rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Throw your white socks into the trash can

Guys - one of the simplest, most overlooked things you can do to +1 your style is to go into your bedroom right now, and throw every pair of white socks you own into the trash.

I hesitated making a thread on such a bland and boring topic, but after over a year of ditching all my white socks, I am still geting compliments from people. Enough to the point where now, when I see a guy wearing white socks, I know I'm not looking at a man that has a handle on his style.

Personally, I like the look of argyle socks, the ones that go all the way up your calf. You can buy these at most stores in the mall, so buy a few pairs and try them on for size. It's almost like these socks send a signal that you're a man who pays attention to the small things in life.

Bonus tip: mixing and matching argyle socks is another way to add some life to the most basic piece of clothing you own. (for ex. yellow argyle on right foot, blue argyle on the left, etc.)

Bonus tip 2: no, you don't need to be exclusively wearing dress shoes to accomodate dress/argyle socks. Work boots, skate shoes, whatever shoes you're rocking will be vastly improved with a good looking pair of socks.

[Image: argyle-socks1.jpg]

[Image: image475x475.jpg]

They don't work with certain shoes. Ankle socks work fine for the most part unless you're dressing up.

I am starting to feel the socks. All I have are white socks with a few solid black dress socks. Maybe I should change it up.

You still need white socks for the gym.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

You need to keep the white socks for the gym. If you want argyle, check out Uniqlo.

[Image: laugh2.gif]

@IP: true. I just cringe when I see a guy wearing ratty old white socks out on the town.

@TexasMade & Lemmo: of course, keep some gym socks around.

@Houston: I dig your posts around here man, let me know why you've got no love for this idea.

Black socks even at the gym for me. I switched to black socks a few years ago, even my ankle socks.

I see people wearing white socks anywhere but the gym and I feel pity for them. It's almost as bad as wearing any socks and sandals.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Its quite mainstream now. Urban Outfitters is on this so you know what that means. I have been on the sock game for a good 2 years now because its a cheap way to add to an outfit.

Leave the strait up Argyle socks for more dressed up outfits, its better to fuse it with a grey or navy set up IMO as you can work the patterns/colours a lot better.

I fuck with stripes and colours for more casual outfits. I got orange, polka dots, Camo-print, Stripes, etc I'll just throw them in if I feel like and it fits with what I am wearing. Its a subtle way I can look fresh and fashionable in Toronto with out looking like a fucking queer. I used to dress a lot more cool and urban before I moved here but I can't any more because if your *to* cool and urban looking yea girls will give you attention but also dudes and I ain't about that shit.

Its all about how you rock it though and don't use childish shit. IF your going for patterns use classic ones or strong (masculine) ones, stay away from overly graphic cartoon-ish patterns.

Here are some examples:

[Image: EgwsrJf.png]
[Image: 1iqJiqG.png]
[Image: O4vK38E.png]
[Image: rt4f1lY.png]
[Image: mg_0197.jpg]
[Image: Striped-socks-white-blue-streetstyle-325x215.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_ls2w1ws8rv1qzdtod.jpg]
[Image: 6rFJ3Sm.jpg]
^ This dude poses funny but I would wear that outfit better them him though (with different shoes tho).

Off the bat, some people might think that these socks make you look soft but its all how you rock it. You have to pair it with a classic or edgy type outfit that is not going to make you look emasculate. If you wear it with soft shit then you look like a fairy and not like a G'. It looks cool to me and bitches give me complements, so far so good.

Socks and a haircut are easily the cheapest upgrades to your projected self-image you can make... literally. Socks are 6-15$, and a haircut is 10-30$.

Quote: (04-24-2013 10:53 PM)BlurredSevens Wrote:  

@Houston: I dig your posts around here man, let me know why you've got no love for this idea.
Sure brother. I just can't imagine myself wearing these (but I can see them looking smooth with a dark suit). I only wear white socks or black ones when I wear nice shoes. They look goofy to me but I think someone with a loud personality to match them might be able to pull them off. I don't know, I'm very basic with my clothes. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all in them and you have to feel good in something to pull it off. But like I always say, I go after barely legal girls. I can get away with a wife beater and Dickies shorts [Image: tard.gif]

I've been doing this for a while (2-3 years). Hell I rock blue and light blue argyle w/my jeans and sneakers. Or black and grey argyle w/black shoes. i haven't done any stripes or polka dots though. Maybe ill ease into stripes than go from there.

@Houston- its a cool contrast effect. It always helps if when you are walking that its not visible, but if you sit down you get a small flash of socks.

Heres a pic of similar ones I rock.
[Image: argyle-socks.jpg]

This is the look you want to pull off...
[Image: argyle+socks.JPG]
[Image: L1001845.JPG]
[Image: SP_shoes3.jpg]

Edit- I have no doubt kosko has dope style. But some of those pictures are terrible. I want to suckerpunch half of those fools. Its a mix between goofy colors, hipster vibe, and retarded faces.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

My thing is most people hardly ever see my socks.

@IP -its visible when you sit down. Most people will gloss over socks, but if you see a flash of blue, yellow or light gray your eyes draw to it. It draws emphasis to your legs/shoes. Pair it w/dope shoes/kicks its a +1.

Few do this. Its an easy and cheap way to advertise style.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

These are the only socks I wear. You can match your socks with the outfit you are wearing to complete the outfit. Details matter.

The whole folding your pant legs up to show your socks idea is gay.

I see where you're coming from if you're dressing up, but if I'm just dressing casual, I never really thought about it.

Where do you suggest getting cheap pairs of socks like these? Because the dress type socks I've seen are pretty expensive. I saw someone mention Urban Outfitters.

I do like the socks in op's second pic, the blues and greens.

Quote: (04-25-2013 02:49 AM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

The whole folding your pant legs up to show your socks idea is gay.

I see where you're coming from if you're dressing up, but if I'm just dressing casual, I never really thought about it.

Where do you suggest getting cheap pairs of socks like these? Because the dress type socks I've seen are pretty expensive. I saw someone mention Urban Outfitters.

I do like the socks in op's second pic, the blues and greens.

H&M

Brightly colored socks seem [Image: gay.gif] to me. You really have to know what you're doing to have flashy socks and have it look masculine. I only wear black socks. If I get any other colors it will be grey, navy blue or some earthy shades like olive green or mocha brown.

Quote: (04-25-2013 03:00 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Brightly colored socks seem [Image: gay.gif] to me. You really have to know what you're doing to have flashy socks and have it look masculine. I only wear black socks. If I get any other colors it will be grey, navy blue or some earthy shades like olive green or mocha brown.

This.

I think I stopped wearing white socks in high school 20 years ago. Banning white socks should be common knowledge on a game forum.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Follow up to my earlier comment: PLEASE tell me none of you are wearing socks and sandals.

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth

Marshalls, Costco (seasonal thing), Target, etc. Basically everywhere.

Note, I am not for folding your pants up, however if your pants are regular length (aka not baggy and dragging on the floor), they will naturally rise up when you sit. This is what I prefer. Don't openly advertise your socks when walking, let them "discover" your style when you are relaxed, lounging on the couch.

Start w/argyles. Pick one of the colors as if it was a regular sock (black, tan, gray, brown, etc), then second color livelier.

For example, I wouldnt ever wear the red and white argyle in OP's pic.

Edit- I should throw in this makes any outfit seem casual and fun. This is not for work....

Check out Uniqlo for a quality, cheap coloured / patterned sock selection.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Yeah, recently whenever I go out it is an absolute NO to white socks. I only own 3 pairs of solid coloured socks (purple, burnt orange, olive) and I like to wear those, bonus points if they match the shirt. But socks rarely show anyways, unless you cuff your pants, you won't really have to worry.

Unless it is white.. That shit will show when you walk.

Now that spring/summer are here, I will be trying a no sock look. During the day if I wear sneakers, always no socks. At night, I will probably do the same with some type of casual shoe, or maybe add a coloured ankle sock if I can match it to the shirt.

Getting some of these socks displayed above is on my list, though.

Quote: (04-25-2013 10:28 AM)DVY Wrote:  

Note, I am not for folding your pants up, however if your pants are regular length (aka not baggy and dragging on the floor), they will naturally rise up when you sit. This is what I prefer. Don't openly advertise your socks when walking, let them "discover" your style when you are relaxed, lounging on the couch.

Edit- I should throw in this makes any outfit seem casual and fun. This is not for work....

Believe it or not, folding your pants up is a technique smaller guys can use to look bigger. Alternatively, heavy set dudes trying to look slim should never fold their pants up. I just learned this like 3 days ago doing a editing review of a style guide for big dudes.

Quote: (04-25-2013 12:34 PM)Osiris Wrote:  

Quote: (04-25-2013 10:28 AM)DVY Wrote:  

Believe it or not, folding your pants up is a technique smaller guys can use to look bigger. Alternatively, heavy set dudes trying to look slim should never fold their pants up. I just learned this like 3 days ago doing a editing review of a style guide for big dudes.

It makes your legs look longer, with some good shoes with a heavy sole and a good haircut I go from average height to stalky looking.

Quote: (04-24-2013 11:13 PM)Osiris Wrote:  

Black socks even at the gym for me. I switched to black socks a few years ago, even my ankle socks.

I see people wearing white socks anywhere but the gym and I feel pity for them. It's almost as bad as wearing any socks and sandals.

Wearing white socks any where else but the gym is just as bad as wearing a white t-shirt as an undershirt. I cringe every time I see some dude wearing a nice button down in the club with a white t shirt showing underneath. It's amazing how make some minor changes to your style really set you apart from the majority of guys who dress badly.

Reppin the Jersey Shore.

White socks should only be used for happy socks. Then discard. Gym socks aren't needed period if you wear Vibram Five Fingers. I wear black socks solely (pun intended). However, I read on some fashion resource that dress socks should blend your shoes and slacks. So, if you are wearing dark brown shoes and a light brown suit, the sock should be a color in between. This makes sense to me.. for you guys anyways. I only wear boots, so my socks aren't seen at all, even with a suit.

In short, I've solved the sock problem years ago, and am the resident sock master of the forum. If anyone disagrees with me, I'll give you a sock to the eye. [Image: heart.gif]