rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to become a bodybuilder?

Ok, I've seen pics of them. These guys are massive. I get it. And I'd like to be like them. They start out somewhere, acquire certain habits and then -- over time -- get big. My question is, what are those first steps and habits that they get?

Diet: eat a surplus of calories (based on your basal metabolic rate) and lots of protein everyday (1-1.5g/1lb of body weight). increase your carb consumption and decrease your fat consumption on workout days. Do the reverse for rest days.

Strength training: Do a 4 day split. One day push exercises which work out your chest, one day pull exercises which work your back, one day legs, and one day arms plus shoulders. Make sure you incorporate more compound exercises like bench press, squats etc into your workouts. Train in body building parameters so increase the amount of reps you do per set and decrease the amounts of sets i.e. pyramid sets 15 reps then 10 reps then 8 reps at a manageable weight. You can also try and incorporate drop sets.

Cardio: Do low intensity cardio. Maybe go for a walk every morning. Do High intensity interval training once a week.

This is all of the info Ive learned from other forums/youtube.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com

all you need is there

Tell me OP, are you afraid of needles?

A good first step is getting to the gym EVERY DAY. That's the most important part. After that, everything comes next.

Where are you at now in terms of numbers, weight, and body composition?
I second the needles.

Quote: (05-03-2013 09:39 AM)guerrilla Wrote:  

A good first step is getting to the gym EVERY DAY. That's the most important part. After that, everything comes next.

Your muscles need recovery to grow. 4 days a week is good for beginners.

There are many different ways, but they all involve sustained effort for 5 years+. Also, the longer you have the muscle, the longer you'll keep it - that's how you can always tell retired PE teachers or ex-army even if they haven't picked up a barbell in decades. Or at least you used to. Who the fuck knows what namby-pamby PE teachers kids today have to make do with.

One way is to gain strength first, and then add muscle-building exercises to taste. This was my way since I was always a weakling and I just wanted to lift some heavy weight. Along the way I couldn't help but pick up some definition, but I really started to look like I work out once I started the 8-12 rep exercises, sustained holds, different angles etc.

The other way is to just do the bodybuilding exercises to begin with. I'm not such a big fan of this. I associate starting off with isolation exercises with the weaklings in the gym who can never grow.

Also, what is your body type? Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph or a combination? I'm naturally an endomorph (stick thin when young/skinny fat once I got older) so I have to work out daily and eat a lot to maintain a decent physique.

Third, I third the needles comment. But that comes after 3-5 years of sustained work, once you've grown as big as you're going to naturally.

A really good start is to buy Arnold's encyclopaedia of bodybuilding. It's got exercises, nutrition advice, supplement advice etc, and all of the information comes from one of the greatest bodybuilders ever.

I've been lifting seriously for over 3 years now, so i think i'm qualified to answer your question
Quote:Quote:

what are those first steps and habits that they get?

1. Discipline. They're doing this shit consistently You probably heard it a million times, but it's true, and that's because it's at the core of everything, so to say. When you step into the gym and do your workout, you are actually just triggering muscle protein synthesis in the particular muscle you're working, by means of myofibrillated hypertrophy and/or sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Your body has a limit of how fast and how much LBM you can add, so it's extremely important that whatever you do, you keep doing it long-term. I once read in a book an example that went like this: "If you take 2 people, same genetics, one of them gets the best training and nutrition possible, but works out for 2 months, while the other gets suboptimal training and nutrition but for 6 months, the 2nd will make better progress. So working out should become a part of who you are, when I first started i remember watching videos like "10 minute ab workouts on your couch", and thinking it might work. Well 3 years later, i'm still working on having a chiseled midsection while holding enough muscle mass(without the aid of gear).
2. They're always tweaking their diets/workouts, learning new stuff. I used to be obsessed with this. I would be constantly reading the latest research in the field, and obsessively tweaking what i was doing. I'm not saying that it's required, but I am saying this: try and approach any single shredded dude you meet, and ask him something regarding nutrition or training. Chances are, he'll be like a fucking walking encyclopedia on the subject.
3. They put in all their best at the gym, no slacking. I have to admit, sometimes, especially while cutting, i'd lose intensity and focus in my training. The bulk of my gains came from periods of intensive training. Don't slack off at the gym
4. Gear. In the course of all these years of studying, of course, i became interested in steroids. I believe you can't pretend you have full knowledge on any given subject until you've seen "both sides of the coin". So with my research, i'll spare you some time and give you some truths about what steroids and how they act:
- 95% of your "heroes" are on gear. Gear is extremely effective, with mild sides, and pretty much a requirement if you want to make it as a bodybuilder of fitness model
- They are not a magic pill. I've met people with 6-10 cycles that look like shit, no better than an average guy.
Whatever you do, do not become discouraged by this information. It is possible to get an impressive physique without the use of AAS, and you should strive for that..but it takes years.

If you're serious about wanting to start up in this journey, i recommend you start by reading this. I'd like to point out that you need to EAT A LOT. If you want to add mass, you need at least 500kcal over your BMR, your metabolism needs those extra calories to turn into mass. I'd say 90% of beginners fail at this(i did too).

Point is, the only way to do this is by "jumping in", keeping at it and be constantly learning. I started at 5'9 125lbs skinnyfat, 11 inch arms, i'm at 5'9 160lbs ripped with 14.5 inch arms, natty. You can do it too.

Why do you want to get as big as the bodybuilders you see on the internet?

1. Bodybuilders look horrific. Powerlifters, on the other hand...

2. Don't cycle before you know what you're doing -- in the gym, with the gear, and in the eyes of the law. Personally I would never do it but YMMV.

3. It takes time but it's not a question of waiting for success. You have to motivate yourself to work hard every day, stay disciplined with your diet, etc.

I would start by making sure that you squat, deadlift, and bench press. Keep working on those three lifts until you plateau. It should take a while for that to happen.

I'm not going to discourage you or anything but the accepted pathways for becoming a bodybuilder (and a great documentary to boot) are laid out in this movie.

http://iwanttolooklikethatguy.com/

There's a place on the internet to watch this, it's not hard to google. It was on youtube (the full edition in ten minute pieces) not long ago, might still be there, who knows?

look like a pro bodybuilder? genetics and drugs

http://vimeo.com/5792351

there is the first part of that documentary

great tip.

A good first step would be to ask on a forum that has more than 0 pro bodybuilders about how to become a bodybuilder.

part 2
http://vimeo.com/5795288

1. Eat a ton of good food

2. Lift a ton of weight.

3. Do steroids

Find the best coach possible. There are tons of them online. Sort through the garbage. Programming is far more difficult and important than most people realize.

Do the same for a diet coach. The longer you work with them the better they'll understand your body.

Find training partners that are bigger and stronger than you. Don't be the big fish in the little pond.

Stay off the sauce for as long as you can. I'd put a round number of at least 5 years following the above. Probably longer.

Quote: (05-03-2013 09:25 AM)raliv Wrote:  

Tell me OP, are you afraid of needles?

Not interested in that [Image: smile.gif] .

Quote: (05-03-2013 10:33 AM)Hades Wrote:  

Where are you at now in terms of numbers, weight, and body composition?
I second the needles.

Weight: 210
Not sure about body composition on things like body fat percentage and such.

Quote: (05-03-2013 12:42 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Why do you want to get as big as the bodybuilders you see on the internet?

Because I think it's cool and it looks like it would be fun and challenging to attempt.

Quote: (05-03-2013 11:06 AM)augen sehen Wrote:  

There are many different ways, but they all involve sustained effort for 5 years+. Also, the longer you have the muscle, the longer you'll keep it - that's how you can always tell retired PE teachers or ex-army even if they haven't picked up a barbell in decades. Or at least you used to. Who the fuck knows what namby-pamby PE teachers kids today have to make do with.

One way is to gain strength first, and then add muscle-building exercises to taste. This was my way since I was always a weakling and I just wanted to lift some heavy weight. Along the way I couldn't help but pick up some definition, but I really started to look like I work out once I started the 8-12 rep exercises, sustained holds, different angles etc.

The other way is to just do the bodybuilding exercises to begin with. I'm not such a big fan of this. I associate starting off with isolation exercises with the weaklings in the gym who can never grow.

Also, what is your body type? Ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph or a combination? I'm naturally an endomorph (stick thin when young/skinny fat once I got older) so I have to work out daily and eat a lot to maintain a decent physique.

Third, I third the needles comment. But that comes after 3-5 years of sustained work, once you've grown as big as you're going to naturally.

Tall, not fat, but have some body fat around me. Not stick-skinny either.

Quote: (05-03-2013 03:33 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

1. Eat a ton of good food

2. Lift a ton of weight.

3. Do steroids

This.

Lots and lots of 'roids.

Fucking buzzare lifestyle of you ask me but I admire there dedication.