rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Organic / Free Range Meats. Worth it?

I've lost 30 pounds and gained some muscle mass over the past 7 months doing intermittent fasting, powerlifting and limiting my wheat consumption to almost nothing. It's working great.

But now I'm wondering if I should start eating organic or free range meat. My concern is the price. Money is tight right now and those $2 a pound Pork chops are tough to resist.

I know that non-organic animals are fed with GMO Corn and Soybeans. Basically garbage.

How much of that goes into the meat?

Are some meats less damaged by these feeds than others?

What's the cheapest organic meat I could buy?

Or should I just eat the cheap (still tasty) meat and chill?

Venison. Find a hunter for the hookup.

Native Americans used to eat deer ball soup for testosterone boost during battle.

You don't have to do that.

Quote: (04-18-2013 01:27 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Venison. Find a hunter for the hookup.

Native Americans used to eat deer ball soup for testosterone boost during battle.

You don't have to do that.

Good idea. I know a dude who goes Deer hunting. I was thinking of asking him if I could tag along and he'd teach me. But this is a great idea too.

Thanks. [Image: smile.gif]

Lets keep this discussion going. I live in a country where people faint at the sight of a rifle so hunting is a pretty rare sport. I would love to know whether the cost is worth the benefit for organic meat?

Definitely. Let's keep discussing this from all angles.

What region do you live in? The closer you get to the source the better deals you can find. Start at Farmers markets and see if you can negotiate deals with the farmers, look in your area for co-ops and food partnerships where you can link up with a few people and do order for half a cow. If you live near Aboriginal peoples and a reserve they can hook you up under the table way lower then farmers can.

It can be done but you need:

A. A car
B. A freezer

You can also go the solo route:

I knew a buddy whom raised his own rabbits on his farm for meat. It costs them next to nothing but the labour to skin and prep the buggers.

I think I'm gonna start hunting elk. I had a buddy who had two freezers full and had to buy another freezer because he ran out of room for all the meat. His house was full of mounted heads. His uncle was "retired" and brought in $50k a year trapping bobcats and selling their pelts. But keep in mind, even though he was retired, he had to spend a lot of time setting up traps for those bobcats. I set up a trap with him once, you have to use all types of scents to lure them in. I didn't go with them when they caught the sucker, but when they did, it was still alive when they got their, they had to snap it's neck. I don't know if I'd have the balls. I would go hunting quail and rabbits with them. We'd come home and the quail, but I'd have my roommate clean them, because I didn't have the stomach for it.

Quote: (04-18-2013 08:41 PM)kosko Wrote:  

What region do you live in? The closer you get to the source the better deals you can find. Start at Farmers markets and see if you can negotiate deals with the farmers, look in your area for co-ops and food partnerships where you can link up with a few people and do order for half a cow. If you live near Aboriginal peoples and a reserve they can hook you up under the table way lower then farmers can.

It can be done but you need:

A. A car
B. A freezer

You can also go the solo route:

I knew a buddy whom raised his own rabbits on his farm for meat. It costs them next to nothing but the labour to skin and prep the buggers.

I'm in the New York area.

Sheesh, I don't think I could kill a bunny. Deer? Bring it on.

Thanks man, good advice. I might scan craig's list for a used meat freezer in the near future.

You can taste the happiness of free range animals.

Quote: (04-18-2013 10:41 AM)megatron Wrote:  

I've lost 30 pounds and gained some muscle mass over the past 7 months doing intermittent fasting, powerlifting and limiting my wheat consumption to almost nothing. It's working great.

But now I'm wondering if I should start eating organic or free range meat. My concern is the price. Money is tight right now and those $2 a pound Pork chops are tough to resist.

I know that non-organic animals are fed with GMO Corn and Soybeans. Basically garbage.

Ey man, check out this site:

http://www.allnaturalbeefco.com/

This is where I order my grass fed meat. They will ship it straight to your place. I bought steak and burger bundle and with the shipping it came to about $10 a pound which beats Whole Foods hands down.

Last time I bought the Mini Deluxe package and it came to about $7.50 a pound after shipping.

Not meat, but if money is tight maybe you should focus on eating organic eggs... $4 a dozen. Cheapest organic meat I've found is ground beef for $6.50 a pound at the farmer's market. Discounts off that price for buying in bulk.

I probably eat a mix of organic scrambled eggs and organic ground beef (as sloppy joes) about 4 times a week.

Quote: (04-18-2013 10:18 PM)TheRookie Wrote:  

This is where I order my grass fed meat. They will ship it straight to your place. I bought steak and burger bundle and with the shipping it came to about $10 a pound which beats Whole Foods hands down.

Last time I bought the Mini Deluxe package and it came to about $7.50 a pound after shipping.

Hah, grass-fed ground beef at Whole Foods is exactly $9.99....(Manhattan)

Quote: (04-18-2013 09:34 PM)EisenBarde Wrote:  

You can taste the happiness of free range animals.

Lol. +1

They do taste so much better.

I find wild caught fish are often pretty cheap and healthy. Bigger animals are pricey...makes me want to learn how to hunt.
-----

Watch out for the details in the grass fed stuff. Often times they are "grain finished", meaning they are fattened up the last 20% with corn.

Bro, if you followed my post it says steak and ground beef for $10 a pound. Alone, the ground beef at this meat plant goes for $3.80 before shipping and probably between $5 to $6 after shipping.

That is a good deal and I would recommend the ground beef or burger lovers bundle alone for those on a budget. The beef is delicious.

Quote: (04-19-2013 07:31 AM)nmmoooreland20 Wrote:  

Quote: (04-18-2013 10:18 PM)TheRookie Wrote:  

Hah, grass-fed ground beef at Whole Foods is exactly $9.99....(Manhattan)