rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

DATA-SHEET- Herbal Supplements

I took a CE course, and thought it would benefit others to have a read. Heres the article.

Edit- Some herbal supplements covered- Saw Palmetto, St John's Wort, Gingko Biloba, Ginseng, Echinacea, Kava, etc etc.

Some things of notes-

1) Some of the herbal supplements towards the end of the article have very weak evidence.
2) Kava can be very dangerous. It potentiates a lot of drug interactions, due to inactivating various liver detoxification enzymes.
3) Be familiar w/the evidence and levels of credibility. IE- Cochrane studies are basically verbatim TRUTH. If cochrane studies approves something, I have 100% faith in it.

Personal experiences- Gingko biloba is great. Echinacea tea had limited effect, but I dont rule out supplement's effectiveness. Valerian root extract was great- similar to valium but 15% intensity.

[img]images/attachtypes/pdf.gif[/img]  Herbal Supplement Review.pdf (Size: 520.55 KB / Downloads: 2066)

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Cliff Notes-Simple break-down located on the big table on pg 34 of the article.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Quote: (03-21-2013 11:20 AM)DVY Wrote:  

I took a CE course, and thought it would benefit others to have a read. Heres the article.

Edit- Some herbal supplements covered- Saw Palmetto, St John's Wort, Gingko Biloba, Ginseng, Echinacea, Kava, etc etc.

Some things of notes-

1) Some of the herbal supplements towards the end of the article have very weak evidence.
2) Kava can be very dangerous. It potentiates a lot of drug interactions, due to inactivating various liver detoxification enzymes.
3) Be familiar w/the evidence and levels of credibility. IE- Cochrane studies are basically verbatim TRUTH. If cochrane studies approves something, I have 100% faith in it.

Personal experiences- Gingko biloba is great. Echinacea tea had limited effect, but I dont rule out supplement's effectiveness. Valerian root extract was great- similar to valium but 15% intensity.

Please break down Cochrane for me.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Zefram Cochrane is the first human to invent warp drive, in 2063, drawing the attention of the Vulcans, and leading to humanity's first contact with an alien race.

Cochrane studies are meta-analysis on research of various areas. It filters for large sample sizes, bias, impact, etc etc. It has a strict methodology of filtering applicable research papers. In short, its the best source of unbiased scientific data out there.

In terms of evidence quality- its goes something like this theory-->personal experience (anecdote) ---> causation/correlation studies ----> randomized controlled trials ----> double-blind RCT ----> metanalysis--->Cochrane studies.

Heres the wikipage for the organization....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochrane_Collaboration

Quote: (03-21-2013 02:35 PM)calihunter Wrote:  

Zefram Cochrane is the first human to invent warp drive, in 2063, drawing the attention of the Vulcans, and leading to humanity's first contact with an alien race.

how did you know my grandfather?

St Johns Wort is completely legit. For mild or moderate depression it has EQUAL effectiveness as commonly prescribed anti-depressions (eg zoloft) with almost no side effects (SSRIs otoh have tons of sides including sexual sides). There is hardly any money in this however so that other shit is prescribed hand over fist.

Is there any short list of the conclusions of the cochrane findings?

Quote: (03-21-2013 08:30 PM)_DC_ Wrote:  

Is there any short list of the conclusions of the cochrane findings?

If you mean this particular study, there is this table at the end

[Image: 1f9fmso.png]

***E = Clinically Effective
**E = Clinically Beneficial
*E = Limited Effectiveness

S = Safe
AEs/DIs = Reported adverse effects and/or drug interactions
UnS = Unsafe