rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Lethargic after workouts

Lethargic after workouts

doing 5x5 program 3x a week with added pullups, crunches, and hyperextensions each workout. Workouts are going great, solid gains and I'd say I recover well. Taking in lots of calories, most of it protein and healthy fats. Supplement with creatine and beta alanine. Arginine too when I feel like drinking 8oz of rotten horse jizz.

But after my workouts I get dead tired. Not just my muscles; tired as in I want to take an hour long nap, but usually I have to go to work right after gym. Anyone else experience this? I usually duck out to grab an espresso but I try to really limit my caffeine intake as I've struggled with caffeine addiction over the years. Plus I hate caffeine crash.

Could it be insufficient carbs post-workout? I'm hesitant to start loading up and lose leanness.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Lethargic after workouts

Could it be a lack of sleep? Too much volume? Sometimes you have to listen to your body and take it down a notch. I find it helpful, every 6-8 weeks or so (depending on the signs I'm getting), to take a de-load week. This amounts to cutting back on the number of sets/reps, and using roughly 60-70% of the weight I normally use. Light enough to actively recover, but heavy enough to maintain strength/mass provided you're still getting proper nutrition (probably going to have to cut back on the calories to adjust for reduced activity level). This is the time I usually cycle off my pre-workout supplement and stimulants in general to get my body re-adjusted. Sounds like you work out first thing in the morning. Also, do you train fasted? Because if so, you should definitely be aiming to get most of your carbohydrates after your work out. Exercise improves your cells' sensitivity to insulin (like an extended fasting period), so it will significantly affect the way nutrients are partitioned and preferentially shuttle nutrients consumed in the post-workout period towards replenishing glycogen stores and repairing damaged muscle tissue.

Lethargic after workouts

You are supposed to be exhausted after working out.

Sounds like you are getting great workouts.

Working at night is a separate issue.

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-10-2013 05:45 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

You are supposed to be exhausted after working out.

Sounds like you are getting great workouts.

Working at night is a separate issue.

Disagree with this.

Dude sounds like a vitamin deficiency issue on a glance. You should feel alert like you just drank a triple espresso after.

Look at your diet and clean it out.

Lethargic after workouts

Are you going to failure on every set?

Lethargic after workouts

WestCoast knows better then me.

Eating alot of fruit helps me re energize after a workout. And, a big bowl of chicken, brown rice, and veges.

Lethargic after workouts

Reduce your training volume by 10%.

I.e., drop a set from 2 of your exercises.

If you're no longer tired, it just means your training volume is too high, you need to ramp down a bit, and then get into the right condition to train.

Due to hormones in the water (women pee out birth control pills and we end up drinking that estrogen) and a lot of other issues, men aren't able to train as hard as before.

You need to "be a pussy" by reducing your training load. Then ramp it back up.

I'll bet in 4 weeks you'll be able to train as hard as you are now without feeling tired.

Lethargic after workouts

@Major Tom:

Sleep habits have been great lately. Full 7-8 hours. I do train fasted (though I drink some protein before the gym, but just powder and water, no extra calories). I usually stop eating around 7-8pm the night before. I usually eat my first meal around 11am-noon.

@WestCoast

I think my diet is pretty damn clean, but maybe I should do a vitamin supplement. Ate a bunch of chicken today, 4 eggs, couple lamb chops, and a kale salad with chopped veggies and quinoa. Still felt dead tired afterward.

@ Every10

Following Stronglifts 5x5 to the T. I'm still adding weight each workout. I had to take 2 months off working out because of crazy chronic bronchitis but I started up again about two months ago. Just stalled on OH press, I'm still hitting all my reps on everything else but I'll probably stall soon on squats.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to experiment with adding light carbs. I'm trying to steer clear of wheat so I'm going to try upping fruits and veggies.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Lethargic after workouts

Could hydration be an issue..?

Lethargic after workouts

In that case, do what mike said.

I'm strict when I say eat clean though, nothing out of card board boxes, not eating out, no more than 4 drinks a week.

Lethargic after workouts

A few things (possibleh!)

Water!
Creatine sucks up water molecules as it enters your muscles. Maybe more water.

Quote:Quote:

Sleep habits have been great lately. Full 7-8 hours.
Let me ask you this. If you were given tomorrow off (No alarm) and you went to bed now after 30 minutes of downtime, would you sleep for 7-8 hours or longer?

Another thing, you sure you are getting enough carbs?

But in my experience, I feel tired after a workout, I have a nap of maybe an hour and then I feel much better.

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-10-2013 06:05 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Reduce your training volume by 10%.

I.e., drop a set from 2 of your exercises.

If you're no longer tired, it just means your training volume is too high, you need to ramp down a bit, and then get into the right condition to train.

Due to hormones in the water (women pee out birth control pills and we end up drinking that estrogen) and a lot of other issues, men aren't able to train as hard as before.

You need to "be a pussy" by reducing your training load. Then ramp it back up.

I'll bet in 4 weeks you'll be able to train as hard as you are now without feeling tired.

Agreed, almost.

Lower the volume, up the intensity
ex do 3x 5 instead but push yourself harder

Try to spend 30 minutes in the gym and get your stuff done quick.

See: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian-y...rainer.htm

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-10-2013 05:27 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

But after my workouts I get dead tired. Not just my muscles; tired as in I want to take an hour long nap, but usually I have to go to work right after gym. Anyone else experience this?

I have the same problem, I've always been tired and sluggish after a workout. Mehdi, the guy who invented Stronglifts 5x5, admitted to the same on his blog once. He manages it by having a nap after his workout. I moved my workout sessions into the evening, and I go straight to sleep after my workout and more often than not sleep like a baby.

I think whether a workout is energising or tiring is up to your own unique metabolism, and how your body prefers to respond to stress.

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-11-2013 01:58 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

Mehdi, the guy who invented Stronglifts 5x5, admitted to the same on his blog once. He manages it by having a nap after his workout. I moved my workout sessions into the evening, and I go straight to sleep after my workout and more often than not sleep like a baby.

I think whether a workout is energising or tiring is up to your own unique metabolism, and how your body prefers to respond to stress.

I like this. After a great workout, I like to eat and sleep.

Quote: (04-10-2013 06:11 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Sleep habits have been great lately. Full 7-8 hours.

You might need a few more hours. Like 9-10 hours a few night a week.

Quote: (04-10-2013 06:11 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

I do train fasted

Shit, that could be the issue. You might want to eat something a little while before working out.

My Bro-Science experience tells me to try this first. Eat a little before the workout, maybe nuts or a more substantial shake. Also, be hydrated and sip water during the workout.

Working out on an empty stomach can often lead to exhaustion.

Lethargic after workouts

You need to reduce your volume. I've never understood the popularity of the 5x5 program considering that its just a rip off of Rippetoe's starting strength. The starting strength program is centered around 3x5 precisely because of this issue. 5x5 is too much volume for a novice lifter, and less sets = heavier weights = greater strength gains.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/fo...088&page=1

Lethargic after workouts

Appreciate the feedback. If I was going to the gym feeling exhausted or totally worn out I'd reduce my volume, but honestly I feel great by the time I get back to the gym. Hell, I feel great today 24 hours later. It's just a window where I feel exhausted after the gym and since I've got shit running on autopilot at work it's not really affecting anything.

Once I start stalling a bunch I'll switch to 3x5. Everything I've read from Mehdi, Madcow, and Mark Rippetoe basically says that if you can make gains, then go for it, no reason to limit yourself.

Going to up my water intake and try green tea after workouts. Has some caffeine, antioxidants, and hydrating. I actually calculated it yesterday and I had about 6 glasses worth of water. I didn't piss that much so my body's probably sponging it up like crazy.

Also going to do some carbs immediately post-workout, I think this will help. When I'm in that exhausted state, I look at the bread and cookies in the kitchen and my body screams for it, so I'm thinking the exhaustion is coming from low blood-sugar. My post-workout meal is usually bulk protein, like a 12 ounce burger patty with 2 fried eggs, some chicken thighs, that kind of shit. I'll probably throw a box of raspberries or blueberries into my usual shake and make that the first thing I consume after workout.

I'll report back.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Lethargic after workouts

Water, and more complex carbs. Introduce a b-complex, large ammounts of vitamin C, and more b-12 - all will help regulate/boost your energy. I work out late at night mostly and do no have this issue, if anything the opposite in which I have to much energy and have to ease down.

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-11-2013 11:46 AM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

I didn't piss that much

Then you almost definitely need more water. Before, during, and after the workout.

I like to make green tea with lemon and sip it all day.

Also going to do some carbs immediately post-workout, I think this will help. When I'm in that exhausted state, I look at the bread and cookies in the kitchen and my body screams for it

So, your body is literally asking for carbs.

I'm thinking the exhaustion is coming from low blood-sugar. 

Yup, sounds like it. 

I'll probably throw a box of raspberries or blueberries into my usual shake and make that the first thing I consume after workout.

That should help alot.

What about some brown rice with your post workout meat?

More water will help. Post workout carbs will help.

I bet those 2 things will fix this issue.

Also, again, it sounds like you are just working out hard and fatiguing your body, which is normal. Yes, you will be somewhat charged and energetic after the workout, but if you are really hungry and fatigued, your body will crash, you need those carbs along with your meat.

Feeling tired after a workout is not abnormal or a bad thing, usually. It just means you went hard!

Find the carbs that re-energize you. Fruit is usually good for that.

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-11-2013 11:55 AM)kosko Wrote:  

Introduce a b-complex, large ammounts of vitamin C, and more b-12.

My uncle, who is in great shape, a former pro boxer, swears by this stuff.

He gives himself shots of b-12 in his ass everyday.

His stamina is amazing. I do believe in vitamins.

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-11-2013 12:09 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I agree. There is a reason pro athletes still drill the stuff into them during games. My South African buddie from football put me onto it and it has easily been the best vitamin for doing simply what it claims it does.

Especially if your not big on caffeine OP look into it. NOW Foods sells boxes of little orange flavour B-12 packs you can mix with water or just take back as is. It provides long lasting energy and is great for overall health.

To me over traning means my glands are stressed and I will know when this happens when my boners are weak as hell and I'm just feeling cotton headed.

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-11-2013 12:09 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

I'm somewhat convinced, from observing my patients, that it's the injection part rather than the B12 part that gives the energy rush. It's a damn painful injection, the pain causes a mini-adrenaline rush, the adrenaline causes your energy levels to bump up. Still, what works, works. If the patient is happy, I'm happy too.

Lethargic after workouts

Dude37, You could be in Ketosis.... Not kidding...... Seriously...... you have utilized all the the Glycogen/Carb stores in the body needed for immediate use and your body is running on Fat as main Fuel, I can tell how my body feels when I am in ketosis. which is a good thing if you are trying to burn some fat.

Gio said it Right about Vit B12 Shots but don't take them everyday , Thats way too much of an Overdose. 1000 mcg shot every 1-3 months in more then enough.

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Lethargic after workouts

Quote: (04-11-2013 02:32 PM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I'm somewhat convinced, from observing my patients, that it's the injection part rather than the B12 part that gives the energy rush. It's a damn painful injection, the pain causes a mini-adrenaline rush, the adrenaline causes your energy levels to bump up.

Interesting theory.

I don't doubt it.

Pain is a great motivator!

Quote: (04-11-2013 02:50 PM)Lothario Wrote:  

You could be in Ketosis.... Not kidding...... Seriously

Ha. We always joke about this but in thedude37s case. It could be real.

Gio said it Right about Vit B12 Shots

Thanks, but, Kosko was the one who first mentioned this.

Just want to give credit where credit is due.

Kosko is a good poster.

Lethargic after workouts

Dude37, You could be in Ketosis.... Not kidding...... Seriously...... you have utilized all the the Glycogen/Carb stores in the body needed for immediate use and your body is running on Fat as main Fuel, I can tell how my body feels when I am in ketosis. which is a good thing if you are trying to burn some fat.

Gio said it Right about Vit B12 Shots but don't take them everyday , Thats way too much of an Overdose. 1000 mcg shot every 1-3 months in more then enough.

The body is quite tolerant to b-12, and your not seeing many benefits unless your pushing it above 1000mcg in dosage. The powder packs I take have 2000mcg and I'll pound back 2-3 at once it situations that warrant it. Other then that a pack a day is fine. Mind you this isn't a IV type shot so the body is of course prosessing it differently vs the immediate hit into the blood stream - It takes about 15-20 mins for it to kick in.

Lethargic after workouts

Well, I'll tell you how I feel a lot of the time right now...

I feel like I'm having hot flashes. Seriously. Anyone take beta alanine? You know that paresthetic response where your face and skin gets all flushed and tingly 10 min after taking the stuff? I feel that a lot of the time, but it feels HOT. I feel feverish. Not in a bad way, mind you.

I just chalked this up as a good thing.

Anyway, I'm back in the gym first thing tomorrow a.m. Gonna pound water and have a shake first thing afterwards, with some fruit carbs. We'll see how it goes

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK