rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Women "shallower" than men

This is an interesting article that goes against the common thought that women aren't as concern with physical features as men and instead presents that they actually more selective, although it does acknowledge that social status (and I would say game as #1) does play a key role in selection as well.

Women’s expectations of the opposite sex are at least as unrealistic as men’s

"MEN have long wondered what exactly it is that women want. Some pore over men’s magazines, with their promises of “washboard abs”, for guidance. The more scientifically minded look for experimental data. The latest evidence comes from a group of researchers led by Brian Mautz, then of Australian National University. They gathered 105 heterosexual Australian women and showed them a series of digitally generated pictures of men in which three bodily characteristics were varied—height, shoulder-to-waist ratio and flaccid penis size. The women were asked to rate the men as sexual partners.

In an article just published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Dr Mautz and his team describe their results. Happily for the insecure, although the women did indeed find a larger penis alluring, it was not the most important factor. That honour went to the combination of broad shoulders and a narrow waist, which accounted for around three-quarters of the variation in attractiveness all by itself. Height was also only a weak predictor of appeal. That is odd, says Dr Mautz, because other studies have linked height with all sorts of benefits, from higher salaries to longer lives. The bigger-is-better effect was also subject to diminishing returns: each extra centimetre, whether of height, shoulder width or penis size, was less significant than the previous one.

Nonetheless, even the tallest, broadest-shouldered and best-endowed digital hunks that the researchers generated fell short of perfection. “The optimum values appear to lie outside the tested range,” they note, adding that the “maxima are more than two standard deviations from the population mean for each trait.” That means that, for each trait, fewer than 2.5% of the men whom women encounter in the real world will be as generously proportioned as they might hope. Men with perfect scores in all three traits will be rarer than hen’s teeth.

The study is not perfect. There was no danger of the women mistaking the digital men for the real thing. Other factors—such as social status, for instance—may, in the real world, override the physical preferences that the researchers were measuring. And it is hard, when all the subjects come from a single country, to disentangle the effects of nurture from those of nature. It is commonly pointed out, for instance, that men’s apparent preference for slim women seems to be a relatively modern (and Western) construction. Erotica from the turn of the 19th century tend to feature much curvier women than their modern equivalent. Women’s preferences may be just as influenced by the culture in which they grow up.

On the other hand, it is a rule of thumb in biology that females (of any species) are much pickier than males. There are good evolutionary reasons why that is so. Even in humans, who share the burden of child-rearing more equally than many animals, having children requires far more of an investment of resources from a female than it does from a male—after all, it is the woman who must endure nine months of pregnancy and then breast-feed the baby. Women therefore face stronger incentives to spend their relatively limited reproductive resources on only the most attractive men, whose children will be most likely to breed in turn. Back to the sit-ups, boys."

http://www.economist.com/news/science-an...nrealistic

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Good article. It always amazes me how shallow girls are with online dating. It's like they're picking a guy out of a catalogue. The guy must be white and exactly 6ft or above. The shallowness of online dating in particular is going to have huge implications for the human species over this century.

I didn't know this was even in question.

In general, women are shallow as fuck.

"What's the difference between us.
We can start at the penis.
Or scream I just don't give a fuck and see who really means it."
- Marshall Bruce Mathers III

Quote: (04-22-2013 08:17 PM)HotLava Wrote:  

Good article. It always amazes me how shallow girls are with online dating. It's like they're picking a guy out of a catalogue. The guy must be white and exactly 6ft or above. The shallowness of online dating in particular is going to have huge implications for the human species over this century.

Excellent point. Women's complaints about men's standards are a form of projection. If you go through online dating personals, women have a ridiculous amount of hoops guys need to jump through -- some of which are unintentionally comical (see the "online-girl hamster thread").

Men, meanwhile, not only have more relaxed standards, but are often more into quirkiness as opposed to blandness. If you go to a formal gala, you see all the women dressed up in a variety of gowns and all the men in the same outfit, a tux. That's a metaphor for the amount of variance the sexes like in each other and the amount of expression they're permitted to show in polite society.

I don't think either gender can claim superiority in terms of shallowness. I say we're equally shallow.

Quote: (04-23-2013 10:17 PM)SpeedRacer Wrote:  

I don't think either gender can claim superiority in terms of shallowness. I say we're equally shallow.

I agree. I am shallow as hell when it comes to a girl I am going to stick my dick in. No shame in my game.

I think men are shallower than women. If she's hot, I'll want to bang her. I think the right term is women have "higher standards" than men.

"Make a little music everyday 'til you die"

Voice teacher here. If you ever need help with singing, speech and diction, accent improvement/reduction, I'm your man.

Quote: (04-23-2013 11:33 PM)Fitzgerald Wrote:  

I think men are shallower than women. If she's hot, I'll want to bang her. I think the right term is women have "higher standards" than men.

Regarding US/Uk/Aus

Men, generally speaking, go for traits in a woman that are changeable.
Woman too fat? Arms too chubby? Double chin? Do exercise, diet well,hit the gym, avoid junk food.
Bad skin tone? eat healthy , use creams creams or go to the many skin care clinics.
And most men don't even care about boob size or ass size as long as the women is not flat chested or has a pan-flat ass( which most don't).
Too bitchy? change it and get some humility and identify what is wrong with you and forget about feminism.
Ass too fat? Do squats.
Gap between legs too thin? Do squats while holding a ball between your knees.
Lets not forget the huge number of betas banging fatties. I doubt women would " suck it up" and bang a physically unattractive man unless she is a 2/10.
Look at Hugh Jackman's wife( this guy is not superficial)

Now if your a guy, you can get buff, dress well and learn how to game...but 8/10 women still want men with a chiseled jaw, good looks and tall ...all of which are genetic factors not in your control. And if you are short+ average looking and muscular, but not buff, then you stand a slim chance with 8/10 chicks.

The whole world misunderstands this topic.

People think that choosing a mate by physical characteristics equals shallowness and choosing by personality means smarts.

People think so because they still believe men and women are the same on some level and compare apples with oranges.

Actually if you think about it considering that men and women are not the same you can understood that it is directly the opposite.

In truth women value men for their smarts and personality because women themselves don't have much in this department.

And men value women for their looks for the same reason.

Men cannot give birth to children, therefore they value women for their fertility.

Women cannot give birth to ideas, therefore they value men for their creativity.

If you want to buy a computer you will value it for its processing power and memory and not by the amount of liquid it can store, because it is not supposed to store any.

If you want to buy a vase you will value it by it's aesthetics and volume of liquid it can store and not by its processing power, because it is not supposed to have any.

Is then a vase more high-tech then a computer because people who already have vases from birth are looking to buy computers, while people who have computers from birth are looking to buy vases?

Quote: (04-24-2013 01:37 AM)Fredster Wrote:  

Regarding US/Uk/Aus

Woman too fat? Arms too chubby? Double chin? Do exercise, diet well,hit the gym, avoid junk food.
Bad skin tone? eat healthy , use creams creams or go to the many skin care clinics.
And most men don't even care about boob size or ass size as long as the women is not flat chested or has a pan-flat ass( which most don't).
Too bitchy? change it and get some humility and identify what is wrong with you and forget about feminism.
Ass too fat? Do squats.
Lets not forget the huge number of betas banging fatties. I doubt women would " suck it up" and bang a physically unattractive man unless she is a 2/10.

Now if your a guy, you can get buff, dress well and learn how to game...but 8/10 women still want men with a chiseled jaw, good looks and tall ...all of which are genetic factors not in your control. And if you are short+ average looking and muscular, but not buff, then you stand a slim chance with 8/10 chicks.
[Image: troll.gif] recognized

Dude if you are not a troll then you should know that men have vastly more options in increasing their SMV then women who are more dependent on genetics and can do much to ruin their SMV but not that much to raise it. This whole forum is filled with the many and diverse things a man can do to dramatically raise his SMV.

Quote: (04-24-2013 02:59 AM)Mage Wrote:  

Quote: (04-24-2013 01:37 AM)Fredster Wrote:  

Regarding US/Uk/Aus

Ass too fat? Do squats.

[Image: troll.gif] recognized

Dude if you are not a troll then you should know that men have vastly more options in increasing their SMV then women who are more dependent on genetics and can do much to ruin their SMV but not that much to raise it. This whole forum is filled with the many and diverse things a man can do to dramatically raise his SMV.

I should read the forums more . I don't even know what SMV means. I'll just have to spend time in the newbies section and go form there. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Quote: (04-22-2013 08:17 PM)HotLava Wrote:  

That paradox of online dating is that while we are supposed to believe that themore information about ourselves that we give out will produce better matches it turns out that in actuality this information reduces your matches.