rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Feedback on proposed 1 month diet scheme

Looking to finally lose my mini gut. Would this diet / work out routine work?

Length 1 month
Breakfast: 2-3 eggs, protein shake, banana
lunch: something low carb,
Dinner: Big bowl of fruits
(nuts, small snacks 3-4 times a day also)

Every day I'll be doing 15-20 minutes on the stair master at level 12, 10-15 minutes on the bike

Wed and Sat I also see my trainer, we mostly do weights

Current stats. 5'10 170lb, I wear a size 31-32 jeans. MyoTape says Im a 38'

go on this website so you can eat everything you want instead of eating the same thing everyday for 1 month
http://www.myfitnesspal.com

Quote: (03-27-2013 09:35 AM)chyamor Wrote:  

Length 1 month

Every day I'll be doing 15-20 minutes on the stair master at level 12, 10-15 minutes on the bike

Where's the rest of your food?

That's not much stuff your taking in at all. That's one meal for me and that in full probably clocks in at 700 calories if even that (if you add in 1-2 cups of rice).

Plus the Cardio levels are quite low. I have not used a stair master in 2 years so what would be the max setting on it as far as difficulty goes?

What are your weight loss goals?

Would you be open to fasting?

What is your typical Calorie intake now pre-deit?

We need more info to offer a good critique because all I am seeing here is my lunch and my warm-ups for the gym.

Quote: (03-27-2013 10:04 AM)kosko Wrote:  

Length 1 month

That's not much stuff your taking in at all. That's one meal for me and that in full probably clocks in at 700 calories if even that (if you add in 1-2 cups of rice).

Plus the Cardio levels are quite low. I have not used a stair master in 2 years so what would be the max setting on it as far as difficulty goes?

We need more info to offer a good critique because all I am seeing here is my lunch and my warm-ups for the gym.

15-20 minutes at lever 12 for me at least builds a good sweat 4-5 minutes into it.

I dont have a weight loss goal in mine. I'm basing this diet on the myto tape. I'd like to go from a 38 to a 33/34

Ive tried fasting for a month. lost about 15 pounds but 10 of those was probably water I gained back.

Im not sure about my calorie intake. All I know is Ive been between 160-170 for the past 15 of so years.

My problem has always been no matter how little or how much I eat I am always around 160-170. I could seriously go eat pizza, burgers, steak , soda for 2-3 weeks and never really go past my range. I know because Ive tried it. Sounds great but not when you are trying to lose the gut.

I should also add I started drinking about 20 oz of water everyday. Up until now I drank probably 20oz water a month.

Get into Ketosis and stop playing games!

Kosko has some good tips.
If you're looking for a crash diet and have the resources to go very low carb (like >20 or 30 grams per day), relatively high fat, and moderate to high protein intake, that's the way to go. You would need to eat more, though slightly below daily BMR would probably be ideal.

Couple that with one 18-24 hour window of fasting per week and probably a four hour carb refeed (on your cheat day) every eight or nine days and you should be good. I wouldn't go too high on the cardio, maybe a 30 minute fasted walk every day before breakfast should be sufficient.

You're going to drop probably three to ten pounds (mostly piss) inside of a week, but it's not all body fat, rather it's fluids from systemic inflammation.

Going full blown keto can have some bizarre mental and physical side effects so be forewarned. Everybody responds to it a little differently. I did this for a good while last summer and had some pretty bad insomnia and hilarious amounts of energy for a week. Paleo would be safer and more sustainable in the long-term than keto.

Quote: (03-27-2013 10:16 AM)chyamor Wrote:  

Quote: (03-27-2013 10:04 AM)kosko Wrote:  

Length 1 month

15-20 minutes at lever 12 for me at least builds a good sweat 4-5 minutes into it.

I dont have a weight loss goal in mine. I'm basing this diet on the myto tape. I'd like to go from a 38 to a 33/34

Ive tried fasting for a month. lost about 15 pounds but 10 of those was probably water I gained back.

Im not sure about my calorie intake. All I know is Ive been between 160-170 for the past 15 of so years.

My problem has always been no matter how little or how much I eat I am always around 160-170. I could seriously go eat pizza, burgers, steak , soda for 2-3 weeks and never really go past my range. I know because Ive tried it. Sounds great but not when you are trying to lose the gut.

I should also add I started drinking about 20 oz of water everyday. Up until now I drank probably 20oz water a month.

Okay so you don't have a hard set deadline like a trip or anything? Loosing that water weight is key as you won't get into any real fat burning once that is out of the way. I personally prefer fasting as you get more fat burning out of it compared to trying to yo-yo calories and cardio daily.

I still think your food levels are to low. If your not getting an adequate amount of calories/nutrients daily your body will actually just simply hold onto to its water weight. You will burn it of more slowly and delay that critical fat burning. This is the trap a lot of women go through in which they stress the body by just eating rice cakes all day and achieve extremely slow fat loss because of it.

Having a gut is simply just excess fat but also know that your gut will be the last to go. Getting a big gut down to regular levels will mean you gotta be below 22% body fat (if your got some good muscle on you, lower if not).

When I diet I would get 1500-1650 calories. I was below my body's baseline of 1700 so it was ideal for me. Fasting 16 hours per day and the weight was falling off after about the 3-4 week mark. I would day for your goals being realistic it can be done 2 months. Of course you can drop the weight quicker but its gets more dodgy and sketch the shorter you make that window.

The poster whom recommended Myfitnesspal is right on. Use that App track a decent amount of calories for you to take in daily. 1200-1500 would be idea.

Quote: (03-27-2013 10:26 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Yeah.

This is what you want to do.

It's Ketosis or bust as far as I am concerned.

Once you are in Ketosis, throw on the Henley shirt, and watch the girls flock.

Game Over.

Quote: (03-27-2013 10:37 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Yeah.

Game Over.
I'm in Ketosis right now I'll piss on a ketone strip and write rvf on it right now! Or if you don't believe me I'll punch you in the face thru the computer screen

Yeah.

Game Over.

You've noticed that girls are bizarrely attracted to ketosis too?

no offense, but i would take that kind of question to forums like bb.com
from my fat loss experience:
- go with only a slight caloric deficit, which means you need more food!
- try to alternate long cardio sessions with interval training as it is more fun and builds some muscle
- don't try to loose more than a few pounds each week as otherwise you will almost certainly loose lots of muscle mass too

cheers

Why are people telling him he needs more calories when "lunch: something low carb" could be anything....that could mean 2 steaks a chicken and a stick of grassfed butter....

I wouldn't bother with the fruits and nuts, especially the nuts. Also you don't need to snack all day.

Being in Ketosis makes me smell very strongly of acetone maybe that turns lizards on haha

Could someone explain briefly what ketosis is? I searched it up but only came up with carbohydrate depletion, and fat usage..

And to the OP, use myfitnesspal as mentioned. Or eat 2000 kcal daily. If after a week you are unsatisfied with progress, decrease another 200 kcal, but you shouldn't have to provided you are at least moderately active.

Quote:Quote:

Could someone explain briefly what ketosis is?

It kicks ass!

Wow some really horrible dieting advice on this board. Carbophobics anonymous.ketosis is horrible and I would never advise it.count your goddamn macros and adjust accordingly.stop trying to do so Many things at once. What's your bmr? Try reverse dieting first. Il post more info in it later.dont do a ton of low intensity cardio as it slows your metabolism in the long run. Hiit is the way to go

Yeah, this matches my experience which I think is valuable, because being over 50 it is much harder to lose weight for me.
Nothing has ever worked reliably for me since age 33 except very low carb.

I can follow any suggested diet, but I recover slower due to age so I can't compensate for any diet fuckups ( alcohol, too many nuts which are a trap because it's low-carb and "paleo" --but a medium jar of nut butter is about 3500 calories and I can spoon out a whole jar in a day into my drooling, greedy, gorging mouth. Or a pound of almonds as well.)
One thing to be aware of is that if you break down and have a bowl of spaghetti, carbs bind to water which is loaded into your muscles as glycogen, and this weighs a lot so
you may gain something like 3 pounds in a day which is really discouraging. Knowing what happens prevents falling off diet totally.

Over 50 I can't do insane 3 hour workouts or even more than 1-2 real high-intensity workouts a week, or I'll be exhausted and sore for 3 days and gain all the weight back.

One simple way to do it is

0) Water is the most important nutrient ( of course technically it has no calories but it's the most life-critical)
( As you're entering ketosis I am always pissing like crazy, it seems unbelievable your body can ditch that much water. I believe it's from muscle glycogen burning which then releases the bound-to-it water, the body doesn't replace it because it's accustomed to carb re-supply, so it waits for a while expecting more carbs before it starts switching to fat replacement of glycogen) This big water dump will give you a running start in weight loss which is encouraging because you lose almost a pound a day, but it can't continue forever. It shows you your weight is indeed under your control

1) Lean meat, I only eat salmon and chicken but I guess red meat is OK.
2) Vegetables ( no potatos of any kind, Atkins advised against carrots but I find them so healthy I always feel better eating them. A world better than chips anyway...)
3) Small amounts of nuts ( Atkins advised against nuts, he described it as "almost impossible" to control serving size. I solve that by buying just a handful at a bulk store at a time)
4) Small amounts of hard cheese.
5) Protein powder but not too much, 1 or maybe 2 shakes per day, more can end up as too many calories.
6) A good vitamin and fishoil tablets.

That's all. No fruits, fruit juice, nut butter, milk and most important no grains, potatoes, corn, rice spaghetti, sugar, candy, chocolate--none.
It's not ideal healthwise but for a relatively short time ( you should be able to lose the 5 pounds you want in a month at most.) it's not that bad. Probably healthier than what you normally eat.

It's not ideal but if you follow the above exactly nothing is really tasty enough to gorge on except maybe artificially sweetened protein powder ( I've made that mistake) you WILL
lose weight.

The scale doesn't lie except for brief periods of muscle accumulation. I found that if I ate 150+ grams of protein I didn't lose weight, my body was just converting the excessive (3 shakes a day) protein into carb calories.

Everybody's body is different so don't believe me or anyone else unless the scale agrees with the theory.

I have also read research (can't find citation) that variety in diet actually inteferes with fat loss.

The reason variety is bad is that your brain keeps trying to figure out ways to sneak in more calories because it is famine safety programmed.

So you eat some chili ( with beans, a fair amount of carbs), not calculating the portion size, get 60 grams of carbs and fall out of ketosis.
Then a day later you rationalize that sweet potatos are good for you ( I guess they are) and you eat some of those. So you never lose weight and say low carb doesn't work but you didn't really do it.

You'll probably know it if you get into ketosis. It is a distinctive feeling and you crave food much less.

I generally get some headaches in the few days I am transitioning over to ketosis and take some naprosyn but once you see the scale go down every fucking day almost, it is really worth it.

Atkins figured out a lot of the physiology but a lot of women and civilians do it so bodybuilders etc. don't want to use the word, as it associates them with "civilians" but you can read up on it people have forums where they share their problems and it is a good basic model.

Quote: (03-27-2013 04:16 PM)alecks Wrote:  

Wow some really horrible dieting advice on this board. Carbophobics anonymous.ketosis is horrible and I would never advise it.count your goddamn macros and adjust accordingly.stop trying to do so Many things at once. What's your bmr? Try reverse dieting first. Il post more info in it later.dont do a ton of low intensity cardio as it slows your metabolism in the long run. Hiit is the way to go

Do you really expect anyone to take this seriously?

Quote: (03-27-2013 02:00 PM)Hades Wrote:  

Yeah.

Game Over.

You've noticed that girls are bizarrely attracted to ketosis too?

"Ketosis is Game, and Game is Ketosis." - Aristotle, 322 BC

It's when your body runs off fat instead of glucose for energy.

Look up the "ketogenic" diet.

I usually get a two or three day brainfog, and then I'm good to go.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

This diet worked great for me last year and I'm about to start it again. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread...101&page=1. The weight just melted off my waistline.

And yes it is high protein, very low carb so you will be in ketosis and chicks will flock to you [Image: kissy.gif]

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Quote: (03-27-2013 04:16 PM)alecks Wrote:  

Tabata (a form of HIIT) worked well for me, but I disagree that Lo-carb is complex.

It's basically meat/fish (don't spare the fats and oils), water and vegetables. No one I know wants to eat three chicken breasts at once, it's sort of a very self regulating very, very simple diet.

I think almost any careful monitoring will work if you're young and work out.

Posting more on "Macro" later would be great, it's already a technical term to me....

Boat season is coming and I don't play games.
[attachment=10752]

Quote: (03-27-2013 05:24 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Boat season is coming and I don't play games.

GO El Mech!!! You're cooking with... fat..Shit, I want to get some Ketostix now.

So what did you eat in the last day?

Vodka with lemons, Ribs form my buddys roadside stand, Spaghetti squash bolognaise, German bologna with sharp american cheese as a snack.
[attachment=10755]

In 24 hours? That's only like 1200 calories at most isn't it? .Can you maintain on that low amount of calories?
Spaghetti squash is actually squash, not wheat right?