rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Did the economy kill happy hour?

I'm a big happy hour fan. I've swooped many females over my 7 year wall St career, but I've found recently that happy hour is dying.

Do young guys under 30 go to happy hour anymore? I keep seeing less and less people out.

This Thursday I hit up Brass Monkey and the Standard Beer Garden in the meat packing district, and it was completely dead. With the stock market closed on friday, holy thursday used to be a big party night.

My friends yelled at me for dragging them to the meat packing district (i hate it also), and then we went back to the village which was slightly better. I went to Peculiar pub on Bleecker St, and then "Off the Wagon" on McDougal.

But overall, happy hour isn't what it used to be...

Economy? or just current trends?

Here is a picture of the me with a huge ass beer from Peculiar pub in the village : )

[img][Image: qVoX5ya.jpg][/img]

White tee under a button up? http://www.thegmanifesto.com/

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"

G can't handle a beer like that ; )

The restaurants around where I live get a bit of crowd for happy hour because people go in there to eat and get cheap drinks. But if I go to a bar for happy hour, I'll be the only one there.

So I pretty much never go out for happy hour unless I'm eating. No one really goes out until later at night.

Bro you need a better shirt than that....no one would ever know you're jacked. Do you even read RVF? [Image: biggrin.gif]

If i was wearing a g string it wouldn't matter, no women out : (

Thursday nights used to be "game on" for YEARS....

Quote: (03-30-2013 05:21 PM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

Here is a picture of the me with a huge ass beer from Peculiar pub in the village : )

[img][Image: qVoX5ya.jpg][/img]

We just got to the bottom of the reason Suit Game was not working for you here: "Suit" game is not good for Manhattan...

lol...G, you should be working the red carpet at the Academy awards!

Quote: (03-30-2013 05:48 PM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

lol...G, you should be working the red carpet at the Academy awards!

I am actually trying to help.

The white t-shirt underneath blows the look.

Especially if you are wearing a suit.

It says: "I don't know what I am doing, I am not interesting, I am boring, I don't feel comfortable in a Suit, and I am pretty much a dork."

Again, not trying to diss, trying to help.

But it is 100% of the reason Suit Game wasn't working for you.

Hell, if I saw someone dressed like that, I would steer clear so I wouldn't get trapped in a boring conversation.

You said it yourself on that thread:

Quote: (03-02-2013 10:29 AM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

I've noticed that a lot of guys on this forum like to rock "suit" game, but I don't recommend it for NYC.

Everytime I go out after work in a suit (which is probably once a year) 95% of the time I get the same questions. "where do you work?" And if you come back with a made up answer you are in trouble. If you work in finance (which is a small world) you are gng to be asked if you know so and so, and what department you are in.

Anyone else have this problem? I always get interrogated wearing a suit.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-21287.html

No wonder you get interrogated about where you work.

The white t underneath says "Work Dork".

The absolute opposite of a Playboy.

Burn the white t or throw it in the ocean.

Come back and send me a thank you card in 6 months.

Besides me looking bad, there has been less people out...

Someone recommend me a good NYC happy hour spot, and I will report on it and take pics in the near future : )

Quote: (03-30-2013 05:27 PM)Kingsley Davis Wrote:  

White tee under a button up? http://www.thegmanifesto.com/

Only cops can get away with that:

[Image: PoliceUniform2.jpg]

[Image: OfficerOrange_375H.jpg]

Idk my office still does happy hours. I never go but sometimes they have drinks in our kitchen. A few weeks on fat Tuesday they served hurricanes. . I'm pretty sure they were watered down.

HR departments killed happy hour. Let me explain.

Back in the 1990s, happy hours were huge. Entire crews would head to local watering holes and many hook-ups would happen. Sometime after the Monica Lewinsky scandal (1998) HR departments ratcheted up what constituted inappropriate behavior and that included things you did off-site.

Very gradually, over the next few years, less people went to happy hours since once in a while news of someone getting too drunk or wild would filter back to HR and that person would get reprimanded or asked to resign. (Long before Adria Richards there were little tattletales that made it a point to "turn in" men who "transgressed.") This loosely had to do with the "hostile work environment" legislation that was passed in the 1990s but didn't really filter down until ten years later. When it did, this is when I personally stopped going to any events my company threw.

What I saw was that happy hours then started attracting only gaggles of women and when no guys showed up even that stopped. My old company even canceled its annual holiday party because no one went anymore (in the 1990s, this was a huge gala event with hundreds of employees and spouses).

The lousy economy hasn't helped, but the sociological changes HR departments have brought upon office culture have killed happy hour just as much. This country is unrecognizable from what it was in the 1960s and 1970s, which is probably why people enjoy watching "Mad Men" so much. It's gone from being a true pioneer country to the Soviet Union Mark II, where the personal becomes the political, whether you want it to or not.

The trend has definately been down. It messes up my work week game, I'm not willing to stay out past 2am on a work week like I was in my early 20's.

I guess a portion of women are gng to the gym instead, but they don't really look that much better recently...

Either way, May and June are always kickass in NY so I am getting ready.

If you need to wear a tshirt underneath, wear a v-neck so that it can't be seen.

Yes- that blue shirt looks really boring and cubicle.

You have to stand out and look cool.

Quote: (03-30-2013 06:40 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

HR departments killed happy hour. Let me explain.

Back in the 1990s, happy hours were huge. Entire crews would head to local watering holes and many hook-ups would happen. Sometime after the Monica Lewinsky scandal (1998) HR departments ratcheted up what constituted inappropriate behavior and that included things you did off-site.

Very gradually, over the next few years, less people went to happy hours since once in a while news of someone getting too drunk or wild would filter back to HR and that person would get reprimanded or asked to resign. (Long before Adria Richards there were little tattletales that made it a point to "turn in" men who "transgressed.") This loosely had to do with the "hostile work environment" legislation that was passed in the 1990s but didn't really filter down until ten years later. When it did, this is when I personally stopped going to any events my company threw.

What I saw was that happy hours then started attracting only gaggles of women and when no guys showed up even that stopped. My old company even canceled its annual holiday party because no one went anymore (in the 1990s, this was a huge gala event with hundreds of employees and spouses).

The lousy economy hasn't helped, but the sociological changes HR departments have brought upon office culture have killed happy hour just as much. This country is unrecognizable from what it was in the 1960s and 1970s, which is probably why people enjoy watching "Mad Men" so much. It's gone from being a true pioneer country to the Soviet Union Mark II, where the personal becomes the political, whether you want it to or not.

"My old company even canceled its annual holiday party because no one went anymore (in the 1990s, this was a huge gala event with hundreds of employees and spouses)."

This. It's April and the old timers at the slave still can't get over how the holiday party festivities has fallen off.

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"

Quote: (03-30-2013 06:52 PM)soup Wrote:  

If you need to wear a tshirt underneath, wear a v-neck so that it can't be seen.

Yes- that blue shirt looks really boring and cubicle.

You have to stand out and look cool.

I don't have a problem with the shirt. It looks a 1/8th gingham slate blue shirt. Gingham is one of my favorite patterns, especially with the smaller checks.

That being said his shirt looks too baggy, so he should get shirts that fit his frame better.

The problem with such a basic outfit is that it says to me he can't transition to anywhere else, especially if we're talking about anything upscale. To me, that is very important if you meet someone who you'd want to transition with to the next place, and if you're out and open to meeting that someone, you should already have a transition place in mind.

Happy hours are no longer what they used to be. In addition to what the one poster said about HR departments, society has become way more health-conscious and individualized. Many people simply would prefer to hit the gym, do an activity, take classes, or just work later instead of hitting up happy hour. Happy hours are still a major part of DC work culture but the numbers aren't remotely similar to what they were like back in the day.

At least where I live, "happy hour" is the busiest time at the gym. That's where the better looking people are. I avoid the gym from 6-8 p.m because it's so busy.

Brunch seems to be much more popular than it was years ago.

Is brunch the new happy hour?

Quote: (03-30-2013 08:05 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

At least where I live, "happy hour" is the busiest time at the gym. That's where the better looking people are. I avoid the gym from 6-8 p.m because it's so busy.

Brunch seems to be much more popular than it was years ago.

Is brunch the new happy hour?

I've noticed brunch becoming more popular with the early 20s crowd--especially those who recently graduated. It is the "professional" excuse for day drinking (bottomless mimosas, bloody mary bars).

I used to work in London UK over 10 years ago at a consulting firm. On Friday we used to go to the pub at lunchtime and never return to the office. We got really drunk back then!

I've been working in LA for 5 years now, and none of my firms has had a Xmas (or holiday) party. We'll get a special lunch, but that's about as far as it goes. On Fridays people just want to go home early rather than go for a drink. I guess it's to avoid traffic. Plus in LA everybody's scared of getting a DUI anyway.

it's getting warmer out bro...I want an update after this coming Thursday. Also for anyone in Manhattan... today was a buffet in the streets. I'd also recommend doing more event type stuff and maybe one happy hour a week. Kid Strangelove has a good art gallery writeup

I have to find a firm or country or whatever that I can chill in that has a serious and good drinking culture.

What about wife beaters with a button up? You can't even see it anyways. Shit, I always wear white t's under button up's like Captain Planet lol.

I'll show yall how to do it on Monday [Image: icon_razz.gif]