rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How can an endomorph vegetarian build a decent body?

I'm 22 yo vegetarian Indian; 170cm tall, weigh around 60kg (150lb). By vegetarian I mean I eat only plant and milk products, I think what Americans call lacto-vegetarianism. Vegetarianism is my ethical and religious choice so please don't advise to change it. Additionally I don't drink, smoke and don't do drugs either.
My typical diet consists of legumes and/or vegetables with boiled rice or chapatis(flat unleavened bread) and curd, salad etc. plus some unhealthy snack atleast thrice a week.
I have an endomorphic body i.e. I put on fat very quickly. Currently I'm carrying around a couple extra kilos of fat and its getting too prominent on the abdomen and chest. My muscles aren't very strong and prominent either since I sit in front of a computer around 10 hours a day. So what regimen (including change in diet) would you recommend to cut the fat and build muscle mass? Is it possible to both at same time?

Go to the gym. Often.

get on a fullbody 5x5 routine
get your protein (and fats) from whey powder, dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese), and nuts & nut butters
do a slow bulk, no more than 20% above maintenance calories, to minimize fat gains

A vial and a needle.

I've always wondered why you guys don't eat meat. What's the reason behind that?

Quote: (03-30-2013 03:11 PM)Titan Wrote:  

I've always wondered why you guys don't eat meat. What's the reason behind that?

I can't say for everyone but I'd rather not be responsible for killing of animals if possible. I'm not crazy to suggest you shouldn't kill under any circumstance but avoid it if possible.

Quote: (03-30-2013 03:21 PM)FunctionalPsycho Wrote:  

Quote: (03-30-2013 03:11 PM)Titan Wrote:  

I can't say for everyone but I'd rather not be responsible for killing of animals if possible. I'm not crazy to suggest you shouldn't kill under any circumstance but avoid it if possible.

Whatever makes you feel better but that reason is weak.

Plants are just as alive as animals are.

In fact if you eat it raw you are actually killing the plant yourself.

Many animals are killed to make land available for farming fruits and vegetables.

But to answer your question drink as many glasses of raw goats milk a day as possible. Goats milk and goats cheese should be your staple. Also rice and beans all day everyday. Sweet potatoes, yucca, Maduros. Eat as much as possible. Alphas eat the most in the Pack. They consume more calories than anyone else. Betas get the scraps.

Quote: (03-30-2013 03:32 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

But to answer your question drink as many glasses of raw goats milk a day as possible. Goats milk and goats cheese should be your staple. Also rice and beans all day everyday. Sweet potatoes, yucca, Maduros. Eat as much as possible. Alphas eat the most in the Pack. They consume more calories than anyone else. Betas get the scraps.

strong reading comprehension, strong dieting advice, strong everything.

Lentils are also good. A cheap source of lots of protein. Also tasty.

Quote: (03-30-2013 01:29 PM)FunctionalPsycho Wrote:  

I'm 22 yo vegetarian Indian; 170cm tall, weigh around 60kg (150lb). By vegetarian I mean I eat only plant and milk products, I think what Americans call lacto-vegetarianism. Vegetarianism is my ethical and religious choice so please don't advise to change it. Additionally I don't drink, smoke and don't do drugs either.
My typical diet consists of legumes and/or vegetables with boiled rice or chapatis(flat unleavened bread) and curd, salad etc. plus some unhealthy snack atleast thrice a week.
I have an endomorphic body i.e. I put on fat very quickly. Currently I'm carrying around a couple extra kilos of fat and its getting too prominent on the abdomen and chest. My muscles aren't very strong and prominent either since I sit in front of a computer around 10 hours a day. So what regimen (including change in diet) would you recommend to cut the fat and build muscle mass? Is it possible to both at same time?

***scratches head***

It should be too hard for you to hit your macro targets (protein, carbs, and fats) since you weigh only 150lbs but you are really limiting your potential by not eating meat & fish. Your main protein sources should come from nuts, beans, and whey protein.

You cant build muscle mass & get shredded at the same time without taking 10-15 off of your life so you will have to pick one. I would put on weight first (via a carb & calorie surplus as well as weightlifting) and see where you want to go from there.

Quote: (03-30-2013 04:23 PM)Titan Wrote:  

Lentils are also good. A cheap source of lots of protein. Also tasty.

Thats true but he needs to consume a lot to hit his macro targets

Lift alot of heavy weight.

Eat alot of eggs, beans, lentils, fruits, and vegetables.

Fish would be great too if you can eat that.

Another good tip for you: Consume 6-8 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil a day. I usually bang six out when I first wake up. Keeps you big and cut. Also is a good fuel for testosterone.

Can we get some lentil recipes?

I know you got some Gio.

If I were eating what you are eating, I would try eat plenty of your sources of protein (beans, any and all dairy products) and try to eat a little less bread and rice. Try to eat some more fatty dairy products. I think the Indians have pretty solid goat cheese and something called ghee that can be very fatty. These I recommend eating daily.

Then I would read up on everything about Manohar Aich since he was a vegetarian bodybuilder from India. He has already (basically) answered all the questions that you have and has lived to 101 to boot. Still trains.

Don't flatter yourself with an "I don't want to build big muscles" comment that a lot of beginners (it used to be only women) seem to enjoy making, like the only thing between them and Arnie is a few biceps curls and a jog around the parking lot.

Quote: (03-30-2013 04:43 PM)MidniteSpecial Wrote:  

Another good tip for you: Consume 6-8 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil a day. I usually bang six out when I first wake up. Keeps you big and cut. Also is a good fuel for testosterone.
Do you just eat this plain? Mix it with something? I used to fry all of my vegetables in olive oil or butter to get this effect but curious how you go about it.

[/quote]
Do you just eat this plain? Mix it with something? I used to fry all of my vegetables in olive oil or butter to get this effect but curious how you go about it.
[/quote]

I just put the oil in the tablespoon and drink it as if I was taking medicine.

I just got a big tin of imported pomace oil. Going to use that this go around.

Quote: (03-30-2013 04:49 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I know you got some Gio.

Lentils are just like beans, just simmer them in water until they are soft, when they are almost done, I start adding spices, herbs, and veges..

I like to make them spicy so I add chili powder, curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin + chopped onions, potatoes and whatever veges I have.

I serve it over brown rice with a big salad.

Vegans get a bad rap but to can stack muscle without eating meat. Most vegans fall into the calorie trap and just chase Marcos with carbs. If you don't eat meat and are still open to dairy your good. You can achieve growth by just thinking in terms of quality versus quantity.

Incorporate nutrient dense whole protiens into your diet. Quinoa and Hemp are both pricey, if you got the bank roll eat both, if not choose one. Next as others have stated Alice high quality fats like EVOO and Virgin Coconut oil, all are healthy and will help you get calories into you. Palm oil is another healthy medium chained fat and he virgin stuff can b found a lot cheaper then Coconut oil.

Eat a lot of coconut meat in general. This stuff is used to grow elephants in captivity as a substitute for their natural breast milk. It's used with horses sometimes also. Incorporate all of the products from the meat to the water and milk into your diet. A simple snack my old man eats is coconut meat and Almonds, it's a tasty combo and crazy good for you.

Adjust your ratio to where he majority of your starch/carbs comes from beans or whole sources like rice, avoid processed carbs.

Protien sources will come from: eggs, paneer, whey protien, nuts and seeds.

Your protien ratio will be smaller verses meat eaters, but the fats will ensure fuel for growth and since your body is running with less energy to break down flesh it will not need as much protien to shore up that energy defecit from heavier digestion. At your body weight you can get away with 80-100grams daily. 6 eggs and a glass of milk with a scoop of whey is preety much 60 grams right there. Add in a big bowl of spinach and a small side of lentils and you have a big complete meal right there.

Meet IRT's cousin, IDT.

Bodytypes are for folks who never read Sheldon's book, which is a massive load of pseudoscience and voodoo. Most people love to pigeonhole themselves into thinking that they're going to be "hardgainers" or whatever, so they can set themselves up for failure before they've even started.

Spend a couple months cutting weight, do a shitload of interval sprints, and maybe even fast once a week.

You could also try out that juice fasting programming to drop a ton of weight quickly.

Can you at least eat eggs?

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Firstly lift, or at the least body exercise.

Then learn macro nutrients. Indian food can be quite high in calories due to oils being everywhere. They tend to be bad oils too

Other concerns are that Indian food also has a lof of salt.

Also change your chapati to naan, chapatis are cooked with bad fats.

On a micronutrient level, an Indian diet is typically low in fibre and protein, so add more spinach/kale/swiss chard, just blanch and cover is a garlic and butter sauce, try to eliminate it being cooked in vegetable oil or ghee, mixed with onion, garlic and a shed load of spices+yoghurt (unless you're southern indian). Maybe mix with paneer. Eat more eggs.

Eat more fruit in the day, I would recommend apples, kiwis, blue berries... but I don't know where you live thus the seasonality of your food.

You're going to have protein issues still with being a vegetarian, perhaps add some nuts.

Cut out the unhealthy snacks for 3 months.

But ultimately you'll accomplish nothing without setting aside at a very minimum 3x30 minutes a week of intense exercise.

Sushil Kumar is an Indian wrestler who competed in the olympic games (bronze i think). He is vegetarian and in great shape. I watched him at london 2012.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=...B380%3B285

There aren't really any good plant-based sources of Zinc, which is necessary for testosterone production. you might want to take supplements.

Quote: (03-31-2013 11:40 AM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Quote: (03-30-2013 04:49 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

I know you got some Gio.

Lentils are just like beans, just simmer them in water until they are soft, when they are almost done, I start adding spices, herbs, and veges..

I like to make them spicy so I add chili powder, curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin + chopped onions, potatoes and whatever veges I have.

I serve it over brown rice with a big salad.

+1.

I'm eating curried lentils with beef as I type.

Sweet potatoes are a nice touch, too.

I'll throw a bunch of lentils and beans into a crock pot with a pork loin or roast. Leg of lamb into lentils is good, too.

Then all the juices flow into the lentils.

(Obviously that's for GIO and G, not the vegetarian OP.)