to a Filipina dating a foreigner, unlike in Thailand, which has never been colonized and many people are subtly racist, a lot of Thai parents wouldn't want their daughters dating Farang men.

Easier to date HISO Filipinas: To me this has to be the best part about dating in the Philippines, its much easier to meet and date the HISO girls, mainly due to the above factor but also due to the following factor, which may be the best part about Filipinas....

The English Factor: As we all know, the Filipino people speak a English very well, even some of the homeless street people can carry a conversation, although you'll sometimes run into people in the country side who can't so well, or you'll get in a taxi and the driver doesn't understand your directions. On average, Filipinos speak better English than most Thais, actually I was very impressed with the English spoken by the HISO crowd, a lawyer who I went on a date with spoke impeccable English, almost better than me! This is another reason why its easy to meet and date the HISO Filipinas, you'll never hear one say that they can't speak English, that would be almost unthinkable, whereas many HISO Thais simply don't, although a lot of the well educated and well traveled HISO girls in Thailand will.

My experiences with girls in Thailand and the Philippines:

Overall I was a bit disappointed with the girls in Thailand due to a couple of reasons, at first it took me some time, I'd say about 5-6 weeks to get comfortable there with the culture, it was my first time in Asia and it took awhile, the language barrier didn't help either and I just don't have the patience to go out on dates with girls who's vocabulary is exhausted after five minutes (you have brother or sister? How old are you? etc). Instead of focusing on dating, I focused on personal goals and other activities that I wanted to do and I was happy with that. I left Thailand with a good impression but wasn't happy with my lack of success with the ladies, but now I"m back and realize that I really like Thailand, its a great place, but not my poosy paradise.

Shoring: Unfortunately this is where most of my bangs in Thailand came from, I say its unfortunate because although it was fun while it happened (going out and getting drunk and pulling skanks), I didn't feel too great about it after the fact, its like eating at McDonalds, sounds like a good idea and feels good but after you do it, you feel like shit. Fortunately I didn't experience any of the drama that goes along with picking up skanks at places like Insanity (broken laptops, stolen cell phones, calls to the police, etc), but I'd say that it wasn't a very rewarding experience. Banging women who have likely seen more cock ends than weekends is the easy way to get laid in BKK and for someone like me who only goes there for 4-7 days at a time (that's all I can handle!), I figured I wouldn't be able to put in the work required to chase the HISO girls in RCA, but who knows, maybe I could.

Another thought on BKK girls: Despite what you may think, it isn't really easy to bang the hotter girls here, IMO, you can date on-line, run day game and night game but there's a lot of other foreigners in BKK doing the same, you'll have competition. It isn't as tough as back home but don't think that just showing up and being a foreign guy that its going to be a cake walk and you'll be pulling 7s and 8s in BKK.

From what I've observed, the guys who are banging tons of girls (you know who I mean), the more attractive girls, are guys with tight game, they're fit, dress well, are good looking and experienced travelers.

As for myself, like I say, most of the girls I banged in BKK are skanks from some whore bar and I'd rate them 5s and 6s, not bad for a romp in the sack but certainly nothing to brag about. As some of you guys know, I'm not one of those guys who walks into a bar or club and the ladies all turn their heads to check me out, quite the opposite, I have to work for my notches, my game is decent though and I manage.

Now contrast this with Manila where shoring isn't necessary at all, actually from talking to other forum members who've been there, its much harder to shore in Manila. I wouldn't even consider it in Manila for a few reasons; the whore bars are in shitty areas, non-skank Filipinas are a dime a dozen and very easy to game (internet, day/night) and the other reasons I mentioned above.

Down side of Filipinas: This isn't so much of an issue in Manila (where HISO girls abound) as it is in other cities such as Cebu and especially the smaller cities but a lot of these girls are very poor. I traveled to several cities in the Philippines and got lucky in most of them and although I enjoyed my time with these girls, who were mostly "good girls", it wore on my nerves after awhile, hanging out with these poor provincial girls who likely grew up in tin shacks and often don’t know where they’re next meal is coming from. Sure many are cute and they are very nice, but I didn’t have much in common with them and they drove me nuts because they were pretty much all the same: very shy, conservative, uneducated and had limited life experiences. Now before everyone shits on my head for being an arrogant North American, I just want to say that I realize it’s not their fault that they’re poor and I understand the dynamics of dating in the third world and running into these girls is inevitable (especially online) but it’s not something I’m keen on repeating.

Actually, I was so bored of dating Asian women that I started dating African ones, I’m probably the only RVF member that went to Asia to chase Africans, ya I know, it’s fucked up.

Being a notch hound isn’t for everyone: Now, before coming to Asia, I had a decent amount of notches racked up, and I’ve been banging foreign women abroad since I was 16, so I thought “no big deal”, I've done my thing in some pretty rough places like Kingston and Bogota, but the Philippines was on another level. I saw first hand the insane sexual conquests of guys like 20nation and THC and thought “damn I gotta get in on this”, who wouldn’t want to have orgies and bang multiple women in the same day? Well I learned that personally, it isn’t really for me, don’t get me wrong, I like banging new girls just as much as the next guy, I just find that it’s a chore and emotionally draining. Each date is the same, the same mundane questions (so do you have brothers and sisters? Why aren’t you married? etc) then you have to put up with the BS of them taking along a friend and often times that friend is a queer, it gets old, real quick. Like I say, I did some shit in the Philippines that I never imagined would happen, I know that some of you want to hear the details about the sex but I won’t go into the details here because I wrote about them in 20nation's Philippines thread but it involved some raw dogging, shoring, banging a girl in front of her gay friend and a near miss with a lady boy, among other things.

Also, if you meet up with a girl who grew up in a slum, you have to hear their third world drama stories and some of them are quite heart wrenching, one example is this cute girl I met in Cebu. She told me that she loves to watch movies but she can’t anymore and has to read books, so I asked her why and she went on to tell me that her home was robbed and all of the electronics were stolen and the suspect is her own uncle, who is now in jail. 20nation had an even better one where he noticed a girl had a fucked up arm and when he asked her what happened, she told him that her family couldn’t afford a real doctor so they took her to a witch doctor for treatment. Apparently mending a broken arm wasn’t that particular witch doctor’s forte.

To wrap this long winded thread up I just want to say that I'm really enjoying my time in SE Asia, not so much for the women but mostly for the fun things I've done like Muay Thai, fishing, diving, etc. I just wanted to inform some of the guys out there who are searching for their poosy paradise that there's some things to consider before you hop on a plane and start banging tons of chicks, there's good and bad things that you'll see and experience, its up to you to decide if you can handle it.

As always I try to be a straight shooter with my threads, despite the odd retarded post I may make, the topics I brought up in this thread are serious and I hope that you found them useful. Of course they're just my options and observations, I welcome any other ideas or criticisms that any of you may have.

I'm pretty sure that Fisto is killing it in Manila now just as he killed it in Thailand, so we'll see what his final verdict on the two cities are, for me its BKK to visit and possibly live for awhile and Manila all the way for the women.

[Image: potd.gif]

Quote: (05-07-2013 07:57 PM)The Pirate Wrote:  

I don`t bang bar girls either, so I guess my impression comes from the time I had in Phuket vs the Philippines, and that it seems like they love the farang-money like noone else. A regular pinay I have never felt wanted money first, but wanted an emotional connection. Good to hear your input. Nothing would be better if I am proven wrong!

I think the difference in attitudes of many Thai women come from the greater exposure that they have to hordes of foreign men, the good, bad and ugly. They are naturally a bit closed off to the world outside of Thailand and when they see the crazy shit that tourists get on with while on vacation in Thailand (greasy sex tourists, drunk idiots on the beach, etc.) I can see why some of them don't hold foreigners in high esteem and some may only see them as walking ATMs.

In the Philippines, they're a lot more open to foreigners and lots of Filipinos work abroad (I met so many with family in Canada), added to that is the colonial mentality and you can see why being foreign in the Philippines has much more value. Plus the Philippines gets way less tourists and if you're willing to go off the beaten path to a place like I did in Iloilo, or around Mindanao like 20nation did, your value is through the roof.

The Philippines still kind of pissed me off though, it has so much potential; great beaches, very friendly, English speaking people, etc. But for whatever reason, their government and tourist industry really dropped the ball when it comes to attracting crowds of foreign tourists. Its probably due to the high levels of poverty, lack of infrastructure and higher crime rates and terrorism in the south that people stay away, but the Philippines could be a lot better.

Also, the Philippines is pretty damn easy to get laid in, if a guy came here and didn't get laid, he must have some serious issues. I can see how a guy may not get laid in Thailand though.

Quote: (05-07-2013 07:57 PM)The Pirate Wrote:  

Phuket is one of the biggest sex tourist destinations in Thailand. You absolutely were dealing with semi-pros, regardless of if you knew it or not. Don't judge Thai women based on Phuket or Pattaya any more than you would Filipinos in Angels City.

Which part of Phuket, and which bars/clubs, were you meeting these Thai women? Patong?

Actually I was traveling with a girl from the Phillippines. The impression I got from Phuket was a general impression in peoples attitude when it came to my money. I was around Naih Harn and Rawai. I have no idea what the bars where...

Quote: (05-08-2013 07:32 AM)The Pirate Wrote:  

Actually I was traveling with a girl from the Phillippines. The impression I got from Phuket was a general impression in peoples attitude when it came to my money. I was around Naih Harn and Rawai. I have no idea what the bars where...

I think we're gonna hit up Phuket on Saturday to party, its only 1.5 hours by boat from Phi Phi, any one have any recommendations of where to stay and places to hit up, should be just hang out in Patong?

Nai Harn and Rawai are beaches about 1 hour outside the city of Phuket. These are not partyplaces by any means so I am blank there. But if you want to chill and live the easy life bringin a girl or by yourself, Nai Harn is great. I stayed at the Nai Harn Beach Resort. The rooms are like small houses next to the street, and the owner seemed quite nice. He also rented out scooters, and I never had a problem with the well know scooter-scams. This guy has some family members running some amazing (and cheap) bungalows up the hills, with amazing view which I tried for a few days. I can`t remember what the name was, but the people at Nai Harn Beaches would know about it.

@scotian
Solid write up on explaining several of the differences. I wanted to add a few thoughts on this. I have lived in both BKK and Manila so I have some experience on the subject.

Thinking about the two cities from the point of view of actually living their it is wise to think about some other important details.

Making friends…

- BKK
Your friendships will almost exclusively be with other foreigners. When I say friends I am talking about people you actually call up on your phone and meet up with to hang out. Not just acquaintances you see out often at the clubs and chat with for a while.

Making Thai guy friends is difficult and just not that enjoyable for the most part. The language barrier is your first obstacle as most thai guys don't see the need in learning english like many girls do. And even if you learn conversational thai it is hard to identify with thai guys and find any common ground with them. The thai culture has a strong identity and philosophies that are different from our western culture unlike Filipinos who very much identify with lots of American/western culture.

Generally the only Thai guys you will make friends with is the few who grew up part of their lives in North America or Europe. This is not very common compared with the Filipinos. The other group of Thai guys are the very rich, and well educated and this circle of guys is much more difficult to get into. And even though I did make into this circle of guys after a few years it was still a more surface level friendship.

There are obviously a ton of foreigners visiting or living in BKK. But the length many of the guys are staying is usually in the range of months and not years. Just look at this forum and you will find lots of guys who have spent several months living in BKK but you will find very few who make it more than a year. This means there is a constant rotation of people in and out and a need to continuously make new friends.

The guys who are living in BKK (between 20 and 40 years old) are usually internet self-employed types. Thailand has fewer foreigners who are actually expats working with local or international companies and therefor staying on long term contracts. You will find many more of these people in Manila in comparison.

This set up causes a few things…
1. A constant need to go out and actively make new friends as people are coming and going all the time.
2. A more difficult time building a long term social circle.
3. An incentive to spend way more time with thai girls leading to many guys to get involved with serious relationships they otherwise would not if they had other guys to spend time with.

This is not to say at all you can not overcome these things. I was lucky enough to make lots of great friends who were long term expats or other self-employed guys who were staying for the long term. It just took me about a year to make it happen, and once it did my quality of life shot up for the rest of the years I lived there.

- Manila
The first major difference is the fact most people in Manila (Makati and Fort Bonifacio to be more precise) speak decent to great english. And this includes both guys and girls, young and old. Sure it takes time to get used to the accent and some times the use of syntax and lingo are different but ultimately you can communicate on a very high level. Even to the point where it doesn't seem to make sense in even learning Tagalog compared with the obvious need to learn some Thai.

The other huge difference that scotian mentioned is how much more Filipinos identify with western culture, more specifically American culture. This means things like humor and sarcasm are often understood. It also means that you have a ton of things in common. You can talk about the most recent episode of games of thrones and chances are they have watched it or if they saw that dunk by Kevin Durant the night before. Filipinos love basketball.

This changes the whole dynamics in that you can make friends with and enjoy hanging out with many of the filipino guys. You will also find that the filipino guys want to accept you into their circle of friends unlike Thai guys who are much more skeptical of truly letting you into the group.

Making friends with other foreigners is also different in Manila. There are not nearly as many tourist, not even close. Also the Philippines has more integration with foreign (especially american) companies and you will meet a lot more long term expats. So in Thailand when you meet another foreigner your first assumption is he is a tourist and you will probably never talk to him again so no reason to try and make a big effort in being friends. However in the Philippines you don't always make that assumption and are more willing to make an effort to find out about people because there is a decent chance they are living there and you will see them again.

This causes a few things…
1. Much faster to build a long term social circle.
2. More integration into Filipino society.
3. Less need to spend so much time with girls as you have lots of guy friends to do shit with during the day, causing less need to have long term girl friends to keep you company all the time.

Really cool thread.

If it is possible to say, what "type of guy" would enjoy Bangkok over Manila or vice versa?

Which one do you think I would enjoy more?

I have tried to plan a trip to one of the two a few times but always get stumped on which one to check out.

G,
Go to Bangkok. The energy and vibrance of the city is something to be experienced.

I would always recommend anyone who is staying for less than a few months to start off in BKK. The advantages of Manila in my opinion are only felt when talking about living their in the long term.

Quote: (05-07-2013 12:04 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Being a notch hound isn’t for everyone: Now, before coming to Asia, I had a decent amount of notches racked up, and I’ve been banging foreign women abroad since I was 16, so I thought “no big deal”, I've done my thing in some pretty rough places like Kingston and Bogota, but the Philippines was on another level. I saw first hand the insane sexual conquests of guys like 20nation and THC and thought “damn I gotta get in on this”, who wouldn’t want to have orgies and bang multiple women in the same day? Well I learned that personally, it isn’t really for me, don’t get me wrong, I like banging new girls just as much as the next guy, I just find that it’s a chore and emotionally draining. Each date is the same, the same mundane questions (so do you have brothers and sisters? Why aren’t you married? etc) then you have to put up with the BS of them taking along a friend and often times that friend is a queer, it gets old, real quick.

I really identify with this as well, after reading all the posts on Thailand I decided to head there for a couple of weeks. I banged 2 girls in 2 weeks, I thought I did alright, but maybe not after reading about all the guys here banging 2 girls in 12 hours or whatever. Anyway I spent 1 week in Phuket, banged a Thai girl, possibly a semi pro, and thought yeah ok that was fun, then went to bkk for a week and banged another Thai girl from ThaiFriendly, that was fun too, but both of them were boring as fuck, other than the banging we had nothing interesting to talk about, couldn't get them out of my hotel fast enough, although the second one stayed the night a couple of times. Not to mention trying to find a new girl to bang was always in the back of my head, it started to dictate where I was going to stay, eat, shop, drink, pretty much took over my holiday. I also wasn't so keen on going clubbing as shoring a girl thats sucked 1000 dicks isn't really my thing, I only went out at night twice in 2 weeks and it seemed like pro central both times, although I drank at RCA with a fellow traveler one night and that was aight. Then I came to Manila, met this really cute local girl, I've been dating her for a month and it's a lot of fun. Plus I'm Asian and we're the same age, so I fit in just like a local, can meet all her friends and just enjoy the city, plus I'm banging a sexy Filipina every morning and night without having to go through all the first date bullshit etc etc. It's been a very different experience than what I had in Thailand where my whole trip was just about trying to find a new local chick to bang which I agree with the OP just seems a little exhausting sometimes, despite how much fun it is to bang new girls.
No I'm not going to wife this girl, I'm heading home in 2 weeks with a good chance I'll never see her again, but when I think back on whether I enjoyed Thailand or The Phils more, it's Phils 100x over.

Not to take anything away from these guys that are banging new girls everyday here, every guy knows it's not easy to get your game to that level and so all credit to them.

Maybe it also depends on the place, I'm Asian so I don't have yellow fever like alot of the white dudes out there, actually I've been banging Asian girls my whole life so Asian girl bodies don't impress me all that much, so there needs to be more to the girl to attract me when I'm around here. However when I was in Africa I banged a couple of girls and just touching that black skin set me on fire, I just wanted to bang more and more of them, couldn't care less about how fun they were to talk to or anything like that. So who knows. Maybe the SEA girls have that effect on white guys.

As for Phils vs Thailand, I really struggle to see how guys prefer Thailand, although I wasn't in Thailand for that long so maybe that's not fair. But the Phils is cheaper, everyone speaks English, Tagalog is also easier to learn than Thai in my opinion, there's far less foreigners around, areas around Makati and Taguig are very developed like Bangkok, its safer (in the developed areas at least), the scam factor is much much much less, unlike BKK where pretty much every local is trying to rip you off in some way (happens now and then in Manila too), plus I personally think the girls are much better looking here in the Phils. Remember much of the Phils has some Spanish or Portugese heritage way back in their bloodline and you can see this in their facial features, not to mention in their asses too. While my girl was at work the other day I took a cab to Greenbelt mall and wandered around for an hour - the number of hotties walking around is ridiculous! Tanned, curvy, petite with round asses and nice sized titties, I must have seen over 20 8's in an hour, whereas walking around Siam Paragon in BKK I might have seen about 5. Through my eyes anyway.
Anyway props to the OP for a pretty spot on comparison, not really much I can add to that.

Shibby, how much do you think the fact that you have a girlfriend in the Phils, but didn't really click with the few girls you hooked up with in BKK, is clouding your judgement?

When I first came to BKK I hated it, and went to Chiang Mai. However, now I feel at home in BKK (even though I'm getting sick of it) and a lot of that has to do with having connections here. It seems you made a good connection in Manila, where as you didn't have that in Bangkok.

Also, you think Manila is safer than BKK? I've never heard anyone say that before. Why do you think it is safer in Manila?

At the end of the day, I think individual experiences play such a huge role in people deciding which country they like best, be it Thailand, Phils, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. You can see this with Roosh and his first and second trips to Poland, and just about everyone who comes to BKK for their first time compared to their second.

I know Fisto and THC didn't like Saigon at all. However, me and my friend spent 3 nights there and had a blast. We have some local connections there that we went out and partied with. Got taken to some good bars and clubs, even one Spanish bar where I had an educated and financially well off Vietnamese girl dancing on me like you would never see a Thai girl do, unless she was a pro. Had another chick making out with me me and giving me a ride from club to club in her car, etc. Because of this, and the fact that it was significantly cooler the week we were in Saigon than it is here in BKK, no gridlocked traffic at all hours of the day like in BKK, significantly fewer white guys, good American style breakfast (eggs, bacon and CHEAP cheese!??) I am damn near ready to move to Saigon.

However, it easily could have been a different story if I didn't have local connections, and if the weather wasn't so good that week. No Vietnamese salsa dancer, no girl driving me around in her car, hot and muggy ass weather just like here in BKK, etc. I could have easily left Saigon thinking, "Eh, doubt I'll be going back."

Bangkok is safe as houses and for the guys who are constantly finding that the locals are trying to scam them and the girls are all hookers then you need to get out of Nana / Asoke areas because that's just a big tourist / red light district so what do you expect?

Because of this, and the fact that it was significantly cooler the week we were in Saigon than it is here in BKK, no gridlocked traffic at all hours of the day like in BKK, significantly fewer white guys, good American style breakfast (eggs, bacon and CHEAP cheese!??) I am damn near ready to move to Saigon.

Traffic wise I'm not sure what was going on when you were there but every time I've been in Saigon the traffic is 10 times more crazy than in BKK and it's very much 24/7. In Bangkok at least they stick to driving on the roads where as in Saigon during rush hour times the roads are too busy so they just drive down the pavements on their scooters causing you to jump out the way. There's practically no traffic lights in Saigon so you just have to walk out into the traffic and dodge it and the noise from scooters beeping their horns goes on all day and night. 12 lanes of traffic coming at you and not slowing down can be a daunting experience ha ha.

@Rio

Are you getting sick of Bangkok because of humidity/pollution?

Quote: (05-28-2013 06:49 AM)ThailandRockstar Wrote:  

Bangkok is safe as houses and for the guys who are constantly finding that the locals are trying to scam them and the girls are all hookers then you need to get out of Nana / Asoke areas because that's just a big tourist / red light district so what do you expect?

Because of this, and the fact that it was significantly cooler the week we were in Saigon than it is here in BKK, no gridlocked traffic at all hours of the day like in BKK, significantly fewer white guys, good American style breakfast (eggs, bacon and CHEAP cheese!??) I am damn near ready to move to Saigon.

Traffic wise I'm not sure what was going on when you were there but every time I've been in Saigon the traffic is 10 times more crazy than in BKK and it's very much 24/7. In Bangkok at least they stick to driving on the roads where as in Saigon during rush hour times the roads are too busy so they just drive down the pavements on their scooters causing you to jump out the way. There's practically no traffic lights in Saigon so you just have to walk out into the traffic and dodge it and the noise from scooters beeping their horns goes on all day and night. 12 lanes of traffic coming at you and not slowing down can be a daunting experience ha ha.

The traffic in Saigon was way better than BKK when I was there. The motorbikes are crazy, but the traffic actually moved. It wasn't gridlocked like it is here. We had no trouble getting around in taxis or on motorbikes in Saigon, where as here in BKK many times I have to take the BTS instead of my girls car or a cab because traffic is too bad.

It was raining on and off while I was there, so I'm sure that cut down on the amount of motorbikes at certain times.

Pirate, the humidity and pollution are major factors, but not the only ones. Plus, I am from California, so seeing Facebook photos of the blue sky, lakes, rivers, sunshine, etc. are getting to me a little. Though the pictures of fat chicks, people airing their dirty laundry on Facebook, etc. quickly reminds me of why I left.

Quote: (05-28-2013 05:12 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Shibby, how much do you think the fact that you have a girlfriend in the Phils, but didn't really click with the few girls you hooked up with in BKK, is clouding your judgement?

When I first came to BKK I hated it, and went to Chiang Mai. However, now I feel at home in BKK (even though I'm getting sick of it) and a lot of that has to do with having connections here. It seems you made a good connection in Manila, where as you didn't have that in Bangkok.

Also, you think Manila is safer than BKK? I've never heard anyone say that before. Why do you think it is safer in Manila?

At the end of the day, I think individual experiences play such a huge role in people deciding which country they like best, be it Thailand, Phils, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. You can see this with Roosh and his first and second trips to Poland, and just about everyone who comes to BKK for their first time compared to their second.

I know Fisto and THC didn't like Saigon at all. However, me and my friend spent 3 nights there and had a blast. We have some local connections there that we went out and partied with. Got taken to some good bars and clubs, even one Spanish bar where I had an educated and financially well off Vietnamese girl dancing on me like you would never see a Thai girl do, unless she was a pro. Had another chick making out with me me and giving me a ride from club to club in her car, etc. Because of this, and the fact that it was significantly cooler the week we were in Saigon than it is here in BKK, no gridlocked traffic at all hours of the day like in BKK, significantly fewer white guys, good American style breakfast (eggs, bacon and CHEAP cheese!??) I am damn near ready to move to Saigon.

However, it easily could have been a different story if I didn't have local connections, and if the weather wasn't so good that week. No Vietnamese salsa dancer, no girl driving me around in her car, hot and muggy ass weather just like here in BKK, etc. I could have easily left Saigon thinking, "Eh, doubt I'll be going back."

And I suppose we can agree this is the case with pretty much every place we travel to, everyone has a different experience and you only need to meet 1 (bad) person or go to 1 (bad) party that will completely change your opinion on a place. Maybe having a gf has clouded my judgement on the girls, but I was traveling around the Phils for about 3 weeks before me and her hooked up. Also I was only in BKK 6 nights, not really enough time to get under the skin of the city, whereas I've been in Manila nearly a month now. What I really like about the Phils is the fact there's hardly any foreigners around, that the girls speak English, that there's a lot less petty scamming and ripping off, there's really a lot of reasons. But like I said, it's a personal preference, it's going to be different for everyone.

My intention was not to badmouth BKK so I hope no one takes it that way, actually even though I didn't really do anything there except eat alot and chase girls I feel very fulfilled with the time I spent there, and if the opportunity presented itself I would even consider living there if the weather wasn't so damn hot all the time.

As for safety, I meant the upper class areas of Manila such as Taguig/The Fort and Makati felt safer than say Sukhumvit in BKK. And definitely less scammy. But Makati and The Fort are only a very small part of Manila, I was out in Intramuros the other day and it's definitely a different vibe and much poorer, I'm sure a lot of bad shit can happen around there, and that's not even into the real ghetto part of Manila yet.

Great, honest post from the heart.

I took the MRT in Manila, it is total insanity at rush hour with people lining up for tickets (no ticket machines) and for the trains. One time I gave up because of the wait and it looked dangerous with people pushing forward on the platform when the trains were rolling in. BKK BRT wins hands down.

I have another category:

Quality of other expats. BKK wins this one. Maybe it was just luck but the expats I met in BKK were cooler: consultants, teachers and high speed ex military. The expats in Manila were more on the loser end.

I also haven't cracked the code on how to live as cheaply in Manila month to month as in BKK. In BKK I can rent a decent big room with a balcony and a skyline view near the BRT for 11000 THB a month. Have not found anything like that in Manila yet.

Quote: (05-28-2013 10:07 AM)Sp5 Wrote:  

.... In BKK I can rent a decent big room with a balcony and a skyline view near the BRT for 11000 THB a month. Have not found anything like that in Manila yet.

Is that with your own bathroom and kitchen? How's security, like is there a good lock and can you leave your laptop there?